Hitesh portfolio

@jayesh265

Regarding my current sectoral allocation, I am more tilted towards small and midcaps as of now. Sector wise there is no sector which I could figure out has caught market fancy barring speciality chemicals wherein the top companies continue to do well. Private banks seem to be doing well too and likely to do well in future also.

What is interesting is small cap space where inspite of very good consistent numbers for few quarters now, some companies are available at very attractive valuations in respect to their future potential.

Personally most of my networth is invested in equities. I have some small investments in real estate, land and small stake in a small hospital where I am an inactive partner. I can afford to have a large part of my wealth in equities as I am not too much dependent on it for day to day expenses as I still practice dermatology and have other income streams due to pension.

43 Likes

@sujay85

The frontline auto stocks and some top tier auto ancillaries have had a good run in past few weeks. It may be signalling to a turnaround in the sector. Need to see how sales numbers come through for next few months.

Regarding OEM being better bets, its not a thumb rule but what I personally prefer. Its easy to figure out the trajectory of the company in question by looking at the monthly data released on the bourses. Same may not be possible for auto ancillaries.

Auto ancillaries like Motherson Sumi, Minda Inds etc have created huge wealth over the past few years. I think they will continue to do well. I am particularly impressed with Minda Inds. For more details you can read up @zygo23554 presentation he made at Goa this year. Minda Inds in particular seems like a good long term bet especially looking at the way it held up during the past year amidst auto slowdown.

13 Likes

@bhaskarbora67

Technical analysis of stock trends by Edward and Mcgee is a good book for learning technical analysis. This is a sort of textbook where one can read up about all the things related to TA. And then from among all the different stuff, one can pick up what resonates with ourselves and keep practicing hard on it. I personally found the long term patterns of cup and handle, inverted h&s, double bottoms etc very interesting and kept looking at numerous charts and now I can pick up these patterns even by a cursory look at chart if it is there. Once you know the basics its more of a visual art.

16 Likes

Motherson sumi, Wabco, MRF, Exide are in my portfolio from Auto ancillary stocks, any insight on these?
I sold Castrol as the future is for Electric cars.

@hitesh2710 what is your view on Deepak nitrite, given that new plant has been successfully launched and earning also looking good in rest of the segments as well.

Any other specialty chemical worth looking at currently?

HI Hitesh Ji,

What’s your view on Housing Finance companies? - It’s been a year since the crisis, when looking at their last four quarterly numbers I feel PNB & CANFIN are able to manage the tide very well. Share price now seems to be attractive. Do you think, as a business they still have potential to grow. Are these good candidate for SIP? What I could be missing here is - Revenue (or) profit from new loan disbursements vs Revenue (or) profit from old disbursements.

Also like to know your view on Varun beverages. With PAN India PEPSI license, do you think it could be a growth story in coming years?

Thanks in advance.

hi @hitesh2710 bhai,

how does a basket of Hero Moto, Maruti, Lumax Auto, Minda and Shivalik Bimetal Controls look to you to play any revival ?

Thanks

Hi Sir @hitesh2710. Are you tracking Shilpa Medicare ? Any views on the stock would be appreciated.

@learning Deepak Nitrite has posted great numbers for the past few quarters. To get more specific the past two quarters numbers have been superb mainly because of increase in prices of a key product Dasda. This has happened because of disruption in China which has led to shortage of the product and hence price rise. How long this high price of Dasda sustains is anybody’s guess.

On the flip side, the subsidiary Deepak Phenolics which began with a lot of promise now suffers from shrunken spread between phenol and its raw material. Hence profitability has squeezed as is evident from numbers of Deepak Phenolics in q2. While the company has invested a huge sum of 1400 crores in the project, the ROCE as of now is pretty low considering the shrunken spreads. If the spreads improve things can improve.

So if Dasda prices were to correct and phenol profitability remains subdued, the company might witness pressure on profitability.

Company plans to manufacture downstream products of acetone which should help in improving margins of deepak phenolics but one needs to see when manufacturing begins.

I exited the position post results of q2 fy 20 and have kept the company in watchlist.

Among other speciality chemical companies I remain invested in transpek and find it interesting. As of now they have one long term contract with an MNC which is driving growth and margins but if another or a couple of other orders materialise, then it can be on another trajectory. Till that time, stock is likely to be range bound.

6 Likes

@sivaramtvl

I have posted my views on HFC and NBFCs earlier in the thread also. Not too enthused by the sector.
I dont track varun beverages.

@Rohit_b and @gopikaveri I dont track any of the companies you listed. In fact I am not too keen to play any revival in the auto or auto ancillary space.

