Sml Isuzu Limited

SML Isuzu Limited (SMLI) is a trusted and reliable commercial vehicle manufacturer since 1985. It has over 25 Years of experience in producing Light & Medium commercial vehicles to meet the Indian customer needs. SMLI is a first company to manufacture and supply state of the art fully built Buses, Ambulances and customized vehicles.
Sumitomo Corporation, Japan and Isuzu Motors, Japan respectively holds 44% and 15% shareholding in the Company.
This is very good CV cycle story with added benefit newer Vehicle launch.

Recent Observation:

Company is highly ignored as we have better results coming from other players.
 They have faced recent profit growth issue's due to Bharat Stage norms & supply issue.
 Newer model & marketing related expense.

Pros for Trigger:

Good vehicle inventory
Expanse of delivery network is going on nicely
Good price points entries & they can complete properly in SUV & HV segment.
Industrial activity demand improvement will be visible.
Good ROE 
Good Capital allocation
Good Dividend History
Share holder friendly Management 
Vehicle scraping policy will be big boost.

Cons to Consider

Competition from large player
Raw material Spike 
Demand for Vehicle can dampen, but highly unlikely 
Pick up in CV cycle is not happening at desired pace, keep watch on it.
profit was depressed as sales was depressed due to GST, Demoney & Bharat Stage norms, So once we start seeing  good result it will be in Investment radar

Financials:

As on 19-Dec-2019 :
Return on capital employed: 21.92%
Return on equity: 16.95%
ROCE3yr avg: 18.71%
Reserves: ₹ 388.04 Cr.
Debt: ₹ 38.64 Cr.
Book value: ₹ 280.52
Net worth: ₹ 402.52 Cr.
Operating cash flow 3years: ₹ 175.02 Cr.
Cash Conversion Cycle: 44.18
Average return on equity 3Years: 15.65%
Market Cap to Sales: 1.1

Wide Range of Products Both in Cargo (5 – 12 ton) and Passenger Categories (13 - 52 seats)

Installed Capacity
18000 Vehicles
4000 Bus Bodies

Disc : Little bit of investment done .
I would be monitoring vehicle sales & if we see it moving north side then keep adding.

1 Like

Though the company is in business for more than 30 years , still market cap is just 1200 crores around. Looks v low when we compare with other companies like Mahindra , TATA etc. Is their any specific reason it did not grown much. I have seem a few SML Isuzu vehicles in Bangalore which were used as Cabs for IT employees.
But not many people know about this company. Do they have any plans to introduce new products or increase in market share etc ?

Any strategy on Electric Vehicle side ?

Their new products vmax dmax are good when compared to peers technically but are high priced and inexperienced sales staff also doesn’t help. They have to improve on sales, marketing.

Not that i have seen news on it.
But this is CV & SUV manufacturer so Electric will be little distant away.

Yes i think they are costly, but its good for company if they are able to do improve sales with better pricing.
As i have said most important kicker for this story is that If GDP picks up then CV cycle should pick up which is dormant for 4-5 year.
If SML manages to pick up sales with improving margin than we can increase holding in it.
Monthly Sales figure is must to track this one.

Sales is not picking it up yet

Technically looks like it getting good support here -

1 Like

Some information:

I was very much excited about this company because of its history of Japanese parents: Mazda and Isuzu. [I am not sure if it still has some technical collaboration with Mazda].

On my last trip to Darjeeling in Mar 2017, I saw mostly SML Trucks for the hilly road contractions. The second best in number was Eicher trucks. I was told that Tata trucks, which are plentiful in plains aren’t as efficient in hilly areas.

Regarding EV side, I can see that Isuzu motors have the requisite technology for that.
https://isuzu.com.au/news-media/isuzu-electric-vehicles/
They also has low-pollution vehicles.
www.isuzu.co.jp/world/technology/low/index.html

Annual Report 2017-18
http://smlisuzu.com/Upload/AReports/9f60f405_AR2018.pdf

1 Like

SML Isuzu for FYe March 21 has negative cash flow from operating activity and positive cash flow from financing activity. That means new borrowings are financing their operations (i assume no capex plan as there is no WIP or increase in FA).

Japanese parents seem very interesting, but they should have shown their shrewdness in taking the business to newer heights by now. That hasnt happened.

So I infer when the CV cycle does pick up, SML will get the spill over demand after the big boys are flooded with orders? Or Does SML have a stronghold on certain geographical locations - like Sujay mentioned earlier.

Not invested, waiting for a turnaround

Is anyone following this company?

I saw shareholding pattern of this company and found sachin bansal(flipkart cofounder)is increasing his stake from last three quarters.

1 Like

SML ISUZU Limited has sold 716 vehicles in the month of September 2021, as against 360 vehicles in December 2019, a growth of 99% YoY.

The company has sold 540 Cargo vehicles during September 2021, higher by 93% YoY as against 280 in September 2020.

The sales of Passenger Vehicles increased 120% YoY to 176 in September 2021 as compared to 80 in September 2020.

The company has sold 2659 vehicles during the period April to September 2021, 124% higher than 1189 vehicles sold during the period April to September 2020.

1 Like
1 Like

I have been tracking this stock since last 3 months. I think company is about to post its best Quaterly result in Q4 2024.

Comapany is showing continue growth in its sales.

Same Quarter last year B C D E F G H
2024 Cargo Vehicles Passenger Vehicles Total 2023 Cargo Vehicles Passenger Vehicles Total
Jan 406 604 1010 Jan 322 631 953
Feb 434 886 1320 Feb 313 458 771
Mar 599 1269 1868 Mar 391 1778 2169

Since sales growth numbers are impressive im going deep for research. If anyone tracks would request to contribute here.

Disclaimer- Invested in last 5 days, View can be biased