ValuePickr- Mumbai

Sorry, the forum is not actively tracked. Please message any of the admins mentioned in one of the earlier threads above.

Is the date finalized for this month? I registered myself 10 days ago. But I have not received any confirmation details yet. Please help me with this. Thanks in advance

Request sent to add in Google group.

Hi,

I would be attending tomorrow/13th Nov meet at Andheri. Some earlier msg mentions some pre-read and content would be revised.
Seems I missed the mail sent. Could you pls resend that mail?

Thanks.

Thanks Anandh… I really enjoyed yesterday’s session. Let’s keep the momentum going.

Dear All,
Please do not put your contact details on the forum. You can sign up for event intimations on
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!members/valueinvestormumbai

Dear Valuepickrs,

Below are the notes from Valuepickr Mumbai session on 13th November 2016

Many thanks for Dhiraj bhai (Dhiraj Dave) for presenting “Reading between the lines” (what to read in an annual report of any company that you are currently looking forward to invest)

I have made a brief summary, i may have missed some points, please feel free to add

1. Check the change in name of the company over the period of last 10-15-20 years. Rogue promoters will typically have a trend similar to below
    Early 90 - NBFC
    Late 90 - IT Company
    Early 2000 - Infra
    2010 - Healthcare company
    Above is a trend of a promoter who is just trying to ride the wave and is not into serious business
  2. Has the Company issued FCCB in last few years? If Yes, what have been the proceeds used for? Capital Expenditure or acquisition of a foreign company at a high valuation? The later is a sign of a cunning promoter wanting to siphon money off. 90% companies would have acquired a foreign company at obscene valuations where goodwill is more than 30-40% of the networth. Funding a bad company acquisition that too on debt is a poor idea, he could have used equity to obtain capital
  3. When you see rising share prices and rising profits, you would like to know, whats really happening? Nowadays companies dont disclose the volume and revenue growth both at same time. Thus one finds it difficult to check the company’s capacity utilization and scalability. One proxy to that is increase in power consumption. Any good mfg. company would see a sequential rise in power consumption. For pharma companies, one can see sequential rise in R&D expenses over a period of time
  4. Please check for SEC filing details of a company that has presence in USA. Companies that usually dont disclose too many details in their Indian filings, do so in SEC filings.
  5. For banks, check what is the size of their deposits and how many of their customers make up their total deposits ?
  6. It is worthwhile checking the number of pending legal cases against any company; use sources like legalpundits.com. Any company into serious operations would naturally have some active legal cases. However that gives you an idea that the company is actually doing that business and not faking facts
  7. Balance sheet - Fixed Assets
    Look for how much of gross block is made up by Plant & Machinery. In any mfg. company, plant & machinery would constitute about 50-60% or even more. If this num is seriously low, you have a reason to query. Check both consolidated & standalone nos. to verify these facts
  8. Also check related party transactions for that company to whether any loss making companies are being acquired & run by using the profits from this company
  9. Check whether the brand/trademark is owned by the company or its promoters. If it is owned by promoters, its a red flag for you, because in such cases, the promoters will keep drawing annual royalty from the company’s profits
  10. Check whether the company is empanelled or blacklisted in some of its reputed customer panels ? For e.g. if its an EPC company, then is it empanelled or blacklisted by reputed customers like ONGC ?
  11. Check whether the company has been making increasing investments into loss making subsidiary; thats a red flag and analysis of standalone and consolidated nos will make this clear
  12. Balance sheet - Current Assets
    Check for Loans and Advances recoverable in Cash & Kind - these are indeed doubtful practices and if used frequently must give rise to doubt
  13. Balance Sheet - Capital
    If preference capital or Share application money remains on the books for many years in succession, this is a red flag. PReference share holders receive priority in dividend distribution
  14. Balance Sheet - Reserves & Surplus
    If the reserves and surplus are being used for one time merger of a fully owed subsidiary after acquiring it from outside must give rise to questions. Especially so, if the purchase has been capitalized in the consolidated balance sheet
  15. Balance Sheet - Debts
    Increase in no. of bankers and presence of more than 12-14 bankers is a matter of concern
  16. Entry of a state finance corporation/cooperative bank allowing for exit of a reputed nationalised bank or foreign bank is certainly not a good sign. Especially so if the company has been in the business for long time
  17. Check for break-up of working capital as a percentage of Sales, if it is about 25% of Sales approx. its OK, but if it is considerably higher, you need to worry
  18. Check for security offered against loans, has promoter pledged any shares? Or he has offered some special / personal guarantee ? HAs auditor made this a part of their report?
  19. Check for interest accrued & due in current liabilities - IDeally banks should charge monthly interest and thus the interest accrued and due should be a small number as compared to revenue
  20. Ideally Revenue should be Nett of sales and trade discounts, if trade discounts have been treated separately, you have to be cautious
  21. IF for a manufacturing company Value of traded goods sold is higher than manufactured goods sold, you need to check in details, what exaclty is the company’s business model?
  22. Check for provision for tax, check for provision for doubtful debt, this shouldnt be more than 1% of overall debt
  23. Check for provision for investment
  24. Check for extra-ordinary income, especially those resulting from insurance claims. Many fraudulent companies will claim insurance from typical causes like fire to accounting office, fire to R&D building, virus attack on accounting software etc.
  25. If audit fees have grown significantly over recent past then thats a reason to worry. Also if there has been a frequent change in auditors earlier than 3-5 years, thats another reason to worry

