Hitesh portfolio

@vidurchhabra
No wonder Hitesh sees possibilities of bubble territory. We should be cautious. You can form better-informed comments from stats below, and pursuing industry data -where knowledgable folks conclude there is sharp growth in lending amounts, but no concurrent growth in the physical outreach of branches and employees, then it is most likely that the credit checks of identity, pipelining and utilisation may be short-changed.

The gross loan portfolio of microfinance institutions (MFIs) stood at Rs.53,233 crore as of 31 March 2016, up nearly 84% from Rs.28,940 crore a year ago, according to data from the Microfinance Institutions Network (MFIN), a self-regulatory organisation for the industry. While the loan portfolio jumped 84%, the client base increased at roughly half that pace of 44% and branches increased just 22%, Mint’s Sahib Sharma reported on 27 June (Read here: http://bit.ly/28XnmBc ).

These stats tell its own story, doesn’t it?

22 Likes

Hitesh bhai, did you see the latest presentation from stalwart advisor regarding the consolidation of organised players. Snowman logistics looks very promising in a 15000cr cold chain sector with 94% unorganised sector market share. I feel it’s a promising stock. Did you have a look at this Co.

Also Piramal enterprises, I looked into their investor presentations. Amazing clarity and what a visionary Ajay Piramal is. He is truly the WB of India in terms of capital allocation. I have gone through all his videos from various sources. I was skeptical of him few years back when he was going big time in realty and infra, so had booked out. Now I am pleasantly surprised and have invested with PEL again

2 Likes

Hi Hitesh,

Can you share why Take and Granules didn’t make the cut for your core portfolio? Are there any serious management / corporate governance issues, because the revenue growth and earnings seem to be pretty good last few quarters with quite a few triggers for the next 2-3 years.

I’m aware about the Granules promoter pledging and Take’s complicated company/subsidiary structure.

4 Likes

Hi Hitesh,

I am new to this forum and also new investor in stock market; can you please guide me how do I start my journey? I am 38 year old and looking for long term investment in stock(10-15 year), can you suggest few stocks?

Many Thanks.

1 Like

My stock analysis on snowman logistics- your feedback please, Hitesh ji
Snowman logistics
Only listed and organised player in a 15000 crores value coldchain sector. Huge unorganised sector dominance of 94% in the market which speaks a lot of untapped potential in capturing the market share. That too with GST on the anvil it will be good news for this organized player. Serves in a niche field of logistics and with high growth in upwards of 15% in organised retail food industry and its ability to reduce the food wastage with cold storage facilities( the very reason why govt is giving IT exemption) THE COLD CHAIN POTENTIAL The prices of vegetables, fruit, milk, eggs, meat and fish have been rising faster despite India being the second largest producer of fruit and vegetables globally. Around Rs. 300 billion can be saved annually by developing an integrated supply chain (including cold chain).
Snowman caters to multiple sectors like poultry, FMCG, quick service restaurants, pharmaceutical, tyres and films. This multi-sectoral customer base has helped strengthen Snowman’s business model in a number of ways. One, this has helped the Company reduce an excessive dependence on the fortunes of any one sector; no industry accounted for more than 20% of the Company’s revenues in 2014-15. Two, the downstream industries addressed by Snowman represent robust economic proxies of a fast-growing nation. Three, Snowman has enhanced efficiencies in each these logistics-intensive customer segments. Four, Snowman has leveraged the learnings from one customer space in another, strengthening its overall solutions complement. To summarize the sector looks very promising and being the only listed and organized player it has lot of potential.

Now lets look into its financials as per the AR 2015, the first one after its ipo( 2016 AR is not out).

Return ratios are not high ( sub 10) coz of capital intensive nature of business( capex as percentage of sales is above 40%) . But the sales and earnings growth over the three yr and five year period are in upwards of 30, that indicates the high growth nature of the cold chain sector. Debt equity ratio is 0.22 and the management indicates the ease of debt raising in the future coz of this( capital intensive nature- reinforced).

