Granules India Ltd

Hi,

Was reading up the “Intellectual Capital Report” of Granules India (suggested by Hit Bhai) and recent results of Granules. The report is fantastic and a must read. Wish all cos came up with such a report.

Kudos to Subash for this great find. The story going forward - capacity expansion, sales growth with goodgrowth in margins! The source of growth is strong and the visibility looks great.

Here are my initial observations:

1. Since Sep 2011 the sales growth is flat. This should change substantially with the new capacities going on stream from Q-3 in FDC and PFI segments.

2. The H-1 EPS grew from 2.79 in 2012 to 7.15 in 2013 - huge growth!!! But the issue I see is H-2 EPS. H-2 2012 EPS was 7.15 aided by forex gains. Even if the H-2 2013 EPS growth is 30% (due to new capacity and no forex gain) the full year EPS growth will be only 10%.

3. Huge contribution of 25% of EBITDA in Q-4 FY 12. What will be the forex impact in H-2 FY 12?

This looks like a great long term pick setting aside the forex issues which should be temporary in nature. But will muted annual EPS growth give better opportunities to enter?

Cheers

Vinod

I have been looking at granules since past two days and have gone through the AR, and the intellectual capital report both of which combined give a complete picture of the company and the path it intends to take. If the things projected by the management do happen in terms of sales growth, higher margins, and JV kicking in meaningfully from fy 15 granules looks a big winner from current levels also. (Missed looking at the stock when subash posted it here and paying a higher price for the same)

Putting down my write up which I usually do for most of my long term picks.

Granules India Ltd

Cmp 180 , market cap 360 crores

BUSINESS MODEL

The company is involved in manufacturing APIs (active pharma intermediates), PFI (pharmaceutical finished intermediates) and FDs (finished dosages).

Beginning with manufacturing of paracetamol API, the company then ventured into PFI and FD segments and added some more products to its portfolio like metformin used in diabetes, guiaphensin used in coughs, ibuprofen which is a pain killer. All these drugs are very commonly prescribed drugs and hugely popular among the doctor community as a mainstay to treat the diseases and symptoms for which they are useful.

The hallmark of the business model of Granules is that it operates in large volume off patent molecules which have established a strong presence in the symptoms/diseases in which they are effective and risk of obsolescence is low due to the track record and cost factor in favor of these molecules.

Granules accounts for 12% of global market for paracetamol, and enjoys second largest market share, 12% of global market for ibuprofen and is among the largest globally, more than 20% for guaifensin and among largest producers globally and 12% of global markets for metformin through its own product and consumption of third party metformin for FDs.

NEW DEVELOPMENTS:

The change that is taking place in the company is that company is now heading towards vertical integration and higher margin finished dosages are going to contribute a higher percentage to the revenues. Margins in the finished dosages are over 15% as compared to the 5% in APIs.

Revenue share from paracetamol is now around 50% in fy 12 as compared to 100% earlier due to the contribution from other products like metformin, guiaphensin and ibuprofen.

JV WITH OMNICHEM

Granules has entered into a 50:50 joint venture with Ajinomoto Omnichem which is a global CRAMS player. This will benefit the company in following ways

* Access to complex chemistry and technical knowhow to manufacture high value APIs

* Opportunity to manufacture FD for the JV.

* The JV expects to get regulatory approvals in FY 14 and start generating material revenues from fy 15.

EXPANSION:

Company has undertaken expansion of its FD facilities to 18 billion units which is 3 times its earlier capacity and PFI facility to 18000 tpa which is twice its earlier capacity. This enhanced capacity is likely to contribute to the top and bottom line from fy 13 onwards.

FINANCIALS

Equity of 20 crores with 2 crore shares of Rs 10 each outstanding.

Debt is around 200 crores. With market cap of 350 crores the enterprise value comes to 550 crores.

Promoter stake as on Sep 12 was 44% which has increased gradually from 40.7% in Sep 11 to 44.28% in June 12 to 44.51% in Sep 12. Out of this stake, 14% was pledged. The pledged part of promoter holding has been reducing gradually from 25.6% in Sep 11 to 21.88% in June 12 to 14% in Sep 12.

Last few years results:

Year

Sales

Op

Opm

NP

ttm

H1 fy 12

H1 fy 13

A KJMC report projects sales for fy 13 at 883 crores with net profit at 53 crores and EPS of 26.6 and for fy 14, sales at 1059 crores, with net profit at 68 crores and EPS at 34 per share.

The poor return ratios are likely to improve going forward due to improving margins and higher asset turns.

INVESTMENT THEME:

With higher contribution likely to come from the higher margin PFI and FD portfolios, the company is likely to grow its topline consistently. And with improved margins due to higher margins in the PFI and FD products, the net profits are likely to grow at an even higher pace.

