Screener.in: The destination for Intelligent Screening & Reporting in India

Hi @kanwalpreet18,

I started looking into the NIC Codes as a means to compare peers.

I found that NIC Code for Bajaj Auto and Hero Moto are different!

Now, for all practical purposes they are peers but using NIC Code they will stop being peers!

I guess I will have to rely on my manual categorization.

Thank you!

This feature existed earlier. @pratyushmittal Any plans for reintroducing in new version?

Hi Chirag,

I checked on this discrepancy. Looks like Hero MotoCorp is misreporting its NIC product code. To confirm, check http://udyogaadhaar.gov.in/ua/Document/nic_2008_17apr09.pdf

Code 3091 (rightly used by Bajaj Auto in their AR) is for motorcycles
Code 2910 (wrongly used by Hero in their AR) is for motor vehicles

To further confirm this and its usage, I ran a quick check on CMIE Prowess. If I run a query using code 2910 I get names of all motor vehicles manufacturers such as Maruti Suzuki, Fiat, Ford etc. If I run a query using code 3091, I get list of all two wheeler manufacturers such as Eicher, Yamaha, TVS, etc.

I think CMIE is cleaning the data before they put in into their software to ensure data integrity. Three points I’d like to note here:

1. The use of industry accepted data aggregators such as CMIE Prowess ensures compatibility across companies and industries. If we know how the data is cleaned, it can save us a lot of time in making comparisons.

2. Some data aggregators (like Prowess) also have unlisted companies in their database. I believe they look for some sanity in a company’s reporting before they include it but this is very beneficial to the end user for industry research.

3. NIC product codes go beyond four digits as the official document that I shared illustrates. This is even more beneficial. An aggregator who cleans and assigns longer product codes to companies can make life much simpler.

I am unsure of the data source for Screener. I’ve used Prowess quite extensively and I see great advantage in using a good aggregator.

Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed clarification on this!

Regards,
Chirag

VP Team,

I am not able to create screen with below objective

1. YOY decrease in D/E ratio for 3 or 5 years
  2. YOY increase in ROE for 3 or 5 years

If anyone has / can crack the logic, pls share.

Thanks !!

I request the Screener developers to provide more granular level balance sheet and cash flow data in the downloadable excel. That will allow us to compute more ratios in the customized Excel. Ideally this level of data should be available with them in their database I reckon.

Meanwhile I will be grateful if some one can tell me if I can compute these ratios using current data in the downloaded Excel sheet-
1- Accounts Payable turn over ( This ratio is Total supplier purchases/Average(Beginning accounts payable + Ending accounts payable)) So we need accurate accounts payable data.
2-Quick Ratio- Where can I get “Current liabilities” data in the downloaded excel? I need that data to compute current ratio also.

Can somebody help how to get ROCE 5 years average for my watch list in screener. The average capital employed 5 years is showing some strange numbers which are not tying up. The ROE average 5 years is reflecting accurately.

Download the excel for the stock you need five year ROCE and from excel you can calculate the average. There is a row for ROCE in downloaded excel.

@ayushmit , any chances of having common sized info on screener. I know you can easily do it by exporting the excel sheet but it would be awesome to have it in the result page of the company itself and once again a gazillion thank yous for creating this product

Any site which gives half yearly balance sheets of listed companies (not pdf but in table form on web page)?

Sometimes screener does not show Consolidated Quarterly"" figures. E.g. if you see Sundram Fasteners data you do not get quarterly numbers if you choose consolidated option. There is no issue for standalone quarterly numbers. Same is issue is seen in the downloaded excel sheet also.
But you get Annual numbers for consolidated balance sheet, Income and cash flow statements though.

Hi Guys,

Since the last Screener.in Excel format change (about a year+ back), I had not updated our very useful 10min-quick-look excel. Before that major format change (and lots more useful/essential data points) the Excel could be uploaded to Screener.in and in a minute, we could download our own customised look up - just the way we are comfortable to scan - any new business.