Promoter holding is low (40%) . Gateway disparks is the promoter. Management remuneration is 4.8% of PAT ( slightly on the higher side).

Dupoint analysis of ROE( 7.74%) indicates the average to good NPM(12%), low Asset turnover(0.43) - implying capital intensive nature and Financial leverage ( 1.34). Though RoA was only 5%, the have used the leveraging part to increase their returns.

So going forward, How are they going to increase their RoE- primarily by increasing the Asset turnover after all their capex(They have already achieved 1 lakh pallets) and by deleveraging. Also they have turned their focus on higher margin products and efficient capacity utilization (as per the management words they start marketing spaces the day they begin building a new warehouse, to achieve optimum capacity utilisation generally within a few months of commencing operations and have acheived 75% capacity utilisation in 3-6 months of warehouse commisioning).

As per the cash flow statement , though the operating cash flow is good because of high capex outflows and ipo proceeds ,there is net NEGATIVE FREE CASH FLOWS.

One point to note is they have Deferred tax of 13 crores which significantly adds up on earnings( PBT of 14 crores + net tax credit 10 crores) under section 35 AD of income tax. I think the capital intensive nature gets partially offset by this tax rebate from the govt.

To sum up, Being initial days of coldchain logistics and capital intensive nature of business, the financials may not reveal the true potential of this business. Maybe once they attain a critical mass it may become a superstar in India growth story.

DISCLOSURE : I am a novice in stock analysis and I have got no roots in financial education. The above analysis is purely based on knowledge gained from open forum from fellow investors and I have all rights to be wrong in my analysis. The intention of this post to know the faults in my analysis which will help me in becoming a better investor. Also I thank Mr.Jatin Khemani of stalwart advisors for his blogpost on India’s Consolidation Wave.
At this juncture I dont have any position in the Company discussed. Am waiting for your comments. Thanks in Advance.

2 Likes

This is new logic for me. I appreciate

@hitesh2710

Sir, request you to provide your comments on Prima Plastics and Transpek.

-chets

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks for putting in the open your positions. Really appreciate your sincerity which helps others to get good insights.

Regarding Granules…

1. Mgmt has said that they are henceforth looking at filing ANDAs of Complex molecules with good business opportunity.
    Plus they have a good number in their ANDA pipeline.
    2.They are also selling 4 products of a US based company.
    3.They have taken 12.5% stake in US pharma.
    4.Mgmt has said 2018 onwards the real growth would be seen. Till 2018 it would be at least 20%.
  2. They are doing value migration towards FD and PFI from APIs. This should lead to substantial PE expansion.
  3. CRAMS business to break even this year.

Considering all these and the small base, I see Granules as a multi bagger in the years to come.

Keen to know and learn from you the reasons why you decided to exit from this multi bagger.

1 Like

Dear Hiteshbhai,

You have already mentioned that both Granules & Take as technofunda / opportunistic bets. That explains your buy/sell decision. However, as evident from the interest at respective threads, many of us at the forum view these stocks as long term growth stories.

Would like to know if you have a different view on both of these stocks pls.

Rgds.

@tijeykumar,

I own and like Piramal Enterprise Ltd and had bought up esp after going through a company presentation only. That provided me a lot of conviction about the company and Ajay Piramal’s plans for the company. Of course at that time there was no mention about splitting the businesses but I did think about the possibility myself as I felt all three businesses were different from each other.

Snowman logistics is one co I dont follow closely. I had a brief look at it earlier but was not excited too much by figures. Esp the return ratios and and asset turns which turned me off.

@gurjota, Regarding Take, one thing I did not like was management giving too many interviews on various media. (Lynch method:slight_smile:) Besides any company that makes acquisitions will suffer some or other acquisition related issues and I would like to see how the latest acquisition works for Take. Plus valuations at 17-18 times trailing were not too cheap though some might not consider it too expensive. I had a certain expectation from my buy decision and once that was met the sell decision was clear.

