Relaxo Footwear: a wannabe brand play

I think regarding the performance factor put up by donald there could be another yardstick where some kind of table can be put up where the performance of the more prolific stock pickers can be put up so that boarders can get a better idea about track record of the stockpicker. This would even help the stockpicker focus on his pluses and minuses and provide some kind of performance benchmark for boarders in order to follow the stock pickers. This could include the price at which stock was recommended, the high following reco, any book profit call from stock picker and current market price.

Regarding relaxo what I cannot understand why people are quite bullish on this one post sharp run up to around 550 levels. The stock price languished in the 300-350 range and the business was going as it is back then also. What I consider while putting up any pick is the price at which a stock is recommended so that anyone following him should suffer minimum loss in case of them buying the recommended stock.

In relaxo I think at cmp there is a high amount of risk and upsides would materialise onlly if company shows strong growth. Who knows there might be rebound in rubber prices and EVA prices which again could impact the input prices and thus affect profitability.

Hi Guys,

Good to see a healthy debate here :slight_smile: I think this debate is not about Relaxo in particularā€¦no one can say withcertaintythat this stock is good or bad or can have the authority to give the final judgement. Most of the times its all about the future which no one knowsā€¦but can try to visualize.

I think the important thing is that Valuepickr has developed and grown into a discussion place for investors wherein Donald has tried to involve people to come up, read, debate and understand the stock story themselves. His whole focus has been retail investor education and developing of new talent along with guidance from seniors. So despite doing good work if we are not able to transfer it to the masses, ourobjectiveis unsolved and the work remains personal.

Mahesh, you have been doing good ground work and perhaps the most indepth analysis and most often the common man (or even experts) can never have access to such details. But at the same time the personalization at our forum seems to be missing. What I notice is that you have been putting up huge amount of information everywhere. I think the quantum of details takes away the charm. Plus due to the style one is not able to discuss things beyond a point. I would suggest you to tweak your model. Perhaps putting up the details at an external location and giving the relevant links or summary will surely make the discussion much more involving and useful. I have been greatlybenefitedby the negative feedback I receive and you will also be able to get the same more if your message is getting communicated properly.

Like they say - communication is complete only when received by the person :slight_smile:

Regards,

Ayush

PS: Just sharing of thoughts

I could not post my comments due to some technical problems with my computer yesterday. Admins, request you to delete my prev duplicate posts.

To start with, let me think Mahesh, Donald, Hitesh, Ayush and others for sharing so much useful information for retail investors like me. I really appreciate the amount of information that Mahesh puts over here and passion he brings to the discussion. I sincerely thank him for this.

Having said that, I would likealso sharethe followingcandid views which I am sure would help Admins for any course correction

)- tend to over analyze things and lose focus of the big picture

)- too much data for a common investor to understand andcontribute

-more focus onon numbers,quality of the management is not given enough attention

)- inputs from Management QA sometimes over magnify things (good or bad)than necessary

)- feels more like corporate environment whichsometimes hindersfree flowideas

The goal of every stock discussionresults in only two possibilities - buy or not buy the stock. The question is - is it possible tokeep this process as simple as possible without losing sight of important factors? This in my opinion wouldencourage more number of people to actively participate inthe discussions.

At end of the day, I cannot blame anybody for my portfolio losses. If I have to blame it should be my own personal judgment.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for sending in the different perspectives. We have a good enough sample now. I have also polled folks from other successful forums, senior market participants, and friends from the regulatory side of the market.

Here is a summarised consolidated view that is emerging:

1). Mahesh is good, extremely gifted. His research expertise should be put to good use as he has chosen to share with the general public. There are enough admirers of Mahesh in the market (not just at ValuePickr), some who have interacted with him (over email, etc.) from over 6 years. The guy is good. His research is strong. He should be encouraged.

