The Glass Ceiling

Some women are out-earning men, but increasing those earnings returns through investing — not so much.
Many of these women take a back seat and turn investing over to their husbands or a financial adviser.
But women can be excellent investors, both professionally and personally.

One book worth reading here is “The One Minute Millionaire: The Enlightened Way to Wealth”-
by Mark Victor Hansen & Robert G. Allen

What are your thoughts on this topic…

1 Like

Hello Ann,

Women certainly are capable of being excellent investors. No doubt about that.

Although investment in stocks is particularly misunderstood in our country, equally by both genders.

I believe, as the awareness spreads, we will be witnessing more women investors in the stock markets.

2 Likes

Since I’m asked to edit, i’m removing my comments

3 Likes

Your thoughts are appreciable Punit.

What you have mentioned is the answer to the problem we discuss. The problem is that we live in a patriarchal society. Our mindset is such where men are/were considered superior, quite biasedly I shall add. Hence, in order to see whether women are getting similar chances/benefits/progress as men, we compare women with men.

I totally agree with you though. The best way to remove gender bias is not factoring in the gender of a person at all.

I’d like to quote, “A truly equal world would be one where women ran half our countries and companies and men ran half our homes.”
― Sheryl Sandberg, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead

Since I’m asked to edit, i’m removing my comments

1 Like

@punitm306- you are entitled to your opinion, but I dont respect you flagging someones quote as ‘rubbish’.

I think this is an inappropriate thread. Adding no value to investing community

Guys/Ladies

Go slow :smile: Take a breath …phew
Why cant we delay gratification in absorbing a contrary point of view …Why do we have to butt in harshly/immediately to prove a point at the cost of someone else’s …

Let’s show respect for others views. Let’s not be abrasive. Lets retain civility. Let’s be courteous. Lets be kind. and make for a civilised discussion.

Let’s make the Moderators jobs easier…

4 Likes

Rather than discussing gender biased views, let us focus on how to encourage more women taking active part in stock investment.

Can we just stop discussing gender related issues?

We are better off discussing money. Doesn’t really matter if it’s his or her.

I think its a great opportunity for VP to be more inclusive and invite more such members.
I am sure we will get ever better ideas, eg because of left/right brain theory etc and other complementary skills
Who knows this time a lady doctor can find a next Ajanta pharma :smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately This topic had to be closed by Moderators :frowning:

Here are our observations:

1. Bottomline. We are not yet a MATURE place, where a civilised discussion can take place on “sensitive” topics without folks taking harsh self-righteous, indignant positions.

1. Now of all things,VP is a place where self-righteousness is seen as a very big IMPEDIMENT to GROWTH. We have seen too many intelligent (even brilliant) folks staying stuck in their ignorance - unable simply to digest a contrary point of view, rise above that and rather focus on adding value to the discussion. We RESPECT contrary views.
  2. VP is a CIVIL place - we do not resort to “rubbishing” contrary views - we accommodate, and agree to disagree, even ignore maybe :smile:
  3. VP is a CARING, NURTURING place - We care for new members, we welcome them. We would have expected a lot of courtesy extended to our newest valued Women Investors (who we are trying to coax to come out of their shells), We expected Members to be more AWARE and sensitive to the fledgling attempt by seniors
  4. VP is also a place - where a lot of thought has to be given by the person INITIATING the thread. Usually a para is never enough to communicate what you have in mind. Our experience shows no matter how brilliant a communicator you are, you need atleast 3-4 paras to layout a discussion agenda. What the author wanted to communicate did not come out properly - and folks latched on to the starting line :slight_smile: . The onus is also on the Topic Initiator :smile:

A. Those who have spent enough time at VP - upwards of 2-3 years - and grown with each other - naturally have imbibed these precious values which make VP the caring, sharing nurturing community that it is today

B. The “bad-taste” left behind from the way we handled this topic today - is mostly on account of those who are as yet unfamiliar with the VP work-ethic being NEW to the forum perhaps, or perhaps because that sense of “belongingness” or ownership to the Community has not yet seeped in!

We want to make it clear - private messages from MODERATORS - are a nicer/gentler way of cautioning erring members if something violates the above inviolable principles for our Community. Please respect private Moderator intervention. They are doing a thankless job most of the time spending hours for upkeep of the community character. Do not ignore or show your petulance by making public/hinting publicly about a censure. Don’t force them to adopt the same “harsh” public expressions some of us adopted today. Please be aware Moderators have independent powers to suspend/revoke membership, unilaterally.

7 Likes