The buy decision on granules was also based on techno funda and once returns expectation was met the exit decision was easy. Plus in Granules there was the issue of promoter pledging. As mentioned by 12years in his post Granules can turn out to be a big winner but for me it would remain in my watchlist and I would watch its progress with keen interest.

@advait, Regarding Take and Granules being long term stories I agree they could be good stories going forward. Others should not be influenced by my buy/sell decisions (I have been proven false a no of times after buying/selling a company so the caveat remains) . I have my own reasons for investing in those companies which are outlined above and since I was writing about my buy/sell in recent past I had put up these details.

regards
hitesh.

18 Likes

@hitesh2710 as we are invested in HMVL , do you see current developments of 1. Paying 60 crore of brand transfer fee to group company 2. News of cresting a new company for content and then charging fee for content through this group company . And then seeing these 2 developments combined with company sitting on cash and not rewarding investors in any form as a means to divert cash for personal gains .I believe when someone purchased HMVL , his assumption is these intangible things are company asset and any additional expense to build these through subsidiary companies is a tight slap until the transaction is a no gain no loss transaction.what is your view and experience Hitesh jee ? I am not sure if this question is relevant and makes sense . If it does , then, will add to HMVL thread.

Really appreciate your efforts in replying to the queries.
It’s does help us a lot in enhancing our understanding.

1 Like

suru27,

My main theme in investing in HMVL is undervaluation as compared to peers inspite of reasonable growth.

The amount spent for transfer fee to group company worth 60 crores should be considered as investment in a co for getting a stake in that company. If the venture does well, its great otherwise an amount of 60 crores out of a total cash kitty worth 650 crores is not a big deal. (as far as I can make out from the concall notes put up on the HMVL thread, the amount is 42 crores but thats besides the point)

4 Likes

Hitesh Jee,
Sorry if i miscommunicated on 60 crore amount,this was for brand transfer from HT Media to HMVL. Please check below image extracted from Q3 FY16 concall transcript. In the lack of knowledge of exact amount of royalty being paid, how a common investor can be assured that this was a transparent transaction. The only justification provided is that the valuation is certified by big 4. I am just asking because I had never gotten into such details and how such things are interpreted.

My intent to invest was similar plus historical ability of cash generation by media companies (as per one of Pat Dorsey’s book, hopefully relevant today also), easy to understand business and less chances of short term disruption in vernacular content though i like more the triple play of JP in print, radio and digital though at relatively higher valuation and hence, currently invested in both.

Hello Hitesh,
What is your opinion about Alpa Labs. Are you familiar with their products? It looks like a turn around candidate.Would greatly appreciate if you could share your opinion on this.
Is there any micro cap pharma, that interests you?

Thanks in advance

Hitesh Sir,

Would like to know your opinion about Gokaldas Exports and Himatsingka Seide from textile space former having shown some good results implying turnaround and latter one going great guns with capacity expansion coming on stream by month end.

Which one should we consider for some investment out of the two sir ??

Hitesh sir,

Can you please clarify whether you mean NIIT Ltd or NIIT tech in your recent buys. Also can you explain the theme for buying the stock. NIIT Ltd doesnt seem to be doing well. However NIIT Tech seems to be doing good.

Regards,

Alphin

@kiran, I dont have any idea about alpa labs.

@ramesh patel, I track gokaldas exports and after a long time co seems to be reporting decent results. But in last qtr results I saw a big component of other income. Not sure whether its interest recd on cash and equivalents in balance sheet or something else. Re himatsingka I dont track it.

@alphin, I meant NIIT Ltd. It has 23% stake in NIIT Tech. Its own business is a sort of education business and that seems to be turning the corner according to latest results. Their presentation talks about their business transformation starting to bear fruits. If the co’s measures succeed then the swing in profitability can be big. And thats the bet.

2 Likes

Hitesh sir,

ABFRL and IDFC Bank seem to be very good bets for long term !! However, their bloated equity is a dampener and a bit turning of the investment decision. Your views please sir…