Mayur Uniquoters ~ Market Leader in Indian Synthetic Leather Market

I agree rohit.

there

** seen.typically **

soon:))

I sold some of my holdings in mayur today because I needed to invest elsewhere, and the risk of downside from current levels to uncertainty in terms of upside was in favour for other investment. I still hold some of Mayur with me, and I will add more at lower levels. I don’t think complete exit makes sense now, but if this stock reaches 700/share, i.e., mcap of 750 crores, in another 3 monhs, an event with low probability, one should exit completely.

Just to clarify, 700 in Hitesh’s post was pre-bonus or 350/share now. Also, it was before q1 results were announced.

Spoke to the MD Mr Poddar . What a visionary and down to earth man ? This guy is a real long term player and executioner par excellence. Rare to find men with such acumen n vision.

There is lot of interest from HNIs post bonus which has resulted from additional liquidity of 13.5 lacs shares coming in the market.

As for the man and his vision all I will say that Mayur is Lambi Race Ka Ghoda. The journey has just begun.

This is a report dated 27th July, 2012 when Mayur was quoting 550 Rs per share (pre bonus).

Competitor Analysis
Mayur Uniquoters Limited operates within the Leather tanning and finishing sector. This analysis compares Mayur Uniquoters Limited with three other leather goods manufacturers in Asia:

Ceylon Leather Products Ltd. of Sri Lanka (2012 sales of 4.37 billion Sri Lanka Rupees [US$33.35 million] ),

Environmental Resources Investment PLC of Sri Lanka (6.04 billion Sri Lanka Rupees [US$46.08 million] ), and

Daiichi Kasei Company Limited which is based in Japan (3.14 billion Japanese Yen [US$40.11 million] ).

Company Sales Sales Sales/ Price/ Price/ Price/ 52W
(US$mlns) Growth Emp (US$) Earnings Book Sales %age Ch
Mayur Uniquoters 55.12 25.70% 1,574,714 8.9 3.47 0.96 33.7%
Ceylon Leather 33.36 315.90% 68,491 91 0.93 0.62 -17.8%
Environmental Res. 46.08 173.50% 2,003,496 19.3 0.58 0.82 -79.5%
Daiichi Kasei 40.11 -4.10% 393,198 15.2 0.6 0.43 -20.0%

Company Year Gross EBITDA Earnings Long Term Days Days
margin margin excl. OI Debt/Eq Acc. Recv. Inven.
Mayur Uniquoters 2012 15.60% 16% 10.80% 0.03 51 46
Ceylon Leather 2012 27.40% 16.00% 0.70% 0.02 88 119
Environmental Res. 2012 22.20% -3.10% 4.20% 0.01 227 115
Daiichi Kasei 2012 N/A 17.00% 2.80% 0.03 N/A 61

Since there companies have comparative sales, two things to notice, one is Mayur is relatively expensive at 444 Cr market cap (CMP - 410) it is quoting at 1.3 times P/S (ttm). The second is margins, where Mayur has further scope of improvement.

If somebody has access to comparison against the chinese players, please do post.

If mayur trades below 390 theneuphoria over.

till that ride trend.

The delivery percentage is still very high on increased volumes as well which is a positive sign. Anyway liquidity is not high as only total 27.5 Lacs shares are free float.

In Dishman pharma case the delivery %age was quite low from 13 to 19 % in BSE n NSE.

what is the opinion of the senior valuepickrs on mayur at the moment? stock seems to have done well and has not corrected from the peak much even after the sharp run-up preceding it. looking at the valuation, at 11-12 PE it still doesn’t seem too expensive given the track record, wonderful ratios and potential 20%+ growth rate. does anyone believe that mayur may be getting re-rated closer to where its clients like bata trade i.e. 20+ multiples. although it seems unlikely it doesn’t seem impossible.

Personally, I believe Mayur should get re-rated. But looking at the recent upmove, I would be cautious to buy at this time. In fact, people who are not averse to trading might want to take some profits off the table and reinvest back if/when the stock corrects a bit.

Longer run, I expect the company to and the stock to do well even from here. A PE of 15 would not be unreasonable for Mayur, but for that it has to scale up a bit from here.

Hi,

I too felt jittery seeing the steep climb and after listening to the valued opinions from Sr investors here regarding possible “froath”. Ibooked partial profits when the price went beyond 420.

