MPS Ltd

Emkay Initiating Coverage Report dated 6th January 2015 :

Niche player with superior financials --Initiate with ACCUMULATE, TP Rs 1,000

After a successful turnaround in operations, MPS is now focused on driving strongerrevenue growth. Efforts should yield results given strong growth prospects for Publishingoutsourcing, with early results reflected in a 18% YoY growth in US$ revenues in H1FY15

Recent acquisitions supported by client mining to drive topline growth. DigiCore helpingestablish MPS as a more strategic business partner than just a âpre publishing âvendor

Growth leverage coupled with higher share of delivery from low cost facilities should aidfurther ~850bps margin expansion over FY14-18E for MPS

While near term valuations at ~20x/17x FY16/17E appear expensive, they need to beweighed in the context of MPSâs superior financial profile (ROEâs in excess of 50%+,dividend payout at ~70%+). Initiate with ACCUMULATE, TP Rs 1,000

Thank You Mahesh bhai !!

http://www.lntmf.com/Portals/0/Common_PDF/L&T%20Factsheet%20Nov%202014.pdf Link: http://www.lntmf.com/Portals/0/Common_PDF/L&T%20Factsheet%20Nov%202014.pdf

Board to consider Second Interim Dividend

MPS Ltd has informed BSE that a meeting of the Board of Directors of the Company will be held on January 29, 2015, inter alia, to consider and approve the unaudited financial results for the quarter and nine months ended December 31, 2014 and to consider the declaration of 2nd interim Dividend for the Financial Year 2014-15.

I checked with a few people in the know about M & A in this space - the only company that is definitely better than MPS is new gen which has EBITDA margins of 45 % + where carlyle bought back their stake that they had sold in 2011.

MPS is rated very highly by its peers and nishith arora is considered a smart, hard working guy with a nose for value - so not someone who will throw money away.

I think this could be a $ 2-$ 3 bn company in 4-5 years time

Concall today at 4pm. Please follow link for further info

http://www.adi-mps.com/Investors/pdf/MPS%20Q3%20FY15%20concall%20invite%2029jan15%201600%20hrs.pdf

Four-S Servicesis pleased to invite you toQ3âFY15 earnings conference call of MPS Ltd.,to be heldon ThursdayâJanuary 29, 2015 at 16:00

hours.

MPS Ltdâs management will be represented by:

Mr. Nishith Arora â Chairman and Managing Director

Mr. Rahul Arora â CMO

Mr. Sunit Malhotra â CFO

Mr. A. Sakthivel â Financial Controller

Dial In Numbers:

+91 22 3960 0670

+91 22 6746 5870

MPS is going for a QIP of 150 crore. Bigger acquisition is on cards.

Hiteshji/Maheshji Request your valuable comments on MPS results and The QIP Issue.

Disc Holding as a Longterm Investment

ram

Forgot to mention, Reply only if not against SEBI rules

This fund raising seems paradoxical to me.

They will be shelling out around 17 crores (1.7 cr outstanding shares and 10 rs per share dividend) to pay dividend … plus taxes thereon.

On other hand they want to raise funds for ? acquisitions.

For retail investors it should be good news diluting equity at a high price but it would be comforting if management have concrete plans for what they want to do with the funds raised thru qip.

Hi RK,

Just to clarify, the QIP resolution is an enabling resolution and the idea is to get the resolution passed so the company may raise the capital at the short notice, if required.

From concall, it seems company has been looking at number of opportunities and probably at advanced stage of discussion with a few of them. If any of them fructify, then only they will raise the money through this route.

Hiteshbhai,

A similar question was asked on the concall to the management as to wouldn’t it be prudent to conserve cash and raise lesser/no fresh money from QIP.

Mr. Arora replied as saying that they look at the medium to large acquisition as “sort of new project” for which financing shall be considered afresh while the old one continues to run on the old framework. Benefits of the old business (dividend distribution) continue to be shared with shareholders in line with existing business.

In my opinion, this is not a very convincing answer though, this approach too would not be detrimental to the interest of existing shareholders if the QIP price is right.

Secondly, management was very clear on few parameters on acquisition, which sounded quite rational:

)- It will be only in publishing outsourcing business

)- Acquire only if the acquistion helps MPS fill the gap in its portfolio of clients, service lines or technology

)- Acquisitions should be EPS accretive

)- MPS will be careful enough not to overpay

Hope this helps

This post should only be viewed as part of a general discussion and in no way is a buy/sell/hold recommendation on any company. In this post only questions arising out of an event are posted and no conclusions are meant to be drawn. This should not in anyway be taken to draw any conclusion or build any investment/divestment decision.

