Multi-Disciplinary Reading - Book Reviews

Russell Napier has chosen four key Wall Street slumps of 20th century and dissected it to find the cause & effect of those bear markets of 1921, 1932, 1949 & 1982. The case studies primarily focuses on the causal analysis of those bear markets and offers an investment perspective to it.

Author also reveals his reasons for choosing them for eg, 1949 bear market was preferred over 1942, although the fall during latter was more brutal & gruesome relative to the former. The 1949 crash was followed by a most profitable and enduring bull market while the spike post 1942 was brief and short-lived. The same reason applies to the preference of 1982 over inflation-ridden 1974.

On the other hand, 1932 bear market - the outlier amongst the four, the author lists out various reasons that caused the recession followed by depression, which had a lasting impact on most financial bureaucrats, economists & investors in the years to come. Eight years after the initial boom years of 1920s and after the recession in 1921, a single day crash occurred on Sep-1929 steered the bear market amidst expectations of fed tightening, inflation, fiscal deficit, banking crisis due to bad loans, etc (mid 1920s bull market got overextended with highly speculative activities like margin against securities). While the corporate profits declined to multi-years low like back then in 1898, no sign of revival was in sight even after flurry of measures by government like injecting liquidity into the system by Fed buying the government securities and boosting government spending, reducing the discount rates because of deflation.

With the revival of corporate profits and financial markets recovery, author clearly states that neither the Oust of president Hoover or the newly elected president Roosevelt are the primary reasons for the revival, but a mere coincidence of narrowing fiscal deficit, emergence of deflation to inflation cycle post-depression, Dovish fed and government’s decision to stick with gold standards, etc.

Overall, the anatomy of the Bear is an enlightening read for those interested in Financial Markets history and bear markets in particular. Perhaps after the read, smarter minds can try catching the falling knife but this time precisely the handle and not the edges :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@phreakv6, just like cosmos , could you please recommend some more multidisciplinary books ?

1 Like

This a very good website to read basic scientific stuff in an easily digestible way. The reason why the reading is easy and fun is because this particular journal is reviewed by kids between the age of 8-15. The quality and treatment is top notch and there are many things in there that broaden your mind. If you have bored kids at home looking at a screen everyday - this is even more helpful as visually too its appealing to its readers.

From a multidisciplinary perspective, there is no vague verbiage and the articles are clear crisp and get to the point. I love this website and would recommend it to the VP community as well.

Best
Bheeshma

18 Likes

5 Rules of Successful Stock Investing, Pat Dorsey, 2004 - This book substantiates the point that investing is simple but not easy. Dorsey simplifies it into buying businesses with an economic moat at a reasonable margin of safety and holding for the long haul and knowing when to sell. He breaks it into practical advice of not swinging for the fences, not trying to find the next best thing, not timing the market and so on. The chapter on economic moats was one of my favorites as it dissects various real businesses that we know of to distinguish the durability of moats.

Like any good investing book should, there are a few chapters on reading financial statements with a nice example of a simple hot dog stand that he then develops to being able to read financial statements of real businesses. Dorsey gives more importance to topline growth than just margin expansion since the latter has a limited ceiling. There is also a section on financial fakery - like a sort of a primer on financial shenanigans - simple practical advice on how to detect aggressive accounting. The book wraps up the concepts with a piece on valuation.

While all the above is part of any investing book, what I really liked in the book is the second half where Dorsey analyses real businesses - or rather different sectors and differentiates them into value-creators and value-destroyers by looking at businesses from the sectors - from pharma, consumer services, software, banks, nbfcs, amcs & insurance to hardware, telecom, media and industrial materials, energy & utilities. The second half of the book is worth a re-read any number of times. 9/10

18 Likes

The Rational Optimist, Matt Ridley, 2010 - Pessimism sells. You only have to look at the bookshelves of popular bookstores or look at some market pundits who are one-note sambas or read the news. There is something inherent in the way we are wired that romanticises fear and doom, like chicken little. Matt Ridley takes an opposing stance to this and addresses a lot of gloom, from global warming to African poverty and goes back in history and looks at gloom from the past in terms of acid rain, malthusian traps, famine and disease and how most of them proved to be statistically insignant or how human beings have overcome them when they were real problems - like feeding 9 billion, releasing of slaves etc.

