PI Industries - Superior Business Model

Posting here my detailed reply to a leading analyst’s query on target price as well as investment horizon for PI Ind. :

Have already sent pdf of the latest annual report to you in previous mail…

As you must be aware, the current market price of PI Ind. is Rs. 795.

With rgds. to investment horizon and target price, frankly speaking, its the stock for the long haul as if the story materialises as expected, the current rate could be a history…since its main story will unfold from FY13 onwards, once its new plant for CSM segment will operationalise fully (in last qrtr. of FY12)… It will be FY13 which will see exponential jump in topline coupled with good expansion in margins as current CSM order book of around Rs. 1350 cr. is almost 6 times its current topline of CSM segment.

Also, the business model which PI Ind. has adopted is a unique one in India and there are almost no comparable peers domestically…95 % of the current CSM business as well as the order-book of PI Ind. comprises of patented molecules which no other company of India has… The closest like-to-like business model is of Divis Lab. which already trades at 25+ price-to-earning-multiple as compared to PI Ind. 14 pe-multiple… Internationally, PI Ind. competes with the likes of Lonza, DSM and Saltigo and is succesful in winning orders against them which is evident from its robust order-book.

Even PI Ind. second operational segment, viz., Agri-Input, follows a unique business model of focus on innovative patented molecules rather than generic ones and the company is expected to derive far superior margins alongwith good growth (of course dependent on monsoons) because of its in-licensing focus. The strong positioning of Pi Ind. in agri segment is evident from the fact that in FY11 it has clocked highest growth of 36 % which no other company,including likes of Rallis, Bayer, Insecticides and Dhanuka, was able to achieve.

The third and the most important aspect of PI Ind. is its R&D capability because of which it was able to forge a collaboration with the electronics giant Sony Corp. just 6 months before in Jan.2011. They both have set-up a joint R&D centre here in India to invent organic chemicals to be used in futuristic products like flexible televisions and Solar, and once something comes out of this R&D centre within two or three years, PI Ind. will be a joint patent-holder alongwith Sony for that and will also be one of the prominent supplier for the same which will see it command a much higher valuation (in terms of multiples and all) on the bourses.

All and all, when we have a company which has a clean management with a decade of growth track-record, and the backing by the likes of Standard Chartered PE and Halcyon Resources; which has already achieved a reasonable scale of around 700 cr. as also a low floating stock of hardly 10 % (since 64 % of the equity is held by promoters, 9 % held by PAC, 15 % held by Standard chartered PE and 2 % held by Halcyon Resources and its Associate) and still the counter is available at a trailing 12 month p/e of just 14.9 (on expanded capital of 12.52 cr.) and a forward FY12e p/e of just 11.3 and FY13e p/e of just 6.1 its a rare thing since the company, which otherwise should get a scarcity premium because of its unique and derisked business model and low floating stock is actually available at a discount.

Hence, I feel that this stock has to be for the long haul and no specific target can be put on it as once the rerating happens the current rate should be the history. I am ataching here the reports that I feel are a must read before taking any kind of exposure to the stock… In case you require past 10 years annual reports of the company as well as the audio transcript of the concall then do tell me I will be more than happy to provide you the same.

Your valuable views are invited and feel free to get back to me in case of any further query.

Rgds.

1 Like

If results announced by Rallis today are anything to go by, PI Ind. might report robust Q1FY12 numbers on 26th July.

Rallisin Q1FY12saw its topline increase by almost 45 % (consolidated – standalone = 18 %)… even if we exclude here Metahelix numbers which was not there last qrtr., then also it saw a 36 % jump which is excellent…

PI has been outperforming the growth rate of all other listed agrochemicals players in terms of growth rate since last two years… for ex. in last Q1FY11, Rallis saw its topline jump by 20.5 % while PI saw its topline (Agri-Input) jump by 42 % in Q1FY11…

In this Q1FY12 even the headwinds that were faced by CSM segment last year should not be there since already commercial production of 4 molecules have started in second half of last fiscal…

Hence, both its segments should report healthy growth rates which could lead to a robust qrtr.

Rgds.

The way PI is showing strength in terms of stock price I think results are bound to be blockbuster. Some day the scarcity premium is going to take this one to dizzy unexpected heights.

2 Likes

Aka Page :slight_smile:

The heights.

The results just announced… topline grows 58 % with EBITDA margin of 20.8 %…

Results Way ahead of expectations… prima-facie seems will easilytouch 1000 cr. revenue this fiscal itself with EPS of Rs. 75 + if this growth is led by agri-input segment.

Details are awaited will keep posted.