@mambajamba, as of now I dont track shilpa medicare. But the numbers in past few quarters have been pretty disappointing and the stock price has also corrected accordingly. Shilpa is a case where I feel market participants and analysts over estimated the moat/competitive advantage of the company and drove it to very high (but in hindsight undeserving) valuations. Plus there was the pharma sectoral tailwind to support price rise. Since it could not deliver on those expectations, the punishment meted out to it was also severe.

If you see now, oncology which was considered to be the moat of Shilpa, has become commoditised with so many companies coming out with dedicated onco facilities.

2 Likes

I have been getting a lot of queries and private messages about pharma space. I feel that in itself might indicate that sector may not have bottomed out. :grinning:

Broadly the pharma space is divided into companies which predominantly get their revenues from US and other export markets (and lesser part of total revenues from domestic markets ) . All the large companies fit into this category. Sun, Lupin, Aurobindo, Glenmark, Alembic, etc. Then there are some companies which get almost equal revenues from domestic and export markets. JB Chem fits into this category. Among others maybe Torrent and Dr Reddys fit in this category. (not too sure about it but anyone interested should check the presentation of respective companies). And then there are companies which derive a major part of their revenues from domestic markets. All MNC pharma companies fit into this category. Among Indian companies, Alkem (70% domestic revenues), Eris (100% domestic revenues), FDC (Nearly 70-80% domestic revenues) also fit into the latter category. Most of these companies derive their majority of revenues from formulations.

There is another group of companies which manufacture API which are intermediates used to manufacture formulations. (basically N-1 stage) Among these Divis stands out. Others are Solara (demerged arm of Strides), Hikal (part of its business caters to this), Syngene, Laurus (which is also venturing into formulations) etc . These companies have contracts with large domestic and foreign pharma companies to supply the API for formulations. Most of these companies are dependent on orders form other companies and are B to B in nature.

Coming to some specific queries regarding companies in domestic space, my thesis revolves around the kind of price action seen in the MNC pharma companies which predominantly cater to domestic space. Most of these companies have had stupendous rise. Part of it could be due to negligible concerns on promoter quality and part of it due to consistent (though sedate) growth reported by these companies.

The benefit domestic companies have is that they dont suffer from any regulatory risk from USFDA. But they do have a potential risk of their products getting trapped in drug price control. (DPCO) But with more and more patients becoming more affording and taking prompt treatment from doctors and a lot of govt incentivised schemes, the domestic market is witnessing good demand. A lot of these companies have increased their domestic sales force and have gained market share.

As a sector I am not too enthused by the pharma sector but since I am conversant with the sector, I look into pharma companies on a case to case basis and get interested if there is undervaluation or any other major trigger that makes those companies interesting.

Eris as a company has mind blowing margins and caught market fancy post its listing. It has an impressive line up of products and gets its revenues majorly from chronic segment which caters mainly to lifestyle diseases like diabetes, cardiology, vitamins etc. Only problem is I cannot figure out whether the nearly 30% net profit margins are sustainable or not. And how this company can get such stupendous margins while only catering to domestic markets. One of the factors is low tax rates. But even before that, it has very good EBIDTA margins. Question is whether it can maintain these margins and for how long. Stock price has corrected significantly in recent months and that makes it interesting, but need to look more into it. Concall provides a lot of details about the business.

JB Chem was a case of sheer undervaluation and a very conservative management going in for nearly 200 crores of capex and subsequently recruiting a large number of MR, taking its initial count of 800-850 two years back to current 1400 plus. And as luck would have it, it suffered from the much debated ranitidine scare. Now I hear a lot of knowledgable doctor friends pronouncing ranitidine safe and being more worried about recent reports of potential side effects of the PPIs (proton pump inhibitors e.g pantoprazole, rabeprazole etc ) especially in aged patients. It has announced a buy back at a price of 440 per share but quantum of buyback is small. But with improvement in profitability and stellar numbers (with sedate topline growth) in q2 fy 20, the EPS figures appear very attractive.

FDC has reported very good growth figures since past 2 quarters which is unusual for it. But whether this kind of performance continues or not needs to be seen. I have a tracking position in this company based on superb numbers for past 2 qtrs.

I have a lot of friends who feel that pharma as a sector needs to be looked into considering the kind of price erosion seen in the sector but I personally prefer to remain neutral. I like to see companies on a case to case basis;.

Hope this answers a lot of queries I have received in private message and in this therad.

65 Likes

Hello Hitesh, thank you for taking time to answer our queries - I can imagine the amount of time you need to dedicate for it. I had a basic question please ignore if already answered. Do you have some set of parameters that you check ( kind of quick checklist) before you deep dive into the business/financials of a prospective investment for e.g ROCE >15, op margin > 15 etc? If so can you please share and also let us know you thought process behind it? Also what are your main sources of these investment leads?

