SYMPHONY - A Comfort to hold for Long term?

Hi All,

Very interesting thread with tons of very useful information. Though, I had looked at Symphony and found it interesting even couple of years ago I started looking at this company seriously very recently and after a sharp run up. So in that sense I did miss the bus! :slight_smile: However notwithstanding that, I still find this business and investment prospect very interesting. Many of the reasons are well documented in this thread. Recently, Prof. Bakshi has come out with excellent post on Relaxo as to how one can carry out rudimentary analysis of future values 5/10 years down the line based on some basic assumptions derived conservatively from historical performance.

I find this approach very instructive. It is better to be broadly right than to be precisely wrong. This works especially for companies which have offerings which has large addressable markets and are consumer focused

For symphony, I compiled some key data on volume/average realization/net profit margins

No of Coolers sold (Volume) (2006-07 to 2012-13): 123,000 to 574,000; CAGR of 29%

Average Realization (2006-07 to 2012-13): 3409 to 6867; CAGR of 12.5%

Net Profit Margin: Broadly fluctuating between 16-20% with some outliers due to extra ordinary items

So based on this historical data I have following assumptions for next 10 years

Volume growth : 15% (substantially lower than historical growth due to much higher base)

Increase in realization: 8% (Again much lower than historical growth)

NPM: 15% (lowest range of margin profile)

Average P/E Multiple: 20 (Current P/E in my view is sustainable even in future looking at growth, business fundamentals, return ratios and high dividend payout and investor friendly mgmt)

So based on this assumptions, Expected market cap is 13000 crore which means 7 baggers in 10 years (CAGR 21.5%) + Dividend yield from here with very conservative assumptions.

Here is the excel file showing calculations

Also, I was unable to locate the complete stock story covering all aspects. If it is there, would appreciate if any of the boarders can help me locate it.

If it’s not there, I can take it up and create one!

On the lighter side, looks like, the stock has transcended from Techno-funda picks to “not so hidden gems” so, it’s time to move it to a different section! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Dhawnil,

I too wanted to carry out the same exercise on symphony after reading Prof’s post.

As usual learnt something new from Prof.

Thanks for sharing this.

However I did the same exercise for Atul Auto (though it is an auto company at the end of the day), and found it to be attractive at this price as well.

Regards,

Chetan Chhabria

Hi Dhwanil,

I think we need to have a deeper understanding of the business before we get to numerical assumptions.

For example,

a) The volume growth from 2006-07 sounds very impressive. But I would find the near-term past (last 4-5 yrs) far more instructive of the business, as lot of dynamics have changed. In FY10, the volume sold was 420K and the volume in FY13 was 574K, implying a CAGR of 8%. This is in the face of increasing the number of dealers by a dramatic basis. Why do we believe that the volume would increase to a CAGR of 15% in the next 3-4 yrs (10 yrs is a difficult call for me)?

b) Similarly, the average realization has a CAGR of 9% in the last 4 yrs (FY10 to FY13).

c) Everybody in the market seems to get excited at Q1FY14 results (Dec-end). But do we understand what has really changed and is this the end to cyclicality and why it is so (I have not seen any commentary to that effect anywhere, except for numerical % increase excitement)? Or has there been a one-off kind of business transaction (with say, the large Pakistan distributor?) Or is there something more structural to it? (like the LATAM business going well).

d) I think the industrial cooling argument has been laid to rest in the previous pages. I don’t think we should get excited about it for the next 3 yrs atleast.

All I am saying is,

i) The management’s talk doesn’t meet with management’s walk historically. They have given way too aggressive guidance time and again.

ii) I am not implying that your assumptions about numbers are erroneous. I am only saying, we need to have a very deep understanding of the business levers before even getting to such numerical assumptions.

I will reserve my comments on Relaxo :slight_smile:

P.S: I have been tracking Symphony since 300-350 levels and have been intellectually arguing on the stock, while people have made money now that it is currently hitting 500 levels. So, take my arguments with a pinch of salt :slight_smile: I am happy to miss this x-bagger without deeper understanding of the business levers.

