Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

Portfolio Management Software recommendations : Can the good people in the forum guide me on some of the reliable widely used Portfolio Management Software used by members.
I am a long term investor and good at fundamental analysis but trying to also use basic technical analysis for timing trades in preferred stocks. At my advanced age, I struggle with the multiple Technical analysis trend indicators and terms :shushing_face:
I hold over 100 scrips (more than what is recommended but concentrated in around 30 stocks). Primarily Indian Equity with 4-5 mutual funds. No bonds, cryptos, commodities. My scrips are held in 5 demat accounts at 3 DP(gradually consolidating into 1 DP). I do not do day trading.
I am looking for Portfolio management software, to record my purchase and sales in portfolios (year wise basically). Ideally to auto upload trades from broker contract notes. But I can manually enter daily trades if needed. Current price feed is essential, and gain/loss calculation.
Wish list : ability to extract list of gainers and losers across my consolidated portfolio, on 20/50/100 days basis, with moving averages if possible.
Grateful if some widely used choices are advised to me. If there is a existing thread on this topic, please guide me with the link. Many thanks. …RamC

1 Like

M Profit provides auto update option and also gives XIRR calculation as well

Except for a few things, a lot of things change with time we spend in market, as we gain knowledge and experience. So, as you are at a early stage, focus on learning and investing as per your understanding.

If capital is a constraint, then you can think of exiting old ones which have not moved as per your expectation or which have gone down. If not, you can hold them for some more time and go forward with your latest picks. Until we have a broad understanding of things, whatever we do now can make us feel bad later - did not invest more as it got doubled, now it is 300% up, did not sell as it was 15% down, not it is 30% down. Even experienced investors are not always happy with their buying and selling decisions.

Members of this forum do this in different ways, you can check PF threads to see which style suits you. Hold on to something for years, letting something go after a few quarters, convinced and bought but found something better so exit, enter and exit where there is momentum, buy only which is deemed undervalued etc etc, many ways. And, as we gain experience, we grow as investors, we may have changed our styles and we may have become completely different investors.

Almost all have passed this phase, and this will be over with time.

1 Like

How does ETF like NIFTYBEES deal with dividends?

I don’t seem to get dividends. Also, new units are not added to my holding for the dividends received by the ETF. So I wonder about how this ETF (or ETFs in general in India) deal with dividends.

I found this from the NIFTYBEES scheme document:

The income received by way of Dividend shall be used for recurring expenses and Redemption requirements, or shall be accumulated and invested as per the investment objective of the Scheme. There is a risk of higher Tracking Error due to the income received by way of Dividend till it is reinvested. The expectation is that, over a period of time, the Tracking Error of the Scheme relative to the performance of the underlying index will be relatively low.

In short, dividends received by this ETF is used for expenses, redemptions, etc. The remaining dividends are accumulated and reinvested, keeping the tracking error in mind.

2 Likes

@Worldlywiseinvestors sir if company receivable and payable both increase at approx. same rate than it could be red flag or not ?

Any one please help me out

what does mean if receivable or payable or inventory is negative ?

Hi, today on screener.in I’m seeing several updates of large trades of stocks of several companies (NMDC, Airtel, RVNL, Suyog etc) by various parties. But these are old trades from the last two years or so.

Is there any reason why all these companies are posting these announcements today?

I am trying to remember the website which summarizes the market news and corporate filings every week.

How should one analyse Fintech companies ?
What are the few metrics / parameters that one should look at apart from the conventional items like growth, margin etc

Is book value, price to book, sales per employee etc correct parameters to check ?

(I am looking at Zaggle )

1 Like

Compliance
Promoter/ group experience in the field
Niche mote
Monetizing power
TAM
Peers
Endorsement
Value chain clients and providers

2 Likes

Is there any platform specifically designed for management’s analysis explaining details of the promoters, their merits and alliances with political leaders, litigations against them ?

3 Likes

MCA
BSE, NSE
LINKEDIN
after all this also India market is not considered as an efficient Market,
I would appreciate any information about such platform as requested by @ca.rishab thank you.

1 Like

If a company shows a big no as depriciation eventually leading to low or negative PAT, what should we derive from such a company while reading financials. Will it add only to free cash flow or there is any other benefit too?

Company in focus - TVS Supply Chain

1 Like

Depreciation gets lowered with time if no new assets are added, so it is a short term taxation benefit which could be utilised by company, in the longer run depreciation would get normalised and actual picture would come out.

In case of TVS Supply chain, the ROE is very less since past few qtrs thus keeping the EPS very low and henxe resulting in astronomical PE. How should we valuate this. Please find a screenshot of the management commentary in latest concall as well, regarding the depreciation no.

1 Like

See the attached ss of the Financial statements from the year ended March 23, they have very huge assets situated in Right of use assets (basically lease assets such as property) which they depreciate over the period of lease which might be few years and could be the reason that huge depreciation is charged every year to write it off from the balance sheet.

Also what they are saying in concall is partly true as majority of depreciation comes from right of use assets only. They have said around 110 cr dep on ppe but only 36 cr is on ppe and 145 cr approx in on right of use assets and only 3 cr on intangible assets and not 30-40 cr as they have claimed in concall. (idk why they are not clear with the figures and claiming any number blatantly)

I hope I was able to explain why depreciation was very huge here.

Attaching three ss.

2 Likes

You can use EV/EBITDA to value such companies.

@maddyj88

The management is saying in future the revenues will grow faster than depreciation. May be yes, but that is in the future. As of today, the free cash flows are not really free until you reduce them with mandatory lease payments:

So deduct that too from CFO (besides normal capex) if you want to see what today’s real free cash flows are.

4 Likes

Interesting! So they are capitalising lease. The amount is significant in the balance sheet 1000 Crs +. From the annual report have not been able to understand what it is, i.e are they lease rent paid in advance or capitalising the lease paid for accounting period? If they are capitalising the lease paid during the accounting period, then its a red flag for me! Not sure I’m missing something!

3 Likes