A letter a day!

A letter a day !

Letter #58 2004

Key learnings:

1 Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful.

1. Berkshire Hathaway had investment in mid American which did variety of public utility services. One of its subsidiary had Zinc reserves but unfortunately the company stopped that project.

For many months, it appeared that commercially-viable recoveries were imminent. But in mining, just as in oil exploration, prospects have a way of “teasing” their developers, and every time one problem was solved, another popped up. In September, we threw in the towel.

Our failure here illustrates the importance of a guideline – stay with simple propositions – that we usually apply in investments as well as operations. If only one variable is key to a decision, and the variable has a 90% chance of going your way, the chance for a successful outcome is obviously 90%. But if ten independent variables need to break favorably for a successful result, and each has a 90% probability of success, the likelihood of having a winner is only 35%. In our zinc venture, we solved most of the problems. But one proved intractable, and that was one too many. Since a chain is no stronger than its weakest link, it makes sense to look for – if you’ll excuse an oxymoron – mono-linked chains.

1. Price competition in insurance industry is fierce. Because most of the insured do not care from whom they buy.

2. If an insurer is optimistic in its reserving, reported earnings will be overstated, and years may pass before true loss costs are revealed.

3. Three questions which are important to ask

1. Does the company have the right CEO?
  2. Is he/she overreaching in terms of compensation?
  3. Are proposed acquisitions more likely to create or destroy per-share value?

On such questions, the interests of the CEO may well differ from those of the shareholders. Directors, moreover, sometimes lack the knowledge or gumption to overrule the CEO. Therefore, it’s vital that large owners focus on these three questions and speak up when necessary.

4 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #59 2005

Key learnings:

1. The more uncertain the future of a business, the more possibility there is that the calculation of rations will be wildly off-base. (Hence it is always written “estimate”)

2. In the insurance industry, it is difficult to predict what amounts will be required to pay the claims the insurance company has inherited.

Medical malpractice insurance is a “long-tail” line, meaning that claims often take many years to settle. In addition, there are other losses that have occurred, but that we won’t even hear about for some time. One thing, though, we have learned – the hard way – after many years in the business: Surprises in insurance are far from symmetrical. You are lucky if you get one that is pleasant for every ten that go the other way.
Too often, however, insurers react to looming loss problems with optimism. They behave like the fellow in a switchblade fight who, after his opponent has taken a mighty swipe at his throat, exclaimed, “You never touched me.” His adversary’s reply: “Just wait until you try to shake your head.”

1. Closure of Gen Re derivative operations with a loss of $104 million.

This division was started keeping in mind the needs of insurance clients. Buffett writes on the same:

I dwell on our experience in derivatives each year for two reasons. One is personal and unpleasant. The hard fact is that I have cost you a lot of money by not moving immediately to close down Gen Re’s trading operation. Both Charlie and I knew at the time of the Gen Re purchase that it was a problem and told its management that we wanted to exit the business. It was my responsibility to make sure that happened. Rather than address the situation head on, however, I wasted several years while we attempted to sell the operation. That was a doomed endeavor because no realistic solution could have extricated us from the maze of liabilities that was going to exist for decades. Our obligations were particularly worrisome because their potential to explode could not be measured. Moreover, if severe trouble occurred, we knew it was likely to correlate with problems elsewhere in financial markets.
So I failed in my attempt to exit painlessly, and in the meantime, more trades were put on the books. Fault me for dithering. (Charlie calls it thumb-sucking.) When a problem exists, whether in personnel or in business operations, the time to act is now.
The second reason I regularly describe our problems in this area lies in the hope that our experiences may prove instructive for managers, auditors, and regulators. In a sense, we are a canary in this business coal mine and should sing a song of warning as we expire. The number and value of derivative contracts outstanding in the world continue to mushroom and is now a multiple of what existed in 1998, the last time that financial chaos erupted.

1. When the long-term competitive position improves as a result of unnoticeable actions, the phenomenon is known as “widening the moat.”

"We always, of course, hope to earn more money in the short term. But when short-term and long-term conflict, widening the moat must take precedence. If management makes bad decisions in order to hit short-term earnings targets, and consequently gets behind the eight-ball in terms of costs, customer satisfaction, or brand strength, no amount of subsequent brilliance will overcome the damage that has been inflicted. Take a look at the dilemmas of managers in the auto and airline industries today as they struggle with the huge problems handed to them by their predecessors. Charlie is fond of quoting Ben Franklin’s “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” But sometimes no amount of cure will overcome the mistakes of the past. "

1. Three reasons for which Berkshire will borrow debt:
  1. occasionally use repos as a part of certain short-term investing strategies that incorporate ownership of U.S. government (or agency) securities.

2. borrow money against portfolios of interest-bearing receivables whose risk characteristics the company understands.

3. At MidAmerican, there is a substantial debt, but it is that company’s obligation only. Though it will appear on its consolidated balance sheet, Berkshire does not guarantee it.

2 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter# 60 2006

Key learnings;

1. Insurance business completes 40 years.

Berkshire Hathaway first stepped into the insurance business in the year 1967 by acquiring National Indemnity. Insurance remains one of the core business operations of the company.

Buffett writes about his journey in the insurance business:

When Berkshire purchased Jack’s two insurers, they had “float” of $17 million. We’ve regularly offered a long explanation of float in earlier reports, which you can read on our website. Simply put, float is money we hold that is not ours but which we get to invest.

