Selecting a broker

Hi Gaurav,
I have a Non-PoA Demat Account with HDFC Bank for which token based Speed-E has been activated. Zerodha has been kind enough to configure my brokerage account in such a way that all my purchases through them go to this HDFC Bank demat account and all my sales happen from the Zerodha demat account. This is basically a copycat implementation of @Yogesh_s’s idea mentioned by him earlier.

Speed-E comes in two forms -
a. One is username and password based. You do not need to buy a digital signature for this. But if you choose this option then your ISINs can be transferred only to pre-approved demat accounts. These can be any demat accounts but you will have to mention them when applying for Speed-E. Also, I think you cannot freeze your ISINs if you choose this option.
b. The second one is username and digital certificate based. If you go in for this then you can transfer your ISINs online to any other demat account. You can also freeze individual ISINs or the entire account. But you will have to get a digital signature certificate from e-Mudhra and renew it every couple of years.

I went about this whole process of activating Speed-E by:
a. Applying for a standalone HDFC Bank demat account on their website.
b. Once the demat account was opened I wrote to them (using their website) about activation of Speed-E. (You could probably request for Speed-E activation at the time of opening the demat account itself)
c. I got a detailed email with instructions (applying for a token, preparing agreements with adequate stamp duty, other forms etc)
d. I submitted all the forms etc. to my local HDFC Bank branch for activation of Speed-E.

It took me a few months to get all this done. At the end of it all, I got a username from HDFC Bank using which, along with the token, I can login to the Speed-E website.

Attached please find two screen-shots of the interface of Speed-E portal.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions. Most HDFC Bank branch personnel don’t really know much about Speed-E. In fact, my local branch didn’t even have a Securities Desk and so that had to forward my application to/through another branch.

13 Likes