2). A closer examination of the research data and posts made - shows an emphasis on huge amounts of data, and news/events around the company or industry, but negligible emphasis on Valuation. End of the day the Price you get in, is the most important. If you get the Price entry wrong, all your in-depth research is practically useless. On the other hand if you get the entry price right, you do not need much in-depth data. Getting the big picture right is enough!

3). Once the basic data set is in - like say our impartial/neutral Stock Story is in - most of the discussion should be around Valuation. If there is Value, it should scream a Value buy out at us. The danger with too much emphasis on data and news & events is that it drowns the focus on Undervaluation. While senior investors can come to their own conclusions, 90% of any online community as ours cannot. Most of them look to be free-riders on folks they get to trust. If they get in at the wrong price, and do not get warnings for exit, they flirt with disaster - and in ValuePickr itself there has been atleast 3 instances of disaster!!

4). ValuePickr is a small forum with ~3000 registered users today in last 2 years. The pace has accelerated as new folks are joining the effort -and our dream of bringing together amateur investors, senior investors, industry professionals, Institutional Investors - in a collaborative model is taking firm roots. We have also had some decent success, we have some measure of accountability and transparency built-in, there is some TRUST. Beginner Investors have started flocking to the site. From the stats, you can make out that 90-95% are free-riders. **Official ValuePickr Portfolio **was started to bring in the first level of transparency and accountability.

5). We have NOW been advised to bring in higher standards of Transparency & Accountability which will lead to higher Credibility not only of ValuePickr as a community, but lead to higher credibility of its most prolific contributors. Separating the Wheat from the Chaff- should apply to companies/stocks, but just as well to our prolific contributors.

6). Higher Transparency - Ensure Disclosure of positions while initiating, on regular updates and definitely on exits, or atleast immediately after. Moderators are responsible for compliance by following up with prolific contributors.

7). Higher Accountability - Track record of prolific recommenders must be kept updated. Initiation price, price behaviour within 3 months, 6 months, 1 yr, 2yr, exit calls, price behaviour post exit calls.

8). My friends from the Regulatory side say these measures will go a long way in ensuring that the downsides to small investors are minimal, and enhance the reputation of our community if we can start with strictly enforcing these measures.

9). They have also advised us to HELP the Regulators - by putting up profiles of participants, everyonesā€™s photo is uploaded, introductory thread started, and one-on-one face to face group meetings are encouraged.

10). Having put in confidence-building measures, we should ensure passion is not killed. We should find a way -to provide access to complete in-depth data that anyone wants to put up/share with the larger investment community. Referencing Links to a Repository is a good idea, while keeping the focus on Big picture and Valuations, Margin of Safety, etc. in the main discussion flow.

This has served as a good wake-up call for us. Thanks to ValuePickr Admin for being vigilant. Thanks to Mahesh for being sportive. I am sure we can find an effective middle-ground that harnesses your in-depth research strength, at the same time protect downsides to beginner investors. We already have most of the Answers to the solution pieces.

Everyone Please comment. Do you agree that above CONFIDENCE BUILDING measures are good to enforce at this stage of ValuePickrā€™s evolution.

-Donald

1 Like

I think these measures are going to be extremely good to maintain the transparency and enhance the effectiveness of the forum. Specially, the discussion around valuations is perhaps the most important.

As I mentioned in a post earlier this week, Relaxo was discussed in this forum at levels around 300. But the sudden interest and great discussions initiated by Mahesh at nearly twice the valuation needs to be understood by the numbers. Also, I donā€™t see much comparisons between companies in the same space in terms of business models and valuations, which would add a great deal in terms of the quality of discussion.

Disclosure: I do not and have not owned Relaxo currently or have done so at anytime in the past.

Letā€™s move on.

Letā€™s implement these measures as possible. Transparency in Disclosures is a good thing. If moderators can indeed follow-up on closures - ensure exit calls are diligently provided. many times this can be a genuine oversight.

