Indian Energy Exchange (IEX)

Perhaps a new avenue for power exchanges…

4 Likes

Where are you getting this data from? I don’t even see their website on google!

1 Like

@ankush12495 Thanks for providing the data. After seeing your data. I was also able to find the source which is HPX website itself. Appreciate your due diligence.

I also think it is still early day as any new player takes time.

invested from lower level, observing and baised

3 Likes

https://www.hpxindia.com/index.html

1 Like

I invested in IEX today, for a range of reasons, and I spent a good chunk of the morning going through this thread. @Ravichand08 , your message really stood out to me. Even though it has been over a year now, your views hold true today, and coming in today, after quite the sell-off, I am fairly confident about IEX turning around.

Even with another exchange active and running now, it will take a long time for any entity to meaningfully take a chunk out of IEX’s market share.

Unlike the competition between the BSE and NSE, where the NSE was the first to embrace electronic trading, IEX’s platform and products, as least based on my understanding, seem to still be best in class. Not to mention its network effects.

Additionally, I am hopeful that MBED becomes a reality, and in any case, with traded power expected to rise from 7-8% of total power today to about 25% in two years, even if IEX loses half of its market share, there are still tailwinds that work in its favour. I am also keen to see derivatives trading properly take off in power exchanges in India (subject to regulatory approval, etc.).

15 Likes
5 Likes

Thanks but I am getting this error. I checked its not browser issue. Is it because I am accessing the site from outside India?

You can try this https://www.hpxindia.com/ in incognito mode. It should work.

Is it a good development for iex. Seniors may suggest.

6 Likes

It seems like it will benefit tatapower and adani power . This is nothing but indirect privatisation and a much needed move by the center

Based on a circular released back in 2019,Gov has debarred 13 states from perticipating in power exchanges because of non payment of dues to Gencoes . Company expects this to be resolved soon .

2 Likes

Apparently, of these 13 states, 6-7 are huge in terms of exchange participation and could form 40-50% of its volumes.

1 Like

In other words If punishment is leading to debarring from accessing exchange power, it talks a lot about importance of exchanges!

7 Likes

For Those who don’t have PPA in place to meet the State Demand depend heavily on Power Exchange e.g Andhra Pradesh. Some of the mentioned states have not paid the producers for 7 Months so it’s a serious issue. Although some might survive the immediate danger by arranging powers from neighboring states due to politics

1 Like

According to ET now: Out of the 13 states that were resricetd, bidding restriction removed for 6 states i.e. AP, Maharashtra, Chattisgarh, Bihar, Jharkhand and Manipur. They have already started participating in the RTM market. Issue for others also will be resolved shortly.

5 Likes
2 Likes

If that is the case, why did they ban Maharashtra from the dealing in exchanges? These discoms have 1.5 lakh worth of dues and the govt has to do something to force them to clear these. It is highly unlikely for this to be a political move. And if you see, they paid almost 80% dues, that means they have the money, they just don’t want to pay.

6 Likes

The exchange provides price discovery or in other words lowest available price because of the participation of large number of buyers and sellers. Discoms can ofcourse do off exchange trades and they do it even now when they really need it . This happened a few months ago when exchange prices were capped . Gencos sold it at higher prices off-exchange to the discoms.
However, unless the discoms are ready to pay higher prices than the exchange price, gencoes have no reason to sell off exchange.
I also do not understand the arm twisting angle …so the states can spend on populist giveaways and default on their payments to creditors at will endlessly and if they are made to pay by some pressure ,its armtwisting ? If so,I am all for it …twist and even yanking it off is fine as long as tax payers money is saved from going down the drain in crazy votebank enhancing schemes.
Disc: Invested for long term

9 Likes

It was not false demand. They paid on wednessday and the debarment came to effect from Thursday midnight .

Simple explanation is timelag in decision making between govt departments. After delaying payment for more than 6 months you can hardly complain for a decisonmaking delay of a day.
Lots of BJP ruled states(Karnataka,MP,Maharashtra etc) got barred as well. Also if you check the Praapti portal you can see notice and corrigendum for states like Manipur going thru the same predicament as Telengana . Whats so special about telengana unless the observer is politically biased ?

5 Likes