Hitesh portfolio

Power sector companies are governed by Regulatory commission. Tariff of all hydro power companies such as NHPC, SJVNL, etc are fixed by Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC). Tariff of the electricity of these compnies is based on cost plus basis. Such companies are allowed to take 16 percent profit on equity and the equity is limited to 30 percent only. Hence in my view these companies cannot earn more than 5 percent of capital employed.

Tariff of Most of the thermal, solar and Gas based companies is based on competitive bidding. That means companies which quoted lowest tariff got the license to generate and sell electricity.

All these companies are allowed to generate and sell certain percentage of electricity, perhaps, not more than 25 percent, as commercial power, for which these companies can charge rates based on long term bilateral contract or they can sell power in Energy exchange. Cost of selling electricity on bilateral agreement is mutually agreed price at the time of entering into agreement. But if one looks at the prices of electricity on energy exchanges he / she will find that cost of electricity has gone down drastically in last few years.

In such a scenario the power companies may not be able to earn extra ordinary profit.

3 Likes

What are your views on coal India .

Makes me think then why do so many business houses diversify into power business? Also, how is NTPC still a Navratna PSU with such weak business economics. If the return on capital is sure shot so poor (for oil companies it is not sure shot but dependent on crude prices), why do power companies even exist as a listed business. Thanks

1 Like

All the companies formed during coal blocks allocation were for the purpose of getting blocks allocated, increase in valuation multifold, sold part stake , took loans from banks on projects and then left projects halfway after siphoning the money.

3 Likes

Dear @hitesh2710 bhai,
What do you think of KCP limited? The stock has taken tremendous beating over last 2 years with both Cement and Sugar (Vietnam) struggling. Only saving grace has been improvements driven by other segments but they are unable to compensate for poor cement performance.
That said, stock has significantly outperformed market in last 1 week or so. Current EV per tonne is roughly around $40!

Thanks in advance!

Dear @hitesh2710, There is free fall in KPR mills share price. Actually In longterm Textiles may benefit from these crisis and KPR has a good track record with execution capabilities with ethical management. Do you see any impact in the business in long term? Please share your thoughts.

Before replying to specific company queries I feel one needs to first understand that the next couple of weeks are very crucial to India and one needs to monitor the spread of the covid virus in India. One needs to be patient and see the situation unfold without being too trigger happy.

Companies like KPR and KCP are looking cheap and might get cheaper depending upon how their business environments shape up post all the dust settling.

If at all one wants to make a list, try to figure out companies which have solid business models and absolutely no doubts about corp governance and promoter integrity. This is one correction where everything will correct by undergoing big cuts. Imagine bajaj finance halving within a matter of a month or so. And still no clarity on whether to buy it or not.

So as I mentioned before its better to sit on the sidelines and wait for the dust to settle. Even if there is a sharp bounce back for a day or two, till clarity emerges on the containment and subsequent fall in number of cases and deaths both globally and in India markets are not expected to do much except maybe go down if at all.

In the meantime its better to make oneself safe so that we live to fight another day by strictly following the measures that are propagated to safeguard oneself against getting infected. I dont want to repeat them here because Whatsapp university has taught us all that is necessary, and much more to take care of ourselves.

30 Likes

Power sector reform started with enactment of Electricity act 2003. Before that only Government sector companies were constructing power projects. At that time the country was power deficit and the cross subsidy by the state electricity board compounded the problem for industries. Cost of electricity was very high. Before that NTPC and NHPC had the monopoly and the cost of electricity was governed by them. Now the situation has changed drasticaly.

Private sector was allowed to generate power and many large companies entered into generation resulting in gradually decrease in electricity cost. Still the power generation cost of major power players is much lower than the electricity Tariff of the state distribution companies. These companies must be using commercial power for running their own industries or might be having long term power sale agreements with other industries at good rates. One can check the power genertaion cost of these companies and the Industrial Tariff of the state utilities.

I have been looking at care ratings for a while right now the stock is available at 7.5 p/e with investments with book value 480 crore and market capitalization 800 crore.Looks very nice.But there may be further decrease in stock price going forward,

Iā€™m making a list of companies for short term and long term plays after this pandemic comes to its end.
What are your thoughts on Indag rubber?Would it be a good play for 12-20 months after the situation gets better?
my reasons:
1)fall in crude prices => increase in margins
2)continued demand sluggishness in auto sector,especially the CV segment looks unlikely to revive this calendar year due to Covid and BS6 disruptions => more retreading needed?
need to watch :
a) unorganised to organised shift in the sector
b)choice between new tyre and retreading when rubber prices fall

2 Likes

Portfolio construction is the key to success. We tend to look at PSUā€™s at attractive valuations which can make a 2x, but we also forego good companies at a cheaper price.

Opportunity cost is very high.We chase winners of 2012-2018 , and tend to lose the sight of winners in 2025.

I have advised clients not to buy HDFC bank at this fall, may look odd but there are structural reasons as to how they will impair portfolio run up for next 5 years also risk free rate now being low.

When thereā€™s a global issue even before the dust is settled we debate on quality cos to buy. So we have been blinded by ā€œbuy the dipā€ mantra. From a opposite view the issues arenā€™t yet settled and impact of this would be only clear from 6 months now. 2008 was a systematic fall concerned as a financial crisis so it was easier to draw conclusions . This is a all together different issue.