PI INDS Q1 FY 12 RESULTS

PERIOD

Q1 FY 12

Q1 FY 11

FY 11

FY 10

SALES

OP

PBIT

NP

27*

*NET PROFIT FOR THE QUARTER IS 48 CRORES (WHICH INCLUDES EXTRA ORDINARY GAIN OF 30 CRORES â ADJUSTED FOR TAX PAID AT 30% THIS COMES TO AROUND 21 CRORES) AND HENCE NET PROFIT IS AROUND 27 CRORES (ADJUSTED FOR EXTRAORDINARY) AGAINST 9.76 CRORES IN Q1 FY 11.

CURRENT MARKET CAP IS AROUND 1156 CRORES AND LOOKING AT THE FIRST QUARTER PERFORMANCE THE COMPANY MIGHT DO AROUND 100 CRORES OF NET PROFIT FOR FY 12. EFFECTIVELY THE STOCK IS AVAILABLE AT 11-12 TIMES FY 12 EARNINGS EVEN AFTER THE RECENT RUN UP.

mahesh will have to revise his estimates upwards after the first quarter results.

19th August fixed as record date for split…

Rgds.

Hi Mahesh, excellent find and great job once again! I think the UC has been reached for today. Split might address the liquidity issue certain extend right? Do keep us updated.

Thank You

Vinod

Congrats Mahesh For ur Super Picks !!

Details pour in from press release … link attached below :

http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/PI_Industries_Ltd_270711.pdf

Exact figures of each of the segments will be known shortly… But, as per initial calculation from the release it seems Agri-Input has contributed around 125 cr. while rest 80 odd cr. has come from CSM which is a very positive sign since CSM has to perform satisfactorily this year and exponentialy grow next year once new plant gets operational.

80 % growth in agri-input in Q1 again places PI way ahead of all other listed players including bigger and smaller ones which will compel the markets to give it the valuation at par with Rallis which again has a sound business model with great visibility… It seems that the company must have benefited heavily from Nominne Gold and the new product that was launched in Soyabean segment as both these crops have seen higher acreages this year inspite of uneven rainfall…

80 % growth in CSM segment is not surprising since last fiscal actually it had a degrowth in same because of delivery issues…

All and all its a robust result since its led by agri-input business and considering the fact that traditionally Q1 has been the leanest qrtr. for PI in terms of topline of agri-input segment, its very well possible that this fiscal PI might surpass Dhanuka and Insecticides in terms of revenues of agri-input segment alone.

Rgds.

Another striking feature of this qrtr. which missed my attention before is the 46 % reduction in debt levels to 133 cr. which will help to post even better net margins in remaining qrtrs…

This was the only concern financial fraternity had of high debt of 248 cr. which many analysts and fund managers pointed out in last concall… now that is reduced in a single qrtr. to 133 cr. which signals the seriousness of the management to address financial fraternity concerns and if management continues like this it will command much higher multiples on the bourses.

Rgds.

Mr. Salil Singhal today gave an interview to ETNOW on Q1FY12 numbers… will post transcript once available… Key Takeaways were :

(1) The growth seen in Q1FY12 in both the business segments is very well sustainable for remainder of the year.

(2) Order-book in CSM business is at US$ 340 mn. as on date.

(3) Capacities are fully booked for this year in CSM business and the business has a good visibility over next 3 years based on firm order-book.

(4) The new plant is likely to get operational in Q4FY12 i.e. by Q1 of next calendar year.

(5) EBITDA margin for the year are likely to be around 20 %.

(6) There is no immediate fund-raising plan on the anvil as present debt and internal accruals are sufficient to serve the orders.

Mahesh, would like to know your view on the current stock price and valuation. After touching the UC yesterday it didnt move up today as expected…but overall it was bad day for the market. Has the growth prospects for this year been priced in?

Rgds

Vinod

Vinod… While investing we don’t have to look at day-to-day stock prices as any short term move in prices whether up or down doesn’t change view what we have to look at is every development with regards to the company… Also, it takes time for market to rerate a stock and every upmove if followed by a consolidation gives more strenght to the next upmove…

Now, to say rgdg. my views on the current price and whether current year’s growth is priced into the stock or not… I will be able to say with more conviction over the weekend once the interaction with management happens most probably tommorow.

However, since I track the company and its business for a long time, if I put my rough analysis, then if the monsoons don’t create any severe situation, this year should be the blockbuster year for PI in terms of both topline and bottomline and this will clearly be led by Agri-Input segment which was not atall factored in before for such stupendous growth this year…

This is because you see if my calculations are correct, for Q1 Pi has attained 125 cr. from agri-input… now if I extrapolate it to just normal every year’s growth that PI has attained for the remaining 3 qrtrs. then it leads me to a Fy12 topline of 680-710 cr. from agri-input alone…

Now, rgdg. the margins, they will be extremely healthy this year if I talk specificaly rgdg. agri-input segment because, if I read between the lines of the interview given by Mr. Salil Singhal to ETNOW today, the company has shrewdly stocked-up the raw material last year at lower rate and that its going to use this year for its produce…