Putting up track record of recommendations is a great thing. If Hitesh is worth following, everyone will get to see that track record upfront and benefit. If somebodyā€™s record is average or so so, then too folks would be well-advised.

Coming back to Relaxo. Is it historically overvalued at current levels? I agree we must spend more time on establishing Margin of safety or the lack of it.

Hi Donald,

The measures mentioned for increasing credibility and protecting "free riders"are very good and highlyessential in the current circumstances.

Happy to see valuepickr evolve to become a more ā€œmass segmentā€ oriented forum and hopefully this will happen without diluting the quality of posts. Moderation will go a long way to keep this forum as delightful as it is now.

I would love to know more personal details of our ā€œstar stockpickersā€ including Mahesh and if possible meetup with all of them. Transparency and trust go hand in hand. Glad that you are taking care of all the aspects of regulatory requirements in spirit aswell.

A more detailed framework of rules to be followed and stict moderation to implement those will be welcome.

Cheers

Vinod

Hi Donald,

I agree with the measures proposed by you on transparancy, credibility & accountability. I am happy tolearn about your concern for the novice investors. Let us all make this forum more transparent. Personal meeting with each other or a kind of annual meet at some suitable location would be a great idea.

Good to see all contributing actively and love to read Donaldā€™s balanced and fair views as always.

Atleast I was able to draw such active and detailed participation of members, albeit not on any company, but on giving a thought process on evolving a fair and just regulatory environment on this forum (Just Skiddingā€¦Pardon Me).

Just few things I want to state as I have seen this forum evolve into a great knowledge warehouse from the time I connected with Donald on linkedin and he invited me to join this forum till nowā€¦

There should be a mechanism involved which alerts the so-called beginner investors at every stage who have least knowledge of any business and are not going to work atall on their own to study regarding the discussed company and are just here to read regarding certain companies and get return by investing into itā€¦I have known, infact via this forum only, few investors like that communicating with them I get extremely concerned and so advise them in my every communication to them to not invest their critical money into stock marketsā€¦

(

One is a housewife in this forumā€¦One is a Father wanted to earn money for her daughterā€™s marriage some years down the lineā€¦I even remember a guy who contacted me via this forum (who is even today contributing to many posts) and I passed on my mobile no. to him considering the knowledgeable participation I had got in this forum from other members; Based on my success in PI Ind., he used to think I am a tip-giving machine and will come out with new ideas every week ; I had to request him to stop calling often and remain in contact via emailā€¦

)

Although since valuepickr is an open forum I know its almost impossible to evolve such mechanism but if our goal is to protect those guys then we need to think of somethingā€¦

Second, we need to frame the rules by not just keeping short-term to medium-term investment in mind but real long term investment also has to be consideredā€¦Its afterall from a real long term investment into an able company that real wealth creation happensā€¦Also, there needs to be provision for concept stocks too which might not look screaming buys at particular point of time but can ultimately evolve into a screaming buy few years down the lineā€¦Valuations need to be looked at from all angles and not just one angleā€¦If the rules are framed by keeping just free-riders on knowledgeable folks in mind then it will malign the real knowledge-focussed free and transparent structure of this forumā€¦Since 90 % of the members of this forum are free-riders (as is said) then I fear high chance of this happeningā€¦

Thirdly, to encourage free-riders will not be in best interest of the ethical community we have evolved in these many years as let there be as many stringent rules we frame and let there be extreme caution knowledgeable members take, afterall its an equity market and there are many issues involved in any business or company which are bound to go wrong even in so-called ā€˜ideas that scream as Value Buy at a particular point of timeā€™ā€™ and create so-called ā€˜Disastersā€™ then who will be responsible for such ā€˜Disastersā€™ ?? An option to this can be to create a closed-area in this forum which will not be acessible to free-riders or those who are not going to do any work on their own and are just going to ride on their favourite memberā€™s postingsā€¦But, the question then arises how will one identify free-riders ??