At the end of 2006, our float had grown to $50.9 billion, and we have since written a huge retroactive reinsurance contract with Equitas – which I will describe in the next section – that boosts float by another $7 billion. Much of the gain we’ve made have come through our acquisition of other insurers,but we’ve also had outstanding internal growth, particularly at Ajit Jain’s amazing reinsurance operation. Naturally, I had no notion in 1967 that our float would develop as it has. There’s much to be said for just putting one foot in front of the other every day

Don’t think, however, that we have lost our taste for risk. We remain prepared to lose $6 billion in a single event, if we have been paid appropriately for assuming that risk. We are not willing, though, to take on even very small exposures at prices that don’t reflect our evaluation of loss probabilities.Appropriate prices don’t guarantee profits in any given year, but inappropriate prices most certainly guarantee eventual losses. Rates have recently fallen because a flood of capital has entered the super-cat field. We have therefore sharply reduced our wind exposures. Our behavior here parallels that which we employ in financial markets: Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.

1. Berkshire has made an investment in Buffalo newspaper. With the progress of the internet, we all have witnessed the fall of the newspaper industry.

"Now, however, almost all newspaper owners realize that they are constantly losing ground in the battle for eyeballs. Simply put, if cable and satellite broadcasting, as well as the internet, had come along first, newspapers as we know them probably would never have existed. "

"Charlie and I love newspapers – we each read five a day – and believe that a free and energetic press is a key ingredient for maintaining a great democracy. We hope that some combination of print and online will ward off economic doomsday for newspapers, and we will work hard in Buffalo to develop a sustainable business model. I think we will be successful. But the days of lush profits from our newspaper are over. "

1. Recently there are a lot of events happening in the USA, in their banks especially. Many of the banks have declared bankruptcy, there are back-to-back FED rate hikes to curb the liquidity and there is also a possibility of the dollar weakening in the near future. Buffett has also discussed something on the situation USA in this letter. (Of course to not exactly relevant to today’s scenario)

"The U.S. can do a lot of this because we are an extraordinarily rich country that has behaved responsibly in the past. The world is therefore willing to accept our bonds, real estate, stocks, and businesses. And we have a vast store of these to hand over. These transfers will have consequences, however. Already the prediction I made last year about one fall-out from our spending binge has come true: The “investment income” account of our country –positive in every previous year since 1915 – turned negative in 2006. Foreigners now earn more on their U.S. investments than we do on our investments abroad. In effect, we’ve used up our bank account and turned to our credit card. And, like everyone who gets in hock, the U.S. will now experience “reverse compounding” as we pay ever-increasing amounts of interest on interest.

But our citizens will also be forced every year to ship a significant portion of their current production abroad merely to service the cost of our huge debtor position. It won’t be pleasant to work part of each day to pay for the over-consumption of your ancestors. I believe that at some point in the future U.S. workers and voters will find this annual “tribute” so onerous that there will be a severe political backlash. How that will play out in markets is impossible to predict – but to expect a “soft landing” seems like wishful thinking. "

1. Temperament is also important. Independent thinking, emotional stability, and a keen understanding of both human and institutional behavior is vital to long-term investment success.

2. Buffett has mentioned time and again in his letters that most of his holdings will be used for philanthropic purposes. This year he has made an arrangement with 5 charitable foundations to take care of his holdings and use it for the best purposes.

Those people favoring perpetual foundations argue that in the future there will most certainly be large and important societal problems that philanthropy will need to address. I agree. But there will then also be many super-rich individuals and families whose wealth will exceed that of today’s Americans and to whom philanthropic organizations can make their case for funding. These funders can then judge firsthand which operations have both the vitality and the focus to best address the major societal problems that then exist. In this way, a market test of ideas and effectiveness can be applied. Some organizations will deserve major support while others will have outlived their usefulness. Even if the people above ground make their decisions imperfectly, they should be able to allocate funds more rationally than a decedent six feet under will have ordained decades earlier. Wills, of course, can always be rewritten, but it’s very unlikely that my thinking will change in a material way.

1. In the end, Buffett discusses the journey of Walter Schloss, who just turned 90. His story is worth a read, I am sharing an excerpt from the same:

"Following a strategy that involved no real risk – defined as permanent loss of capital – Walter produced results over his 47 partnership years that dramatically surpassed those of the S&P 500. It’s particularly noteworthy that he built this record by investing in about 1,000 securities, mostly of a lackluster type. A few big winners did not account for his success. It’s safe to say that had millions of investment managers made trades by a) drawing stock names from a hat; b) purchasing these stocks in comparable amounts when Walter made a purchase; and then c) selling when Walter sold his pick, the luckiest of them would not have come close to equaling his record. There is simply no possibility that what Walter achieved over 47 years was due to chance. "

3 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #61 2007

Key learning’s :

1. A truly great business must have an enduring “moat” that protects excellent returns on invested capital. The dynamics of capitalism guarantee that competitors will repeatedly assault any business “castle” that is earning high returns. Therefore a formidable barrier such as a company’s being the low- cost producer (GEICO, Costco) or possessing a powerful world-wide brand (Coca-Cola, Gillette, American Express) is essential for sustained success.

2. If a business requires a superstar to produce good results, the business itself cannot be considered great.

“A medical partnership led by your area’s premier brain surgeon may enjoy outsized and growing earnings, but that tells little about its future. The partnership’s moat will go when the surgeon goes. You can count, though, on the moat of the Mayo Clinic to endure, even though you can’t name its CEO.”