Now, if I see the situation on grounds, on an avg. 15 % rise has been effected by agrochemicals cos. for their products collectively over last qrtr… for some products it is as much as 30 %…

Now, the product basket PI has, all enjoy good market-positioning and some of its products like Colt andComet and to some extent Roket are actually in short-supply domestically at present and their imports are even costlier this year because of price increase by china…

All these has put PI into a sweet spot this year as far as agri-input segment goes in terms of both topline and bottomline…

Now, CSM segment has performed satisfactorily as expected this qrtr. and there is least possibility of it missing 320 cr. topline target in FY12… as all know CSM segment has always enjoyed EBITDA margins of 21-22 % so this year also same should be maintained if not improved.

Before Q1FY12 result declaration I had a projection of 875 cr. topline for PI collectively in FY12 with an EBITDA of 158 cr which I had communicated in interaction with Hitesh before… Frankly speaking, even I had not expected such robust performance of agri-input segment and its a pleasant surprise…

Hence, now what we have is , if my extrapolation and calculations are correct, PI should end at roughly 1000-1020 cr. topline in FY12 with an EBITDA of 198-202 cr. and if it is able to maintain the current reduced debt level of Rs. 133 cr. thenPAT should very well come at 109-111 cr. without exceptional gain of 30 cr… which puts to a diluted EPS without exceptional gain to around Rs. 87-88 for FY12…

Now, if we consider the present price of Rs. 1100 then it discounts FY12e EPS by just 12.6 timeswhich is very low for a company of calibre of PI… Here, if one just considers the likely scenario of Fy13 when its new plant will be fully operational and which is fully tied for coming 3 years… from current rate the downside looks limited… The question is only of upside and it will come as and when one after another constituent of market doesn’t find required quantity of stock to stock-up of this growing company and he raises buying rate at every passing duration…If the calculations as mentioned by me turn out to be right then once the visibility of such figures come probably after Q2 or Q3 it should quote at a minimum p/e of 15 FY12e and that should be the base rate of buy and the upper limit has to be 25-30 p/e Fy12e because still the CSM segment which is the main story of PI is yet to show its performance in FY13.

Having said all these… let the interaction with management happen then I will be in a clear position to give projections.

Rgds.

1 Like

I think markets have not realised the potential of PI fully. Personally I feel there is a long way to go. If first quarter results are anything to go by then eps for fy 12 will be in excess of 80 and based on optimistic pe of 20 it can go up to 1500-1600 bcos six months into fy 12, people will start discounting fy 13 projections.

1 Like

Absolutely on dot hitesh bhai, and congrats mahesh for finding this one, gr8 work, actually people are not yet believing the P.I. story as yet, that gives us an opportunity to load up. Till the big guys recognize it fully, its a perfect candidate for investment once the split is in place.

Thank you Mahesh for finding this gem. It is really a compelling story, though it took some time for me to understand Good to know the debt levels are reduced Jul quarter as they mentioned in the conf call. Do you see any impact on CSM margins of 21 to 22 % due to foreign exchange fluctuations? Is it covered on that front?

Yes Ramana, CSM contracts cover the fluctuations of raw material, currency as well as low delivery off-take… To say in other words, only the risk associated with Pi in CSM segment is the delivery execution risk. Hence, 21 % + EBITDA margins can very well be expected and be further improved upon once the new plant gets fully operational.

Rgds.

1 Like

Link to latest report from Daulat Caoital on PI Industries :

www.scribd.com/doc/61362190

Rgds.

Key takeaways from the Q1FY12 Concall of PI Industries :

1. Agri-Input segment grew by 84 % YoY to stand at Rs. 145 cr. in Q1FY12.

2. CSM segment grew by 83 % YoY to stand at Rs. 62.1 cr. in Q1FY12.

3. CSM segment has the current order-book of USD 340 mn. (~INR 1500 cr.) and has a great visibility of business and will be the key growth driver going ahead.

4. EBITDA for the qrtr. Was at Rs. 43.2 cr. which translates into an EBITDA margin of 20.89 %, a 596 basis points expansion YoY. Such healthy EBITDA margins were the result of better product-mix in both the operational segments, benefits due to inventory whose price had escalated and intelligent input-cost management.

5. Company expects to improve EBITDA margins further even from current levels in the next two to three years taking into account product-pipeline and sales visibility that the company has in both the operational segments.

6. Agri-Input segment attained margins of around 19 % while CSM segment attained margins of around 22-23 % for Q1FY12.

7. Balance Sheet for the qrtr. has improved significantly with debt level getting reduced from Rs. 248 cr. as at 31st March 2011 to Rs. 133 cr. as of 30th June 2011. Working Capital Turns have improved considerably from around 3 as at 31st March 2011 to 4.6-4.7 as at 30th June 2011. Debtors level is at Rs. 146 cr. (31st March â 177 cr.) and inventory level is at Rs. 185 cr. (31st March â 147 cr.).