1 Like

Kiran, look at the big picture-

• In India, only 20% of residential cooler demand is being catered by organized players. & market itself is growing at about 10-15%. Organized players are gaining market share. & should continue to gain…
  • Symphony’s core competency is Design & development of product, and its Marketing. Management has constantly been able to identify good areas of growth… a good example in this is the recently launched Window range of Air cooler. (We have a window air cooler in our home & in my view, in Tier-2,3 cities Window range is more used).
  • Even outside India,residential cooler has good scope of growth.

So, even without meaningful contribution from IC, company can show decent volume growth.

Plus Off late, mgt seems to be giving a lot of interviews, articles & BSE announcements of some aggressive rates at which they will grow in the future (like 1000 crs revenue mark by FY16). Pardon me for ignorance, but I haven’t seen these targets in earlier years. So, maybe they are seeing better product acceptability now (than in earlier years). And with 75% stake, I would like to give them benefit of doubt.

And Realizations are growing & will grow at inflation, plus good ROCE & good div payout is there. So, even if mgt miss their targets a bit, I won’t complain!!

@ Dhwanil-

Tough to look 10 yrs down the line. But I can see that your price, NPM & PE assumptions make sense. Not too sure of 15% volume growth.

From your excel- Symphony will sell 2.67 mn units after 10yrs… How much will it come from exports?

Total market size in India currently is 5 mn units. How much market growth do you see? What market share will Symphony need to reach 2.67 mn units then? Is that possible?

That brilliant article has one good quote also- The most popularsoftware for writing ïction is not Word. Itâs Excel.

Hi Kiran,

I too am sailing in the same boat and has missed the bus precisely because I thought I did not have full hang of the business dynamics. And no regrets on the same either. I am inclined towards a school of thought where I would prefer the mistake of omission than that of commission, if I feel that there is hardly any margin of safety, I would rather give it a pass, notwithstanding the quality of business. So, in that sense, I will be far more comfortable buying Symphony at much lower levels where I am paying very little for growth. Having said this, I have over a period of time realized, based on my discussions with some well entrenched and senior investors that in-spite of paying decent price one can create tremendous value, if the business caters to large opportunity size, can sustain high rate of return on capital , can grow decently, generates enough cash flow and management deploys the capital ethically and efficiently. I feel Symphony largely meets all of these criteria. So, am willing to taste the waters by heeding to the advise to pay up!

Now coming to specific questions on assumptions

Let me talk about levers that I see (and you may have entirely different view)

)- Average growth rate of consumer durable industry is likely to be around 15% (number of reports indicating 15% and higher growth)

)- Typically when a segment is largely dominated by unorganized players (as is the case with coolers) the growth of organized players is likely to be higher than industry growth rate (as it has happened in many other industries)

)- I believe that 8% volume growth rate is coming in one of the most challenging environment globally as well as domestically. If the economy grow at higher rate, the growth in consumer durable can be much higher. So, I am not sure if 8% growth can actually be taken as a sign of pleatuing out. Not just yet!

)- Company has very recently started tapping organized retailers like Vijay Sales and Cromas of the world. Large retail stores are likely to drive growth of branded goods in years to come.I did a small scuttlebutt at Both Vijay Sales and Croma. Both the stores carry Symphony and Bajaj in cooler segment while other brands are non-existant.

)- At the heart of the growth I feel is the value proposition. Air cooler does present a value proposition and versatility with respect to AC and Fan. I also want to concur with Management here that the perception about limited effectiveness of air coolers is hindering the growth. Awareness about value proposition can actually generate lot of new demand.

)- Presence in 60 odd countries is no mean feat. Also some of these countries have large addressable market. Symphony is starting with very low base in most of these countries so in % terms, the growth can be significant. Alliance like Carreofaur in Indonesia and Walmart in SA have just happened. Both these countries have large addressable market. So if things work out there, not only will it create large volumes but also create an opportunity for similar alliance with same partners in other countries as well.

)- And lastly, though not in medium term, but in long term, there is going to be decent market for I&C segment and company is making focused effort on the same and there also I see good value proposition (Ref. Symphony website: they are hiring BD executives across the country for industrial sales)

So, with all these levers in place what are we implying with 2.6-2.7 million number 10 years down the line?