I must give it to the author for backing up all of his optimism with research and numbers, news snippets from different points in history and not getting sucked into tedious economic theory. The argument of the book is that human beings are exceptional in finding solutions, as long as they are incentivised to. They don’t need subsidies to invent, as long as they are allowed to monetise their inventions in a free market. The book is a sort of an ode to capitalism and the evolution of human spirit - both at once, sort of an Adam Smith meets Charles Darwin.

The problems with the book I had arise in the last part where the author gets a bit carried away in the overall picture and generality, sometimes ignoring the specifics of trouble - when you name your book ‘the rational optimist’, you have labelled yourself to be one and that leaves no space for a counterpoint and the biases show where the rationality takes a back seat and author becomes ‘the unbridled optimist’. Still, nothing wrong with this as being optimistic isn’t something that is appreciated easily. 9/10

10 Likes

Extremely under rated book that has some amazingly simple constructs like -

Passion is over rated, it is too tough to be passionate about something you aren’t good at
Combination of skills is what leads to success, exemplary ability in a single skill does not do much

Very light read but a profound one

18 Likes

I second what @zygo23554 has said. Go thru this talk by Scott Adams. A laugh riot.

3 Likes

Tao te ching, Chinese classic text, 6th Century BC - If something has survived this long, been told and retold, it has the certificate of the ages and needs no review. This translation by Stephen Mitchell was on point and I liked how the essence and simplicity came through without getting lost in translation. For a tiny book, i have read this over 6 months. Somethings can’t and shouldn’t be rushed. 10/10

Some of my favorite parts are here, with wisdom on taxes, subsidies, war, leadership, self-discipline and just being.

26 Likes

Ah if you’re already so far how about reading The Dao of Capital by Spitznagel next?

Btw the most important and influential books for me for investing have been The Black Swan, Dao of Capital and Buffets letters to shareholders. And for life philosophy Tao Te Ching for sure.

2 Likes

Hi

Sharing a book which is not exactly for reading but rather solving. We already have Polya’s How to Solve It mentioned in the thread. If you have read this and enjoy elementary problem solving then the below book is a must.

The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by Paul Zeitz.
images%20(31)

This book is actually used for training kids for math Olympiads. Maths is my other hobby. So when I was going through this few years ago and doing it again now I realized the kind of approach it professes is very similar to what we follow in evaluating companies. A problem is given. You analyse it from multiple angles, there is an intuitive way you feel is the correct approach initially, you get stuck, you keep getting stuck, things don’t make sense, you apply different mental models (in maths say you apply algebra to a geometric problem) aka multidisciplinary approach, you make small progress in solving bits and pieces (Polya’s approach of simplifying a problem) and then one day you realise what the problem was actually all about. Finally it’s like a revelation.
It is very challenging to go through this book. I would suggest skim through the easier problems only from developing an approach to problem solving.

And if you are adventorus then give yourself a year to solve 50% of the problems without referring to the solutions :smile:

If you don’t like it then gift it to a middle school kid who enjoys problem solving.

Regards
Deepak

14 Likes

Brutal Simplicity of Thought, Maurice Saatchi, 2011 - This is a quick read. I think its more of a Coffee table book, than a real book. There are a lot of simple ideas that changed the world, from the idea of money, barcodes and morse codes, paper clips, barbed wires, teabags and toilets, velcro, screws and bifocals and so on. Most of these are covered in this book. The main takeaway for me is that it is a lot easier to complicate than simplify.

