Sensex Likely To See 25000-30000 Level in coming18 Months

I’m trying to calculate the Sensex Price/Earnings ratio myself.

The Price is obviously available from the live Sensex values, however I can’t find the Earnings number from any source. I want to know if there is any source that provides the Financial Year updated (Quarterly updated would be brilliant :smile: ) earnings of the 30 sensex companies.

1. I don’t want to individually go through the Financials of all 30 Sensex companies to add up the earnings (unless ofcourse there is a spreadsheet/tracker readily available which auto-populates data).
  2. I know the P/E is available from the BSE website and I can just multiply the numbers, but that doesn’t solve my purpose.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone has information on how to do this.

Many Thanks!

PS: I’m asking this because I can’t seem to rely on people talking about the Sensex earnings. A few days back, in an interview on CNBC with an Ambit Capital analyst, the analyst said Sensex FY 16 earning should be 1550 which gives the Price of 25000 a P/E of 16.
However, BSE shows sensex P/E to be almost 20 currently, so if the analyst is correct that’s discounting Sensex earnings of 20% for the remaining 9 months. Can’t believe that the numbers are correct or the analyst is being stupid projecting earnings growth >20%

I just go by the P/E numbers on the BSE/NSE website where the E is weighted TTM earnings.
The analysts typically talk about (Price)/(1 year forward expected earnings).
I don’t even want to guess about whether the denominator was found using some spreadsheet formulae or just to suit their target :smile:.

It might depend on which analyst gave the target - whether he/she was stupid, ignorant, parroting, optimistic, considered the audience stupid, or a combination of the above.

A secular bull rally needs meaningful corrections.The present correction started somewhere in April 2014 is orderly.
I strongly believe in India growth story. When our economy turns USD 4 T Sensex must be at 50000 levels.
Usually in the beginning of a good market , it does not appear so.So , the long awaited great bull run is yet to happen.
In short term Sensex may hit 22000 or even 14000.It doesn’t matter.One should be stock specific.Huge rallies in the benchmark index can be used to sell a part of your holdings.