Portfolio of a novice investor

hi just want to know difference between hold value and current value

1 Like

Hold value = No. of Shares * Buy Price
Current value = No. of Shares * Current Price

1 Like

You can change the nomenclature as buy value and current value instead of hold value confusion.

2 Likes

Cool, will do it :slightly_smiling_face:… thanks for the suggestion.

Hi @abhikjha Have you included the MF Holdings also in Trendlyne? my colleague says divided not including automatically is it so… using paid subscription? Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing such an elaborate note on your portfolio allocation ideas.

I would love to hear more about your position sizing strategy (if you have one already) since I see that many of your multi-baggers like CCL, Berger, Gujrat Ambuja etc had lower allocation.

Cheers
Goofy

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Right now, my primary train of thought is around portfolio concentration (and its risks thereof) and position sizing. After years of investing experience and a fair share of pluses/minuses, I can duly attest that these 2 ideas can immensely impact terminal value for each of our portfolios.

At a personal level, I have been able to resist going beyond 18-20 companies. Want this number to be within 10 in the next 7-10 years hopefully. Hence concentration and sizing are 2 key aspects for me.

Unfortunately, hardly any literature (If any at all) is readily available to learn from to build a 2x2 framework to begin with. Hence, trying to pick from my peer network. Do share if you’ve any thoughts about the same.

PS - thanks for sharing Saber Cap’s article. Weekend’s a great time to think laterally :slight_smile:

Cheers
Goofy

2 Likes

Concentration and position sizing is important, as everybody say. But consider a thought…You hold 2 paint companies Asian paints and berger paints. You equally allocate.money to them. So whether you invest in only asian paints or only berger paints or invest in both, your money will be compunded at 25% cagr and in 10 years , it will become 10 times. So if you choose good growth companies, who can grow equally, how does it matter whether you invest in 10 companies or 20 companies, as long as your money gets multiplied in the same manner? Kindly help me.understand this, where i am going wrong…and also what is 2× 2 framework? Kindly elaborate.

1 Like

Formula used for this?

I use the Artos app and it provides overall as well as individual XIRR.

Hey Abhi, What’s your view on Petrochem at these levels ? I feel, its placed in fair value zone fundamentally and I see market hasn’t discounted it’s true potential yet ? Please let me know your take on this

1 Like