It is certainly an eye-candy of a book. It is well designed, with a picture of the idea to the left and a small blurb of it on the right. However, don’t expect to get any wiser than you may while referring to a dictionary for a word you already know. Note to self, to not buy books with catchy titles. 7/10

2 Likes

I picked up this book from the shelf as off late I have been distracted due to lot of other work. Felt this is a good book as it consists of mainly short articles from a lot of disciplines. Some articles may be quite superficial and many people may not appreciate. But so far I have enjoyed the articles.

2 Likes

@deevee , I found polya book difficult to comprehend . Is this easier ?

Hi

No Polya is supposed to be very generic and elementary. This will be quite difficult if you found Polya difficult to comprehend. Suggest re read Polya in free time.

Rgds

4 Likes

The Checklist Manifesto, Atul Gawande, 2009 - I love books and people that draw from multiple disciplines and I loved this book for the same reason. The author draws from his experience as a surgeon and explores diverse disciplines like construction, aviation and financial markets to figure out how sectors with a lot of complexity, uncertainty and stakeholders deal with it.

Gawande opines that errors few decades ago in several disciplines may have come forth due to ignorance but these days with the abundance of information, errors arise out of ineptitude than ignorance. Ineptitude arises not out of malice but out of the shortcomings in the human brain. Shortcomings that can very easily be overcome by something as simple as a checklist. He drives home the point with several case studies and ends up making a very compelling case.

I liked differentiating checklists into READ-DO and DO-CONFIRM types, with the first one being one where each step is followed sequentially and checked off, like say, a recipe and the second one where a process is completed and reaches a “pause point” where each of the items are verified to ensure no step was missed. This is a simple and straight-forward book and I thought it was a bit longer than it needed to be but it was still a very light read. 8/10

13 Likes

God’s Debris, Scott Adams, 2001 - Who doesn’t love thought experiments? I wished this book would go on and on but unfortunately the ones you want to last, don’t. Having enjoyed Dilbert, I knew this can’t be too bad but little did I expect it to be this good.

Adams discusses choices, freewill, an omnipotent god, universe, science, religion, probability and philosophy in a sort of a disjointed yet cohesive rambling that makes for some engaging (not always enlightening) reading. He comes to the conclusion that the human brain is a great delusion generator and that God destroyed himself when he created the universe and doesn’t involve himself in the activities there on (Pandeism) and what’s left of God is his debris (particles like or smaller than quarks) and probability.

So in essence, obeying God’s will is having probability on your side - which is a bloody interesting way of blending science, rationality and God (as in the image regular humanbeings have made). Stress then is a byproduct of fighting probability - a typical time when most people turn to God, to have the odds tipped in their favor. There is a brutally honest & hilarious chapter on willpower & relationships. This is going to be a long-term re-read favorite. 11/10

Warning: This book may not be for everybody. Don’t go by the 11/10 rating blindly.

23 Likes

Consider a baker’s glass window broken by a stone thrown by some miscreant. The Baker will have to fix his window which will create employment for the labourers and glass manufacturers. Will you consider this good for the economy?

If yes, you must read Economics in one lesson. It logically breaks down many such misconceptions in economics which requires one to go beyond the seen, to consider the secondary effects, which are invisible but can be exposed by application of one’s mind.

If you found this school of thought interesting, you may read further collection of essays from Austrian economists from here:

8 Likes

Thanks @satishwe for sharing your book. It’s high time I buy one for myself. This is my second reading and considering how much this book has influenced me as a person in the last 1.5 years, I thought I should keep notes this time so I could refer directly to my notes instead of re-reading the complete book every year.

This is Part #1 of my Notes on Poor Charlie’s Almanac. Sometimes they are direct reproductions, sometimes paraphrased or summarized. Unless otherwise specified, a lot of this should be attributed to CM. I have tried to mention who a line or idea should be attributed to, as not all that follows is from CM alone.