Its a learning stage for me and I am trying to see if some trading opportunity exists in situations like these where the run up is too fast to be a genuine rerating. Sorry, I know valuepickr does not discuss trading and many members may have already frowned :slight_smile:

Can anyone recollect such examples from the past. How does rerating happen for a company like Mayur, what has been your experience?

Cheers

Vinod

I have always found it very difficult to trade and make money consistently. For example, I can’t tell whether Mayur will go to 350 or 450 from CMP (around 400). Since, I cant time well, I prefer to buy into companies where the scale of opportunity is large and price is reasonable. And try to hold on till the business keeps delivering.

So, for me, I am not trying to take my profits on Mayur, as I have not seen them faltering on their results or their valuations reaching to very high levels.

I agree with you Abhishek here. Am also trying to do the same. Also, trying to overcome the fear of losing paper profit’s. Trying to make it part of my investing process to be there with the stock till the time business is delivering or looks good to continue to deliver. Sometimes the price might run ahead of value and value need to catch up, but getting off and getting is not my cup of tea.

Mayur is a company with high ROE of ~40% year-after-year, almost zero debt, a consistent capable conservative management, who have 75% of the stake with them, who know how to deliver, a huge market opportunity in front of them. So at PE of ~10 PEG ratio is coming to be around .25. So it is still hugely undervalued (even after this huge run).

The only issue with Mayur has been that it has a very low liquidity and hence big player can’t enter into it. But thanks to bonus issue and tax advantage that it provide, HNIs have accumulated a good amount of share of it. The delivery % was in and around 70+% during the rise.

The low volume sliding of stock price seems to me an golden opportunity of accumulating Mayur Uniquoter. Remember how fast Ajanta has gone from 400Cr MCap to 1000Cr MCap. Once Mayur reaches MCap of 1000Cr, it will attract attention of big players and the real fun will begin them. Till then to me, it is a buy and buy.

For me Mayur is in the same league of Page and Titan 2-3 years back. They have been a huge wealth creator in the past, and still has good amount of steam left in them. So no point in de-boarding the train before it reaches it’s final destination.

I have tried getting on and off but have not been successful. But i have known many people who successfully do that. And the recent example have been ajanta pharma where people came out around 800 rs pre split and entered back at 600rs.
But at the same time mayur have not made the move which ajanta made moving from 400 rs to 800rs in a very short span of time.

For some of the people mayur’s current move seems bigger but i am not seeing so. The chart is not making any such move. Also it happens sometimes while trying to pocket that extra 10-20 percent one cam miss the bigger return.

On the contrary people can add more stock to the current holdings if one finds that company is performing financially and still not expensive by valuation wise.

On the valuation, when a stock catches fancy and backed by financials can trade at 20+ PE levels also.

Mayur in Forbes India’s best 200 companies.

After reading complete thread on Mayur Uni recently, I have just started accumulating this stock. Thanks for all highly educated matured investor’s in Valuepickr for sharing all there knowledge with very basic & new investor’s like me.

I just wander how much deep knowledge drilling & conviction about business is required before we need to buy any stock , Its really a great knowledge building site , Thanks for all , specially Donald, Hitesh , Ayush and others.

News
â The company launched the global leadership development program for the senior management.
â The new plant installed capacity of 500,000 linear meters the state of art knitting machines from Terrot & Mayer & CIE Germany a brand new Stenter from Bruckner at Dhodsar village, Rajasthan.

â The company is in process of installing the fifth coating line which is expected to be commissioned by end of financial year will further increase the installed capacity of 600,000 linear meters.

[Located in a shed of size 60,000 Sq feet, the new line from Matex Srl, Italy will add a capacity of 600,000 linear meters per month with a total installed capacity of 2.50 million linear meters per month expected production by April 2013.]

â The company exported auto OEM general to the Middle East, UK, Russia, Srilanka, Nepal, United Arab Emirates & Mexico.
â The company has installed the dust collection bags which prevent the PVC from entering the environment there by reducing the wastage of raw material as well as the cost of the production. ( Great initiative! )

Clients

BMW
â GENERAL MOTORS
â DAIMLER.
â MARUTI SUZUKI
â TATA MOTORS
â TS TECH
â HONDA
â BATA
â CHRYSLER
â MAGNA
â FORD
â FOAMEX
â LEAR CORPORATION
â NINGBO JIFENG AUTO
â PARTS CO. LTD.
â TAJ VINYL
â SWARAJ
â BSL
â KRISHNA MARUTI
â SHARDA MOTOR
â SIETZ TECHNOLOGIES
â ALPHA FOAM LTD
â MAHINDRA TRACTORS
â SONALIKA
â PIAGGIO
â LML
â NISSAN
â HYUNDAI
â VKC
â LIBERTY FOOTWEAR
â CONDOR INDIA. LTD.
â PARAGON
â LUNAR’S

