Shaily Engineering Plastic

@csatishk
I can understand your concerns. let me try to explain within my limited knowledge,

Shaily is 3 decade old company established in 1987 promoted by Mike Sanghvi, a well known reputed person in plastic Industry for more than 35 years rich experience in this field. When we look at back their financial and other details we can understand that they are growing step by step from 2 molding machine to current level. So shaily is not a new company or growth is not all of sudden happened by yesterday but it is a gradual growth by years of hardwork and experience.

Lets come to stock price. It was in illiquid mode for long time, just few shares trading here and there with such a low volume, main reason for that most of the shares were cornered by promoters with hardly 250 public share holders and for that reason stock was not in Investors radar. But Scenario changed once promoters decided to allocate 10% preferential share to prominent Investor Ashish Kacholia at the rate of 250 Rs/Share. Re rating started from that point, as you said stock was moved from 60 to 250 Rs without giving much opportunity to buy any one till reach to 250 Rs. On that point we can understand that promoters desire to unlock the real value of the company. Since then they are trying to increase the liquidity. Motika sold their holding to some other prominent Investors and few shares to public. Public share holder nos increased from 250 to 1500 nos. I believe all it is happens only when management got utmost confidence in their strength and future performance.

Your next worry is
"One more thing which stood out was that the quality of investor communication was good for a company of that size".

Why don’t you consider it as a positive move? Because of B2B sector company was unknown to public till last year. Now they decide to unlock the value hence It is their duty to inform their strength and future growth plans to public. I cannot see anything wrong on that. For instance they were mentioned one of their potential area in automobile sector which they are supplying to Honeywell. that is converted steel rod to plastic rod. I tried to google it find more details, what is this plastic rod where it is using what is the market etc. but unfortunately I didnt get much. Finally got the detailed information from their last concall transcript. Shaily is the only one supplier of these kind plastic rod to worldwide. And most of the automobile companies are now looking to convert in plast rod.

Next is concentration risk.

I could not like to say Shaily is a concentrated company. Please look at their strength in Medical, Automobile, and Electrical product. Surely at the moment IKEA business providing 50% of the revenue but scope of growth in other areas existing. I say that they got a strong base, now time started to build up the fort. Please verify their client list. They are dealing and getting confidence of their client for years that include various MNC companies in different sectors.

Next is Crude oil and raw material price variation.

Please go through last con call transcript that i posted above. Most of the cases they are neutral on raw material prices. Either increase or decrease it will pass it to clients.

Comparison with Supreme for Management quality.

Please google it about Mr.Mike Sanghvi you may understand that how respected person he is in plastic manufacturing field or we did not see any wrong doing from the management then how we can compare management integrity. I would not like to say that Iam a good person so you are not. Must say both are good :slightly_smiling:

Invested; Positive Biased

2 Likes

I did not infer that corporate communication was negative what I meant was that generally the reason we find value in small caps is because the management is not savy enough to communicate the qualitative factors to the investing community. The multiple expansion happens over a period of time and usually lags performance…in cases such as this where the promoter is/ has access to inputs on how to position his company and make the right noises…the multiple expansion happened much early in the cycle. Like you have pointed out if significant part of the public holdings are cornered by people in the know…chances are they would exit only at a price which is above the intrinsic worth of the company.

Regd the raw material price aspect you pretty much confirmed my assumption. If crude were to correct 50%…part of of the savings are to be passed on to customers (esp in b2b businesses) and hence for the same item…the realisation per piece would be lower and impact the turnover negatively. Most cos which are in similar businesses would eventually have to compensate the drop in revenue through volume growth.

Disc: none

2 Likes

Shaily announced a consistent growth showing result.

Revenue Q3 FY2016: 54.45 Cr
Net Profit: 3.86 Cr

Revenue Q3 FY 2015: 45.6 Cr
Net Profit: 2.59 Cr

Management arranged Concall on 15th Feb 10.30 a.m
http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/16FA9E07_A57E_45B6_A412_2BCFAB99B60E_153132.pdf

Q3 FY 2016 Result
http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/6C74DD5F_8B9C_4721_946F_DDCB5BD11293_164931.pdf

Result Presentation for December 31, 2015 Q3/9M FY16

Key Development - Q3 FY16

• Started business with Gillette (Subsidiary of P & G) and supplying components for disposable razor
  • Successfully commercialized storage box in recycled raw material for a large home & furnishings major
  • Added 5 new injection molding machines across various facilities
  • CRC Business - Product under different stages of validation/customer approval with various pharmaceutical customers

http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/15FF6906_7E42_45A8_9942_A6E74CC7A21E_181551.pdf

1 Like

CONFERENCE CALL - from Capital Markets

Shaily Engineering

Company’s vision is to become a USD 100 million plastics manufacturer with a Global footprint by 2020

Shaily Engineering held conference call on 15th Feb 2016 after it declared results for the period ended December 2016.
Amit Sanghvi MD Shaily Engineering addressed the call.