These the the bytes that I could capture from the meeting, I may have made some mistakes in my notes. Please feel free in correcting me wherever you feel I need to be. I am not from accounting background and thus I am open for corrections.

27 Likes

@ameydesai @andy161161

Thanks amey for the summary, will u guys also please share the presentations!

**Nov16 Meeting Report **
The Mumbai value investors meet saw its 3rd edition on 13 Nov 2016(Sunday), this time at Andheri(E) in a coworking space. People took advantage of the sofas and different settings, while still focusing
on the slides. There was a turnout of 55 people this time.

The presentations started at 2:30, with Dhiraj Dave @dd1474 presenting ‘Reading between the lines’. Dhiraj leveraged his rich credit experience(from origination to resolution) to cite examples from memory about audited balance sheets with arithmetic errors,
BIFR companies facing fire/accounting software corruption. He stressed the need to constantly innovate the metric you track, and ensure you don’t look at one metric in isolation. Otherwise, like how bacteria develop resistance with the same antibiotic, frausters manage metrics by reclassifying cashflows, advances etc. Qualitative metrics(empanelment, financial year extension, source of funds
for loans against securities, preference shares history) and quantitative(comparing raw material mix to reported realizations) saw its use. The session concluded with people seeking more. **Special Thanks to him for taking pains to redo the presentation for a public audience **

The 2nd presentation by Jatinder Agarwal @jatinderagarwal was the capstone session on insurance valuation. Jatinder presented a sample valuation of insurance companies, backing it up with actual FY15/16 numbers of ICICI
Prudential, and an industry comparison sheet. From an investor’s perspective, it was apparent that companies with the least commission and operating costs, would be best placed to yield better returns to shareholders and policyholders. The benefits of scale were also apparent, with larger companies usually more profitable.

The 3rd session by Veer Bhartiya @veerbhartiya93 saw an incisive analysis on Balaji Amines. While the stock has ramped up 3x in the last few months, further room for appreciation was seen. While there was some differences of opinion on whether the business is commodity or specialty, wisdom of further capacity investments by price taker in a market at risk by Chinese imports(eg Ammonia price/kg in India Rs 28 versus 6/tonne abroad) and on whether the hotel business is ‘diworsification’ or ‘throwing good money after bad’, the presentor’s mosaic approach of qualitative and quantitative lens, besides novel frameworks on cost of capital, empathy, management quality, catalysts was appreciated. Thanks to Rohit Balkrishnan @rohitbalakrish_ for adding value with the several questions.

The 4th session by Shekhar Sukhlani @sukhlani was about understanding sugar as a commodity, the present stage in the cycle, and an overview of listed Indian companies in the space. Sugar being a regulated agri commodity (sensitive at all political levels-state, national or international), understanding of political factors(draught situation reducing acreage in Maharashtra, elections affecting SAP level in UP) is critical. As someone said, ‘Sugarcane price is controlled but market sets the price of sugar’. The level
of integration with the global market having increased, Indian markets now increasingly track global sugar prices. From a valuation standpoint, it is extremely difficult to forecast industry level production which equals AcreageYieldRecovery Rate-all of which are hard to track. Hence, going by the
past records and sticking with players having clean balance sheets and who have ridden multiple market cycles in the past, would be good. This is not a conventional ‘investing’ topic, but this gave new perspectives to participants. Thanks to Samar Shrivastava @sansud and Yash Suba @ysubha for their supplementing the presentation, and making up in part for Prasad Shete’s absence.