ODYSSIA
â SADDLES
â MARVIN
â CARBON FOOTWEAR
â KHADIM’S
â LEHAR
â AUTOWORLD
â BAIRATHI FOOTWEAR
â DAWAR
â ROADSTAR FOOTWEAR
â TULIP ENTERPRISES
â PODDAR FOOTWEAR
â ELEGANT

Now we may start looking at any of these companies, with Mayur as their supplier things should be running fine!

Guys,

I think we risk losing objectivity in Mayur. Success is a heady thing, and it goes to the head quickly:). I would have liked to puncture the generally euphoric outlook on Mayur with a few hard facts, but I am restraining myself.

I think all of us would gain more, if we try to go back to questioning mode. I would like nothing better, than to be proved wrong. So let’s take a HARD look, first:

1). Mayur as a business has tremendous metrics, sure. It has had a great textbook track record, unlike any other small cap perhaps. Agreed. BUT that is past, what makes us so sure in the next 2-3 years this exemplary record is repeatable??

2). One of the ways to probe this aspect, (courtesy PAT Dorsey) is to examine the Sources of Growth and the Quality of the Growth. (We have provided only abridged pointers; to really become practiced at this aspect, you need to buy the book and devour the way he dissects these 2 important aspects, and …more)

3). How many of the Mayur bulls (currently:)) can quote us back a figure - how much of Mayur’s growth in FY11 and FY12 has been due to Volume Growth, and how much due to Price-Increase growth, including Forex movements? (Clue - look for this vital data in Management Q&A). And what is responsible for the figures in Q1FY13?

4). What makes us so certain that this is repeatable in FY13? What is the extent of Volume growth possible in FY13? and a fair picture of price-led growth? Only then we can comment on the likely picture, right?

5). What percentage of revenues comes from Domestic? And form Exports? Where will the next phase of growth in Mayur come from, Domestic or Exports?

6). If a significant chunk of growth has to come from Domestic - what will it cost the company? margins??

7). If a significantly larger chunk has to come from Exports - what will it cost the company? Who will it really be supplying to? Certainly not the OEMs? Why not the OEMs? It will be supplying to then some seat assemblers for the OEMS? who are these guys? And whom will Mayur be competing against? Are these competitors much bigger than Mayur? Is it reasoanable to assume Mayur will have to meet the terms of the Seat Assemblers to gain a bigger market share there? Is there some replacement sales? What percentage? Better margins there??

8). By when will the company be really ready to significantly increase Exports? Is there a different/higher quality standard that the company has to meet for Exports? What has been the record so far? Why have they not been able to enhance export contributions significantly so far. Can they really do much before the Knitting Unit comes up? When will the Knitting Unit come up? Are there additional challenges in managing heavy Exports - take Forex for example?

Let’s not base our views on Hope! Let’s base it on hard facts.

Can I expect the young turks to do some fact-finding and answer these tough, but logical questions - for your own good. If your CONVICTION goes up, after you have answered these, great! I will be happy for you and for me. And happy to learn from you.

Re-rating is a dream not worth pursuing. If it comes along, its a BONUS. But one does not need to invest hoping for a re-rating when the stock is clearly at life-time highs. If the company continues to grow at 25-30% for next 2-3 years - that’s it, you will again have a 2x in hand from here without re-rating needing to kick in, if current valuations sustain. But can it sustain 12x trailing levels that it is quoting at, or 4.75x Book?? Are we sure, this will hold, Why?

On the other hand can it do a 25%-30% CAGR from here easily? is that a given for the next 2-3-5-10 years? Some folks justify their rosy picture ahead saying - the size of the market for Mayur is Huge - Global seat-cover market, global furniture market, global shoe upper market!!!

Can you say with any conviction that Mayur’s competitive position (from here) is such that it can easily extract market share from the existing global leaders? **Really? **Can you answer why? Have you even looked at who those competitors are, and what their strengths are vis-a-vis Mayur?

