Great articles to read on the web

What a simple yet brilliant insight!

Genuinely curious what is the bonafide of Ruchir Sharma. Anyone knows his performance. He has written a few books and frequently does oped’s. His recent Lok Sabha election call for which he claims to travel the length and breadth of the country, did not go right. He has been a vocal critic of this Government and economy for a long time. We should be careful of listening and getting biased by the so called experts/economists - they sound all sophisticated and logical with their arguments but ask them to run a portfolio and that’s a different ball-game altogether…

9 Likes

The resources are not simply about investing. It is about becoming a better human being. Learning from the success and failure of others is the fastest way to get smarter and wiser without a lot of pain.

8 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

One Article on M&A trends in Asia - Indian companies look at South East Asia for M&As

Another Article on Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code - Income Tax dues are operational debts under IBC

1 Like

Good interview during this ongoing sell off, gives a perspective to current market scenario.

6 Likes

Hi,
Vodafone idea has just lost too much both in terms of subscribers as well as profit. The share price has also fallen too much. As per latest TRAI report, Vodafone idea is now third in total number of active subscribers (from first after the merger). Also, Vodafone idea has still not started VOIP (at least in delhi region where I am currently living). They are just too far behind Airtel and Jio in terms of technology and soon in number of subscribers.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Companies which takes care of rural people by right products, distribution, affordability, reach, etc will grow faster than the companies focusing only urban market.
Rural is the biggest market in India the need of time is reach, distribution network, products which they want !

1 Like

Hi

I am a fan of Ed Thorp. And today he had shared something on twitter which prompted me to pull out an year old interview of his. I also would recommend to read his book “A Man for All Markets”.

Ed Thorp _Interview_2018.pdf (1.8 MB)

Rgds

5 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-04/michael-burry-explains-why-index-funds-are-like-subprime-cdos

1 Like

cement sector update

Munger and Buffett select managers who love what they do enough that financial motivation is only part of the reason they love the work they do. The best place to see this philosophy set out s in the Berkshire “Owner’s Manual”

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/owners.html

3 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Economics cycle research institute report about The Inflation Cycle and the Business Cycle
This good article they work on following frame work to find out the business cycle

there is one presentation which is also very useful

the detail of Greenspan testimony in Congress rate-hike cycle 1994-95 is below
https://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/hh/1997/february/testimony.htm

2 Likes

Practitioners’ Insights: Investing Wisdom from a Library of Mistakes (here) - by Kuntal Shah

A great (slow) weekend read.

My favorite slides -

• Multidisciplinary
  • Why Businesses Fail
  • Evaluating Businesses
  • Profit Margin & Asset Turnover Value Drivers
  • Company Life Cycle
  • What to Avoid
  • Success is a Process
  • Risk Related Frameworks
  • What’s Your Edge
  • Ten Attributes of Great Investors