Hitesh portfolio

Hitesh ji

Thanks for sharing your views across so many topics. I have recently come across a small cap : Frontier Springs. Any opinion on the same

Overall business looks good and appear that they might have created a narrow moat in springs and with the expansion & focus on Metros and SuperFast Trains, company should have a fairly long runway as well.

I am interested to know, whether you have any opinion on their Promoters or Corp Governance issue as it is a very small company and not much information.

This has come down to 160/170 level in the recent correction and looks attractive.
Liquidity remains a concern though.

Your thoughts will be helpful

1 Like

Whether a bottom is made or not is to be seen only in hindsight. One cannot be too cocky and be absolutely confident that a bottom has been made. Its easy to identify short term turning points but longer term bottoms are tougher to identify. The small midcap carnage still continues though it tends to change its victims off and on, so it seems even if the bottom is made, a meaningful rally in small and midcaps may be some time away. Hence in wait and watch mode.

11 Likes

So neatly explained. Very insightful! Thanks a lot @hitesh2710 ji. :slightly_smiling_face:

@sukhlani1

i had a look at frontier springs and liked the business. They had a decent order book from railway segment and from feedback from a friend working in railways I got the impression that company has limited competition in its niche. Valuationwise also its not too expensive for a company showing good growth. I am not too sure about how it can scale up beyond a point. But overall looks a promising company.

@respondvignesh

Paper industry still seems in a wait and watch mode. Numbers reported by companies continue to be decent but seems markets know more than us. In cyclicals things tend to change very fast. e.g look at nmdc price pattern. Around 110-115, it looked headed for 140 amid positive newsflow and recently I saw its price and its down to 80 odd levels. So one has to be careful playing cyclicals especially in the current market mood.

7 Likes

@hitesh2710 ji,

There is no denying the fact that India is moving towards a Gas based economy in order to make sustenance. We are still very much lagging behind the global standards.

In this regard how do you think of the Sourcing & Regasification (Petronet LNG), Infrastructure (GAIL, Gujarat State Petronet) & City Distribution (Mahanagar Gas, Gujarat Gas or Indraprastha Gas) players. It is obvious that these players have lot to do to make India a more extensive Gas based economy.

Some of these companies (Petronet LNG, IGL etc.) made lot of investor wealth in the last decade (by price appreciation + dividend).

Shall we still need to ignore these companies just because these are PSUs or Step-down PSUs, and liable to have more Govt. intervention / regulations?

I am aware that these Govt. companies do not have much pricing power but I believe they still grow earnings many-fold owing to the huge volumes they can generate given the tailwinds the sector is having.

I would love to hear your opinion.

1 Like

@sujay85

All these gas based players do look interesting. One will have to dig deeper to find out which company stands to benefit most out of the govt’s drive to go for a gas based economy.

I personally dont track the sector too closely so not much idea who gains the most.

1 Like

Hiteshbhai , what’s your view on Trent Ltd ? Looks really interesting .

i dont track this sector but had read news
please go thru it

Hi @hitesh2710

I am not sure if it has been discussed before but what are your thoughts on high PE companies like say a Asian Paints or a Bata.
They have been remarkably resilient companies and seem unaffected by the current slowdown in most sectors. I was reading an interesting interview with the head (?) Berger Paints and he mentioned that 80% of the sales are just repainting work and hence they are not very highly impacted by the slow down in real estate sales.
In general does it make sense to have a few of these companies in your portfolio as a hedge against difficult times and with the intention to say make a decent 10% every year.
Another example could be Havel’s. I am not invested in any of them but they are the top of my mind.

2 Likes

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

@hitesh2710 ji you must have read about the experiences in LTTS AGM. Do, you think it gives a negative outlook for the L&T brand? Or, shall we give them a benefit of doubt given their track record. What is your general impression about Larsen & Toubro, barring this incident?

Hello @hitesh2710 ji , appreciate if you can give your view on the current valuation on many PSU’s like Coal India, NMDC, ONGC, Oil India all of these PSU’s are available at all time low, and dividend yield of 5-7%, which looks attractive.