The real positive that Mayur has, is its asset-light business model. It has very high asset turns, particulary fixed asset turns. 8x, if I remember correctly. In Mayur’s case, Asset Turns is the real Source of Profitability for these excellent RoE/RoCE metrics, wannabe D-I-Y analysts you gotta buy the PAT Dorsey book). I am not sure Mayur can extract same levels of asset turns any more from the new capex coming in. This will need some examining by us. The first coating line is a 14 year old fully depreciated assembly line. It has been kept operational by timely maintenance & incremental improvements to sub-assemblies. The second coating line is also possibly fully depreciated.

The new Capex for sure is more advanced technology, at higher costs? Can someone collate earlier capex vs Capacity and the recent figures? I am sure Mayur can make sure these also have an extended run. But it will be some time before they can extract similar asset turns?

Enough food for thought?:slight_smile:

I am a believer in Mayur. But I am not in love with Mayur. When you take Capital Allocation very very seriously, it is easier to find the (hidden) warts and take a hard look - because you will always be on the lookout for someone else that can compound at a better rate with higher visibility and higher conviction.

I think Astral and Kaveri Seed are certainly scoring better on that front, right now. Even a GRP may if you consider the undervaluation vs conviction multiple. Surprised, yup - we should always keep challenging our top bets - to separate the real worthies from the pretenders. The undervaluation score is also very very important. In my book undervaluation weightage is 40% and conviction is 60%, but in Hitesh & Ayush’s case Its exactly the reverse!!! So Astral for them is not so alluring, but GRP for sure is, and so is Kaveri Seed. Do you want to pay some heed to the guys with the well-honed Market Edge??

**I intend to take a very very hard look, with all your help. **So let’s get cracking!

If you ask a Hitesh, he will easily tell you Mayur is no more his favourite pick, no more his highest allocation. He does not do so much thinking through - he just knows:) And he will also tell you with enough clarity the reasons why, in his own way, but that will not be enough to make you get out of your Mayur infatuation:), to be able to do an objective job on an as-is basis.

I am hoping my set of hard questions may force some objectivity back in the discussion. there are more by the way:)

Where are the skeptics???

-Donald

1 Like

Very good writeup… Forcing me to think and re-look at Mayur. You have done the most important thing by raising a flag…

I have tried to capture and answer some questions. Where the questions is not answered is because I could not get the answer to it. So request seniors to provide hints. Also thoughts are not well structured, again seniors feedback required.

% increase from FY11 to 12

Capex 40

Production 11.34752

Sales 28

Net profit 32

Forex income (export) 6.25

Forex outgo 20

Domestic Sales 33.16832

Raw Material Cost 28.80435

-Sales growth has moderated from 53% last year to 28%

-11.3% production led growth

-Remaining a mix of price led growth and better product mix.

-forex growth is 6.5% where as forex outgo has increased by 20%

Not sure about Q1FY13, Please hint.

Keeping the number same projected Sales growth could be 18% in FY13 (12% production led + 6% better product mix, not accounting for the fifth line, not sure how to account for that)

Contribution to revenue

From Domestic 81%

From Foreign 19%

Growth has to come from exports as in case of domestic the raw material costs will be prohibitive.

Mayur supplies to OEM car seat vendors, but not really sure how does this have an impact as the base line pricing is done with the OEM with little negotiation with the vendors.

Not sure why Exports are not much, hints are appreciated.

Thanks a lot Donald for raising these flags. Let us all collate our efforts in finding the answers. If this stock deserves the top holding we better be dead sure.

1). Mayur as a business has tremendous metrics, sure. It has had a great textbook track record, unlike any other small cap perhaps. Agreed. BUT that is past, what makes us so sure in the next 2-3 years this exemplary record is repeatable??

Artificial leather finds its application in many industries such as footwear, automobile seats, upholstery, furnishings, sports goods, apparel, ladies bags, and a host of fashion accessories and is used as a substitute for natural leather.

One of the benefits due to this is that the demand for the product never goes down as the wide application of the product enables the company to have a natural hedge against possible slowdown in any of the user industry and therefore helps the company have a consistent growth in its sales and profits.

Another key advantage that MUL enjoys here is that most of the user industries are recession proof especially the ones that contribute most to the companyâs sales. At the moment, 56% of the sales are contributed by the footwear industry, while Auto and OEM together contribute ~33% and rest is by other Industries.(Need latest product mix Q1FY13)

Even in economic slowdown, the footwear industry does not see an alarming fall in the demand and that indirectly helps MUL in getting orders consistently from these user industries. This ensures smooth flow of the business and consistent growth in the revenues for the company.