There has to be a mechanism evolved which ensures free flow of ideas, updates, views, etc. while at the same time ensuring that participation and audience is not killed for the sake of rulesā€¦This is what I have loved in this forum so far inspite of relatively less participation in my every research work except 1 or 2 odd as compared to other forumsā€¦

I sincerely hope that valuepickr forum evolves into a better and more pronounced knowledge repository with rising audience and increasing membership rather than falling prey to stringent regulatory environment which, although in the short term will enhance credibility as also membership of the forum, but, in the long run will eventually result in killing the better, innovative research ideas/methodologies as also high quality participation.

Rgds.

Hi Donald,

Fundamentally I agree to proposed measures.

Let us also not forget that someone with a good record of correct calls can also make mistakes. Hence if we do have a record of past performance, boarders need to keep this in mind and not just go blindly based on the halo attached to the contributor making the call.

There is a big role of luck in investments which we often underestimate.

I guess you should move this discussion to another thread instead of Relaxo.

Best regards,

Akbar

Hi Donald,

I agree with your suggestion. Valuepickr should be a inclusive community where folks with different analysis style, investment philosophy, data gathering style should be able to share their view freely without creating problem to other. I would suggest to create a new section called ā€œindepth analysisā€ where folks with high caliber of analyzing stocks to the extreme detail and coming to conclusion would share their data. Personally I want to learn analyzing huge subjective data and reaching conclusion, and such separate section will give a scope to try our hand on analyzing stocks Maheshjeeā€™s way.

I think it is an exceptional idea to have data about stock pickers and their recommendation history along with their track record (3month, 6month, 1yr, 2yr) and so on. This will take valuepickr to new high.

Maheshjee, sorry for my utterance, but I take strong exception to the ā€œfree riderā€ comments of your. Personally I believe we all are learner, who are learning the trick of stock analysis, valuation, picking, investment decisions by looking at the more experienced, matured seniors. It is just some are a more learned than the other. There is no harm in doing so. I guess the basic idea behind having this forum is to have a place where folks can interact and learn from each other.

Regards,

Subash

Hi Subash,

ā€˜free-riderā€™ comment is only taken from Donaldā€™s post which says ā€œFrom the stats, you can make out that 90-95% are free-ridersā€ā€¦and thats what I said in my post that how will we able to identify so called ā€˜free-ridersā€™ā€¦if one who is just following any knowledgeable memberā€™s post blindly without doing his own research or applying his mind is called ā€˜free-riderā€™ i supposeā€¦Is any fair and free discussion forum suitable to them ?? Discussion forum is meant for discussion on varied subjects whether right or wrong (which eventually turn or are judged right or wrong by the majority after discussion)ā€¦afterall thats what is called discussionā€¦now, if any knowledgeable member, who enjoys exceptional credibility, by mistake starts a wrong discussion then so called 'free rider ā€™ will follow him there too and what will be the result ??

Subash you are a guy who want to use the research and learn how to draw your own conclusion from thatā€¦so ā€˜free riderā€™ definition is not appropriate for youā€¦There may be many inactive members or less active members in this forum who are silently learning how to research or how to use research for analysing any companyā€¦Now thats where the thin margin of difference lies and so identifying ā€˜free ridersā€™ is almost impossible and if ā€˜free ridersā€™ become too many on a forum then it will create ethical issues for knowledgeable contributors who will refrain from contributing atall as otherwise if they are wrong ā€˜free ridersā€™ will sufferā€¦

Afterall, in addition to forum admin, its founders and its contributors its eventually the responsibility of readers to use the discussions or posts in right respect as a direction rather than to take any decisionā€¦Agreed, rules are necessary to have a fair and transparent forum but they canā€™t be framed by keeping so-called ā€˜free-ridersā€™ in mind as otherwise it will call for a disasterā€¦