I understand market is pricing very -ive view on these stocks, as sale via CPSE ETF has been regular by govt, which seems to be one of the reason these stocks are pricing further selling pressure by Govt, but from 3-5 years view, what would be your take on current valuation, specially for Coal India and NMDC.

Thank you!

1 Like

@Rajkamalpol High PE companies like Asian Paints or Bata have remained very strong in current markets as depicted by the relative strength of their stock prices.

Business wise also it seems they are least affected by slowdown.

Currently I am in a dilemma. Whether to hide in these solid stable businesses, compounders and safe hiding places like FMCG etc or be adventurous and try looking at promising small-midcaps available at attractive valuations and get into them albeit with an element of risk of short term price erosion.

As of now a combination of these two seems to be the way to go. How much of each to keep in one’s portfolio is an individual call according to different parameters.

@A_shah I dont track Trent.

@gagandeep With the recent correction throwing up more and more structural stories available at decent valuations, I would prefer to stay away with the names like NMDC, Coal India and such similar names. History has shown that barring brief periods of exhuberance, these kind of companies have rarely created enduring wealth. If one wants to buy these names, there has to be an exit plan ready right at the time of buying.

17 Likes

@sujay85

LTTS AGM fracas is only one aspect of a company like LTTS. If you look at the numbers (which in the longer run are the things that really matter) the company has done very well. Even the kind of work the company does seems to be something niche though its outside my expertise. It has good consistent growth, good margins, cash flows, return ratios etc. So it should definitely merit a deeper look.

6 Likes

@hitesh2710 Sir, your views about Hikal ?

Hitesh sir, if there were 2 companies growing at same rate, one uses almost all FCF for further growth while the other don’t need much capex & generates 70-80% free cash from profit…while both seems to have a long headway for growth, how the valuations would differ for the two?

1 Like

Hi Hitesh bhai,
1 How does one make out if a company is a stable and secular compounder ( eg Asian paints , HDFC bank ) as opposed to companies that “seem” as secular compounders but arent in reality eg Mayur uniquoters, Avanti feeds which have grown for a particular period due to some factor supporting but arent evergreen ? It seems these evergreen companies like HDFC bank , Bajaj finance etc seem to not reach the "mature company " stage as Lynch says in his book one up on wall street ? What’s the differentiating factor that differentiates these from the pretender stocks ?

2 How does one get rid of personal bias towards a stock? Many a times one holds on to a stock on basis of hope and doesnt take notice of the lowering growth information coming in quarter after quarter . This has happened with me in Page , Eicher and Ccl products . How does one take notice ? What are the indicators that one must see and how do you manage to be flexible in such cases ( favorite stock not performing )as per your experience?

3 could you pls give an example of averaging up and how it helps returns? What percent one must buy initially generally and how does one size up basis results and over what period of time ? I.e in how many tranches one must buy and what percent if one plans to invest in a stock that’s rising?

4 There is an opinion that depreciation shouldnt actually be considered as an expense while analysis and finding true earning power of a business and thats why one should see operating cash flow (instead of profit and loss account) where depreciation is added back. However isnt it also a outgo and isnt it a right deduction from profits as assets might be required to be purchased in future also for keeping the business running or growing?
Many thanks in advance

7 Likes

Can you throw some light on sectors where you see structural stories at decent valuations

@mambajamba

After struggling for many years to get its business and balance sheet on track, Hikal has been able to string together consistently good quarterly growth numbers from Sep 2017 which indicates nearly seven quarters of good growth. Even the management articulation in the annual report is detailed and mildly bullish.

It has two engines of growth in the form of pharma and agrochem and both seem to be doing quite well. Company has invested in enhancing facilities to meet higher growth expectations.

And with all these investments and good growth, balance sheet and working capital management seems okay. Its promoted by Hiremath and Kalyani group which dont seem to have negative history.

Overall, it seems company looks set to be on the growth track and my expectation is of around 15% topline growth with improving margins. Valuationwise although it is not too cheap, its not too expensive looking at the growth prospects. If company continues to deliver on the numbers front, it can provide decent returns.

Company does concalls, presentations and has provided detailed information in AR.