Hi Ram,

There are some questions that are puzzling me post Q3FY15 numbers of MPS :

(1) Completely agree with Hitesh on proposed QIP and contradictory move to pay good dividend but here I can somewhat understand the position of the management since if you don’t declare dividend then it will mean reversal of DD policy which will be taken badly by the market and therefore stock valuation can suffer and so fund raising could be in jeopardy. However, what is more disappointing for me is not the proposal to raise funds (which I expected anywayand I disclosed it too in my reply to P Sharma 2 months before)but the route itself as it would have been better if it was a private placement to some sort of strategic investor like PE who could help the company in scaling up.

(2) Q3 results are a real disappointment for me on all fronts and themanagement explanations thereafter are confusing…its historically stated by the management that q3 is the best quarter because of year-end issues with publishers and they completing all pending projects fast to book revenues in that quarter…now, in this best quarter we have cc revenue growth of only 4.5 %…two explanations I am completely not satisfied with :

)–“last Q3FY14 was a big quarter so the base was higher and so the growth looks muted”…then what about Q3FY13 and Q3FY12 when there was a cc degrowth of -5.88 % and -4.49 % respectively as also what about Q2FY15 when we had a cc growth of 14 % vs Q2FY14 cc growth of 1.33 %

)–“we need to look at consolidated nos. rather than standalone nos. for growth”…then what about the acquisitions…we have paid price for the acquisitions and although its better to look at consolidated nos., but, when we need apple-to-apple comparison it is best when looked at l-t-l…in 2HFY14 Element contributed 9 cr. to revenues but Q3FY14 figures were reported standaloneso if Q3 is the best qrtr. for the group then a 4.85 cr. contribution from Element (after deducting 1.66 cr. contribution from EPS) also seem a flat growth YoY…

Why the organic value growth is not coming for the company (cc 8 % growth for 9 mths.FY15) when comparable scale peers in the Industry are growing handsomely at 20 % + and that too organically…management transition phase seems already over so where is the hitch…are the contracts not coming to the company or there is substantial price discount given so value is not reflecting it…then isn’t the same pricing pressure over the heads of its peers too then how come they are able to report healthy value growth…??

(3) There was an indication in the concall of addition of ~160 employees at Dehradun in Jan’2015 month so does it meananything regardingQ4 ??

Management seems good, has acted in most transparent manner so far and has kept shareholders’ interest on the top of mind so far…industry itselffrom peers performance seems good and although company is slipping fast every year in the top 10 ranking still company enjoys good scale in an otherwise scattered industry…but inorganic growth strategy seems good to an extent and organic growth has to start somewhere that is my personal belief…

Rgds.

Discl.- Invested Mildly

This post should only be viewed as part of a general discussion and in no way is a buy/sell/hold recommendation on any company. In this post only questions arising out of an event are posted and no conclusions are meant to be drawn. This should not in anyway be taken to draw any conclusion or build any investment/divestment decision.

Here is the last quarter result.

http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachHis/mps_ltd_290115_rst.pdf

Is MPS being Smart or Stupid ?

Today was a particularly exciting day for MPS as they announced their Q3 results along with a second interim dividend of Rs 10 per share. They also passed an enabling resolution to issue securities for QIP upto 150 crores, The market, keeping in line with its eccentric reputation lived up to it by dropping the share price by 8% the moment they heard QIP.

Here are the takeaways from the Conference Call.

• Q3 last year was an exceptional year for MPS as a lot of extraas were scored. This year, without any of those extras, they beat their performance by 12% increase in sales and 6% in operating profit.
  • While the number of publishers are not growing, the market size in terms of players is stagnant. However, the degree of consolidation and outsourcing is growing and that is the biggest tailwind that MPS has enjoyed over the last 3 years.
  • There is a major amount of disruption waiting on the shores in the education industry. I strongly suggest you read what Damodaran has to say about this :http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.in/2014/09/the-education-business-road-map-for.html
  • While the word disruption can immediately raise ones antennas, more important than the change itself, one has to see which side of the change one is landing up on. MPS seems to be on the right side. With its DigiCore platform and their focus to make things cheaper, faster and easier, they themselves are a part of the so called disruption taking place. There will be an effect on the business if and when the entire industry changes, but I am pretty sure MPS will take only a temporary hit only to emerge stronger with a larger advantage that before.
  • MPS continues to have a high client concentration with its top 10 clients giving them 85% of their business. But again, it i think this should be complimented rather than penalised as they have been able to mine existing clients.
  • They have successfully implemented Digicore in 2 of their top clients, however, the strategy going forward seems to be to target much smaller clients across the globe. This allows larger margins and also is sort of risk free as MPS is in fact using them as guinea pigs:)
  • There has been much talk about the QIP placement of 150 crores. MPS has paid/ announced over 50 cr of dividend in the recent years. They can easily raise money with debt or just not distribute dividends and acquire companies instead of the QIP. Here is why i think it is a good idea.
    • Waiting 3 years might not give MPS the benefits of consolidation tailwinds in the industry today.
    • A PE fund will hopefully only strengthen the management.
    • At a 1,000 rupees a share, the share price is probably a little frothy, but then isnat it the best thing that can happen when you want to raise capital.
    • The most important thing however is that Nishith Arora clearly mentioned that the acquisition/ acquisitions will be**EPS ACCRETIVE and will increase NEW CUSTOMERS and NEW SERVICES.**I have no reason to be unhappy if he keeps his word.
  • MPS currently employs 2,862 employees with 1,000 of them at Dehradun.
  • Publishers continue to have a TOP-DOWN interest in consolidation and outsourcing and this will keep the tailwind going for MPS.