I also note Akbarā€™s views and he rightly said that if we start a practice of accountability (which is absolutely necessary as per me too) by publishing the track-records of knowledgeable members then the benefit of it will be more responsibility on the part of knowledgeable members in their initiation of threads and all but again the negative of this will be that if many times a member is right and then for couple of times in succession he is wrong then those beginners who are going by track-record w/o much analytical skills will suffer heavily as those guys usually start with low exposure initially to test the success of whom they follow and then gradually increase the exposureā€¦

Hence, Subash no hard feelings as I was only commenting from Donaldā€™s post and I have utmost respect for guys like you who wants to use the research and post in the right wayā€¦Afterall its only with this intention I started publishing detailed works years backā€¦

Rgds.

Hi Guys,

I am late over here.

Probably what I see is there could be two sections;

1). The first one where a prelimanary analysis can be posted. Analysis base on few basic numbers and time spent by the the member could be max few hours may be 4-6 hrs.
2). The second section may be things need to be eloborted can be taken there. Where in depth analysis can be done and people can discuss at lengths.

Also with this we can let people glance over the initial analysis and find intersting may go over the detailed one. Right now we have a mix. And sometimes it is really difficult to go all over.

Just putting some thoughts views are invitedā€¦

Thanks a lot Guys. I am overwhelmed at the quality of the folks we have attracted at ValuePickr. The quality and tone of our balanced discussions were exemplary. I am happy to recommend back to ValuePickr Admin - the measures we have identified, take responsibility for slowly bringing in every one of these, incrementally - subject to their Approval.

Okay! Now this is the final piece here in this thread, about Confidence building measures, transparency & accountability. As one of the Moderators, I reserve the right to have the Last Word:).

1). ValuePickrā€™s mission is to make everyone BETTER-INFORMED investors. Thatā€™s the bottom-line. You can be a novice and become better-informed, by reading just the Stock Story and Management Q&Asā€¦and then following the Public ValuePickr Portfolio as a rough guide. Or you can follow one of the many prolific stock-pickers whose style, approach and performance/consistency you like and whose ethical/transparency record you get to TRUST.

2). We definitely DO NOT aim to make everyone a great stock researcher/analyser to good stock-picker to a good Capital Allocator. 90%-95% of the people are not ā€œvelaā€ (idle) or crazy like us - serving professionals, or running an enterprise, or housewives (always hands-full) or retired folks -who donā€™t have the time, patience or the passion/need for that. They just need to find for themselves TRUSTED advisor(s) with a good track record, which gives them a good base to compound their money smartly. (No Guarantees, but. Ultimate responsibility lies with the reader. He must take professional advise before investing).

3). I am really happy to see some very smart ValuePickrs among this 90% set. Take a guess - the guy who articulated his needs of what he expects from ValuePickr very crisply in about 5-6 lines in this thread somewhat earlier in the thread - great clarity in his thoughts - a very quick learner. He had a decent portfolio (~12-15 stocks) just by aping Hiteshā€™s picks and a couple of others. He was smarter to include anything Hitesh ever talked about ā€¦but may not have loaded up (e.g. Dishman or Dish TV). Then he got smarter - he engaged Hitesh and others to refine this Portfolioā€¦and myā€¦when I looked to check his progress a couple of days backā€¦this guy had a much better, refined Portfolioā€¦more concentrated 6-7stocksā€¦a clearer allocation strategy will be apparent to anyone who looksā€¦What a Guyā€¦I love the real SMART guys like him. I hope his SMARTS rubs off on everyone of the rest 90% of folks. Check the Portfolio Q&A Section. His name is Subash Nayak. I have made a mental note to meet him on my next trip to his city:) More power to guys like himā€¦will mean more power to ValuePickr and its mission. Subash is our biggest advertisement today!

3). A small 5% of ValuePickrs will fall in the crazy passionate stock-picker categoryā€¦we have that needle to do things for ourselves, put in 100-200% efforts, grow every day ā€¦with every stock we churn, learn from others smarter than ourselves. We have the time and the energy and the passion to keep getting better at what we doā€¦and attract more and more like-minded folks around us.