I was badly missing this coolest of all feature for my template (really hope everyone here uses the Customisation Excel feature) of Screener.in. So my first resolution/task for 2017 was to clean-up the earlier file format and make it usable again - so I gain back the first-level 10-min keep/discard look-in edge :slight_smile:
Zenith Fibres.xlsm (85.4 KB)

Anyone can obviously use the above excel and upload it at Register - Screener and then download for any other company the same custom excel format for that first look-in. Hope everyone participating in this thread are already using the custom excel feature.

A request to @shrey Shrey Sao and @ashwinidamani
Can you have a look and help sanitise any mistakes
I am not an expert, there could be mistakes here, please be aware (especially with the Current Liabilities Assets part in new reporting formats)
Other BS/Accounting experts also can please chip in.

Its our endeavour to sanitise for mistakes (if any) and add 2 more things to this starting template in the next 30 days - so everyone can be on the same page

1. Add a RED FLAGS worksheet separately - to flag what doesn’t add up, and needs further investigation
  2. Add further refinements that help us SPOT IMMEDIATELY - what more is worth noticing (e.g. in my current back-to-basics mood, I am first on to reading the brilliant collection of Michael Mauboussin papers and found 2-3 new things to add that surely add valuable insights and add more perspective.

thanks

7 Likes

This may be a silly question. On uploading the excel file, I am getting Ajanta’s customized page in every other companies. I suppose I have to configure Excel options for the same which I have done by enabling external content…excel options>trust center>trust center settings>external content>enable all data connections/enable automatic update of all workbook links. Am I doing it right?

Sorry for the error. I was too groggy last night and uploaded without double-checking everything.

That was a typo/copy-paste error in company name only… the “Customisation” worksheet sheet and “Calculated Data” worksheet data is for the company name as in “Data Sheet” and other sheets.

Have corrected some other errors pointed out in post below.
Also uploaded corrected excel in original post

1 Like

Some more errors corrected.

1. EV = MktCap+Debt - Cash and Cash Equiv, or in the excel it should be
    EV=B26+‘Data Sheet’!B59-‘Data Sheet’!B69
    another inadvertent error - don’t know how that that ‘Data Sheet’!C83 crept in
    so just deleting that ‘Data Sheet’!C83 and copying teh formula across columns would do the job
    Everyone using this Excel please make the change.

2.Operating Cash Flow doesn’t need any calculations:). Its a straight lift from the Data Sheet B82 from the Cash Flow section :slight_smile:
Delete the others ‘Data Sheet’!D53 & ‘Data Sheet’!D77 please and copy across all the columns will do the job.

Corrected Excel. Also uploaded corrected Excel in original post before
Zenith Fibres.xlsm (85.4 KB)

14 Likes

Hi
There is a function/ratio on screener.in called "last return date"
It works for some scripts and for some it doesnt.
I am trying to screen results based on last return date
Please check for instance Aarey Drugs & Pharma, the last return date is Dec 2016, however the ratio shows Sep 2016
Thanks however, its a extremely good tool and I use it often
Edward

the customization feature is superb and world class. Everyone can benefit from it and now receive customized inputs from @Donald and others who have shared their customizations , for any company that you want to have a look at. This is terrific learning and i must say i am having so much fun doing this! I hope everyone makes use of this mindblowing feature in screener.in. Sahi hain boss.

1 Like

Hi @ayushmit,

I am unable to understand how the Altman Z-Score is calculated in Screener

The ZScore in Screener is 33.93 for Ajanta Pharma while in the sheet that has been provided by @Donald (the zenith file customized for Ajanta Pharma) it calculates to 8.37 for march 16 (Ajanta Pharma (2).xlsm (90.6 KB)
). There is a significant difference that i am unable to reconcile. Please help when you have the time!

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with how to access fixed asset variable while running a query?

Thanks,
Priyank,

try typing in Net Block

1 Like