Cupid Ltd – Helping the world play safe!

I was going through veru pharma’s Annual reports recently. One of the data points they mention is number of units sale of female condom (FC2) by company. As per annual reports, major source of revenue for the company is sale of FC2 to public health sector (to governments and NGOs). The revenue from direct selling of FC2 to US consumers via prescription route or others is negligible. Also Veru pharma sells a wipe PREBOOST, whose revenue also is immaterial.

Assuming all the revenues come from FC2 sale, i divided total revenue of each year by number of units of FC2 sold. Price per unit has come down post 2010 and more or less looks same at around 0.5-0.6$. As per number of units sold, there has been some serious decline in recent 3-4 year. As per veru this is due to increased competition by CUPID, which is a good sign for CUPID. But another thing which might be happening is Female condom market itself is shrinking. In 2015, approx 6 Cr Units was sold, which came down to 3 Cr units in 2018. Did CUPID capture this market segment? Or market itself de-grew?

Does cupid publish the number of units of female and male condom sold per year?

6 Likes

There are many paid reports and some unpaid articles saying otherwise:

https://www.ptcommunity.com/wire/condom-market-expected-grow-impressive-cagr-more-9-during-2018-2024

Cupid doesn’t disclose number of condoms sold in their Annual Reports. You may have to dig through Concalls notes and such. But over the last few years, they have been operating at almost full capacity and the capacity has only expanded over the years. So, that’s a negative there as well.

The market is an oligopoly. Price reduction is not a very good tactic. So, it’s probably just the mix of orders F2C took in the past Vs now. If you look at the long term trend, it has been more or less flat (Even a little upward sloping), which is what we expect from an oligopoly.

1 Like

CUPID & VERU operate in a small pie of whole business as both are mainly dependent on tenders of various governments, Public Health organisations etc. Whole business is much bigger than these two entities are competing. The recent concall of Cupid has the current scenario of opportunities in FC segment. The link shows that the FC market is growing by 20% but Mr Garg opined about 9.5%.

The difference could be due to report talking about whole pie but cupid management might be concerned about their own limited area of business. As per cupid management the whole business of FC is 100 mn (in numbers) & cupid has 52mn target for this year. I understand that FDA regulatory approval process where FC was reclassified & required producers to obtain fresh approvals as per new classification might have impacted sales in particularly that region.

1 Like

Adding some interesting insight from Q3 Con call of veru.
They have been expecting tough competition in public health sector. Also the pricing pressure seems high?

But at the same time they were able to get their US retails sales up in a grand way. This would have been possible due to use of prescription and tele-medicine. The company reported FC2 sales growth in its prescription business, with net revenues up more than tenfold to $4.4 million from $400,000 in the prior year third quarter. Now retail segment contributes 42% of total revenue, which was 92% in last year.

Attaching veru’s management’s detailed explanation for this change in marketing approach.

6 Likes

Veru came up with nice numbers & it shows the market is still big for Cupid once they are successful in their US venture

• FC2 US prescription revenue increased more than five-fold to $14.1 million from $2.4 million;
  • FC2 public sector net revenues were $16.8 million, a 25% increase from $13.5 million

Above numbers (where Veru expects fierce competition from Cupid) are an indication of opportunity size. We must note that primarily Cupid competes with Veru in public sector, which has also grown by 25%

Detailed Veru results

6 Likes

hi all, i am attaching the 10k filing of veru they filed on 12 dec with SEC.
for all people who understand finance, its easy to understand that this company is under great financial stress and has royalty agreements with their financiers that are not beneficial for veru.
also their retail prescription business is doing phenomenally well and thats exactly where mr garg is trying to get to… they have also very clearly highlighted the risks they face from competition coming in because of usfda reducing the regulations around FC. they have also highlighted that they face serious competition in foreign markets from cupid.
cupid definitely has lower costs and as good a product as them.
the filing has some stark details as to where veru might be headed in the future.

i am sure that those who have read phil fisher, understand how scuttle bud works and understanding the competitor is a big aspect of that.

https://www.streetinsider.com/SEC+Filings/Form+10-K+VERU+INC.+For%3A+Sep+30/16238460.html

2 Likes

Veru has always talked about competition in their filings. Let me put it here easier reading for all of us. I am picking out the points which directly apply to Cupid.

Source: https://www.streetinsider.com/SEC+Filings/Form+10-K+VERU+INC.+For%3A+Sep+30/16238460.html#Item1A

It is possible that other female condoms may complete the WHO prequalification process. The female condom marketed by Hindustan Latex Limited, which is the Company’s former exclusive distributor in India, is substantially similar in design to FC2, except it is made of latex. FC2 has also been competing with other female condoms in markets that do not require either FDA market approval or WHO prequalification. Reflecting increased competition, Cupid received part of the last two South African tenders. Increasing competition in FC2’s markets has, and will likely continue to, put pressure on pricing for FC2 and may also adversely affect sales of FC2.