1. Always look for long term competitive advantage in a stable industry . If it comes with a rapid growth , it’s a great. But even if it comes without any organic growth, such business can be rewarding.

2. The growing businesses have both working capital needs that increase in proportion to sales growth and significant requirements for fixed asset investments.
    A company that needs large increases in capital to engender its growth may well prove to be a satisfactory investment.

3. The worst sort of business is one that grows rapidly, requires significant capital to engender the growth, and then earns little or no money. Think airlines. Here a durable competitive advantage has proven elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers.

The airline industry’s demand for capital ever since that first flight has been insatiable. Investors have poured money into a bottomless pit, attracted by growth when they should have been repelled by it. And I, to my shame, participated in this foolishness when I had Berkshire buy U.S. Air preferred stock in 1989. As the ink was drying on our check, the company went into a tailspin, and before long our preferred dividend was no longer being paid. But we then got very lucky. In one of the recurrent, but always misguided, bursts of optimism for airlines, we were actually able to sell our shares in 1998 for a hefty gain. In the decade following our sale, the company went bankrupt. Twice”

1. Do not measure the progress of your investments by what their market prices do during any given year. Rather, evaluate their performance by the two methods.

1)The first test is improvement in earnings.
2) The second test, more subjective, is whether their “moats” – a metaphor for the superiorities they possess that make life difficult for their competitors – have widened during the year.

5 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #62 2008

Key learnings:

1. For the very first time in the year 2008, Berkshire reported a decrease in the per-share book value by 9.6%.

As the year progressed, a series of life-threatening problems within many of the world’s great financial institutions was unveiled. This led to a dysfunctional credit market that in important respects soon turned non-functional. The watchword throughout the country became the creed I saw on restaurant walls when I was young: “In God we trust; all others pay cash.”

By the fourth quarter, the credit crisis, coupled with tumbling home and stock prices, had produced a paralyzing fear that engulfed the country. A freefall in business activity ensued, accelerating at a pace that I have never before witnessed. The U.S. – and much of the world – became trapped in a vicious negative-feedback cycle. Fear led to business contraction, and that in turn led to even greater fear.

1. When investing, pessimism is your friend, euphoria the enemy.

2. Most of the acquisitions taking place are “merchandise”. Before the ink dries on the purchase contracts, the operators are contemplating “exit strategies.”

3. At the time of the financial crisis, Buffett has more purchases of fixed-income securities, rather than direct equity.

4. Buffett has time and again stated the drawbacks of derivates. He has mentioned the same again in this letter:

"Derivatives are dangerous. They have dramatically increased the leverage and risks in our financial system. They have made it almost impossible for investors to understand and analyze our largest commercial banks and investment banks. They allowed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to engage in massive misstatements of earnings for years. So indecipherable were Freddie and Fannie that their federal regulator, OFHEO, whose more than 100 employees had no job except the oversight of these two institutions, totally missed their cooking of the books. Indeed, recent events demonstrate that certain big-name CEOs (or former CEOs) at major financial institutions were simply incapable of managing a business with a huge, complex book of derivatives. Include Charlie and me in this hapless group: When Berkshire purchased General Re in 1998, we knew we could not get our minds around its book of 23,218 derivatives contracts, made with 884 counterparties (many of which we had never heard of). So we decided to close up shop. Though we were under no pressure and were operating in benign markets as we exited, it took us five years and more than $400 million in losses to largely complete the task. Upon leaving, our feelings about the business mirrored a line in a country song: “I liked you better before I got to know you so well.

1. A normal stock or bond trade is completed in a few days with one party getting its cash, the other its securities. Counterparty risk therefore quickly disappears, which means credit problems can’t accumulate. This rapid settlement process is key to maintaining the integrity of markets. ( This is the reason for exchanges to shorten the settlement period).
2 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #63 2009

Key learnings:

1. As the portfolio size increases, the performance advantage can shrink dramatically.

2. Charlie Munger has stated long me " All I want to know is where I’m going to die so I will never go there". Buffett has given a few examples as to where they apply this thought process of Charlie:

A) Avoid businesses whose futures you can’t evaluate, no matter how exciting their products may be.

“In the past, it required no brilliance for people to foresee the fabulous growth that awaited such industries as autos (in 1910), aircraft (in 1930) and television sets (in 1950). But the future then also included competitive dynamics that would decimate almost all of the companies entering those industries. Even the survivors tended to come away bleeding.”

B) Never become dependent on the kindness of strangers.

“When the financial system went into cardiac arrest in September 2008, Berkshire was a supplier of liquidity and capital to the system, not a supplicant. At the very peak of the crisis, we poured $15.5 billion into a business world that could otherwise look only to the federal government for help. Of that, $9 billion went to bolster capital at three highly-regarded and previously-secure American businesses that needed – without delay – our tangible vote of confidence. The remaining $6.5 billion satisfied our commitment to help fund the purchase of Wrigley, a deal that was completed without pause while, elsewhere, panic reigned.”

C) To allow the subsidiaries to operate on their own, without our supervising and monitoring them to any degree.

“Most of our managers, however, use the independence we grant them magnificently, rewarding our confidence by maintaining an owner-oriented attitude that is invaluable and too seldom found in huge organizations. We would rather suffer the visible costs of a few bad decisions than incur the many invisible costs that come from decisions made too slowly – or not at all – because of a stifling bureaucracy.”

D) Do not buy and sell based on media or analyst commentary.