Highlights of the call:

Since 1987 the company has specialized in high precision components.

The company’s relationship with GE and Unilever ranges from 15-20 years.

Plastic industry in India is in a very nascent state.

Consumption stands at 10 kilos very low compared to US and China.

Consumption expected to double in next few years.

Demand will be derived by three sectors like packaging (FMCG, Medical etc), Infrastructure (auto, electrical, switch gears) and Agriculture.

For the quarter sales grew 20.3% to Rs 55.2 crore.

EBITDA grew 74.1% to Rs 10.1 crore

PBT grew 82.7% to Rs 5.7 crore.

PAT grew 49.4% to Rs 3.90 crore.

For the nine months sales grew 30.8% to Rs 171.3 crore.

EBITDA grew 59.0% to Rs 29.8 crore

PBT grew 65.9% to Rs 17.1 crore.

PAT grew 37.1% to Rs 11.4 crore.

During the quarter the company started business with Gillette (Subsidiary of P & G) and supplying components for disposable razor.

It also successfully commercialized storage box in recycled raw material for a large home & furnishings major.

The company added 5 new injection moulding machines across various facilities.

In CRC Business the company has product that are under different stages of validation/customer approval with various pharmaceutical customers.

During the quarter machine utilization across plants fell 9.56% to 67.47%.

During the nine months machine utilization across plants grew 0.09% to 75.23%.

During the quarter EBITDA Margin grew 560 bps to 18.2%.

During the quarter PBT margins grew 360 bps to 10.4%.

During the quarter exports accounted for 76% of sales. 24% came in from domestic business. This was against 66% exports and 34% domestic sales y-o-y.

During the nine months exports accounted for 75% of sales. 25% came in from domestic business. This was against 63% exports and 37% domestic sales y-o-y.

The company has 5 Facilities in Gujarat, 100+Injection Moulding Machines and 950 Employees.

The company’s vision is to become a USD 100 million plastics manufacturer with a Global footprint by 2020.

The company’s largest customers will continue to be largest customers and the company sees same pie of business when it reached 100 million business.

The company has, to its credit, an experience of decades and an expertise of manufacturing complex precision components & assemblies.

For ABB the company commercialized all Low Voltage Switchgear products in India.

For Pepsi Aquafina the company designed first of its kind truly tamper evident cap which has now been taken globally by Pepsi.

The company successfully modified Vicks 5/10 gm container design to ensure leak proof in extreme climatic conditions.

The company recorded growth in all business segments.

The company expects to see tailwinds from its new projects.

The company has raw material neutral concept. Polymer prices have minimal impact on the company’s margins.

In Q3 for export business, the spending is over. Thus the company will see increased exports in Q4.

Long term debt is Rs 46 crore including repayments due in next 12 months.

WC debt is Rs 42 crore.

Cash on the books is Rs 26-27 crore.

The company has worked on operational efficiency which has resulted in increased margins.

Capacity utilization in Q3 was 66%.

On average the company’s capex is Rs 30 crore. But it depends on customer requirements. For every rupee invested the company expects revenue of Rs 2.5.

The company’s largest focus area is health care, in terms of new business.

The company is unique in the sense that it caters to many segments. While its competitors are present in particular segment. In Auto business the company has no competitors as it does value added niche business. Polymers used for this business is exotic and not all polymer companies would have capability to use it.

In optimal capacity the company can do business of Rs 340 crore at the current polymer prices. As polymer prices go up sales will also increase.

Capex done till date is Rs 30 crore.

The company expects margins to grow going forward.