Veru also agrees with what Mr. Garg conveyed in the concall. There are 3 major competitors in this market: Veru, Cupid and Hindustan Latex Limited. PATH used to be a player too, but they lost their pre-qualification in 2019.

The FDA issued a final order reclassifying female condoms as Class II medical devices, which may result in increased competition for FC2 in the U.S. market.

On September 21, 2018, the FDA issued a final order reclassifying female condoms from Class III to Class II medical devices, renaming them “single-use internal condoms” and requiring new devices in this category to submit a 510(k) premarket notification and comply with various “special controls.” Special controls are a battery of product clinical testing which includes, but is not limited to, determining product effectiveness against pregnancy and against infection transmission, and product tolerability. While FC2 is the only currently available female condom approved for marketing by the FDA in the U.S., this reclassification by the FDA may reduce the barriers for other types of female condoms to enter the U.S. market. If other female condoms enter the U.S. market, we may face increased competition in the U.S., which may put downward pressure on pricing for FC2 and adversely affect sales of FC2 in the U.S.

We may experience intense competition.

Other parties have developed and marketed female condoms, although only two such products presently have WHO pre-clearance and none of these female condoms have been approved for market by the FDA. FDA market approval is required to sell female condoms in the U.S., and WHO pre-clearance is required to sell female condoms to U.N. agencies. The FDA’s recent reclassification of female condoms from Class III to Class II medical devices may reduce the barriers for other types of female condoms to enter the U.S. market. FC2 has also been competing with other female condoms in markets that do not require either FDA market approval or WHO prequalification. We have experienced increasing competition in the global public health sector, and competitors received part of the last three South African tenders and the latest Brazilian tender. Increasing competition in FC2’s markets has put pressure on pricing for FC2 and adversely affected sales of FC2, and some customers, particularly in the global public health sector, may prioritize price over other features where FC2 may have an advantage. It is also possible that other companies will develop a female condom, and such companies could have greater financial resources and customer contacts than us. In addition, other contraceptive methods may compete with FC2 for funding and attention in the global public health sector.

We may not be able to sustain price levels for sales of FC2 in the U.S. market.

Price levels for sales of FC2 in a developed country such as the U.S. are typically higher than for sales to less developed countries in the global public health sector. Over time, due to increased competition or other factors, we may experience price erosion in the U.S. market. Negative pressure on our price levels for U.S. sales may have a material adverse effect on our net revenues and gross margin in the U.S. market.

Finally, as rightly pointed out by @stal88, Veru’s financial position leaves a lot of be desired: VERU | Veru Inc. Annual Balance Sheet | MarketWatch

1. Negative Retained Earnings
  2. Negative or low OCF for the past 3 years
  3. Negative Earnings (Net Loss) for the past 3 years
  4. Negative Growth in Assets over the last 3 years, but a Stark increase in Liabilities (This is funded by increased Debt and Working Capital needs)
  5. 36% D/E (Which is not bad) compared to 0% 3 years back
  6. Dividends stopped after 2014-15 (Figures)
  7. MorningStar gives you an overview of Operating Performance over the last 5 years: https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnas/veru/performance

Notice how Veru’s already bad financials took a turn for the worse after 2015-16, which is exactly when Cupid entered the market with their pre-qualification.

There is no doubt in my mind that Cupid is going to take a lion’s share of the US market once they set up shop there (Unless there are regulatory interventions and such).

10 Likes

Nice to see comments by VERU in their report, which clearly indicate advantage Cupid has in this segment… a bit of aggressive marketing is needed by Cupid to snatch the market from other leader

Other parties have developed and marketed female condoms. None of these female condoms marketed or under development by other parties have secured FDA market approval. FDA market approval is required to sell female condoms in the U.S. USAID, a U.S. government funded agency, prefers to procure from the FDA product approval for market; however there can be exceptions. Outside of the U.S., the Company has experienced increasing competition and pricing pressures for FC2. In addition to FC2, three female condoms have successfully completed the WHO prequalification process and been cleared by UNFPA for purchase by U.N. agencies: the Cupid female condom (which was prequalified by WHO in July 2012 and cleared by UNFPA thereafter), the Velvet female condom marketed by Hindustan Latex Limited (which was prequalified by WHO and cleared by UNFPA in March 2016) and the female condom marketed by PATH (which was prequalified by WHO and cleared by UNFPA in March 2016). The PATH female condom lost its prequalification in 2019, which leaves only two other competitive female condoms with WHO prequalification in addition to FC2. It is possible that other female condoms may complete the WHO prequalification process. The female condom marketed by Hindustan Latex Limited, which is the Company’s former exclusive distributor in India, is substantially similar in design to FC2, except it is made of latex. FC2 has also been competing with other female condoms in markets that do not require either FDA market approval or WHO prequalification. Reflecting increased competition, Cupid received part of the last two South African tenders. Increasing competition in FC2’s markets has, and will likely continue to, put pressure on pricing for FC2 and may also adversely affect sales of FC2. Some customers, particularly in the global public health sector, prioritize price over other features where FC2 may have an advantage. The FDA’s reclassification of female condoms in 2018 from Class III medical devices to Class II medical devices may reduce the barriers for other types of female condoms to enter the U.S. market. If other female condoms enter the U.S. market, we may face increased competition in the U.S., which may put downward pressure on pricing for FC2 and adversely affect sales of FC2 in the U.S.