“Last year we saw, in one instance, how sound-bite reporting can go wrong. Among the 12,830 words in the annual letter was this sentence: “We are certain, for example, that the economy will be in shambles throughout 2009 – and probably well beyond – but that conclusion does not tell us whether the market will rise or fall.” Many news organizations reported – indeed, blared – the first part of the sentence while making no mention whatsoever of its ending. I regard this as terrible journalism: Misinformed readers or viewers may well have thought that Charlie and I were forecasting bad things for the stock market, though we had not only in that sentence, but also elsewhere, made it clear we weren’t predicting the market at all. Any investors who were misled by the sensationalists paid a big price: The Dow closed the day of the letter at 7,063 and finished the year at 10,428.”

1. Starting a credit card business in Geico

Buffett thought of providing some additional products along with the credit cards to the loyal policyholders of GEICO and hence introduced its own credit card. However, the plan failed and they had to wind up the business.

For many years I had struggled to think of side products that we could offer our millions of loyal GEICO customers. Unfortunately, I finally succeeded, coming up with a brilliant insight that we should market our own credit card. I reasoned that GEICO policyholders were likely to be good credit risks and, assuming we offered an attractive card, would likely favor us with their business. We got business all right – but of the wrong type.Our pre-tax losses from credit-card operations came to about $6.3 million before I finally woke up. We then sold our $98 million portfolio of troubled receivables for 55¢ on the dollar, losing an additional $44 million.

1. The best businesses by far for owners continue to be those that have high returns on capital and that require little incremental investment to grow.

2. A climate of fear is the best friend of investors. Those who invest only when commentators are upbeat end up paying a heavy price for meaningless reassurance. In the end, what counts in investing is what you pay for a business – through the purchase of a small piece of it in the stock market – and what that business earns in the succeeding decade or two.

3. In evaluating a stock-for-stock offer, shareholders of the target company quite understandably focus on the market price of the acquirer’s shares that are to be given them. But they also expect the transaction to deliver them the intrinsic value of their own shares – the ones they are giving up. If shares of a prospective acquirer are selling below their intrinsic value, it’s impossible for that buyer to make a sensible deal in an all-stock deal. You simply can’t exchange an undervalued stock for a fully-valued one without hurting your shareholders.

“Imagine, if you will, Company A and Company B, of equal size and both with businesses intrinsically worth $100 per share. Both of their stocks, however, sell for $80 per share. The CEO of A, long on confidence and short on smarts, offers 11⁄4 shares of A for each share of B, correctly telling his directors that B is worth $100 per share. He will neglect to explain, though, that what he is giving will cost his shareholders $125 in intrinsic value. If the directors are mathematically challenged as well, and a deal is therefore completed, the shareholders of B will end up owning 55.6% of A & B’s combined assets and A’s shareholders will own 44.4%. Not everyone at A, it should be noted, is a loser from this nonsensical transaction. Its CEO now runs a company twice as large as his original domain, in a world where size tends to correlate with both prestige and compensation”

If an acquirer’s stock is overvalued, it’s a different story: Using it as a currency works to the acquirer’s advantage.

2 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #64 2010

Key learning:

1. Berkshire has always released more money when the economy as a whole was substantially weak.

“Last year – in the face of widespread pessimism about our economy – we demonstrated our enthusiasm for capital investment at Berkshire by spending $6 billion on property and equipment. Of this amount, $5.4 billion – or 90% of the total – was spent in the United States. Certainly our businesses will expand abroad in the future, but an overwhelming part of their future investments will be at home. In 2011, we will set a new record for capital spending – $8 billion – and spend all of the $2 billion increase in the United States.”

1. Berkshire’s intrinsic value cannot be precisely calculated, two of its three key pillars can be measured.

The first component of value is investments: stocks, bonds, and cash equivalents.

The second component of value is earnings that come from sources other than investments and insurance underwriting.

The third component is the efficacy with which retained earnings will be deployed in the future.

"This “what-will-they-do-with-the-money” factor must always be evaluated along with the
“what-do-we-have-now” calculation in order for us, or anybody, to arrive at a sensible estimate of a company’s intrinsic value. That’s because an outside investor stands by helplessly as management reinvests his share of the company’s earnings. If a CEO can be expected to do this job well, the reinvestment prospects add to the company’s current value; if the CEO’s talents or motives are suspect, today’s value must be discounted. The difference in outcome can be huge. A dollar of then-value in the hands of Sears Roebuck’s or Montgomery Ward’s CEOs in the late 1960s had a far different destiny than did a dollar entrusted to Sam Walton."

1. Trust in the people rather than the process.

“At Berkshire, managers can focus on running their businesses: They are not subjected to meetings at headquarters nor financing worries nor Wall Street harassment. They simply get a letter from me every two years (it’s reproduced on pages 104-105) and call me when they wish. And their wishes do differ: There are managers to whom I have not talked in the last year, while there is one with whom I talk almost daily. Our trust is in people rather than process. A “hire well, manage little” code suits both them and me”.

1. A sound insurance operation requires four disciplines:

(1) An understanding of all exposures that might cause a policy to incur losses;

(2) A conservative evaluation of the likelihood of any exposure actually causing a loss and the probable cost if it does;

(3) The setting of a premium that will deliver a profit, on average,after both prospective loss costs and operating expenses are covered;

(4) The willingness to walk away if the appropriate premium can’t be obtained.