20% from exports: 550,000 units; They are already selling 100,000 odd units; So with even sales in some large countries clicking and in rest of geographies growing at decent 7-8% can make this number achievable

80% Domestic: Roughly 2.1 million units; If cooler industry volume growth is 10% Total size of the industry can be around 13 million in 10 years (which means 9% penetration of addressable market of 143 million (in 2011)). Unorganized:Organized split- 60:40 (Current 80:20) So, Organized market: 5.2 million : symphony’s share 40% including I&C segment (Currently 45%)

Now is this a plausible scenario? or unlikely? or what is the probability one can attach to this or better scenario panning out? I think everyone will have a different view. So, one has to take develop one’s comfort level.

Also, in this whole process and in excel sheet, I am not relying anywhere on management guidance. So, that factor is neutralized as such.

Though I will definitely agree with you and anyone that none of us know whether these variables will play out as assumed. Personally I am comfortable on following counts

1. Management knows what it is doing and has been prudent since last disaster in deploying capital effectively and efficiently. Also management has shown willingness to return the additional capital through dividends. They have been sharing information generously through AR and concalls.

2. inherent business model is asset light hence can continue to generate decent return on capital and free cash flow. So even in some bad years, company can sail through easily.

3. General feedback from my very limited scuttlebut in Ahmedabad (Vijay Sales/Croma/Sales India/Some other electronics shops) is following

in terms of performance Symphony and Bajaj are at the top of the league

however in terms of features and design (and one can make out by just looking at it!), Symphony is significantly ahead of others and hence they are able to charge premium.

So, I am am ready for next round of questions:-)

2 Likes

Hi Jatin,

In my reply to Kiran, I have tried to cover answer to your question as well. I can not agree more with Prof.Bakshi on his quote. But the idea is to be conservative and build assumptions conservatively. Otherwise we will be sitting here without having faintest of idea about the value of the business! An interesting thing happened when we met Astral Mgmt. When we probed him on sustaining the growth, CFO there said that it is very easy to put 30% growth and extend it for 10 years on excel sheet but with many moving parts of business only we know how difficult it is to achieve 30% growth on consistent basis. So, so much for the fallibility of Excel workings!

** The most popularsoftware for writing ïction Itâs Excel.

I am giving a very simplistic view why I have never considered buying Symphony - because I have never considered buying a symphony cooler. I live in the NCR where space is very expensive, water quality is very hard, air quality is dust laden and electricity supply is erratic. The area has pretty severe summers and coolers are great but only for 2-3 months. The bad air makes changing the pads every season a necessity and the scale build up because of hard water spoils the whole look and slowly rots everything. If a cooler is kept inside, it is not as effective and one kept outside would rot anyway unless you then keep it inside to occupy precious space and create clutter. You cannot really depend on the cooler to give you a good night’s sleep because it needs to be always on and an electricity cut will wake you up. Symphony coolers cost half as much as an AC which dont have the above problems so I dont see the cost benefit worth it.

For ‘consumer’ stocks, if I dont consume it, I dont buy it :slight_smile: especially at current high valuations even though I may miss out. So I will not buy a Zee TV because i dont like to watch any of their channels.I cannot buy hawkins or ttk or la opala at these valuations because i see a glut of cookware in stores with very little to differentiate in terms of quality.I never considered Atul auto because I wasnt convinced 3 wheelers would stand against the smarter 4 wheelers and e rickshaws these days.

I’d rather buy a pidilite or titan or eicher or page or pvr in this segment.

As a side note, rather sad that when I went to a flower show recently I was more interested in checking out the vst tillers there :wink:

Hi,

I think many of us at Valuepickr suffer from mental bias of generalising things from our personal experiences for other people as well. One thing I have learnt from senior investor is their openness to new ideas and the ease with which they admit their mistakes and learn from them. This is one thing most of us should work on.

:)) channels.I quality.I

While the long term story remains intact, the stock is now reasonably priced.

Infact I would never allot more than 5% to Symphony (though I took a good position at around 400 levels), I have unwinded it at 550’s

Hi Kiran,

The AR for FY09-10 shows that the production increased to 420K and witnessed sales of**4.07K from 2.53K.**Also the volume CAGR calculated gives 12.2% for 3 years from FY10-13.If we take the volume growth for 4 years it is **22% since the volumes sold was2.53k **in 08-09).

