Great articles to read on the web

Druckenmiller’s latest interview.

Key Quotes :

I think it’s highly, highly probable that the bear market has a ways to run.

It’s not how often you are right or wrong. It’s how much you make when you are right, and how much you lose when you are wrong .

If you’re predicting a soft landing, it’s going against decades of history.

On the past few years of a bull run:

“That period was incredibly costly, because a lot of assets were purchased during that period that a lot of people moving out the risk curve will lose a lot of money on”

Advice for new investors:

“If you are not really passionate, if don’t love this stuff, go do something else. I have guys who have IQs 50, 60 points higher than me, who stink in my business…Learn all the assets categories and how they integrate”

9 Likes

Excellent interview…She is predicting lot of downside in next one year…
As per her, avoid 4 L’s

1. Loss making companies
  2. Leveraged companies - Financial as well as operating leverage (I really liked the idea of operating leverage going against companies who have added capacities if global demand takes a hit so careful of companies having huge fixed costs)
  3. Lofty Valuations (lots of companies in Indian market…:- :grinning:)
  4. Ludicrous managements
9 Likes

On lighter note…If thats the case then it must be a pretty normal interview…as all are predicting same thing now :slight_smile:

I think that is the very basic mantra all the way on day 1 of investing, nothing new in this interview IMO

Just one thing I can completely agree with the interview is that, its mentioned India is more of a stock picker’s market while US is more passive index focused.

6 Likes

Synthetic biology (synbio) – the next frontier?

4 Likes

Yes! Molecular Printer go brrrr…Now Beverage

3 Likes

Jim Simons founder of Renaissance Technologies, a quantitative hedge fund
Interesting interview

3 Likes

Another great interview by Aditya Khemka.

5 Likes
1 Like

Very insightful thread on the Zomato and Blinkit deal.

6 Likes

A brilliant interview with Aswath Damodaran from May 2019 - A Conversation with NYU Professor Aswath Damodaran Elm Partners

He talks about several interesting aspects

• Value investing vs index investing vs momentum based trading
  • What he thinks of factor based investing models
  • Why its much more difficult for Wall Street analysts to generate alpha today than before (What he says is good news for retail analysts, the likes of whom are present on Valuepickr)

Quoting a couple of interesting snippets from the interview below:

On why its more difficult to generate alpha today

I’ll give you a simple example: thirty-five years ago, if you were an investor, you had an advantage just being in New York City over being in Des Moines, Iowa. Why? Because the SEC offices were here, and if you wanted to look up a filing by a company, you could physically go to the SEC offices and check out that filing. You had a competitive advantage based on location. And if you worked at a major investment bank, you had access to a computer. Most people in the world did not – so if you had access to computing power and you had access to data, it gave you a leg up.

Now the investing world has become a lot flatter, especially in the US. I can’t think of too many competitive advantages that you would have at Goldman Sachs as an equity research analyst over some person sitting at their own computer. If you’re going to create value in this business now, you’ve got to think of what else you bring to the table. It can’t be that you have better data, it can’t be because you have a more powerful computer – it’s got to be something else, and that’s made investing a lot more difficult than it used to be.

On why factor based model outputs should be interpreted correctly

But you can’t have it both ways, and it becomes interesting when you get a paper that treads in that grey area. One such paper, for instance, is the AQR paper on the size factor: that even though the small cap premium has disappeared over much of the last 37 years, if you screen it for really bad companies, what they call junk, then small cap companies still have excess returns. Now we’re dancing on the head of a pin, because if I really treat it as a factor in the spirit of Fama-French, there’s extra risk associated with it so here’s what I should be doing: when I value a small company I should first assess whether it’s a high quality or low quality company. And then for the high-quality companies, I should use a higher cost of capital than in discounting the cash flows for low-quality companies. That’s a really tough intuitive sell. That if I get a bad company, I should use a lower required return – but this is what happens when we don’t draw the line, when we use those factors to build this premium into a cost-to-capital. This is why I’ve never used the small cap premium in 35 years of valuation practice – because I think the minute you do that, you’re opening the door to including things in your cost-of-capital that really should not be included in there.