WB on CM’s traits that contributed to his success - Honesty and integrity and always doing more than his share and not complaining what the other person does

If you go through life making friends with the eminent dead who had right ideas, I think it will work better for you in life and work better in education. (I think you learn economics better if you make Adam Smith your friend)

People couldn’t believe that I suddenly made myself a subordinate partner to Warren, but there are some people that is okay to be a subordinate partner to. I didn’t have the kind of ego that prevented it. There are always people who be better at something than you are. You have to learn to be a follower before you become a leader. People should learn to play all roles.

Early CM is a horrible career model for the young, because not enough was delivered to civilization in return for what was wrested from capitalism

In a value system like Cicero’s, I would be pretty likely to rise.

If the choice were given to you, would you prefer Milo’s strength of body or Pythagoras’s ability of mind? To Cicero’s this was rhetorical question with only one answer

Can anything be more senselessly absurd that the nearer we are to our journey’s end, we should still lay in more provisions for it? (Cicero on piling wealth well into old age)

The best Armour for old age is a well spent life preceding it. (de Senectute, Cicero)

Life’s Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. When you’re finished changing, you’re finished - Ben Franklin on Aging

CM had a phenomenal ability to Chinese wall off intrusive distractions from whatever mental task he was engaged in

Find out what you’re best at and keep pounding away at it

Munger Approach to Life, Learning & Decision Making

In business, we often find that the winning system goes almost ridiculously far in maximising and/or minimising one or a few variables - like the discount warehouses of Costco

You must know the big ideas from big disciplines and use them routinely - all of them, not just a few. Most people are trained in one model, economics for eg. - and try to solve all problems in one way. To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail. This is a dumb way of handling problems

Ecosystem approach to investment analysis

Simplicity is the end result of long, hard work, not the starting point (Maitland)

What you need is a latticework of mental models in your head

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof - Galbraith

Warren and I are very good at destroying our own best loved ideas. Any year you don’t destroy one of your best-loved ideas is probably a wasted year

Redundancy/backup system model from engineering, compound interest model from math, breakpoint/tipping-point/autocatalysis models from phy & chem, Darwinian synthesis model from Bio, cognitive misjudgement models from psychology

Lollapalooza effect - You must see the relatedness and the effects from the relatedness.

Life is just one damn relatedness after another (Julian Huxley)

There is no better teacher than history in determining the future

CM sat for years at a time with $10-$12 million in treasuries or municipals, just waiting, waiting

The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting (Livermore)

A portfolio of 3 companies is plenty of diversification

Not buying and selling often - successful investment career boils down to a handful of decisions

Once in a while, you will find a ‘fat pitch’ that is slow, straight and right in the middle of your sweet spot. Then you swing hard (Li Lu)

It is equally harmful if you discover a fat-pitch but are unable to swing with the full weight of your capital (Li Lu)

Munger’s inversion - All I want to know is where I’m going to die, so I’ll never go there

Physics Envy - The common human craving to reduce enormously complex systems (such as those in economics) to one-size-fits-all Newtonian formulas

A scientific theory should be as simple as possible, but no simpler (Einstein)

In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, a weighing machine (Ben Graham)

Investors should purchase stocks like they purchase groceries - not like they purchase perfumes (Ben Graham)

If a thing is a bad idea, it is hard to overdo. But where there is a good idea with a core of essential and important truth, you can’t ignore it. And then it’s so easy to overdo it. So the good ideas are a wonderful way to suffer terribly if you overdo them

CM’s Investment Evaluation Process - The #1 idea is to view a stock as an ownership of the business and to judge the staying quality of the business in terms of its competitive advantage. Look for more value in terms of discounted future cash-flow than what you are paying for. Move only when you have an advantage. You have to understand the odds and have the disciplines to bet only when the odds are in your favor. We just keep our heads down and handle the headwinds and tailwinds as best we can, and take the result after a period of years.