1. Warren Buffett on Leverage:

“Unquestionably, some people have become very rich through the use of borrowed money. However, that’s also been a way to get very poor. When leverage works, it magnifies your gains. Your spouse thinks you’re clever, and your neighbors get envious. But leverage is addictive. Once having profited from its wonders, very few people retreat to more conservative practices. And as we all learned in third grade – and some relearned in 2008 – any series of positive numbers, however impressive the numbers may be, evaporates when multiplied by a single zero. History tells us that leverage all too often produces zeroes, even when it is employed by very smart people.”

1. Berkshire is known for keeping a lot of cash many times. This inspiration is taken from Ernest whose youngest son is Buffett’s Uncle Fred. Ernest never went to business school – he never in fact finished high school – but he understood the importance of liquidity as a condition for assured survival. Buffett shares a letter written by Ernest to Uncle Fred.

When he was about to die, he had $1000 which was his cash reserve and which he passed on to his grandchildren Fred and Cathrine. He advised them

“You might feel that this should be invested and bring you an income. Forget it, the mental satisfaction of having $1000 laid away where you can put your hands on it, is worth more than what interest it might bring, especially if you have the investment in something that you could not realize quickly.”

3 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #65 2011

Key learnings:

1. The primary job of a Board of Directors is to see that the right people are running the business and to be sure that the next generation of leaders is identified and ready to take over tomorrow.

2. When is it beneficial for a company to do buyback?

1)Company has ample funds to take care of the operational and liquidity needs of its business.

2)Its stock is selling at a material discount to the company’s intrinsic book value.

“We have witnessed many bouts of repurchasing that failed our second test. Sometimes, of course, infractions – even serious ones – are innocent; many CEOs never stop believing their stock is cheap. In other instances, a less benign conclusion seems warranted. It doesn’t suffice to say that repurchases are being made to offset the dilution from stock issuances or simply because a company has excess cash. Continuing shareholders are hurt unless shares are purchased below intrinsic value. The first law of capital allocation – whether the money is slated for acquisitions or share repurchases – is that what is smart at one price is dumb at another. (One CEO who always stresses the price/value factor in repurchase decisions is Jamie Dimon at J.P. Morgan; I recommend that you read his annual letter.)”

1. Purchase of Bank of America shares

Bank of America was purchased by Buffett in the year 2011 for the very first time and Berkshire Hathaway still holds them.

“The banking industry is back on its feet, and Wells Fargo is prospering. Its earnings are strong, its assets solid and its capital at record levels. At Bank of America, some huge mistakes were made by prior management. Brian Moynihan has made excellent progress in cleaning these up, though the completion of that process will take a number of years. Concurrently, he is nurturing a huge and attractive underlying business that will endure long after today’s problems are forgotten. Our warrants to buy 700 million Bank of America shares will likely be of great value before they expire”

4.Investing is forgoing consumption now in order to have ability to consume more at a later date.

"Investing is often described as the process of laying out money now in the expectation of receiving more money in the future. At Berkshire we take a more demanding approach, defining investing as the transfer to others of purchasing power now with the reasoned expectation of receiving more purchasing power – after taxes have been paid on nominal gains – in the future. "

5.The riskiness of an investment is not measured by beta but rather by the probability the reasoned probability of that investment causing its owner a loss of purchasing-power over his contemplated holding period. Assets can fluctuate greatly in price and not be risky as long as they are reasonably certain to deliver increased purchasing power over their holding period.
6. Most of these currency-based investments are thought of as “safe". In truth they are among the most dangerous of assets. Their beta may be zero, but their risk is huge.
(Money market instrument, bonds, mortgages)

“Over the past century these instruments have destroyed the purchasing power of investors in many countries, even as the holders continued to receive timely payments of interest and principal. This ugly result, moreover, will forever recur. Governments determine the ultimate value of money, and systemic forces will sometimes cause them to gravitate to policies that produce inflation. From time to time such policies spin out of control.”

3 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter # 66 2012

Key learnings:

1. In the last letter, Buffett has explained that American economy was facing troubles and still they continued to infuse capital into
    the economy. This is possible due to their capital allocation skills.

"There was a lot of hand-wringing last year among CEOs who cried “uncertainty” when faced with capital allocation decisions (despite many of their businesses having enjoyed record levels of both earnings and cash). At Berkshire, we didn’t share their fears, instead spending a record $9.8 billion on plant and equipment in 2012, about 88% of it in the United States. That’s 19% more than we spent in 2011, our previous high. Charlie and I love investing large sums in worthwhile projects, whatever the pundits are saying. We instead heed the words from Gary Allan’s new country song, “Every Storm Runs Out of Rain.” We will keep our foot to the floor and will almost certainly set still another record for capital expenditures
in 2013. Opportunities abound in America"

1. It is far better to buy a wonderful business at a fair price than to buy a fair business at a wonderful price.

“Despite the compelling logic of his position, I have sometimes reverted to my old habit of bargain-hunting, with results ranging from tolerable to terrible. Fortunately, my mistakes have usually occurred when I made smaller purchases. Our large acquisitions have generally worked out well and, in a few cases, more than well.”

3.Buffett on newspaper industry:

“Charlie and I believe that papers delivering comprehensive and reliable information to tightly bound communities and having a sensible Internet strategy will remain viable for a long time. We do not believe that success will come from cutting either the news content or frequency of publication. Indeed, skimpy news coverage will almost certainly lead to skimpy readership. And the less-than-daily publication that is now being tried in some large towns or cities – while it may improve profits in the short term – seems certain to diminish the papers relevance over time. Our goal is to keep our papers loaded with content of interest to our readers and to be paid appropriately by those who find us useful, whether the product they view is in their hands or on the Internet.”