At 900 rupees a share an approximate EPS of about 36, MPS trades at about 25 times FY 15 earnings. Not cheap if all they planned to do was to keep returning the spare cash as dividend, but having observed Nishith Arora, i think it is time to hold on to your seats and wait for the next Quantum leap. Yes, there can be an erosion of stock prices of about 20% from here, but that is not the question, the question is what will it be if the new acquisitions work out.

Donat want to take that risk, go buy HDFC bank.

Iam staying put.

The story has changed for me - I came in looking for organic top line growth, esp when the peers are doing it. The growth has not come so far, but the valuation seems to be pricing it in. The company’s explanation of why it paid out the dividend when it might raise funds for acquisition translated to something like “The market is valuing us richly, and we can acquire in an EPS accretive manner. If we stop the dividend, we are risking our valuation” - which is a smart response, but as a shareholder, (unlike an owner), at rich valuations I can choose to sell the stock instead.

Disclosure: MPS was a major holding (10% of pf) previously. Sold out fully @ 870-880 on Friday.

2 Likes

In my opinion, we should read between the lines. Management said that they have signed MoUs with some companies. I feel that they are close to finalizing a target and hence want to raise capital accordingly.

Prasanna has perfectly put it in words and the scenario seems exactly like that…however, an investor will surely give one quarter more for organic growth to appear and so q4 will be very interesting to watch…

Rohit…there is no problem in raising of funds as anyway any good wise management would do that at current valuations and at current state of markets but key thing is quality and profile of the target as so far Element acquisition seems to have been no value-adder even after one year and we will have to see how EPS turns out…organic growth has to start somewhere and that is my belief and q4 will be key monitrable for that…current 16x FY15e EV/EBITDA should accompany some sort of organic growth visibility or a very lucrative acquisition target thats what I feel…even I have exited 90 % of my holdings in MPS post results as I feel it better to invest even at appreciated rate with proper visibility…

Rgds.

Discl. - Invested Mildly

@prasanna

please read the book “outsiders” - what MPS is doing is what warren buffet espouses. Miss the pennies but get the dollars.

The risk would be that of overpaying for an acquisition - so far track record is good but let’s hope nishith does not overpay.

If anything, I am praying for the stock to fall so that I can add more.

@Varadharajan: Yes, I’ve read the book. And yes, the management is behaving like a good outsider CEO tapping into the capital markets when valuations are rich. One small caveat is an outsider CEO would not play this valuation game and keep dividends intact - paying a 30% tax. And yes, even if Nitish is a good outsider CEO, and acquires very good businesses, it only implies the stock is over-priced and he is doing is best to take advantage of it. I can do my best too - by selling it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The management has a clear dividend policy and will return cash to the owners. If I heard right, this proposed Rs 150 Cr QIP is only a just-in-case weapon to strike, if needed. Management never indicated the kind of deal acquisition, single/multiple entity or the time line for any acquisition. Maybe there will not be any in the near future. I feel it is a good move since they don’t know when they’ll need the money. They don’t want to hoard cash (like Apple/Infosys or worst like Kitex who have non interest paying foreign currency & indulging in speculation) and certainly will not overpay. Further institutional investors, by and large, are not fools to subscribe if they don’t expect a decent return on their investment.

What is not clear is why there was little growth when the management have previously stated that Q3 is historically a good quarter and now counterclaim that Q3FY14 was exceptional, etc.

Will hold on for now and will buy more if the market throws up discount sale on this stock.