Three baskets - Yes, No and Too tough to understand. Puts pharma & tech in the too tough to understand. Goes for easy to understand, dominant businesses that can sustain itself and thrive in all market environments. Heavily promoted IPO deals are a strict No.

Placer Mining - The process of sifting through piles of sand for finding specks of gold. CM despises this approach and instead applies big ideas from big disciplines to find the large, unrecognized nuggets of gold that sometimes lie in plain sight on the ground

On circle of competence - To ask the question of whether you are past the boundary is to answer it

CM views financial reports with dose of skepticism

Addition factors to financial reports - current and prospective regulatory climate, state of labour, supplier, and customer relations; potential impact of changes in technology; competitive strengths and vulnerabilities; pricing power; scalability, environmental issues and importantly - hidden exposures.

Recasts financial statements to fit his own view of reality - including free cash or owner’s earnings being produced, inventory and other working capital, fixed assets and frequently overstated intangible assets and goodwill.

If the moat is widened every year, the business will do very well

On promoters - Do they allocate capital intelligently on behalf of the owners, or do they overcompensate themselves, or pursue ego-oriented growth for growth’s sake?

Comparing value (what you get) with price (what you pay)

A great business at a fair price is superior to a fair business at a great price

Never fool yourself, and remember you are the easiest person to fool (Feynman)

Bridges are designed with backup systems and extra capacity to prevent failures - so too should investing strategies (Margin of safety)

To put runs on the scoreboard, one must watch the field, not the scoreboard (WB)

When all of man’s information is confined to the field in which he is working, the work is never as good as it ought to be (Henry Firestone)

CM scores himself not so much on whether he won the hand, but rather on how well he played it. Sloppy preparation and decision making are never excusable because they ARE controllable

He does not pick around the edges, take “initial positions” or make “small, speculative bets”. His approach is of extreme patience combined with extreme decisiveness.

He routinely considers factors such as conversion, i.e, how the laws of thermodynamics intersect with the laws of economics

Just because other people agree or disagree with you doesn’t make you right or wrong

Mimicking the herd invites regression to the mean

If you took our top fifteen decisions out, we’d have a pretty average record

There are worse situations than drowning in cash and sitting, sitting and sitting. I remember when I wasn’t awash in cash - and I don’t want to go back

More important than the will to win is the will to prepare

Resist the craving for false precision, false certainties etc.

Highest and best use is always measured by the next best use (Opportunity Cost)

Guard against effects of hubris and boredom

Part #2 when time permits.

34 Likes

Hi @phreakv6
It’s one of my most favorite books and have read it twice .
However certain parts I find it difficult to put in practice eg mental models etc which I usually dont find with other books . Would love to know your thoughts on how does one have more practical perspective from the book . Thanks for the great summary

@A_shah - When the observer and observee are the same person, it is hard to ascertain changes. Others might be able to make out the changes better than yourself. That might be the reason why you think you may not be applying, when you very well might be. You have been asking right questions in this forum and if you want to see how you have progressed, you should read your comments bottom up :slight_smile: I did mine sometime back and I was reassured (equal parts embarassed, but that’s okay) that I was making some progress.

When you see the chronic connectedness of events and veer off in tangents (much to the annoyance of narrow-focused forums, even like this one) or apply knowledge from different fields in your line of work, figure things that others may miss and it shows in the results, you know you might be doing some things right. For eg., I learned the concept of ‘Margin of Safety’ from Investing and applied it to Engineering an online platform that was to see millions of concurrent users. I doubled the spec and worked with that, so that it was future proof. Ironic, that a concept from Engineering that made its way to Investing, found its way back to Engineering, like how life imitates art imitates life. These sort of causal loops are always engaging and fun to decipher.

I don’t know if I answered your question. Just read to acquire all sorts of knowledge, practical purposes will in-evidently follow, not because you are consciously applying them but because there is no other way you can function.

13 Likes