Now at present the majority of demand is fed by Chinese imports. So it has a huge headroom for growth both in domestic as well as International markets.

The global demand scenario is as follows:

Footwear >> 26 million meters

Auto >> 32 million meters

Furniture >> 11 million meters

Luggage >> 25million meters

So while the worldwide demand is > 90 million meters, Mayur even after the fully operational 5th line will have a capacity of 2.5 million meters. So given the window of opportunity, continued sales growth across industries should not be a problem.

Hi Atul,

The next phase of growth should be triggered by Exports as they are a margin lever. So as the sales mix improves, the NPM will bound to rise, hence offsetting the impact of lower Asset Turnover (higher Capex adding to the base) in order to maintain consistent RoE with present ( NPM X Asset Turnover X Leverage = RoE) in the ~38-40%

Mayur enjoys the benefit of being one of the very few Asian companies that has got the authorization to enter the American continent to supply to Auto OEM / Tier 1 vendors in the USA. There are only two players from Asia with this privilege.

For a competitor, to get the authorization to supply in the US, it could take time, as the process for doing so is tedious and time consuming.

Why the export orders aren’t picking up ?

1. It is awaiting certain formalities from big names like General Motors, BMW and Mercedes. Once these are sorted out, order flows will follow soon thereafter.

2. It is already supplying to the companies like Ford and Chrysler on a regular basis. Has huge order backlog from Chrysler.The export requirements are much more stringent and need to pass through very high QC .The company has 8 lakh linear meters of pending orders for Exports.

3. The greenfield 5th line of 5 lakh linear meters (target operational : December 2012) is completely export oriented. This will help in catering to export demand as the most modern equipment will focus on the best production needs.

4. A major reason of order rejections is pure quality of fabrics. Hence Mayur is integrating backward into manufacturing of synthetic knitted fabric, the knitted fabrics line (expected to be operational from Sep-13 got delayed for 2-3 months due to equipment procuring and employee training ) once fully operational by Q3FY13 will see improvements in order delivery.

[Knitted fabric is the largest input value-wise (15% of total input cost) RM after chemicals like PU, PVC, etc (60% of total input cost).

The Knitted Fabric, currently sourced from Ludhiana, can be used to produce synthetic leather for the domestic market but it is not good enough to be used to produce synthetic leather for the export market.

Due to poor quality Knitted Fabric, often finished stock is rejected and it hampers quality & productivity. ]

Mayur’s exports realizations are Rs. 325/- per linear meter while the realizations in the domestic market are Rs. 125/- per linear meter. Despite higher realizations, the margins in exports and the domestic market are the same due to substantially high cost of production due to proper quality control for exports.This will change for the better with improving sales mix and backward integration.

At present, Mayur exports around 1 lakh linear meter per month which is expected to increase to 2 â 2.5 lakh linear meter per month by 2013 and to 4 lakh linear meter per month by 2014 onwards.

FY15E Export target is Rs.200Cr on a revenue target of 550 Cr (Domestic:Export mix of 64:34 from 81:19 at present) . The Management believes that its Indian competitors will take at least 5 years to be able to start exporting to International Auto OEMâs. The management perceives absolutely no impact whatsoever from any slowdown that might happen in the US due to the Replacement Market.

Coming back to domestic sales growth, the company’s 2nd line is chinese build catering to hard soles for shoes.( while Lines 1, 3, 4 and the latest 5th are all Italian build)

After the commissioning of Line No. 5, the company will start work on Line No. 6 which will be 100% focused on the domestic market. This Line might be located in South India, as Mayur has huge customer base in Southern India (footwear and auto) and will serve better in cost saving and smooth supplies.

Knitted Fabric opportunity

Once the Knitted Fabric plant comes on stream by H2FY13, the export realizations of the company will increase by at least Rs.25 per linear meter. This will improve margins to an extent. ( As discussed in the beginning NPM goes higher, maintains consistent RoE even when Asset Turnover goes down after implementation of new capex. )

In the long term, the company has plans to export Knitted Fabric to International synthetic leather manufacturers.

The Knitted Fabric Unit also makes sense because the company gets debt at a mere 5% rate of interest thanks to the TUF (Textile Up gradation Fund) of the Ministry of Textiles.

2 Likes