thanks @dineshssairam and @mrai74 for extracting the relevant bits… as i am not so good at that!
i think that there may be an outstretched chance that veru could go down. they need to constantly dilute equity and have been doing so because of the “free money” available with US private equity firms. Unless their cancer drugs get usfda clearance and then go to market and generate healthy cash flows… i dont see anything else that helps them keep afloat.
cupid on the other hand is sitting with 5-6 million usd cash and set to generate more along this year. I have no doubt in Mr gargs ability to deploy capital sensibly as i have never seen him chase topline or get into unprofitable ventures… he has sat on cash happily even as investors have questioned him time and again on his capital allocation policy.
@dineshssairam thanks for keeping the buy back talk going … i hope they do one soon and i would be happy if they did it at as low a price as possible(would make many ppl unhappy).

3 Likes

If early results are an indication, I am bullish on Q3 results. When I say bullish, I expect them to match Q2 performance, if they are not able to beat that.

Concall

Q3 Concall on 20 January 2020 at 4:00 PM

So Results within the next few days, conceivably.

result is on 18th January… I don’t know if they have ever released results in 18 days post end of quarter…

For Q2, they had to provide cash flow statement and balance sheet, which is not required for Q3. I think thats the reason they are able to release results early.

1 Like

It’s not earliest in comparison to Q2 but it’s kind of lifetime. Do you remember when they did publish results so early

Regardless of whether the results are published early or on Saturday or Monday or whether qoq or yoy P/L is meeting expectations or not, mature investors give valuation only when they ‘feel’ and ‘perceive’ that the company can consistently compound cash flows and profits without compromising on the RoE…for very long periods of time…currently the investors are not getting that comfort and possibly that’s why the company’s financial performance is not getting recognized in the market.

The current shareholding pattern shows that most investors are retail public.

Everyone knows that financial numbers matter and other things can’t replace them but there are certain sentimental indicators which help you gain (or sometime protect) the early bird advantage. We all know that markets react more on rumours & dust settles down with news appearing in black & white. Have you ever wondered why certain companies publish quarterly result in first or second week after quarter ends… on the other hand certain companies wait till 5 or 6 weeks post end of quarter to do the same activity … i.e. publish the result. On ground both set of companies have similar task in hand. Somewhere the delay is utilized by the company to play with numbers & they try to book some part of next quarter to showcase better quarterly numbers… although in long term it never helps… and that leads to suspicion of poor management & raises concerns over promoter integrity. I or anyone else can’t claim that above points are proven with each & every company but certainly it stands firm with some of them. Having said above, I don’t question integrity of Cupid Management but being a small company with limited resources, if they are able to publish results within 18 days… I am happy to appreciate the effort.

1 Like

Why people are so skeptical about Cupid?
Though Cupid is a small cap company, Cupid management is more transparent and honest than other small cap companies!
Did anyone question D-Mart (Avenue Super mart) result date even though they declared Q3 result on 11th Jan 2019?
As per my experience, Cupid Management (Mr. Gerg) is honest (until proved otherwise!) , listening investors feedback, taking action based on some good recommendations from investors and focusing on core business.

Disc - Invested (after actual verification of plant and meeting with workers at company. 100% gain from purchase price @110 INR and expecting 300 INR within few months!

Its not scepticism.

1. Its the lack of conviction and clarity in institutions that the company will compound revenue and cash flows for very long periods of time.
  2. Plus midcaps underperformance after IL & FS.
  3. The third point is succession planning.

The company needs to get in institutional investors and sell the story effectively to them so that they too compare Cupid with A1 companies like D-Mart and take positions. The move from microcap to small cap and then to midcap etc. will only make it a multibagger…

The bottomline for all this is not quarterly earnings…but a sentiment of long term compounding.

2 Likes

Cupid is an order based B2G company mostly. Unless they become big in B2C (Which is quite some ways away), there will never be an instance in which their Sales / Profits follow a smooth upward curve. It will be all over the place.

Does this make the company an unattractive investment to some? Probably. But does the company have to “attract” more institutional investors or try their best to showcase themselves as a consistent Revenue producer? I shouldn’t think so.

Warren Buffett once said “You get the shareholders you deserve.” And if I may say so myself (Based on the concalls), Mr. Garg has gotten some very good shareholders on his side.

2 Likes

As of now, there are meagre institutional investors. Rarely does a company’s market cap get that spike purely backed by individual investors.

We may have different opinions, but clearly without stronger hands, the game can’t be upped.

1 Like