Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

Hi,
It is not possible to show negative values in accrual / receipt’s column but if there is any positive values in other periods you can ajust it off (positive - negative) and if all are negative I think you no need to show negative values.

1 Like

Thanks @ChaitanyaC i don’t have knowledge of technical hence can’t be sure of profit booking levels looking at charts.

@karanthharsha999 not sure i understand the point you are making? being retail investor it is prudent to manage concentration risk and based on my limited knowledge allocation is probably most efficient method to it; hence my question was 1) do we track allocation based on cost or price 2) how do we determine the point where allocation should be reviewed through profit booking.
Perhaps you could elaborate more to everyone’s benefit as to what your take is for these questions.

I being a concentrated stock investor tend to differ from the allocation and profit booking for portfolio balancing.
When you talk about allocation would you be admitting that you might be wrong and want to diversify?
When you diversify, you limit the risk thereby yielding risk-adjusted returns. would you be in peace with it?
Why do you allocate when you want to build wealth?
Wouldn’t you allocate to manage wealth?
why would you not harness an opportunity when you come across it and tell yourself to allocate a certain percentage of your money to it.
Think like a businessman and you will see the difference and my point of view.
Thanks once again

2 Likes

Then you should understand more about the business and find out if the allocation should not be touched, or trimmed.

And basic technical knowledge is not that hard, if I can learn, anybody can. I say this because, no matter how great the story is, price cannot keep on going up endlessly. So there will be consolidations, support levels, resistance levels etc. So if one has more understanding of the business, and can see that understanding reflecting in the charts, one can take the decision of staying put or trimming.

I presume you are a new investor, so all these doubts, questions, indecisiveness are common, these all are steps. So even if you fail to get it 100% correct, consider your decisions as learning.

when you talk about allocation.
How much of it is really out of fear of losing?
fear of being wrong?
There is no one conclusion in the world of investing to anybody.
The opposite of a good idea is also a good idea in investing.
you have to know the boundaries of
risk and risk-adjusted returns
allocation
churning
speculation
even cloning too.
Thanks again

It varies man to man based on years of experience in market, investing style and many other factors.

People are putting nice explanation on your question so I thought to share my own experience of this microcap stock(will not take the name, but well discussed in this forum) I own. It was 8.12x for me in January this year,then this June market fall happened. I added 35% of my invested amount into it and reduced my gain, it is 5.2x now for me.

It came from my conviction on this company, long quarter by quarter study of it’s performance and future growth potential. I frequently hear this term “I am holding free shares”, people sell invested capital when some stock they own gives some good returns,as you mentioned in your query. But I don’t believe in this style. But again, it depends on man to man and their style of investing.

Where can I look for ANDA application on US FDA site

I have picked up one drug from Gland Pharma

First I have looked up on FDA Orange Book , took the chemical entity name and then looked up the below site

I can’t find any Gland Pharma reference anywhere in the document and unable to locate the original ANDA application.

I am trying to understand all the parties involved to manufacture this medicine, API providers, syringe providers etc…

One more observation is Gland reported it on 4th May 2002 that they have approval from USFDA where as on the US FDA site it shows it is approved in 2013 .

@harsh.beria93 or any pharma experts please help me to understand this better

In the document shared, its clear that bortezomib was filed with a partner, so the ANDA will be in the name of the partner (and not gland pharma).

The ANDA approval letter on FDA website doesn’t provide details on API or medical device supplier. In some instances, you can find the label where manufacturer name will be mentioned.

1 Like

Dear all,

I have a incident to share about the Ex-Date/ Record and basis that, I am seeking guidance from the group members on how to handle the situation.
I have been holding Birlasoft shares for some time in different accounts. The company had declared Buyback at 500/sh and Dividend of Rs 3/Sh some time back. The Record date was 15th July and Ex date listed on BSE website was 14th July.
Based on my understanding that once Exdate is there the benefits accrue to the existing shareholders, I sold majority of my shares on 14/15th July. As an example, I was holding 100 shares on 12th July. I sold 40 shares on 14th July and 20 shares on 15th July. The shares were deducted from my demat account the same day of selling and hence on 16th July my holding was 40 shares in demat account.
When the dividend was credited to my account, I was surprised to see the dividend being paid only on 40 shares (holding as of 16th July). Same way buyback entitlement was calculated and given on the shares being held on 16th July - 40 shares only.