8. Planned CAPEX is at Rs. 125 cr. spread over two years including current year for commisioning of new multi-product plant for CSM segment. Erection-Installation-Development work is going on at full swing since last 4 months, equiplments and machinery are already ordered and some have already reached the site and the company is expecting to commision the plant by December 2011 or latest in Q4FY12.

9. Company plans to launch two new products in this fiscal year in Agri-Input segment (one is a broad-spectrum insecticide), most probably in Q2 and Q3. In all, as on date, company has a pipeline of 7-8 products to be launched in the span of coming 3 years in Agri-Input segment.

10. Company will think of raising its 40 % growth guidance given for FY12 after seeing the business of Q2FY12 which is the most critical quarter for Agri-Input segment. Till the month of July 2011, the qurter has performed as per the expectations.

11. Company follows a unique business model (as far as CSM segment is concerned) of focus on patented and early-life cycle molecules which derisks it from almost all the adversities of business. Also, there are only handful of companies operating in Europe and Japan which follow similar business model with no competition arising from India as also China. To add further, the probability of emergence of any competition in near future is also very low becuase of intense entry barriers as well as tremendous efforts required to establish such a business model. To get the business related to patented or early lifecycle molecules, a sound and rigourous internal control and quality system has to be in place which requires many years; IPR-respect is the prime criteria for such business-relationship and it has to be depicted by building relationship with the innovator over many years ; A company wishing to procure patented or early-lifecycle molecules related business has to go through a strict evaluation process by the innovator company at many levels which takes atleast 2 to 3 years.

12. PI Industries has built a strong association with innovator companies around the world, especially in Agri space, over the span of last 12 years by demonstrating utmost repect to IPR while formulating a no-conflict business model and over last 3 years it has been busy charting out the strategies to benefit the most out of such association and unique business model. The exponential growth that the company has registered since last few quarters has been the result of the same and is expected to continue over next many years with good expansion in margins.

Conclusion :

Before concall I was expecting that Pi might have grossed 125 cr. from agri-input segment in Q1FY12 but it has turned out to be even better at 145 cr. which is really a pleasant surprise.

The margins of agri-input segment have almost expanded 250 basis points which augurs well and depicts efficient management by the company of input price fluctuations. Although, I feel that to end fiscal FY12 with a 19 % margins in agri-input space might be a daunting task as two new products are planned to be launched in next six months which might put slight pressure on margins. However, 17.5-18 % margins are easily achievable in agri-input segment on a yearly basis.

Now, to come to my earlier stated point asto why this year might be the blockbuster year for PI as far as agri-input segment goes… If i just cite here the example of last year i.e. FY11, Q2 was the highest qrtr. as far as revenues were concerned (for agri-input segment). It clocked almost 123 cr. in Q2FY11 from agri-input alone… This is the reason why before upping the guidance of FY12, management rightfully decided to wait for the performance of Q2FY12… This depicts the quality of management to under-promise and over-deliver which is a healthy sign.

Now, forget the astonishing 84 % growth that Pi’s agri-input segment registered in Q1 and evenif I take just a nominal 30-40 % growth for Q2FY12, it makes me believe that PI will easily surpass Dhanuka and Insecticides in FY12… Now, here I have not calculated the upside that could arise from newly launched products in case they are received very well by the channels and end-farmers.

As far as CSM segment is concerned, a 83 % growth YoY is on a lower scale and so immaterial and in any case, for CSM business the real growth stroy will start from FY13 onwards once the new plant gets fully operational. Just consider here a simple case, a 1500 cr. order-book is pending and already company has 25-30 molecules still in the pipeline under evaluation as on date which equal to a similar amount (each molecule has avg. revenue generating potential of 10-15 mn. USD)… The interesting thing here is that majority of these molecules are from non-agri space which depicts a good diversification as far as segmental order-bookis concerned.

Sony-PI relationship is proceeding as per schedule and although analysts tried to put words in management’s mouth to speak out regarding meaningful contribution from the venture in FY13 but I expect a joint patent to be filed by PI-Sony in FY14 only and this centre could very well become a billion dollar opportunity for PI incoming decade.

To conclude, I will base my FY12 expectations based on Q2FY12 topline (as margins are not a concern)… If its able to achieve a toplinein excess of250 cr. for Q2FY12 then no one can stop PI Industries to attain a 1000 cr. revenue mark this fiscal itself with EBITDA of around Rs. 200-210 cr. and PATof Rs. 105-110 cr. without exceptional gain which entails to an EPS of Rs. 84 on the conservative side.

Please free to ask any query…

Views are invited…

Rgds.