Though on a higher base we cannot take 20% CAGR, even if it maintains 12-14% volume CAGR it is impressive.

Exports will be the deciding factor to see if they generate 50% of revenue 5 years.

one correction from my previous thread - 4.07 lakhs instead of 4.07K also 2.53 lakhs instead of 2.53K

The avg. realisation for a cooler at 2010 = 4700 (193 cr/4.07 lakh coolers)

The avg. realisation for a cooler at 2013 = 6500 (380 cr/5.7 lakh coolers)

Price realisation comes around at 11% CAGR for 3 years from 2010-2013.

Emkay has come out with a research report on symphony giving it a target of 813
http://www.emkayglobal.com/Uploads/EmkayResearch/Symphony%20Initiating%20Coverage.pdf

Our global sales could be bigger than domestic sales in medium to long term: Achal Bakeri, Symphony

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/opinion/interviews/our-global-sales-could-be-bigger-than-domestic-sales-in-medium-to-long-term-achal-bakeri-symphony/articleshow/32596583.cms

I was pleasantly surpised to spot Symphony’s TVC during yesterday’s India-Aus T20 WC match.I am not sure if Symphony was previously advertising on TV, but it should help in building the brand outside N.India.

At the same time, I read that this years AC sales’are off to a slow start.As AC and cooler sales arelinked, I am assuming similar inferences can be drawn for cooler markets?

http://www.samachar.com/ac-makers-stare-at-slow-start-as-winter-prolongs-odnfKqaeacf.html

Did a scuttlebutt and posting some of my findings after speaking with the trade channels:

1.Cooler sales is picking up. Some parts had a late start but optimistic in the near term.

2). No sign of degrowth as of now. Volatility in sales growth only for short term.

3). No window coolers available in bangalore nor tier-1 cities.

4). Window cooler sales is targetted in northern karnataka(belgaum, raichur, gulbarga, hubli) and norterhn india where the summer is extreme and altogether a different market.

5). Sales picking up in window coolers.

6). In window coolers, the cooler has to be mounted on wall or window and may need to drill the wall/window. Also the input water supply is connected to overhead tank of the house. So suited for individual houses than apartments.(in tier -1 there is flats system and most of the homes are rented, where owners are reluctant to drill the wall or window and the overhead tank is shared). Window coolers are as such targetted for rural and semi urban markets.

The cooler sales across the brands and across modern retail shops are picking up.Symphony is the leader.

1.Symphony is the largest selling model in all these stores.

2). Competitors are distant behind.

3.Enjoys pricing power. Selling at premium.

4.No major growth issues in the medium term.

1 Like

I saw a symphony TVC for the first time in a Tami GEC. Was pleasantly surprised.

March 2014 results out.

Sales 113.3 cr vs 85.18 cr (up 33%)

Gross Margin 56.3% vs 56%

OpM 31.3% vs 31.7%

NPM 23% vs 20%

PAT 27.03 cr vs 18 cr (up 50%)

PBIT % on Capital Employed (Operating business) at 101.5% vs 87.38%

Indian Sales up 91.68 cr vs 72.42 cr (Up 26.6%)

Global Sales up 21.61 cr vs 12.76 cr (Up 69.4%)

Sales Volume at 187718 vs 140599 (Up 33%)

Realisation at 5986 vs 6062 (down 1.26%)

Good set of results!!!

With the 9 months EPS at approx 19 already beating the full year 2013 eps of 17.9 and the best quarter yet to come (summer at the peak), with outstanding exports momentum, it seems the party to continue!!!

Key positives for 9 months ended:

_
_

Exports doubled to 37 crores from 19 crores already beating(35 crores) for the full year exports of 2013.

Volume growth of 33%.

ROCE of 101% vs 87%.

The likelihood of symphony completing the year with 95-100 crores profit (eps of 27-28) and full year dividend(including interim) of Rs 12/- looks possible now for FY14.

I am estimating PAT of 110 Crores for the Full Year (50% rise in last qtr profits).

At this rate at a current mkt cap of 2700 Crores, the company is at 25 Time FY 14 EPS. The best part is it has caught the fancy of institutions. There will be volatility, but looks like stock is headed higher. Safe to assume a 20% compounding story here.