4.This is happening. More and more folks are volunteering to join the effort. Management Q&As are getting crowded. We have resolved to accommodate 1 earnest newbie in every tripā€¦who gets a great chance to pick the brains of astute seniors like Hitesh, Ayush, Gaurav, Nagabrahmaā€¦and gets to interact with MDs & CXOs of many huesā€¦experiences our post-mortems post Q&A, in one packed concentrated 4-5 days tripā€¦where he soaks in a game-changer experience in his evolution as a valued member of ValuePickr community. As a bonus, mostly every city offers us a chance to chat up/discuss/refine the findings with a super seniorā€¦and thatā€™s like the icing on the cakeā€¦after all our hard work!

5). Nothing in life comes FREE. Before anyone qualifies for the same he/she needs to show not just INTENT but consistent EFFORTS of adding value to the community for a few months, at the least. The moderators get to pick the CHOSEN one.

This time round - for our Gujarat - Alembic, Atul Auto, GRP,Astraltrip - the lucky one was VInod MS. Will ask him to share his views in a separately created threadā€¦that may spur many others to jump-start their journey:)ā€¦who knows!

Cheers. Thanks again to all of you for making ValuePickr what it is! and what it will become!!

THIS IS THE LAST WORDā€¦This entire transparency/accountabilty/credibility discussion will move to Forum Guidelines thread, shortly

OVER TO RELAXO ā€¦Emphasis on Valuationā€¦Valuationā€¦Valuation!

New sparx ambassador is Akshay Kumar ,I bought sparx sandals 3 years ago and they are still in a very good shape most of my friends also have sparx sandals.

800 wow new high.

Hi Mahesh,

Can you please post the latest Raw material prices for Realxo and also oulook on them for the remaining part of the yearā€¦ Seems all commodities are on bull run and rubber has already reacted to itā€¦ from 165 to 185 rsā€¦

Hi Sandeep,

Please find the latest RM price update as at 14th Sep. 2012 below :

Rubber - Rs. 185 per kg.

EVA - Rs. 117 per kg. (Mumbai Market ā€“ in Delhi its 112)

Avg. RM prices for the qrtr. (Q2FY13) till 14th Sep.2012 :

Rubber - Rs. 178.4 (v/s Q2FY12ā€™s Rs. 210.54 & Q1FY13ā€™s Rs. 192.54)

EVA - Rs. 118.6 (v/s Q2FY12ā€™s Rs. 141.66 & Q1FY13ā€™s Rs. 124.16)

Till Chinaā€™s growth resumes at a brisk pace there is no likelihood of any significant run-up in RM prices, especially EVA as EVA inventory build-up is significantly high because of much lower consumption by Solar industry of Chinaā€¦This is not to say that there is no risk atall of sudden spurt in RM prices, yes, it will always remain, but based on the indications we have as of now, EVA prices are unlikely to scaleup significantly higher in CY2012ā€¦

With rgds. to Rubber, again, it all depends on how fast western as well as Chinese demand recovers as also our domestic auto demand revivesā€¦The recent run-up that you are seeing is a combination of positive sentiments because of QE3 as also measures initiated by major rubber producing countries of production/export cuts to support the falling rubber pricesā€¦

Feel free to get back to me in case of any query.

Rgds.

Mahesh,

Would it be advisable to enter the scrip now or should we wait? The scrip has run up in the recent past, but it trades at discount to larger peers.

Regards

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for your promptly response. Rubber prices have crossed 190 again :frowning: ā€¦ It Seems that these tyre stocks and footwear stocks might see some correction in the short-term if the rubber prices sustain at these levels. However in the long term the story of relaxo remains pretty bullish.

Disc: Not holding at prices but looking forward to add upto 15% of my portfolio.