1. A profitable company can allocate its earnings in various ways (which are not mutually exclusive). A company’s management should first examine reinvestment possibilities offered by its current business – projects to become more efficient, expand territorially, extend and improve product lines or to otherwise widen the economic moat separating the company from its competitors.

5.In repurchase decisions, price is all-important. Value is destroyed when purchases are made above intrinsic value.

3 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #67 2013

Key learnings:

1. In case of the insurance companies, floats ie. the premium received and the claims to be paid should be viewed as a floating fund and not as a liability.

“So how does our float affect intrinsic value? When Berkshire’s book value is calculated, the full amount of our float is deducted as a liability, just as if we had to pay it out tomorrow and could not replenish it. But to think of float as strictly a liability is incorrect; it should instead be viewed as a revolving fund. Daily, we pay old claims – some $17 billion to more than five million claimants in 2013 – and that reduces float. Just as surely, we each day write new business and thereby generate new claims that add to float. If our revolving float is both costless and long-enduring, which I believe it will be, the true value of this liability is dramatically less than the accounting liability.”

2.The investors should understand the disparate nature of intangible assets: Some truly deplete over time while others in no way lose value.

“With software, for example, amortization charges are very real expenses. Charges against other intangibles such as the amortization of customer relationships, however, arise through purchase-accounting rules and are clearly not real costs.”

1. Some thoughts about investing

1)You don’t need to be an expert in order to achieve satisfactory investment returns. But if you aren’t, you must recognize your limitations and follow a course certain to work reasonably well. Keep things simple and don’t swing for the fences. When promised quick profits, respond with a quick “no.”

2)Focus on the future productivity of the asset you are considering. If you don’t feel comfortable making a rough estimate of the asset’s future earnings, just forget it and move on. No one has the ability to evaluate every investment possibility. But omniscience isn’t necessary; you only need to understand the actions you undertake.

3)Focus on what your stock can produce and not about its daily valuations.

"Games are won by players who focus on the playing field – not by those
whose eyes are glued to the scoreboard. If you can enjoy Saturdays and Sundays without looking at stock prices, give it a try on weekdays."

4)Forming macro-opinions or listening to the macro or market predictions of others is a waste of time. Indeed, it is dangerous because it may blur your vision of the facts that are truly important.

3 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter#68 2014

Key learnings:

1.insurance is the sale of promises. The “customer” pays money now; the insurer promises to pay money in the future should certain unwanted events occur.
Sometimes, the promise will not be tested for decades. (Think of life insurance bought by people in their 20s.) Therefore, both the ability and willingness of the insurer to pay, even if economic chaos prevails when payment time arrives, is all-important.

1. Stock prices will always be far more volatile than cash-equivalent holdings. Over the long term, however, currency-denominated instruments are riskier investments far riskier investments than widely- diversified stock portfolios that are bought over time and that are owned in a manner invoking only token fees and commissions.

2. Owning equities for a day or a week or a year is far riskier (in both nominal and
    purchasing-power terms) than leaving funds in cash-equivalents.

“For the great majority of investors, however, who can – and should – invest with a multi-decade horizon, quotational declines are unimportant. Their focus should remain fixed on attaining significant gains in purchasing power over their investing lifetime. For them, a diversified equity portfolio, bought over time, will prove far less risky than dollar-based securities.”

1. When one part of a family wishes to sell while others wish to continue, a public offering often makes sense. But, when owners wish to cash out entirely, they usually consider one of two paths.

1)Sell it to a competitor who can consider it as a synergy.
2)Find out a buyer.

1. This is a golden anniversary letter where Berkshire Hathway has completed 50 years. At the end of the annual letter, there is a 22 page note on how the company started, where is it now and next 50 years of Berkshire. Since most of it is a summary apart from the next 50 years part, I have not added it in this letter. For those who want to know, it is a very interesting read.
4 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #69 2015

Key learnings:

1. Charlie and Buffett have made clear rule for their successors in order for Berkshire to progress:

“The managers who succeed Charlie and me will build Berkshire’s per-share intrinsic value by following our simple blueprint of: (1) constantly improving the basic earning power of our many subsidiaries; (2) further increasing their earnings through bolt-on acquisitions; (3) benefiting from the growth of our investees; (4) repurchasing Berkshire shares when they are available at a meaningful discount from intrinsic value; and (5) making an occasional large acquisition. Management will also try to maximize results for you by rarely, if ever, issuing Berkshire shares.”

2.Competitive dynamics almost guarantee that the insurance industry, despite the float income all its companies enjoy, will continue its dismal record of earning subnormal returns on tangible net worth as compared to other American businesses.

1. It was an election year in America and this letter consists of a lot of details about that.

2. In the annual meeting, there was an agenda on the climate change. Buffett has written on the same:

“This issue bears a similarity to Pascal’s Wager on the Existence of God. Pascal, it may be recalled, argued that if there were only a tiny probability that God truly existed, it made sense to behave as if He did because the rewards could be infinite whereas the lack of belief risked eternal misery. Likewise, if there is only a 1% chance the planet is heading toward a truly major disaster and delay means passing a point of no return, inaction now is foolhardy. Call this Noah’s Law: If an ark may be essential for survival, begin building it today, no matter how cloudless the skies appear.”

2 Likes

Conservatism is crucial during a bull market to mitigate the risk of permanent capital loss. Surprisingly, none of my personal portfolio allocations have exceeded 25% based on market value. Diversification and long-term perspective are my key learnings.

