Nifty PE after all earnings have been declared

Dear Krishnaraj - when can we expect your valuable insights on nifty EPS basis earnings from Jan-Mar '19?

Bloomberg shows declining EPS
485 on 14-Nov-18 from post 103
442 on 14-Feb-19 from post 112
428 on 30-Apr-19 from site

Bloomberg data untrustworthy, since above pic shows 27.44 pe vs 18.5143 est pe (fwd), with Nifty at 11748 which mathematically requires 1 yr fwd EPS to rise to 634.5 ie ~50% increase when EPS seems declining.

Their est PE 18.5143 goes to 4 decimal places; such a joke, though maybe they deserve a clap for humour

I know this is irrelevant to this topicā€¦dont know where to postā€¦to know commentsā€¦

Will this create problems who is having shares in NSEā€¦All my shares buy and sell happened as of now in NSEā€¦platformā€¦

Please advise.

No this will have no impact on market operations

I will put it up once all results are declared, which should be sometime in May.

I have done some calculations & one can refer to my tweet as well.

2 Likes

Method of calculations has been changed post June 2009
Post June 2009 PE NSE Started Calculations based on Free Float Market Cap instead of Full Market Cap prior to this.

It will be great if you can add the free float based PE
calculation to your tweet.

Free Float is available at NSE website.
Iā€™m providing you forward data of Nifty Stocks
Hope that may help you
NIFTY 50 SHAREHOLDING PATTERN.pdf (90.1 KB)

My take on various factors that can distort the true market valuation/PE multiples

factor1:One 2009 Business standard article stating effect of free float methodology on index calculation by NSE

factor2:Add to that effect of RBI guideline for banks to reduce promoter holding of banks in phased manner thus increasing Free float of banks ,in below article The RBI licensing guidelines for new private sector banks 2013, calls for promoter holding to be brought down in phases, first to 40 per cent at the end of five years from the date of commencement of business operations.
Subsequently, it needs to be brought down to 20 per cent at the end of 10 years and 15 per cent at the end of 12 years. The 2016 guidelines calls for reduction in promoter shareholding to 15 per cent in 15 years.

FACTOR3:Add to above that banks can be valued at PE but P/B is better matrix

FACTOR4:Add to above that that NSE etc use standalone instead of consolidated earning to calculate PE , some detail in below articles

FACTOR5:Also the swing effect of earning from-ve to +ve for some companies like axis bank/ICICI/SBI as discussed in below link/tweet

FACTOR6:Also the argument about timing the market effectively

My Conclusion: Its better to focus on valuations of individual companies that we want to invest in than focus on all these mumbo jumbo

3 Likes

The TTM numbers, assuming them to be for Dec 2018, do not seem to match with declared results. Easy ones to pick are Tata Motors for instance, which declared a big loss resulting a TTM loss, but the figures you posted show a profit. Similarly for some of the others I saw.

I had attached an excel spreadsheet along with EPS computation showing figures for each Nifty constituent. Nifty PE Q3 FY19 for valuepickr_corrected.xlsx (27.8 KB). . You may compare with this sheet, which directly comes from SE filings.

2 Likes

Iā€™m totally agree with you.
Itā€™s a myth which has been created by some Analysts and Fund Managers.
Nobody care to tell us entire matrix of calculations is not comparable and itā€™s showing miscalculated pictures of real Market Valuations.
We should stick with the individual stocks.

Markets are far better valued now on

P/BV
Market Cap to GDP
Capacity Utilization
Debt level of Cos

1 Like

Hey Krishnaraj, huge election euphoria, which maybe now over?
Wondering if seat-belt sign is ON :slight_smile:

Any chance updating Indiaā€™s Nifty earnings? Thanks.

1 Like

Sure, once all Nifty firms declare their results. Some like Sun Pharma are all yet to come.

Cheers,

Folks,

Attached is the Nifty trailing 12 month PE (weighted) as at May 30, 2019 Nifty PE Q4 FY19 for valuepickr.xlsx (35.9 KB). .

1. My computation shows TTM Nifty PE at 26.10 on May 30, 2019 vs 24.83 about 3.5 months ago on Feb 14, 2019. Nifty grew by 11.20% and its earnings per share by 5.76% during the same period.

1. The numbers from Bloomberg is close on NIfty EPS and look like this:

1. Nifty PE multiple continues its expansion for 5 years running:

Feel free to ask for clarifications.

8 Likes

Thank you @diffsoft. This is very useful to understand relative heat. Do you have reference figures (computed by you or took for reference from another source for comparison) for nifty from 2007, prior to previous major bear market ? If yes, please share.

Hey,
Thanks for the excellent work. Where do you get the consolidate net profit figures. screener doesnā€™t provide for all the cos?
Thank you

No, I donā€™t have them

I get them from with ProwessIQ (subscription based) and from exchange filings. I have not used screener so far so I donā€™t know about it.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Well this might change free floating market cap and subsequently change Nifty PEā€¦?
1225 companies have promoter holding>65% as per screener

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 1.32.15 PM

3 Likes