Piramal Enterprises Ltd

IT Business
The DRG business was bought under the premise of entering and scaling a lucrative Data & Analytics business focused on Healthcare. As a practitioner in this field and catering to the same sector I can definitely confirm - while being lucrative it is extremely difficult to profitably scale this business unless you are not based in the active developed markets, mostly the US and Europe. Unlike IT outsourcing this is a very local business. PEL brought DRG upto 24% EBITDA level in the last 8 years and now under the new owners (Clarivate) the same business will be monetized at much higher level (close to 40% EBITDA level) making the deal EPS accretive for the new owners.

The IT business was a drag on PEL’s consolidated numbers and they were trying to exit this for quite some time. I believe the exit valuation (5X Sales) is decent and provided a return of 2.3x on the core equity they had put in (in INR terms) over the close to 8 years time frame. This business was 9% of the consolidated revenues (H1FY20) with slow to moderate growth.

Finance Business

After the IL&FS / DHFL crisis and resulting credit tightening the biggest issue was their short term funding catering to long term loans. PEL had CP based borrowings of 18017 Cr (in Sep’18) which they had to drastically reduce as funds dried up for NBFCs. Most of the fund raised over the past year has gone towards fixing the ALM mismatch and now this exposure have reduced to 1,483 Cr (Sep '19).

On the loan book side, they have kept the loan book size at the same level ~53000 Cr over the last 4 quarters while actively working on changing the wholesale:retail mix (wholesale residential RE exposure is now at 48% of loan book). Share of retail loans has gone up from 4% book, 2325 Cr (Sep '18) to 12% book, 6393 Cr( Sep '19).

There is definitely a lot of stress in the books (the 26381 Cr Construction finance book) which will slowly unfold over the next 3-4 quarters and is reflected in their increased avg. cost of borrowing (at 11%, H1FY20). They will definitely target to amass all the growth capital they can garner and definitely monetize the Shriram stakes to this extent.

PEL has taken some drastic steps to course correct and should emerge stronger out of this crisis. The focus is on expanding the retail book with new head of Consumer lending on boarded and focusing on a technology driven lending (following the footsteps of Bajaj Finance). They are also considering inorganic growth through acquisition of retail and HFC book from distressed entities.

The biggest change in wholesale side is co-origination with banks to reduce the single-borrower exposure and focus towards managing wholesale portfolios and earning fee income.

Pharma Business

On the Pharma side, both their Global Pharma & India Consumer Products businesses are at a mature stage. While they continue to optimize this growth (in mid teens) and further tune the EBITDA (already at 24%, can go up to 25% by FY21) - it is not a bad time to consider selling a minority stake in this mature business.

Their focus would be to re-enter the lucrative domestic formulations (as the non-compete with Abbott has ended) where PEL definitely has a strong know how and advantage of having scaled this in India in the past.

Overall, the business is at pretty weak juncture at this point, but given the strong support they have garnered from external partners speaks volume about their commitment. I believe PEL will ride this tumultuous phase and come out victorious on the other side.

For sake of history, we should always remember the now venerable Bajaj Finance once had a pretty shaky start (FY08-09) with very high NPAs (7%+), but they did all that on a lower loan book and came out as winner over the next 12 years. So the opportunity size in Financial Sector in India is humongous and there is definitely room for a long term play!

Disc: Invested since 2016, no recent transactions, not subscribing to rights at this time.

18 Likes

CMP 1600, Rights issue price - Rs 1300. possibility of under subscription means higher possibility of getting additional shares if applied. 23% profit if price holds post rights issue dilution. I expect this company to get re-rated post DRG sale and rights issue capital raise liquidity.

Piramal already started looking for the fresh lending deals.
I’m working with them for few such for my clients.

1 Like

Is it in corporate lending or real estate …

1 Like

The biggest question is if the price hold and another Q is why the existing investors not applying.if I am correct, the current price has come substantially down from previous rights issue.

I think generally a wave of displeasure has spread among investors and it has coincided with the actual problems of the company in terms of Asset Liability mismatch. Company has been taking measures and it is wrong to think of Mr. Piramal as a magician with a magic wand. He is as human as anyone else and in my opinion is making honest efforts to wade this crisis and also create some incremental value.

Generally, people are not flexible to change their opinion quickly unless they see results. So there will always be a lag. Only after the price picks up, people will get on-boarded. Could say it is a peril of analysis-paralysis. So, my take is that if you think at a price of 1300, it provides value, it is wise to apply and at times, it is best not to second guess, assuming that you have a fair idea of the business and promoters. Yes, there can be something hiding (risk of unknown), but what is the chance of it actually being there in case of Piramal.

4 Likes

1 Like

piramal enterprises: Piramal Enterprises’ Rs 3,631 crore rights issue oversubscribed - The Economic Times https://m.economictimes.com/markets/stocks/news/piramal-enterprises-rs-3631-crore-rights-issue-oversubscribed/articleshow/73496070.cms

Davos 2020: There is a lot of demand for credit in India but the supply is limited, says Ajay Piramal of Piramal Enterprises

1 Like
1 Like

When right issue is oversubscribed 1.14 times, Does it mean I will not get shares I over applied for more than my share?

Example : I was eligible for x shares , I applied for 2x.

Now 1.14 times subscription involves my 2x shares or x?

Thanks for your reply…

Puneet

No. It means because of folks like you(and I) who applied for more than their entitlement, the subscription went above 1x. So you’ll probably get slightly less than what you’d applied for over and above the entitlement. Eg: let’s say your entitlement was for 10 shares and you applied for 30 shares. Since the overall subscription is 1.14 x, you’ll end up getting 27-28 instead of 30.

6 Likes

you could look up this link. Piramal’s name will appear in the drop down menu when the allotment is completed.

https://linkintime.co.in/RIGHTSISSUE/rightsissues-chkApp.html

The Extra-Ordinary General Meeting of Piramal Enterprises will be held on February 13, 2020 to get the approval of shareholders for the DRG business. Most of the proceeds will come in as soon as the sale concludes. It remains to be seen how much special dividend the company gives its share-holders.

When Piramal sold its stake in Vodafone at a 51 per cent profit in 2014, a hefty dividend of Rs 52.50 per share was disbursed to share-holders. A similar payout this time would result in an outgo of around Rs 1100 crore rupees. However it would give a lot of confidence to investors who are worried about the quality of the NBFC’s loan book.

Since they need capital for the finance business, I don’t think there will be any special dividend, apart from the regular payout. The earlier payout was because the then business was not such capital intensive as the finance business is now.

2 Likes

MCap is Rs. 38000cr of which pharma is valued at Rs. 18000cr. So, NBFC is valued at Rs. 20,000cr. This NBFC has raised Rs. 10,000+cr via rights, prefs and sale of DRG, and still has Shriram ammo. Seems undervalued, subject to no significant mess on their books.

Again they want to sell 20% pharma…I still dont understand the rationale behind it…
Is AP losing it all the way?

P.S Highest PF allocation

I thought about it. So, Mr. Piramal had told much earlier, even before crisis hit, that Pharma and Financials would be separated. So, that is now being done. May be it’s a bit unfortunate that it is happening now and being viewed negatively. Had there been no crisis, this would have been portrayed as value creation and possibly happened say in 2021 or 2022. Current situation has just pre-poned the event and there’s a stake sale instead of a pure demerger. Clarity will emerge in a week or so.

if AP is selling 20% stake for $500mn , piramal pharma is valued at just 3.5 times revenue , which i feel is a bit cheap for a business growing at decent pace.

Disc: invested

1 Like