1 Like

@aashka_trivedi
Truly an amazing thread.
Coming to the end, request you to post annual reports of Nick Sleep, Guy Spier, and the like to keep the thread alive.
Appreciate your efforts.

1 Like

A letter a day!

Letter#70 2016

Key learnings:

1.rom the year 1990, Berkshire started acquiring ownerships in the company rather than making small investments. In this phase, it also committed some errors.

"I earlier described our gradual shift from a company obtaining most of its gains from investment activities to one that grows in value by owning businesses. Launching that transition, we took baby steps making small acquisitions whose impact on Berkshire’s profits was dwarfed by our gains from marketable.
securities. Despite that cautious approach, I made one particularly egregious error, acquiring Dexter Shoe for $434 million in 1993. Dexter’s value promptly went to zero. The story gets worse: I used stock for the purchase, giving the sellers 25,203 shares of Berkshire that at yearend 2016 were worth more than $6 billion."

2.Spend more time looking for systematic risks rather than unsystematic risks. (i.e the risk which are outside of your control)

"Many companies, of course, will fall behind, and some will fail. Winnowing of that sort is a product of market dynamism. Moreover, the years ahead will occasionally deliver major market declines – even panics –that will affect virtually all stocks. No one can tell you when these traumas will occur – not me, not Charlie, not economists, not the media. Meg McConnell of the New York Fed aptly described the reality of panics: “We spend a lot of time looking for systemic risk; in truth, however, it tends to find us.”

During such scary periods, you should never forget two things: First, widespread fear is your friend as an investor, because it serves up bargain purchases. Second, personal fear is your enemy. It will also be unwarranted. Investors who avoid high and unnecessary costs and simply sit for an extended period with a collection of large, conservatively- financed American businesses will almost certainly do well."

1. Share repurchases (buybacks)

From the viewpoint of the existing shareholders (i.e. shareholders who purchase shares only to participate in the buybacks), buybacks are mostly good. Though the day-to-day impact of these purchases is usually minuscule, it’s always better for a seller to have an additional buyer in the market.

From the viewpoint of the continuing shareholder (i.e who doesn’t participate in the buyback and continue to hold the shares), buybacks will make sense only if they are made at the price which is less than the intrinsic value.

For example : If there are three equal partners in a business worth Rs 3,000 and one is bought out by the partnership for Rs 900, each of the remaining partners realizes an immediate gain of Rs 50. If the exiting partner is paid Rs 1,100, however, the continuing partners each suffer a loss of Rs 50.

Therefore, whether buy backs will be advantageous for the continuing shareholders is totally price dependent.

"It is important to remember that there are two occasions in which repurchases should not take place, even if the company’s shares are underpriced. One is when a business both needs all its available money to protect or expand its own operations and is also uncomfortable adding further debt. Here, the internal need for funds should take priority. This exception assumes, of course, that the business has a decent future awaiting it after the needed expenditures are made.

The second exception, less common, materializes when a business acquisition (or some other investment opportunity) offers far greater value than do the undervalued shares of the potential repurchaser. Long ago, Berkshire itself often had to choose between these alternatives. At our present size, the issue is far less likely to arise."

4.Always look for the management that highlight more of the “unusual items” whether good or bad, than the usual items.

"Charlie and I want managements, in their commentary, to describe unusual items – good or bad – that affect the GAAP numbers. After all, the reason we look at these numbers of the past is to make estimates of the future. But a management that regularly attempts to wave away very real costs by highlighting “adjusted
per-share earnings” makes us nervous. That’s because bad behavior is contagious: CEOs who overtly look for ways to report high numbers tend to foster a culture in which subordinates strive to be “helpful” as well. Goals like that can lead, for example, to insurers underestimating their loss reserves, a practice that has destroyed many industry participants.

Charlie and I cringe when we hear analysts talk admiringly about managements who always “make the numbers.” In truth, business is too unpredictable for the numbers always to be met. Inevitably, surprises occur. When they do, a CEO whose focus is centered on Wall Street will be tempted to make up the numbers."

1. There are three connected realities that cause investing success to breed failure.

1)First, a good record quickly attracts a torrent of money.

2)Second, huge sums invariably act as an anchor on investment performance: What is easy with millions, struggles with billions.

3)Third, most managers will nevertheless seek new money because of their personal equation namely, the more funds they have under management, the more their fees.

"I wrote my limited partners: “I feel substantially greater size is more likely to harm future results than to help them. This might not be true for my own personal results, but it is likely to be true for your results. Therefore, I intend to admit no additional partners to BPL. I have notified Susie that if we have any more children, it is up to her to find some other partnership for them.”

The bottom line: When trillions of dollars are managed by Wall Streeters charging high fees, it will usually be the managers who reap outsized profits, not the clients. Both large and small investors should stick with low-cost index funds."

1 Like

A letter a day!

Letter #71 2017

Key learnings:

1.Here are four building blocks that add value to Berkshire:

(1) sizable stand-alone acquisitions.
(2) bolt-on acquisitions that fit with businesses they already own.
(3) internal sales growth and margin improvement at our many and varied businesses.
(4) investment earnings from our huge portfolio of stocks and bonds.

2.Berkshire’s criteria for acquiring new businesses:

1)Durable competitive strengths.
2) able and high-grade management.
3) good returns on the net tangible assets required to operate the business.
4) opportunities for internal growth at attractive returns.
5) sensible purchase price.

