Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) & Consumer Durables: Long-term Best Buys?

On the categories you mention, if we take sugar for example… we can see private labels in stores but even in this raw commodity, the innovation and hence the premium of price by a brand like “trust” is eye catching with their demerera variety and mineral, brown sugar etc. Emergence of powder jaggery is another innovation…a store cannot compete in all these innovations.

Regarding Tata sampann example, I feel it’s the other way round…the commoditized loose selling and cheap brands/private labels were already there since long…it is Tata sampann which has just emerged (I would purposely not say giving competition to the private labels as they are incomparable in quality and segment) and gave a glimpse of quality in this very important aspect of food. Thanks

6 Likes

Dabur launched range of sanitizers, surface cleaners, disinfectants spray and veggie-wash products.

Dabur has started working with Reliance Jio platform in order to tap the retail and kirana stores directly.

1 Like

consumer sector insights dated 30May2020

1 Like

Even seasoned investors have read too much into valuation of consumer names and made pre-mature exits

In your history of public when you manage public money which is one stock you think you sold very early? The regrets?

Rajeev Thakkar: I think the entire consumer space.

Give me an example.

Rajeev Thakkar: Nestle, Lever or Marico, all of these we sold off too early.

Read more at:

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Any body have some insight or thought about emami, dabur & emami both same sector & emami have good Ayurveda medicine portfolio too like dabur but why both valuation have big gap?

Promoter stake reduction, Heavy Pledge. There might be other reasons too which I am not aware of as not tracking.

2 Likes

Dabur has been real agile in creating a strong health & hygiene portfolio in a quick time.

6 Likes

Full Article :point_down:

8 Likes
1 Like

Emami has a 100 year young golden goose brand with it in terms of zandu ayurveda. Anyone closely following emami aware about recent and also last couple of years performance of zandu and focus of management on this OTC healthcare jewel? With recent focus on health, immunity and ayurveda, how is it performing? Thanks

1 Like

i think emami promoter not generating zandus brand name, even now days many old people who are regular using Ayurveda products trust on zandu and it’s familiar name in Ayurveda but emami promoter not doing best like dabur or even non listed player baidhnath, zandu have good packaging but on ground they can’t do much, promoter main focus on advertisement, Gujarat market when i familiar ther they can’t push even simple products like aasav, like in covid dabur see demand on tulsi arq, juice aamla or giloy ras they launch but zandu can’t , zandu just launched cenetizer. …

1 Like
1 Like
5 Likes

Quantitative Comparison of 5 FMCG companies. HUL/BRITTANIA/NESTLE/ITC/DABUR

2 Likes

43548-feb781fb599f4f07b13dfd27339b3ed1.pdf (1009.8 KB)

1 Like

FMCG sector has underperformed in last 12 months, seems to have reasonably de-rated. Could it be time to go overweight?

Source:Risk off in the age of risk on...

Any successful models for Indian FMCG companies to beat the private labels?
Recently looked at ITC eStore, product profile is wide and delivery is available at select locations. Just curious to know whether there are any success stories of national brands/fmcg equavalents anywhere else who have beaten private labels and garnered market share at a far faster pace than private labels by using direct online retail mode?