1 Like

Hitesh Bhai,

It was a really elaborate response presenting the crux of the pharma sector (your expertize is obvious !!)

The mention of buy-back in the response has generated a query in my mind. Right now I hold few Pennar Industries shares and this co. too has announced a buy-back@INR 45 which has opened from 25-11-19 and still going on.

However, I am not aware of the procedure about how to offer my holding to the company for buy-back.

Can you guide me and also the other fellow members as I am damn sure many of us are not aware of the procedure for this !!

Thanks & Regards,

Ramesh Patel

Login to your demat account and then navigate to IPO option. If the company has already announced buy back and has initiated the process, then you will see the name of the company there. If not wait for the option to appear. When you see the name of the company, click on GO and enter the number of shares you to surrender for buy back. If chosen by the Company, the shares will be bought back.

Hitesh bhai,

do you think there is incorrect FMCG tag attached to ITC. given that major part about 85% of the EBIT is from Cigarette business.I don’t deny that the actual FMCG business is growing well but as % to overall business is so low.
and from technical level do you think a meaningful run will happen only once it crosses the multi-year highs like reliance did in early 2017? Also there is a overhang of SUUTI selling, once that is complete the could be decent upside?

@Bikash

In case of ITC, majority of profits come from cigarettes. Even if you see in quarterly results for q2 fy 20, almost 80-85% profits come from cigarettes. Whereas on fmcg labelled as others, sales is nearly 3800 crores and segmental profit is at 90 crores. This is something that beats me. What is HUL doing that ITC is missing?

Technically ITC took support from its multiyear trendline in the recent fall. I think we might see good momentum on close and consolidation above 270. As of now it seems to be facing stiff selling pressure. Its for investors with a lot of patience.

18 Likes

Hi Hitesh,

Can you please share your top picks in mid or small-cap with good results?

Feel like this is the best time to convert from large caps to mid and small caps.

Thank you!
C

1 Like

@hitesh2710 ji,

Regarding the kind of companies to consider as proven compounders with long term story which the long-term investors can hold on, you have talked about the likes of Titan, HDFC Banks, Asian Paints, Nestle, 3M, Havells, PI Ind. etc. But what should actually be their sectoral and inherent characteristics?

Are these only a proven track record of consistent growth in profitability, reliable & competent management?

or, there are some sectoral distinguishments too?

For example, can the proven compounders of some cyclical industries like Maruti, Eicher, Motherson in Auto, or Carborundum Int., Balkrishna Ind. in Industrials, Aarti Ind, Vinati in diversified Chemicals, be also considered in those mold?

Hitesh bhai,
A non stock related question
You wrote earlier that its important to reread books like one up on wall street by Peter lynch, pat Dorsey books etc and you get fresh insights . On what do you lay special emphasis when you reread these books ? What should one pay special attention to while rereading such gems ? Many thanks

2 Likes

@ChetP

Some companies in small and midcap space I find interesting are:

APL Apollo Inds. Its a widely covered company and is a market leader in the sector it operates. A lot of unorganised players are getting out of business and that leaves the leader even stronger. Q2 fy 20 suffered from inventory loss. Longer term story looks good. disc: invested.

KPR Mills. From a very respected management. Company is undergoing transformation from a purely commodity type company making majorly yarn to a garment manufacturer where business is less cyclical and margins better. Opportunity size is also big. They have launched their own innerwear/leisurewear brand Faso but thats only an optionality. Results have been good. disc: invested.

Shri Digvijay Cement. Good techno funda combination. Covered along with chart. disc: invested

Birla Corp - written about it earlier. disc: invested.

Recently bought some Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd. A recent listing, the company is a proxy to the expansion plans of railways. Only spanner in the works is govt decision to invite competitive bidding for all future orders from rail PSUs for future projects. That might affect the assured margin it enjoys till now in the existing order book. A big plus is that the current order book is to the tune of 75000 crores which should keep the company growing at a healthy rate for next 3-4 or more years on the existing order book with good margins. Valuation wise very cheap especially because of the concerns on future order book and margin picture that can come out. (My guess is govt will not entirely kill the business ans since the bidding is by govt owned PSUs only , bidding may not go out of whack.)

Some pharma names like Alkem, Cipla, Alembic Pharma, JB Chem (invested), FDC (tracking position) , Natco pharma seem interesting. Most of these pharma companies are interesting due to higher domestic focus and in some cases like alembic and natco due to company specific triggers that may play out although as of now picture is not entirely clear and hence I have put these only on watchlist.

62 Likes