3 Likes

Q3 & 9M FY 16 – Earnings Call Transcript

http://www.shaily.com/userfiles/file/Q3%20&%209M%20FY%2016%20-%20Earnings%20Call%20Transcript.pdf

Shaily Executive Chairman Mike Sanghvi’s Article in Polymers Communiqué

“Inefficiency A Hurdle to Overcome for Plastics Processing”

http://www.shaily.com/userfiles/file/Article%20by%20our%20Executive%20Chairman%20in%20Jan%202016.pdf

1 Like

DSP Blackrock buys 4.50 lakh shares of Shaily Engineering

Read more at: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/buzzing-stocks/dsp-blackrock-buys-450-lakh-sharesshaily-engineering_5815761.html?utm_source=ref_article

1 Like

This article could be relevant to Shaily shareholders

Disc: invested. Currently 12.5% of portfolio

3 Likes

Some thoughts on the stock:

1. The holding is concentrated in the hands of a few players. So any large transaction is enough to cause a spike in the price both ways.
  2. It is listed only on BSE thereby further hampering liquidity.
  3. Part of the price builds in the limited liquidity in the stock.

And on the company:

1. It has a huge exposure to one customer, 47% to Ikea, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good because Ikea is a marquee name and carries a lot of bragging rights. But a large exposure would mean that there is a huge risk if that customer goes or reduces its offtake. We have seen that recently happen in a couple of companies.
  2. If you have studied Ikea’s business model- it is always about newer, better and cheaper. Ikea is continuously on prowl for new suppliers who can give better quality at cheaper price. And it is constantly coming up with new products. If you see its catalogues, very few products from 2006 would still be sold in 2016. Thus the supplier has to continuously adapt itself to Ikea’s demands. And with such a large volume Ikea knows exactly how much the supplier is earning and restricts that.

All that talk about higher business volumes from Ikea is fine and will add to company’s bottomline but not without exposing it to risk of over-reliance on a single customer. I feel Shaily needs to derisk its business model from Ikea fast. And that is the question analysts should be asking to the management.

9 Likes

Results announced
http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/E353E9B5_2483_4971_836C_957E82463669_180251.pdf

Concall on May 20th, 11:30 am
http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/860D3A81_6ACE_41E3_9127_B18351EB2D19_145840.pdf

Mgmt Interview

expects a growth of 20-25 percent going forward. He also sees an improvement of 100 basis points (bps) in margins as utilisation improves.
Current utilization around 75%.

Disc: Invested @500 levels. Not a recommendation to buy/sell. Please do your own due diligence.

3 Likes

Q4 & FY16 - Investor Release
http://www.shaily.com/userfiles/file/Q4%20&%20FY16%20-%20Investor%20Release.pdf

Q4 & FY16 - Result Update Presentation
http://www.shaily.com/userfiles/file/Q4%20&%20FY16%20-%20Result%20Update%20Presentation.pdf

CONFERENCE CALL - from Capital Markets

Looking at investment of Rs 30 crore year on year for the next three years

Shaily Engineering held conference call on 20 May 2016 to discuss results for the period ended March 2016.
Amit Sanghvi MD Shaily Engineering addressed the call.

Highlights of the call:

• In FY 2016 sales stood at Rs 225.5 crore, up 25.5%.

• In March 2016 quarter it stood at Rs 54.2 crore, up 11.2%.

• In FY 2016 EBITDA stood at Rs 41.8 crore, up 49.1%. Margin was at 9.5%.

• In March 2016 quarter EBITDA stood at Rs 10.9 crore, up 22.1%. Margin was at 8.0%.

• In FY 2016 PAT stood at Rs 15.5 crore, up 19.1%. Margin was at 6.9%.

• In March 2016 quarter PAT stood at Rs 4.1 crore, down 12.7%. Margin was at 7.6%.

• In FY 2016 cash PAT stood at Rs 25.7 crore, up 32.5%. Margin was at 11.4%.

• In March 2016 quarter Cash PAT stood at Rs 7.70 crore, up 22.4%. Margin was at 14.2%.

• There was reduction in raw material prices in FY16 which translated in lower prices to customers.

• Sales growth was led by traction witnessed across segment in Home Furnishing, Pharmaceuticals, FMCG, Automotive and others.

• In FY16, the company achieved a capacity utilization rate of around 70% across plants and the management expects to maintain momentum going forward.

• By March 2017 the company hopes to have capacity utilization of around 80%.

• EBITDA margin expansion was 180 bps and 290 bps for March 2016 quarter and FY16 respectively led by operating leverage witnessed with increase in sales to existing as well as new customers.

• Cash PAT margin expansion was 130 bps and 60 bps for Q4 FY16 and FY16 respectively.

• Company has declared a final dividend of Rs. 4 per equity share (i.e. 40%) for FY16 subject to shareholder approval

• Increasing business with existing and new clients is a positive step towards its target of $100mn revenue with a Global footprint by the Year 2020.

• During the year, invested Rs. 32.5 crore in various fixed assets and expanding capacity in its plants.