What I would do is keep holding cash and raise cash to phase out my buys on winners of 2025-2030.

Iā€™m sebi-registered analyst, not recommending any stocks discussed above.

6 Likes

Request if you elaborate on that thought process. Are we expecting unsecured retail NPAā€™s to go thru the roof. But then what happens to customerā€™s credit rating/history. Moat created cannot be smashed so easily. There is a reason cos like Kotak/HDFC/Bajaj are gaining market share thru reach and technology. From that angle, the entire banking pack is at risk.
thanks

Dear @hitesh2710 Sir,

Below is a list of some high dividend yield stocks. Could I request your view on the same. Naturally ones with lower D/E should be better off than the rest, but may see earning erosion going forward resulting in much lower yields for next year. Some hints on how to approach this would be helpful.

3 Likes

I am also very much interested in High Dividend stocks. But 1 doubt. Is there any guarantee that in future also they will pay High dividend? In this Coronavirus problem if their business goes down will they be giving same dividend in future also? What is your view. Also good if Hitesh Sir has some view on this.

Interesting Pattern I noticedā€¦the below companies raised from bottom to high from Jan 2014 .

1.Motilal oswal
2.Hikal
3.Kalyani steels
4.Avanthi feeds
5.Hesterbio
6.Dhanuka Agreetech
7.Schaeffler India

All are in different sectorsā€¦can we consider this as bull run started at Jan 2014ā€¦
Please throw your light on thisā€¦

We have been having a rough volatile ride in the markets since past few trading sessions. All during the fall as I have articulated earlier in my posts as well, I have been trimming/selling off my portfolio positions and now sitting at comfortable cash levels.

With the strong downswing a lot of companies we have tracked have come down to very mouth watering levels if one goes by the easy way of looking at the conventional valuations parameters like PE or P/B etc.

However for companies where there is a clear run way and there are no issues with corporate governance, valuations in most cases are still not no brainer types. Just to give an example, I got some examples from a Whatsapp forward (not checked exact valuations but my guess is the value shown in the post will match the real valuation close enough. This is for purpose of approximation and doesnt need to be exact)

Godrej consumer products peak PE 62x, current PE 22x
Marico from 60x to 26x PE
Havells from the peak PE derated from 70x to 38x.
KRBL down 80% from peak of 35x PE to 5x PE
Page ind from 102x to 48x
Eicher from 81x to 17x
HDFC AMC: 68x ti 33x
HDFC Life 131x to 61x
La Opala 70x to 17x
Bharat Forge 71x to 15x
Astral poly 135x to 51x
ICICI lombard 60x to 41x
Titan from 85x to 55x
Kajaria 50x to 20x
Nerolac 65x to 36x
Berger 95x to 70x
TVS motors 89x to 20x
VIP Ind 60x to 20x
Bata 82x to 40x
ITC 45x to 13x
KEI Ind 26 to 8x
Zee 60x to 7x
Maruti 48x to 20x
Britannia 78x to 44x

As can be seen from above, companies like krbl, kei etc are cheap on the parameters described above. But these have issues of their own, as we know in krbl, zee atleast.

Now what we dont know is how the next few quarters, say q1, q2, q3 of FY 21 are going to pan out and whether there is likely to be de growth or not. If there is de growth then above valuations will become even more expensive. However if the bet is that there will be strong growth due to pent up demand (also a possibility) then one can definitely consider investing.

For myself I am not too clear how the situation going ahead is likely to pan out and hence am sitting on sidelines and would be likely to do some trading in highly liquid names if I see a good enough opportunity or opportunities.

@axiskumar I did not get your question. But my guess is it is to do with sector leadership. I think sector leadership will be evident only once a strong bull run starts and for that to happen we need the current bear market to run its course. In bull run most stocks will run to varying degrees but the sector leading the run will create the maximum and most durable wealth. As of now, it seems the darlings of previous bull market like consumer finance, micro finance, private banks etc are all taking it on the chin. Once they stop correcting, there will be sharp upmoves but they will be tradable upmoves and not secular upmoves. (atleast thats the view I hold as of now. ) From among these sectors also big winners can emerge but from a sector that has lost market fancy its difficult to exactly pinpoint which company/companies are going to be the winners.

I think this pandemic will change a lot of business landscapes and we need to be patient enough to see how things pan out. In the meanwhile if we get no brainer bargains, it might make sense to buy but one has to be absolutely sure.

28 Likes

Hello Hitesh ji

What is your view on PSU like NBCC, COCHINSHIPYARD, RITES, RVNL since they are debt free and strong execution skills and now trading at cheap valuations? I have holding in these stocks and I would like to hear your advise on this.

Hitesh bhai,
whats your view on Bajaj Finance ?

Hitesh sir
What is your view on Manappuram finance
Today everyone is in need of cash
Usually during such bad times the personal loan and all other loan applications go up
Manappuram is still giving on line gold loans which is around 40% of their gold loan book
Gold prices are good
It is available at pe of 5
Itā€™s Microfinance subsidy will take a hit
To me it looks like they will make a good come back
But given this uncharted territory getting very confused :man_shrugging:
Whatā€™s your view
Please share
Thanks
Mahesh

@hitesh2710, Hitesh Bhai, please throw some light on what is the issue with KEI.that you mention it along with krbl,zee.
Thanks
Disc:Invested a little before current fall. 1% of portfolio