Thanks also to @raahill and @kaustubhkale for taking pains to review the presentations and give their feedback, and also to @ameydesai for his detailed note above on Dhiraj’s PPT

Please note by downloading the below PPTs, you acknowledge this is only for private academic study and not intended as a report under the SEBI regulations.
A perspective on Sugar-final for ppt.pdf (1.1 MB)
BAL_10.28.pdf (898.4 KB)
November 2016 Reading between the lines by Dhiraj Dave Version 1.pdf (1011.5 KB)
Insurance - Oct 2016.pdf (1.4 MB)

7 Likes

Those interesting in receiving notifications for the next event please sign up on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/valueinvestormumbai. Those seeking to join the Whatsapp group please message @viv_vjti @hhhkaustubh @narender In the interest of privacy, I am NOT posting their mobile numbers

1 Like

Hello, I would like to attend these meetings, please keep me updated about these meetings and add me in this group.

Regards

The 4th monthly meeting took place at KJ Somaiya Polytechnic, VIdyavihar. The presentations followed the theme of 2 stock specific, 1 sector and 1 investing philosophy. The first meeting held on a Saturday, saw a turnout of ~45(versus registrations of 55). The presentations

1. Justdial stock presentations by Anandh Sundar @andy161161 which explored the recent price dip, promise vs performance, global comparables, and probability weighted scenarios. The audience weighted in with comments on demonetization impact on clients(SMEs), disruption worst case scenario, H1’17 performance dip, scuttlebutt on spam calls post inquiry, and whether bear case was pessimistic enough considering dramatic website rank fall. Thanks to @gaurav_sun238 for questions and comments.
  2. The presentation on Shemaroo by Girish Singhi @SinghiGirish explored one of the most actively tracked stocks and its business model, risks and valuation. there was active participation from the members who gave inputs on its business model pivot, M&E industry dynamics in India, economics and interplay of cable/D2H vs online sales, and debate on whether negative FCF truly reflected economic earnings, impact of 3rd generation and extent of value creation. Thanks to @dd1474 for weighing in with his comments
  3. Yogesh Sane @Yogesh_s presented on popular demand, an overview of his post on Indian Banking Industry - PSU and Private This included an innovative layering of ratio analysis-presenting 3yrs of ratios for banks sorted by assets on a bar graph-it helped bust many myths for me about big bank vs small banks. Some interesting points included impact of cost of funds on business model choice(hint, smaller is better), correlation of operating cost to NIM, cumulative effect of provisioning, PSU vs private sector and agency effect therein, behaviour impact of implicit guarantee, why banks account for high share of index in emerging economies, and aligning ROE expectations for this regulated sector. He interposed comparisons of banks with other FI players(MFIs, NBFCs, HFCs).
  4. Prashant Vaishampayen @prashant presented on his experience of being a full time investor since 2010. The presentation despite being the last one, kept people engaged and appreciative of the experience sharing which did not skim over practical aspects like trade execution, family buy in, handling boredom etc.
    Life of full time investor.pdf (215.9 KB)
    Just Dial-An analysis.pdf (1.3 MB)
    Shemaroo PPT to be uploaded post some changes

As usual, thanks to the organizers including yours truly, @kaustubhkale and @raahill for presentations vetting, @Yogesh_s for ideas and suggestions and to @sekhar for organizing the venue+logistics.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR NUMBERS AND EMAILS IDs IN THIS THREAD. INSTEAD, read this ValuePickr- Mumbai - #157 by andy161161

4 Likes

Thanks guys, you are doing great

Regards

Please scroll above and follow instructions in the post and seek addition to the groups.

To Mumbai whatsapp grp,
whatever I said abt Prof. Mankekar was all untrue.
Pls post on what’s app group. Since I didn’t quote Prof. Mankekar.

I don’t know what u all have said or posted. whatever I have said abt Prof. Mankekar’s views is not the truth. Since I have not met him. Those were biased views of my friends who have been in the markets.
I hope u can post this on the grp. And clear my conscience.

Let alone having lunch with him I have never seen him or met him

The things I have mentioned earlier in this group were biased and were mine alone. Anything I mentioned relating any stocks or economy in general were mine and had nothing to do with any body. I wanted people to believe me. And I’m realising the harm I’ve caused hence want to come out clean. I apologise for my actions. Thank you.

Hi,

Could you please add me to this group

Regards
Shashank

Limited seats open for the Jan 22nd(Sunday) meet. Those interested in attending but if seats are full can unicast for addition to the waitlist
https://www.instamojo.com/andy161161/value-investors-monthly-meet-somaiya-college/?ref=store

I have sent messages to the members specified but have not been added to the whats app group. Please let us know how to register. Thanks