Disc: invested. (this is not a recommendation and anyone contemplating investment should do their own diligence. )

22 Likes

@hitesh2710 ji,

We frequently hear comments like India is the new Global hub of specialty chemicals, and the scenario has gotten brighter after the stringent environmental regulation in China has forced many chemical companies to close their plants. Also we are seeing the chemical companies of India are posting good results continuously.

What is your long-term view of the Chemical Industry in India?

Should large Chemical companies with diversified end-customer markets set to benefit the most, like Atul, Aarti Ind. etc?

1 Like

@A_shah

Stable and secular compounders have an unquestionable opportunity size in relation to the company’s and sector’s market cap and hence these companies can grow consistently for long periods of time. Some sectors that seem to throw up a lot of these compounders are fmcg, banks and financials, pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, consumer durables, niche software companies and so on. Among these the well run and big sized companies which can weather the periodic storms of any form usually end up being stable secular compounders.

In contrast to that, the pretenders which are often perceived by markets to be secular (for short periods of time after which there is disenchantment) have limited opportunity size or if it is there these companies fail to completely utilise these opportunities or else stumble after a point due to one or the other reason. For companies like Mayur the opportunity to grow still remained but company could not grasp the export opportunities as it should have and even the PU plant which was supposed to be a game changer never really took off. Avanti we all know suffers from a lot of variables which affect the demand supply equation.

I think companies like Page will continue to have good run in the longer term but in the near term it seems to be affected by the general slowdown. Here the management has been smart in introducing newer product range and keeping the growth going. Need to see after 2-3 quarters how growth pans out. For me CCL was always an over rated business where people got carried away by good numbers for a few quarters. Eicher has had a stellar run but the biggest growth enine which is the bullet suffered from market saturation and unless the company can come up with another such blockbuster product, it should find it difficult to grow. A hope for the company can be ramp up in commercial vehicles segment. But as of now that looks distant but who knows things can change going forward.

Getting rid of personal biases is often very difficult because a stock which has given multibagger returns often comes with a lot of market fancy and we tend to get carried away by numbers and narratives. In such a case one has to have independent thinking and keep looking out for any chinks in the armour. As hiren ved said in his presentation, never ignore the first crack. But there is a very thin line between being confident and cocky and outright stupid. One has to learn to rely on facts and figures and ignore the narrative and story built around the company.

Regarding averaging up, I have often been guilty of not having done that too often even though the story has kept improving. My problem has always been a big starting position. So if the stock tends to go up, my portfolio allocation to that particular company goes up and often reaches unhealthy levels due to run up and so I cannot think of averaging on the way up. However I could successfully do that in case of Ajanta pharma where I had bought starter position at very cheap rates and the company continued to grow consistently and even after run up the stock remained cheap on all valuation parameters. There I did add to my position especially once during the time when there was some income tax related issue and stock price corrected and I was able to add more after being sure that the tax issue was not serious.

Regarding buying in tranches, there is no definite answer to it. Depends upon the investment style of the investor. I used to buy the full allocation in a single shot when I got convinced about a company. But I have friends who have continued to buy in tranches in the same stories where I bought in a single lot and these guys tend to average on the way up. In my case I usually start with allocations of 5% these days (because markets are such that we get plenty of time to load up) and gradually increase. Earlier during uptrending markets this was to the tune of 10% and those positions never needed any more adding up. But every investor would have his own comfort zone in terms of how much to buy initially and how many tranches to use to add up.

Regarding depreciation not being considered an expense, we have to see what kind of depreciation policy the company follows. Some companies depreciate their assets within 10 years whereas competitors do so in 20 years. In such a case one has to make allowance for some higher valuation because the company in question is depreciating its assets at much higher rates than competitors or than what is mandatory. One can also go for valuation based on Enterprise value to operating cash flow or EV to free cash flow to get a better view about the valuation of the business. I am not too much of an accounting guy so I often need to take guidance from those good at these things sometimes. Thats the advantage of colloboration and being in contact with guys smarter than you.

And finally regarding someone else answering, I would prefer if someone who feels he can answer any queries addressed to me does answer as it provides an additional perspective to the query. @Ferrari1976 did answer and I would like such efforts to continue so that me and other guys reading can be benefitted by different perspectives on the same topic. Please dont discourage such attempts.

regards
hitesh.

51 Likes