With expanded capacity likely to be in place by end of FY 13, and JV with Omnichem likely to start contributing from FY 14 onwards, company seems to be well placed to grow strongly in the coming few years and that too with improving margins.

Debt at around 200 crores for a company in growth phase looks broadly okay.

I think one needs to look at the market cap of the company of close to 360 crores and opportunity size in front of the company because of expansions and change in business model and effects and benefits of JV. Opportunity for the company to grow is huge so I feel it looks a good long term story.

4 Likes

Hitesh Bhai,

Thank you for the detailed analysis - this one is a solid long term pick.

With H-1 profit at 14 Cr it is difficult to imagine that it will achieve 53 Cr (KJMC report) for the year unless they have factored a forex gain like in Q-4 FY 12. The new capacity is expected to go on stream by Dec end is what we heard last. So short term EPS growth for the year may not be that exciting and might be impacted by forex issue.

But this one will form part of my core portfolio as a long term investment. I am convinced regarding the value proposition offered by the com to its clients and the long term sustainability of higher margins going forward. Unlike API since FD and PFI strengths need higher technological expertise, time/patience and excellent relationships there seem to be reasonable moat here. The huge size of the world class capacity is also formidable.

Cheers

Vinod

Disc: Will invest soon :slight_smile:

Hi HIteshji,

What is your take on Dishman as a long term play in the bulk drug space ? Given the company has successfully turned around, reducing debt, SEZ land sell off to further reduce debt, Vitamin D capacity in the current scarcity scenario, outsourcing contracts from Pharma majors awarded to Carbogen Amics, high operating margins in the 22-23% range.

Given the promoter pedigree and the levels it used to trade during 2007-2009, I feel Dishman can go a long way from here too. Debt is the prime concern but it was mainly aimed at inorganic growth, and company is taking definitive steps in reducing debt.

Divis Lab is the market leader and looking at the premium valuation it trades at and given the historic P/E range where Dishman used to trade earlier, there seems to sufficient P/E upgrade scope from the current levels.

The Intellectual Capital Report of Granules India is here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:StpYd3H2TwAJ:www.granulesindia.com/documents/AR/Granules%20Intellectual%20Capital%20Report.pdf+intellectual+capital+report,+granules&hl=en&gl=in&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiJJbUoibsdeo-r8Y5UEnFqjExGcu4JqJIXN1kmNabUCfXvUKZLDKYBv6CiFtsRrvxwTdMxPSDn1J4kBHsQXNB1nwGi5J1A2IRxzjjP6VJH265YARrGaFz1UByw9OCLsrtxnCFG&sig=AHIEtbR9JpcWA5ZDKklHdsBszTew5JZB-A

Its a must read

Sorry, it did not copy properly,

Cannot attach it as file size is too big

My two cents since I hold Dishman and Granules since several months now. I booked partial profits in both and rest I intend to hold for long term.

In granules, the Annual report, intellectual report etc have been very well written but you do get a feeling that the promoter is trying too hard. I remember the stock jumped 10% (from 100/-) the day AR was published ! You’d almost expect a price target by the time you’re done with reading the annual report :wink: Promoter is pretty good with rattling off numbers, big plans etc but you may want to take it with a pinch of salt because of dubious previous history . I still think that the stock is under-researched and if it delivers the way management says it will, it has a very long way to go.

Dishman mgt is quite the opposite. You see him fumbling with numbers, giving out under or over guidance etc. Even the website is pretty outdated. This stock has more than adequate coverage but it seems nobody had a real idea of the expected numbers or believed in the turnaround. So when it was 40-50, you had targets of 60-70. Then it came to 60-70 and the targets came to around 90. When it came to 90-100 targets came to around 130. They’ve already done an eps of 8 in H1 ( 4.8+3.2) and several brokerages still have eps estimates of 11-12 for the full year . I’d think they should do an eps of 14-15 for the full year and the targets by the end of the year would be anywhere from 150-200. I’ve slowly lost faith in most of the ‘analyst’ community given the copy paste and outdated reports most analysts dish out in the garb of quarterly result updates. Dishman could reach the glory it once had far quicker if they could better promote the turnaround.

I think Jubilant Life is now in the space where dishamn was with high debt etc. Unlike the above, it also has management premium. It has a chance of a massive rerating if they pull out of the leverage. It is the biggest player in CRAMS space and deserves better valuations than dishman. It trades at 50% discount to divis ( they have better margins though) so the debt is priced in. I did buy jubilant life few months back but sold it recently because of impatience and a feeling that defensives are getting out of flavour so holding too many is not a good idea. I do intend to buy again if I get the opportunity.

Although I do wonder that though the Bhartias must be honest people, they dont do a splendid job of running their companies. I dont think the shareholders of jubilant life, jubilant ind (or ht media) would be a very happy lot. It doesnt take much brains to run a dominoes pizza franchise does it.

