Piramal Enterprises Ltd

I had sold of my Piramal holdings after news of the link with politician. When we emphasis on ethics, we should appreciate government actions unless it is witch hunt.

Does any one have any idea about india re-it fund scheme-V.

1 Like

What do you want to know?

Actually I have an investment with them which they were supposed to give return now by this time but they are not responding at all.Apart from that unable to understand the prospect of this investment also.

can you please point me source about this? which politician has anything to do with piramal?

1 Like

Many of the investments (lending) made by the fund are badly stuck at the moment, and they have asked for an extension in the tenure of the fund. We will have to wait to see what is the final return. Hope at least they will give full capital back.
It has been one of the worst performing real estate funds in India in recent years, as far as I know.

Can scan through Bloombergquint news of May 08, 2018 or earlier The Wire news report. Do not know what is the truth. When you hold somebody in a high esteem, news like this made me uncomfortable and sold my holdings.

Thanks, @KunalKothari for your prompt response. I was in the thought that this re-it was supposed to do well since Piramal ent was doing better than peers. seems the picture is now different. Any regulatory norms donā€™t work here??

Can you please point out to the source of this information about Piramalā€™s Real estate fund performance? I heard murmurs but have not come across any data in public domain.

There have been recent articles on the same, in the Mint and elsewhere too I believe. Please Google it, I think you will find easily.
However, I donā€™t think the real estate fund in question has anything to do with the listed entity, at least not directly.

Thanks. After checking, I have found out that real estate funds are owned by Piramal Fund Management Pvt Ltd. which is a 100% subsidiary of PEL. So IndiaREIT funds are part of PEL :worried:

2 Likes

Check this article. This also has my views on the RE sector.

1 Like

Could you share the summary of the article as it is paid
Thanks

3 Likes

Surprised to see it is hitting 52 weeks low more oftenā€¦only thing we know is real estate is in deep troubleā€¦any other views from fellow boarders ?

1 Like

Isnā€™t that enough of a factor for a company lending to real estate? It has always been a factor imho but it never figured when HFCs were hitting all time highs early last year. It didnā€™t pass the basic smell test as registration of properties was dropping and inventories have been piling up for years now. It could have been nothing but financial engineering.

5 Likes

Okay, so takingn this logic furtherā€¦
PEL is in trouble because real estate is in troubleā€¦
But then, does it mean real estate will be in dumps forever ?
Even if one buys the arguement that younger generation isnt buying properties and prefers to rent, that rented house should be bought by someoneā€¦ isnt it ?
My point is, PEL is down bcoz of its RE exposure. RE will sooner or later turn up and PEL will be back on track.

Remember the old adage ā€œThe market will remain irrational much more than you can remain liquidā€. Real estate will certainly revivie one day, but will company like PEL be unaffected by the downturn?

On the other hand, I remember management has said that they two loan coverage ratio of 200, which in my view means that for every one Rs loan, they have assets of around Rs 2. So even if the assets prices to collapse by 50%, they are still very well covered. However, if these assets are financial assets, they can go down much lower.
The panic in financial stock looks a lot similar to what is felt in the days of 2008. Not sure how long will it last, time will tell.

2 Likes

In case somebody is thinking, Indian economy will revive without real estate revivalā€¦we are living in foolā€™s paradise. Real Estate is integral part of any countryā€™s economy and generate jobs

Only thing, in PEL, your patience will be tested. In case you get influenced about doomsday forecast about real estate, then just think what happened to Chola and BFIN in 2009-11 periodā€¦

I feel PEL will reduce its RE exposure further. Mr.Piramal in the last interview mentioned it is 46%ā€¦that is down from 82%! 2 years agoā€¦

3 Likes

Also while going through above thread, did Google search and came across this.

So here the amount in question is 562 Cr. So lets see all of this is defaulted, how much difference will it make to the PEL Balance sheet.?
Hardly any. So why to panic this much?

My personal opinion.
Disclosure - Not yet invested. Will enter once it falls down below 1500.

Vikas