Electric Cars/Bus :: Call it a Disruption?

New JV with power drive of Coimbatore is seems to be a game changer for KECL.
JV Firm had the contract to supply 10,000 electrical vehicles EVs to TATA (It’s the supplier of TATA TIGOR) and its contribution also in the M&M EVs.
KECL website also indicating the same in its main page.

Let’s see how the new JV change the fortunes of KECL.

With thanks
Be and Make

1 Like

1 Like

Disruptions are coming and it will be fast. Even analyst and companies doesn’t want to recognize the facts and are always wrong at the speed of disruptions.

3 Likes

In my view, the article/PPT from Tony Sab is very well laid out.

When we say EV, it is not a technology change, but it is a disruption. Additionally, the disruption does not come from within the industry; on the contrary, it comes from outside the industry. Refer to Nokia/apple.

I think the Indian market is still assuming that EV is a far fetch idea. It may be due to the low adoption of India, but globally, China, in particular, it is growing at breakneck speed, and the speed is only accelerating. As per the above article, in the next 5-7 years, EV will become a mainstay. China is selling more EV than the whole world combined.

It is challenging to spot a winner in an industry which is undergoing massive technologies transformation. Also, India does not have any EV technology player, who has a good experience- except Jaquar, which has produced a high-end luxury car. However, as per my reading, it has not done well in the US.

1 Like

Yes…India is lagging behind in all advanced technology concepts.

There are a few good plays internationally including Tesla.

The EV ride stalling even before it starts

There is no doubt that urgent attention is needed for doing away from the use of fossil fuel to avoid clearly visible deep rooted impact on the livelihoods of people, particularly on future generations. One of the most feasible ways to start accomplishing that is to accelerate the transition towards sustainable transport.

The electric vehicle growth story in India so far is compelling.Policies are there in place but are plagued by reforms stagnation and have suffered subdued enthusiasm among masses despite of incentivisation on large scale.

As the forces of demographic transition run their course, the size of the Indian middle class is expanding rapidly particularly in urban areas. Consequently, Indian cities are staring at a huge rise in the demand for transportation services. This has necessitated a revamp of the
public transport system in the country. However, in view of the long-term perspective, keeping sustainability as prime objective, what is needed is an efficient public transport system in the country, with vehicles running on electricity or alternative fuels.

A major emphasis should thereby be laid on the adoption of more and more electric buses(as they make a major chunk of urban public transport in major Indian cities) by various state owned transport agencies. Agree with @ayushmit that with cutting edge technologies, these e-buses will provide comfort to the public and will reduce pollution too. Though being expensive to start with, these buses do make commuting efficient, convenient, comfortable and safe.

I have personally come across one such commuting experience in Pune a couple of months ago, wherein I was pleasantly surprised with the comfort level of the commuters with state of the art modern electric bus with no hike in fares as compared to traditional buses running on conventional fuel.Sharing the video for the same :

With this level of safety and comfort while commuting in a mass transit e-vehicle will eventually encourage people to opt for public transport on regular basis leading to the removal of demand side bottlenecks to cater further growth in e-mobility industry in India.

Also this will bring in more and more awareness (about e-vehicles) among broader masses, which will bring in the quintessential questions in their minds : What is causing the change? What needs to be changed and to what? How can the desired change be brought about? This would start with taking another look at current fossil fuel-powered mass transportation industry, and rekindle the subdued enthusiasm towards more sustainable electric vehicle industry .

4 Likes
1 Like

Carbon powered batteries do use lithium salts and require lithium salts in an aprotic organic solvent.

1 Like

A change that could possibly help with scale.

1 Like

Good read - https://qz.com/india/1766123/punes-e-bus-experiment-may-be-the-answer-to-india-transit-woes/

5 Likes
2 Likes

My blog on what EV industry can learn from Solar Industry

2 Likes

I dont agree. EV as a direction is a reality, its just a matter of time. Can EVs be equal in cost to ICEs? I think so, may not be immediately, but down the line 5-10 years from now. ICEs took 100 years to get better(in efficiency, and noise)!!
Now imagine you dont have a engine, transmission (small little motor with one single gear for all speeds/rpms , inverter/software will take care of it), no exhaust, no fuel tank, no propshaft for RWD, you can eliminate grill and intake, if you are smart enough , you will get rid of the hood, your cost of engine noise management is reduced. Life of car increases significantly as soon as ICEs are gotten rid of!
Having said that, Battery by itself is way more expensive as yet. But will change as the battery technology evolves.
Now, you can make space for 2 more passengers by getting rid of engine bay and placing highly efficient small motor under the rear seat (outside cabin), more efficient?
On comfort side no comparison to ICE right? No engine (noise , vibration, emission), instant torque, (you know how much more people pay for that torque and speed?) , nearly no maintenance , no gas needed. If govts do their jobs well , you can charge car at home at your convenience, no need to go to gas station every 4-5 days? I work for an EV startup, so my views may be biased, but every week my conviction on EVs is going up.

9 Likes

Thanks for your perspective

I am neither predicting a doomsday, nor betting on future of EVs. (as of now, too early to conclude on either ways, I think !!!)

I am just highlighting how things can go wrong for EV in India from hereon, given the experience of Solar Industry.

The way Solar industry panned out globally & in India was very different, same could be for EV as well, again, just a thought, I may be wrong.

Whole purpose of the blog was to highlight how can we incubate EV industry in India, in more orderly, efficient manner & by avoiding likely potholes

1 Like

Can anyone help me to understand why olectra is not performing even after employing so many electric busses, and also being electric bus leader in india market.

Hi Mahesh waiting for business model to emerge for converting ice cars into EV cars. appreciate your thoughts on it. I know battery is expensive today but for fun there will be people willing to do it

Present state of PM-2020.pdf (1.7 MB) This is a presentation that I shared at the PMAI International Conference a few days ago. The second half of the presentation deals with various aspects related to Electromobility in India.

Hope you will find it useful.

Best regards,

Aniket.

5 Likes

Here is a scoop on battery technology TESLA is ready to deploy to its model 3 that can make it cheaper to produce than equivalent gasoline models, read the full story here…

Did anyone know/hear about ASM technologies? They are into EV engineering services, manufacturing, delivery -can someone explain …

Tata Nexon EV is already making a buzz : People are uploading videos in youtube since past 2 weeks.