IPO Review - Discussion until listing

LIC IPO - the largest IPO in Indian history

Decks are being cleared for the much-anticipated initial public offering of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC). If everything goes to plan the mega IPO may hit the market around Diwali this year (Q3 FY21).

LIC’s public issue is expected to be the country’s largest-ever and is pegged to be at least ₹1 trillion for just a 10% share sale to the public.

LIC is India’s largest financial institution with assets of over Rs 32 lakh crore. Currently the government owns a 100 per cent stake in LIC. The valuation process is underway for the insurance giant. Analysts peg the valuation of the insurer at around ₹ 10-12 lakh crore, making it India’s second most valued company after Reliance Industries, ahead of marquee names such as TCS, HDFC Bank and Infosys.

Up to 10 per cent of the LIC IPO issue size would be reserved for policyholders.

Though few quarters away, the IPO of LIC has already started to catch the attention of the market. Apart from the discussions on Valuation, Size and Time of the IPO, a report posted here says that CDSL could be a beneficiary of LIC IPO as people rush into open Demat accounts to apply under policyholder quota! Whether the buzz around LIC IPO is really worth it or just a hype only time will tell.

Personally I am feeling happy for the fact that my LIC policies are of some use for me which otherwise only intended to benefit my family when I am dead :rofl:

Thanks!

3 Likes