Microcap momentum portfolio

Well put,
Can you please simplify it. With some tools e.g. Formula etc.
Thank you.

1 Like

I use standard Google worksheet tools only that are readily available.

1 Like

Update for entry on 18th March 2024

Based on ranking:

1. ANANDRATHI
  2. GET&D
  3. ELECTCAST
  4. INOXWIND
  5. SCHNEIDER
  6. HBLPOWER
  7. IFCI
  8. NEWGEN
  9. STAR
  10. WOCKPHARMA
  11. NEULANDLAB
  12. KIRLOSENG
  13. JKTYRE
  14. ACE
  15. ARVIND
  16. CHENNPETRO
  17. MSTCLTD
  18. MAHSEAMLES
  19. HSCL
  20. VOLTAMP
  21. ANANTRAJ
  22. CHOICEIN
  23. ETHOSLTD
  24. TIMETECHNO
  25. RAILTEL

Based on A → Z for easy tracking:

• ACE
  • ANANDRATHI
  • ANANTRAJ
  • ARVIND
  • CHENNPETRO
  • CHOICEIN
  • ELECTCAST
  • ETHOSLTD
  • GET&D
  • HBLPOWER
  • HSCL
  • IFCI
  • INOXWIND
  • JKTYRE
  • KIRLOSENG
  • MAHSEAMLES
  • MSTCLTD
  • NEULANDLAB
  • NEWGEN
  • RAILTEL
  • SCHNEIDER
  • STAR
  • TIMETECHNO*
  • VOLTAMP*
  • WOCKPHARMA

Entry:
VOLTAMP makes an entry.
TIMETECHNO cannot enter as there is no vacancy.

Exit:
DBREALTY exits.
PAISALO stays within the top 30 and hence remains.

Please note that at the end of the month, I expect significant changes in the pf as the Index is being rejigged.

3 Likes

Momentum ranking for the week ending 22nd March 2024

1. GET&D
  2. ANANDRATHI
  3. ELECTCAST
  4. INOXWIND
  5. SCHNEIDER
  6. HBLPOWER
  7. WOCKPHARMA
  8. ACE
  9. EMUDHRA
  10. NEULANDLAB
  11. NEWGEN
  12. ARVIND
  13. VOLTAMP
  14. MSTCLTD
  15. KIRLOSENG
  16. STAR
  17. HSCL
  18. CHENNPETRO
  19. ETHOSLTD
  20. IFCI
  21. ANANTRAJ
  22. ITDCEM
  23. CHOICEIN
  24. TIMETECHNO
  25. MANINFRA

The portfolio has recovered in the last two trading days.

In terms of change, PAISALO would have gone out and EMUDHRA would have come in.

However, I will not be making any rebalance this week. This coming week is a truncated week with Monday (25th) and Friday (29th) being holidays. In addition, the Microcap250 index will be rejigged end of next week.

I will plan rebalance considering that event also for week beginning April 1st.

5 Likes

@visuarchie thanks a lot for update and sharing your strategy with wider audience.

I have few questions, can you help me with your experience?

1. Which broker do you use as with momentum strategy there is always going to be churn in portfolio, that can leak to high brokerage charges?
  2. Have you tried changing 25 to 20, 15, 10, 30 stock ticker counts and how was result?
  3. Can you please help with trailing weekly, monthly returns?
1 Like

@Jitendra_Vyas In answer to your queries.

1. I use discount brokers and hence there is no brokerage. I will still have to pay statutory charges though.
  2. As this is a microcap pf, I have kept the number of stocks in pf as 25. No plans to reduce this as it will increase the risk only. For a similar smallcap portfolio, I have 20 stocks only.
  3. I don’t track weekly or monthly returns. From the time I started investing (about 15 months ago) in this pf till today, the XIRR is 70%.
2 Likes

What is your smallcap PF, can we have a glance, please.

1 Like

There is already a thread, Kindly check - Smallcap momentum portfolio

Sir, don’t you think by this strategy we may miss likely multi bagger, in my understanding one should churn company only when its fundamentals are changing. Your views please.

1 Like

This is not investing, per se. This is following momentum stocks based on certain criteria. Sometimes, a stock may see increase in price only for a few months, these kind of strategies are useful to capture such stocks for such periods of time. And if a stock indeed is rising without having much draw down, without losing its momentum, by itself and in relation to others, it can continue to have a place in the PF.

2 Likes

Can you share that Google sheet, please.

Thanks @visuarchie

Is there way to backtest your portfolio performance?

I want to test how it would have behaved in sideways market.

@Sujata Please find attached the Google Sheet. This has to be updated every week.

2 Likes

@Jitendra_Vyas It can be done, but I do not have the resources. Professional fund managers are doing this regularly. Zerodha has got an option called Streak that helps you to do some kind of backtesting.

3 Likes

@visuarchie How do you update this? All manual?

Ok, On the contrary you mean to say one identify and grab value multipliers at nascent stage?

No. There is no analysis of business done here.

You can go through this thread to have an understanding.

@krishnasristy Every weekend, I pull the data from Google Finance (I don’t enter data manually). After that I have to make some small tweaks in the template and the data is ready. Not very difficult.

1 Like

@Sujata This is a different style of investing. Here we don’t look at the fundamentals. Just check price action and then enter / exit as per set of rules. We should look at pf returns instead of individual stocks.
If a stock continues to perform well, there is no reason to exit from it. I have several stocks in the pf that have given me already 2x, 3x returns.

1 Like

What Works on Wall Street by James O’Shaughnessy is a good book to understand this type of investing style

1 Like