This was contrary to my expectations and I reached out to the company and registrar. They have given the following answer:
1)For Buyback - The shares have to be in my account as on close of Record date. I argued but they have stuck to their point as of now.
2)For Dividend - They are still searching for the answer and taking guidance from their seniors about this.

I believe that prima-facie there position for both Buyback and Dividend is incorrect. I am sure about the Dividend part but want to get views on if Buyback entitlement has any different norms than the EXdate. Also if any other boarder has experienced similar issue wrt Birlasoft or any other company earlier?

Further, if I want to complain and take this up further, is there any guidance which I can get - Who to complain to (Sebi, BSE/NSE/Any website), Contact details (Name/number/email) and any other feedback/suggestion?

Look forward to your response/guidance.

Thanks
Nikhil

As far as dividends are concerned, my understanding is that dividends are paid out for the shares you hold as of EOD on record date.
In fact when I went through their notice to the exchange, they have clearly mentioned this.

I dont think this is the case. I think it is on the basis of Exdate, which is generally one day before the Record date. We follow T+2 system which means that shares sold on T day will be credited to buyer account on T+2 day. So if shares were sold on 14th from my account, then they will get credited to buyer account on 16th. That means , on Record date, the buyer is also not holding the shares in his demat account.
This interpretation of record date will mean that company will not pay Dividend to anybody - neither the person selling on 14th, nor the person buying on 14th July, which is not correct. So their notice is faulty is what I believe.
Regards,
Nikhil

I faced the same situation with dividend. That was given to me by the broker with quarterly settlement.

The Mistake is not on exchange or company part. The shares sold on ex date, one should deliver on pay in day only. In your case since shares were delivered before record date/book closer ,the same were lying in brokers pool account & from there it goes to exchange on pay in day. Hence check with your broker as he must have received dividend ,which they pass on to clients by JV. Even he must have received buy back form by email, & i am not sure whether from his pool account one can transfer shares for buy back.
In future be alert while selling anything on Ex basis , & make it a point to deliver the script on pay in day only. For this you need to have sufficient margin or some other shares as pledge with broker as SEBI requirement .

Eventually, you don’t own the shares on the record date is what matters. We can’t tell if the broker or the buyer got the dividend, can we?
Also, as per my knowledge, they report in subsequent results/updates how much dividend they paid.

Dear all, Thanks for the responses. However I still think that Dividend has to be credited to my account once exdate has gone. Otherwise what is the purpose of the Exdate itself.

Any pointers on who to approach to lodge a complain?

Thanks.

Nikhil

For complaints, there is SEBI SCORES. I have used it before and it worked reasonably well but in a completely different scenario.

Shown below is an extract from the Cash Flow Statement of PI Industries. The statement shows an Unrealized loss on forex transactions of Rs.599 million this year compared to a gain of Rs.311 million last year. I am unable to find any relevant entry for this in either the P&L or the Balance Sheet. Can someone tell me where this is coming from ?

The management of Aarti Industries has guided for a Capex of Rs 3000 Cr for the next 2 years (FY 23, FY 24). Out of the projected Capex company has spent 200 Cr in the current quarter (Q1FY23).

Can anyone please explain where is the costing of this capex and the revenue generated thereof is accounted in attached equity report?
Aarti Industries stock report.pdf (1.0 MB)

Is it confirmed that revenue generation has started from that capex? 1 quarter seems too soon for a manufacturing company.

My understanding is: once revenue generation has started accruing from capex, then that capex would be shown in Fixed Assets (Gross Block will go up, Depreciation will start). Until then that capex would be shown in CWIP (Capital Work in Progress).

Sir,
Generally cash flow hedges are classified as part of Other Comprehensive Income and usually effect the Total Equity directly in the Balance sheet. Please search for the section Other Comprehensive Income.