Great articles to read on the web

Howard Marks - What’s Your Game Plan?

“The key to investment success isn’t hitting home runs; it’s avoiding strikeouts and inning-ending double plays.”

At Oaktree, on the other hand, we believe firmly that “if we avoid the losers, the winners will take care of themselves.”

Charley’s article described the perceptive analysis of tennis contained in “Extraordinary Tennis for the Ordinary Tennis Player” by Dr. Simon Ramo, the “R” in TRW. Ramo pointed out that professional tennis is a “winner’s game,” in which the match goes to the player who’s able to hit the most winners: fast-paced, well-placed shots that his opponent can’t return. But the tennis the rest of us play is a “loser’s game,” with the match going to the player who hits the fewest losers. The winner just keeps the ball in play until the loser hits it into the net or off the court. In other words, in amateur tennis, points aren’t won; they’re lost. I recognized in Ramo’s loss-avoidance strategy the version of tennis I try to play.

Charley took Ramo’s idea a step further, applying it to investments. His views on market efficiency and the high cost of trading led him to conclude that the pursuit of winners is unlikely to pay off. Instead, you should try to avoid hitting losers. I found this view of investing absolutely compelling. I can’t remember saying, “Eureka; that’s the approach for me,” but the developments over the last three decades certainly suggest his article was an important source of my inspiration.

4 Likes