Hi Sood,

Thank you for bringing some balance in the discussion. Need more details on your points.

The capacity expansion seems to be happening and there is no reason to believe that there is any exaggeration in that front.

Do you have doubts regarding the margin expansion theme? Isn’t it logical that FD and PFI share going-up in the sale mix will increase the margins?

The other trigger is the JV which will anyway yield result in FY15 only. Ruling that out from the current scheme of things still makes it attractive.

Is Dishman and Jubilant operating in same segment of PFI and FD?

Cheers

Vinod

I think we should add JB Chemicals and pharmaceuticals to the discussion

The historical chart of shareholding shows some huge peaks as if some corporate bought and sold several times around the results. Any details available on this?

http://www.bseindia.com/stock-share-price/granules-india-ltd/granules-india/532482/

Nobody makes PFIs in the world and it is a word granules has coined ! I do not see any immediate problems with the growth plans of the company. The JV with Omnichem may take some more time than FY15 maybe so there may be a lull in the pace of growth at that time unless there are JVs , equity dilutions etc.

Here is an excerpt from a feb interview with MD.

Do you think touching the Rs 5,000-crore revenue mark by 2017 is possible, that too inorganically?

I see the opportunities that even take us beyond Rs 5,000 crore revenues. It is our conviction that we reach that revenue milestone with our existing business model. But, we also want to grow through JVs and partnerships. If there is good manufacturer of APIs we may invest there. We will be doing marketing JVs in the US and elsewhere.

A 500 cr company to become a 5000cr company in 5 years is a pretty ambitious target. If they pull this off, it should at least be a 10-15 bagger in 5 years which is not too bad.

But then, you cant help taking the 5000cr revenues with a pinch of salt !

Dishman expanded more than required and is now sitting with idle capacities. Granules says all their capacities are presold ! So one wonders how come no one else is paying any attention… is it too good to be true. Sorry… just being a sceptic here though it comprises 10% of my portfolio.

Hi All,

If one looks at the SHP of the company, between July 2012 and Sep 2012, one MrBasava Sankararao Kolli seems to have added/acquired 3.26L shares (1.62%).

Linkedin profile of this gentleman suggests, he is currently a consultant with DRL and has more than 25 yrs of pharma experience (again with DRL). The guy would surely know more about pharma co’s than most of us here.

May be this info would add little more credence to granules unfolding story.

Recently published research on jubilant life and crams sector by edelweiss http://www.edelresearch.com/rpt/showPdf.aspx?id=21560&reportname=/CRAMS_-_sector_update-Oct-12-EDEL.pdf

MrBasava profile Link: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/basava-sankara-rao-kolli/13/a41/771 of

yes, it is because of buying by this guy, buying by cfo and lots of buying by the promoter that the share ran up from 150 to 230. The promoter has bought above 200 also.

Link: http://www.edelresearch.com/rpt/showPdf.aspx?id=21560&reportname=/CRAMS_-_sector_update-Oct-12-EDEL.pdf

They have FY13E eps of 10.7 and FY14E of 14.9 for Dishman. They have already done 8 in H1. Hopefully they will retire 100 cr debt in H2 by selling off land as well. So the FY14E eps should be the FY13 eps.

Their target for jubilant is 290. I have reports several months back from houses such as nomura and citi with similar or even higher targets when the share was ruling around 160 for months. That was the rock bottom price. It still hovers around 220 and can be bought on 200 as well on a bad day. I guess the market does not like debt at all and the rupee depreciation has been a killer here. It’s the same story with Arshiya - the story is all very good and the targets very high but with all that debt it’s not going to go anywhere. So if one has enough patience and they manage to deleverage, one can get very lucky . Debt can create wockhardts or suzlons.

Ambareesh Balinga on Moneycontrol chat

vishaljain002: Sir, I have 2000 shares of Dishman Pharma at 187/-. Please advice regarding the target and timeframe. Thanks.

Ambareesh Baliga: That`s the target I am looking at - about 185/- I have been recommending this stock since 65/- - should have averaged out. Anyways buy some qty now to average your price to Rs 150/-. Holding period could be 4-6 months

discl :dishman comprises 10% of my portfolio. I had bought another 10% a month ago as a trading bet and recently sold half of it. I am expecting several brokerage upgrades after Q3 results (unless promoter goofs up - his middle name is rajnikant so anything can happen :wink: ) and may buy more on dips if any or else as another trading bet near that time.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-12-12/hyderabad/35772664_1_chemical-units-pcb-task-force

How much damage can this cause? Is it something to worry about?

Disc: I own shares in Granules.

Hiteshji,

Can you suggest ideal fresh entry ( technical) price of Granules?