• Capex for FY17 would be based on new orders being confirmed from customers.

• Company has received approval from 2 major pharmaceutical clients in March 2016 quarter. Sales are expected to start in Q1 of FY17. The management is looking at offering Integrated Solution in CRC Bottles and Caps to the pharmaceutical companies and the management looks forward to the opportunities in the domestic markets. This segment is of high focus area for the company and will take it forward in its growth journey.

• During the quarter, the company started manufacturing and supplied components of LED lightning fixtures for CORVI, an innovative LED lightning manufacturer.

• Earlier CORVI imported these components from China.

• Shaily has been successful to become an import substitute in line with Governments Make in India Initiative. Going further, this segment is expected to do well.

• Machine utilization in FY 2016 fell from 76.23% to 69.91%. The company is now focusing on higher value added products.

• In FY 2016 export sales stood at 76% against 66% in FY 2015.

• In March 2016 quarter export sales stood at 80% against 77% in FY 2015.

• The company has 5 facilities in Gujarat. It has 100+ Injection Moulding Machines.

• Sales 3 Years CAGR is 22.3%.

• EBITDA 3 Years CAGR is 33.4%

• PAT 3 Years CAGR is 62.4%

• The company has 950 Employees

• The company’s vision is to become a USD 100 million plastics manufacturer with a Global footprint by 2020.

• The company was under full tax for the FY 2016 as against MAT in FY 2015.

• All the sales are made to order.

• With the current capacity the company is looking at 25% growth in FY 2017. But the current capacity has the capacity to give it around 35% growth.

• Cost of debt has come down in the current year. Interest cost went up due to interest on CRC plant installed last year.

• The company does not look at utilization on tonnage basis.

• The company is targeting EBITDA margin in the range of 18.5-19.6% for FY 2018.

• In two years the company will target health care business to account for 30-35% of sales.

• 50% of its business will essentially remain in home furnishing. The remaining 50% consisting of automotive will grow significantly.

• The company repaid debt of around Rs 13 crore in FY 2016. It hopes to repay another Rs 13 crore in FY 2018.

• The company is looking at investment of Rs 30 crore year on year for the next three years. But it will see that debt Is not increased. However, if the company decides to invest Rs 100 crore in a single year it will have to raise debt. But currently there are no scch plans.

• 70% of its export billing is in Indian Rupee.

Disc: Invested.

5 Likes

Hi Vishnu,

As always, grateful for the Concall summary. Many thanks :smiley:

Some clarity is required on these contradictory inputs:

- In two years the company will target health care business to account for 30-35% of sales.

- 50% of its business will essentially remain in home furnishing. The remaining 50% consisting of automotive will grow significantly.

In 2 years what will be the business mix:

50% Home Furnishing??
?? % Healthcare
?? % Automotive

Thanks and regards,
Aniket.

Aniket, If you go and listen to their concalls, management is very hesitant to give any kind of short term growth numbers and bifurcation. All they tell about is the capex plans and the products which gets approved. The management is confident of achieving 100M$ topline target by 2020. This investment is something like a bet on management’s track record and the capability of the company. I invested it in 2 yrs back after looking at the products they develop.

Disc. Invested. Around 10% of my portfolio.

Hi Kanav,

Thank you for your input.
I have not heard the concall.
I saw the discrepancy in the numbers mentioned, and hence asked for the clarification.
The company is interesting and I have tracking position.

Best regards,

Hello Aniket,

I too did not listen to the concall.
I copy pasted the transcript verbatim from Capital Markets portal.

Luckily for us, Shaily also uploads the official transcripts of the concalls on its website.
I would prefer to wait for the transcript,

Regards.

1 Like

I have listened the con call & Promoter(Current MD) Amit Shanghvi seems to be too young for business & I have seen many times he talk too loud, so we need to take his words with pinch of salt.

Current results Q4 & Full year showed hardly any growth in Bottomline, so claim made in con call looks too talk & promoter has to do Walk the talk to be taken seriously…

Disclaimer: Has tracking position & tracking this stock closely to see growth to justify 30 plus PE for plastic company.

2 Likes

Thanks Ashish for updating your impression.
Will look for a copy of the concall transcript, and try and understand more.

You can listen to concall in researchbytes.in

Kanv

1 Like

Q4 & FY16 – Earnings Call Transcript

http://www.shaily.com/userfiles/file/Q4%20&%20FY%2016%20-%20Earnings%20Call%20Transcript.pdf

1 Like