3.Buffett has always favored taking as much as less leverage as possible. He says:

“Our aversion to leverage has dampened our returns over the years. But Charlie and I sleep well. Both of us believe it is insane to risk what you have and need in order to obtain what you don’t need. We held this view 50 years ago when we each ran an investment partnership, funded by a few friends and relatives who trusted us. We also hold it today after a million or so “partners” have joined us at Berkshire.”

4.When major declines occur, however, they offer extraordinary opportunities to those who are not handicapped by debt.

“If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs . . .
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting . . .
If you can think – and not make thoughts your aim . . .
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you…
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it.”

5.Though markets are generally rational, they occasionally do crazy things.

“Seizing the opportunities then offered does not require great intelligence, a degree in economics or a familiarity with Wall Street jargon such as alpha and beta. What investors then need instead is an ability to both disregard mob fears or enthusiasms and to focus on a few simple fundamentals. A willingness to look unimaginative for a sustained period – or even to look foolish – is also essential.”

2 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #72 2018

Key learnings:

1.In the all the past letters, Buffett reported the change in book values, since past two years, he has stopped doing the same because of the following reasons:

“The fact is that the annual change in Berkshire’s book value – which makes its farewell appearance on page 2 – is a metric that has lost the relevance it once had. Three circumstances have made that so. First, Berkshire has gradually morphed from a company whose assets are concentrated in marketable stocks into one whose major value resides in operating businesses. Charlie and I expect that reshaping to continue in an irregular manner. Second, while our equity holdings are valued at market prices, accounting rules require our collection of operating companies to be included in book value at an amount far below their current value, a mismark that has grown in recent years. Third, it is likely that – over time – Berkshire will be a significant repurchaser of its shares, transactions that will take place at prices above book value but below our estimate of intrinsic value. The math of such purchases is simple: Each transaction makes per-share intrinsic value go up, while per-share book value goes down. That combination causes the book-value scorecard to become increasingly out of touch with economic reality.”

1. Focus on the Forest – Forget the Tree.

Investors obsess with evaluating all the business operations of the Berkshire Hathaway. Buffett here compares each of his business with trees. He says that some of the trees are weak and have lesser chances to survive for decade from here. While there are trees which will grow and flourish with time.

“Fortunately, it’s not necessary to evaluate each tree individually to make a rough estimate of Berkshire’s intrinsic business value. That’s because our forest contains five “groves” of major importance, each of which can be appraised, with reasonable accuracy, in its entirety. Four of those groves are differentiated clusters of businesses and financial assets that are easy to understand. The fifth – our huge and diverse insurance operation – delivers great value to Berkshire in a less obvious manner, one I will explain later in this letter.”

1. There are two traditional sources of funding which is debt and equity. Berkshire has an added advantage of using the insurance floats and also the deferred tax revenues.

"Beyond using debt and equity, Berkshire has benefitted in a major way from two less-common sources of corporate funding. The larger is the float I have described. So far, those funds, though they are recorded as a huge net liability on our balance sheet, have been of more utility to us than an equivalent amount of equity. That’s because they have usually been accompanied by underwriting earnings. In effect, we have been paid in most years for holding and using other people’s money. The final funding source – which again Berkshire possesses to an unusual degree – is deferred income taxes. These are liabilities that we will eventually pay but that are meanwhile interest-free. "

3 Likes

A letter a day!

Letter #73 2019

Key learnings:

1. Retained earnings

In 1924, Edgar Lawrence Smith, an obscure economist and financial advisor, wrote Common Stocks as Long term Investments, a slim book that changed the investment world. Buffett shares notes of one of the early reviewers of the book:

"For the crux of Smith’s insight, I will quote an early reviewer of his book, none other than John Maynard Keynes: “I have kept until last what is perhaps Mr. Smith’s most important, and is certainly his most novel, point. Well-managed industrial companies do not, as a rule, distribute to the shareholders the whole of their earned profits. In good years, if not in all years, they retain a part of their profits and put them back into the business.Thus there is an element of compound interest (Keynes’ italics) operating in favour of a sound industrial investment. Over a period of years, the real value of the property of a sound industrial is increasing at compound interest, quite apart from the dividends paid out to the shareholders.”

1. Buffett and Charlie have mentioned in this letter that they believe they have entered urgent zone as far as their age is concerned. They assured the shareholders that their company is prepared for their departure.

"The two of us base our optimism upon five factors. First, Berkshire’s assets are deployed in an extraordinary variety of wholly or partly-owned businesses that, averaged out, earn attractive returns on the capital they use. Second, Berkshire’s positioning of its “controlled” businesses within a single entity endows it with some important and enduring economic advantages. Third, Berkshire’s financial affairs will unfailingly be managed in a manner allowing the company to withstand external shocks of an extreme nature. Fourth, we possess skilled and devoted top managers for whom running Berkshire is far more than simply having a high-paying and/or prestigious job. Finally, Berkshire’s directors – your guardians – are constantly focused on both the welfare of owners and the nurturing of a culture that
is rare among giant corporations. (The value of this culture is explored in Margin of Trust, a new book by Larry Cunningham and Stephanie Cuba that will be available at our annual meeting."

5 Likes

You are doing a very good job. Just one suggestion: Is it possible to distill learnings of each letter in contemporary Indian context with some examples of Indian companies , past or current, so to understand the practical implementation of such learnings in Indian Context?

2 Likes

Retained earnings is at the heart of growth investing, add dividend growth also and u have “sonay pay suhaga” situ