Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

Assuming the amount is not too small (since you are an NRI), would it not be much cheaper to directly buy the Nifty basket instead (in the same proportion, of course)? The Dividend Yield alone will more than compensate for all the costs. A one-time effort will be required to create the required set up but I guess Zerodha website may be supporting that as well. The key benefit of buying stocks directly is that your transaction costs are one time & fixed, while with the ETF & Index Fund, you end up paying a percentage of index value which increases as time passes by.

2 Likes

Alright, good point, thanks @pankajdewan

Thanks for the pointers @Chandragupta. If I had a lumpsum to invest this would have been a good option, of course 1 time effort needed, but as u mentioned, the dividend yield would have been an interesting added bonus!
But I plan to invest in SIP mode over 3-5 years and not lump sum, hence the repeating cost will be an unavoidable one.

Hi, can anybody guide on technical analysis on how to use it along with fundamental analysis? e.g. we know which stock to buy through fundamental analysis. But we don’t know when to buy and when to exit. I was listening to one of video of Vivek Mashrani and he has suggested using volume action and technical indicator. It makes sense to use them in order to start researching a company and enter if fundamentals are also good. So any help/pointer on how to do volume and technical analysis and if there are any tools.

I started using technicals after reading about it and the early results seems to be encouraging. though non conclusive.as yet. I read up on books by Mark Minervini, Jesse Livemore, The Next Apple by Ivaylo Ivanov. Also read up all the posts by @hitesh2710 bhai on his page and @pattu sirs posts on market timing on his site freefincal.com Hope this helps

4 Likes

How to interpret the valuation of a stock when its trading at low PE & around 52 weeks high?
For example: Glenmark.
TTM PE: 16.15
Sector PE: 40.72
LTP: 514
52 week high: 573

Wait for the price to break previous swing high and buy after it retraces the newly created swing high. Keep a stop loss and start trailing it with each swing highs. Sell when you think fundamentals have degraded or it breaks your trailing stop loss. Stop loss you have to decide as per your risk tolerance.

I have Just started learning technical analysis, can anyone please tell is it was an ascending triangle chart pattern?

1 Like

Please could you let us know the name of the books in addition to the Author’s name.

Think and Trade like a Champion by Mark Minervini
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre
The Next Apple by Ivaylo Ivanov
How to Make Money in Stocks by William O’Neil (originator of CANSLIM method)
Evidence-Based Technical Analysis by David Aronson ( Found the writing style very dry, gave it up halfway, will try again later perhaps)

1 Like

Hello friends,

Looking for your assistance.

Where can I find earnings call text transcript? Trendlyne and companies website provides video of earning calls but am looking for text transcript.
Thanks.

1 Like

Please check ResearchBytes.com website, they have both audio and transcripts of concalls.

Also these days most companies are providing concall transcript in their investor section on their websites itself.

Also in the research reports from brokerages, there will be summary of concall for every quarter, which will be easy to follow once u r following the Company for a few quarters.

@Deven https://tikr.com/ is a good site for transcripts

Thank you so much - @MHS & @barathmukhi

Got it on researchbytes and tikr. Appreciate your quick assistance.

1 Like

Hi all,
L&T Finance holdings Ltd. has fixed January 22, 2021 as record date, for its proposed Rs 3,000-crore rights issue. The company’s rights issue offer will open on February 1 and will close on February 15 and the entitlement ratio is 17:74.

Suppose if I have 74 sell shares as on 22-Jan but say I sold it before 01-Feb. Am I still eligible for the rights issue because I had the shares in my demat account as on the record date.

Please clarify.

Thanks!!

Yes you will be eligible for the rights shares if you hold shares on the record date even if you sell them after that.

Just one word of caution,the Ex-date is very important,which in this case is 21/01/2021…So today is the last day you can purchase shares to be eligible for the rights issue.
Any shares purchased on or after the Ex-date are not eligible for any corporate action.

1 Like

Hi Folks,
While reading VP threads on my PC, the header is getting displayed in the middle, which is making it difficult to read. is anyone else facing the same issue? Please help to fix it.

Thank you.

for example, here is how this thread is looking for me.

This happen when you zoom browser above 150%

thank you @SKMohite, that was the issue. will keep it upto 150% only.