How he comes up with expected return metrics for US markets

VH: You write annually about long-term expected returns of the market as a whole. Can you give us a brief description of how you come up with your long term expected return for say, the US equity market, or the global equity market?

AD: I do it on a monthly basis, and I think again this goes back to what I said earlier about mean reversion. In the past the way I would compute those future expected returns was to look backwards: look at the Ibbotson data to 1926, and look at what stocks made on average over T-bonds, and make a leap of faith: if that’s what I made over the last 75 years, that’s what I should expect to make over the next seventy-five.

But as I said, so much of what we know came from the US in the 20th century, but starting about 25 years ago my faith in using historical returns started to get shakier and shakier, so I said we’d be much better if I could get a forward-looking expected return for the market. So I stole from the bond market an idea that’s been around forever: that yield to maturity is basically an internal rate of return. You take the price of the bond today, you take future cash flows, you solve for what kind of expected return you’re going to make, given what you pay.

So at the start of every month I take the S&P 500 and I look at what people are collectively paying for stocks. I do have to make projections of expected cash flow, but that’s not difficult because these are, after all, the 500 largest market cap stocks. So I solve for an internal rate of return every month, and that becomes my expected return for stocks.

11 Likes

Will Smith writes in his biography that:

• Becoming famous is amazing.
  • Being famous is a mixed bag.
  • Losing any amount of fame is miserable.

Same with money. I think for a lot of people the process of becoming wealthier feels better than having wealth. think “that’s how dopamine works” is a good enough answer. You get a hit for anticipating more vs. what you have now.

Money buys happiness in the same way drugs bring pleasure: Incredible if done right, dangerous if used to mask a weakness, and disastrous when no amount is ever enough.

8 Likes

Web3 skeptic Nilay Patel quizzes Web3 Evangetlist Chris Dixon on his investment thesis and the sustainability of crypto trends.

Great conversation to read for anyone interested in understanding the potential of web3 and the direction its headed.

4 Likes

Good if someone wants to get knowledge about Why Big Banks are not eating into IIFL finance wrt gold Loans

8 Likes

Great to understand new age internet and company like Palantir and nvidia future and how internet is changing

2 Likes

Investing philosophy for retail investors, by Samir Arora. Excellent talk. (The actual video title is a bit misleading IMO)

https://youtu.be/Futo_Erm2Jo

6 Likes

Excellent article by Anand Sridharan of Nalanda Capital

7 Likes

Insights on second-level thinking and contrarian investment for superior returns. An article by Howard Marks of Oaktree Capital Management.
https://www.oaktreecapital.com/insights/memo/i-beg-to-differ

2 Likes

Prof. Aswath Damodaran revisits and gives his insights on Zomato’s valuation.

6 Likes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RBeTdGFjDlwBqWvt6nmLj52Qo-hJ1RMW/view

Hi guys I have always found this topic quite interesting. This is very useful if you credit cards. You will get to know as to why banks offer so many credit points on your transaction. The above link is about THE PAYMENT INDUSTARY ECOSYSTEM. Why I am posting this is because recently I read this article which beautifully explains how RUPAY is introducing MDR on transaction which they were not charging since their inception.

There is also a YouTube channel THINK SCHOOL(https://www.youtube.com/c/ThinkSchool/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid). Extremely informative and beautiful explanation on various topic. If you want to develop good understanding on various topic I would highly recommend this channel.

I have gone through the above article but always had a few questions relating to them.

1. I have understood that the banks who issue rupay cards and have good amount of transaction will be benefiting but I have not been able to quantify it. Lets say a bank has 100cr worth transaction from repay credit card then what will be their CUT.

2. Will this also benefit banks who facilitate UPI transactions for Rupay credit cards regardless of they issuing the credit card. This question is on the assumption that a bank can facilitate UPI transaction on rupay credit card without being the issuer of that credit card. So please do correct me on my assumption.

4 Likes

Political articles by politicians should be tsken with trucks of salt

6 Likes