Nesco

NESCO Ltd EQAXScore is 86 out of 100 and Exp. EQAXScore is 88 which is good.Expected EQAXScore based on quarterly results declared in current financial year.
Confidence Rating is 92 which is great,
The Confidence Rating indicates the confidence investors have in the company. It is calculated through BSE Group, Shareholding, Turnover and Dividends.

Price Rating is 52 ,which shows stock is little bit expensive,The Price Rating is a measure of how expensive a stock is with respect to its quality.

The Maharashtra government has announced more concessions for IT parks. This should benefit Nesco in a big way.

This is a report from the Hindustan TImes:

With an aim to boost the information technology (IT) sector in
Maharashtra, the state government’s new policy, announced on Tuesday, provides a hike in floor space index (up to 200% of the base FSI) for IT and IT-enabled services (IT/ITES).

The hike in the permissible FSI has been attributed to the loss of the industry to Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad. The policy provides an FSI of 2.5 for the Integrated Information Technology Townships that are coming up on a minimum of 25-acre plots in the state. The townships will also enjoy global FSI, which may allow exploitation of FSI up to 8 or even 9 in some cases.

FSI is the ratio of the total permissible built-up area to the size
of the plot. It is an indicator of how high a developer can build. The
townships and other IT/ITES units have also been offered exemptions from stamp duty, electricity duty, property tax, octroi or LBT, VAT and
works contract taxes.

To attract business process outsourcing (BPOs) in rural areas, the
policy has the provision of a capital subsidy of 20% on capital
investment, subsidy for training of employees and exemption from
payments of security deposits or earnest money.

“Cities like Bangalore and Hyderabad have been luring the IT/ITES
units by offering higher and unlimited FSI and the results were evident.
To be competitive, we have offered higher FSI, which is up to 200% of
the base FSI,” said chief minister Devendra Fadnavis, while unveiling
the policy.

Fadnavis said the government was expecting an investment of Rs 50,000 crore, the generation of about 1 million jobs and the export of
Rs1,00,000 crore in the next five years. He said tax holidays given to
the animation industry will help the government create job
opportunities.

He, however, said the government had also made stricter
provisions for penalty and recovery in case of misuse of the FSI and
benefits by utilisation for non-IT purposes. Fadnavis said the penalty
will be 0.3% of the ready reckoner prices a day of the areas where the
norms have been violated.

Apurva Chandra, principal secretary of industries minister, said the
state lost the opportunity of attracting global players like Flipkart,
which set up its unit with the potential of 20,000 jobs on a
two-million-square-foot space in Bangalore, because of the absence of an attractive policy. “Likewise, Chennai and Hyderabad have the provision of higher FSI up to 3.25 and in some cases unlimited development rights,” he said. “To curb the misuse of the incentive FSI, we have made it compulsory to put up all the information about the units online.”

While allowing 20% of the built-up area for support services in the
IT parks in big cities such as Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane, Pune and
Pimpri-Chinchwad among others, the government has prohibited commercial activities such as malls, theatres, residential apartments for sale to avoid the exploitation and misuse of the incentive FSI. In areas outside these cities, 40% of the built-up area has been permitted for support services.

3 Likes

Dear All,

Nesco is looking good on both valuation as well as growth front. By my concern is about their declining ROE.Promoters are not using cash properly as company is having Rs.389 crs of cash and cash equivalent. And company is producing only 28 crs from this investments means ROE on this investments is only 7%. This drags down company’s ROE significantly from 34% of ROE to 16%.
As Company’s profit before other income(interest income from cash) and tax is Rs.132 crs. Before tax. And total balance sheet size is Rs.677 crs- out of this company has cash and cash equivalent rs.389 crs so capital for operations is Rs.677-389 = 288 crs. ROE = 132/288 =47.6% before tax. Further company has Rs.100 crs work in progress that is for upcoming IT 4 building. So if you further subtract from Rs.288 it comes to Rs.188 crs. So ROE can be = 132/188= 70% before tax. Even operations are generating enough cash of around 80-100 crs a year so it can be use to further expansion. By distributing cash company can generate good ROE and further improve valuations of the company.

They are working on IT 4 and they have capex of about 300-350 crs for this building. they have already allocated Rs.100 crs for it and planning to get it into operations by FY18. I think current operations can easily generated that cash in next 3 yrs as it is generating cash at 80-100 crs a year.

So in upcoming AGM if we raise issue regarding this ask them to utilize cash in better way will be beneficiary to its owners.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

Prashant

Disc: Invested

Dear All,

Can anyone explain me this TDR issue? As MMRDA is doing TDR of Nesco’s 9970sqmt plot. Why MMRDA is doing TDR of Nesco’s plot?
link: http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/mmrda-to-gain-rs-150-cr-from-tdr-at-goregaon/

thanks

Prashant

2 Likes

the cash in hand includes security deposits collected from tenants in the towers. these obviously cannot be distributed to shareholders. we have to however find out home much of the cash is actually security deposits.

Last year Security deposits from Was about and other current liabilities was about Rs.90crs against Cash and cash equivalent of Rs.370Crs. ( From Annual report ARFy14).

Prashant

anyone attending the AGM on 3rd Aug?

Takeaways from Annual Report
FY15 revenues from IT buildings are up 90% YoY to Rs90.7crs
FY15 revenues from exhibition centre down 10% YoY to Rs85.9 (Wonder why?)
Company trying to secure approvals to expand exhibition centre from 0.45mn sqft to 1mn sqft
IT building 4 work has started. Rs99.8crs already spent on the same. Will have build up area of 1.72mn sqft. IT3 has build up area of 0.8mn sqft, leasable area of 0.63mn sqft and parking of 0.17mnsqft.
I have data suggesting IT4 will have leasable area of 1.2mnsqft (But dont know if this is correct)

If I assume Rs4000/sqft construction cost IT4 could cost Rs688crs. Company has Rs388crs in balance sheet currently and generates CFO of Rs125crs+ annually. This could be the reason why company is not giving dividends. This means investors will have to wait for IT4 before they start getting higher dividends.

The underlying ex cash RoCE of business is 100%+. So company can invest money in a business at high RoCE for now and till the Goregaon land lasts.

1 Like

Can you elaborate more about goregaon land? There was also an article in economic times about that.

Thanks in Advance

From outside the complex it appears that redevelopment work on one of the Exhibition centres is going on. That could be the reason why revenue is down in the exhibition business. Will have to ask the management at the AGM.

Management has a policy to use internal accruals to construct the buildings. So work on IT building 4 will continue as funds permit. Though management says building will be complete in two years they usually take three.

It remains to be seen how they carry out construction on the exhibition centre as well as IT building simultaneously without taking loans.

As for dividends, it is unlikely that payouts will increase in the near future. There is scope for major exploitation of the land bank and management plans to prudently demolish the old IT buildings 1 and 2 and construct high-rises in their place.

1 Like

Dear Venkatesh,

Nice observations from Annual reports. I had a recent conversation with company CFO, he mentioned that IT4 have a Capex of 300-350crs. and it will be 1.4 million sqft construction. It will be ready by 2018. As you have noticed that company is generating more than Rs.100crs cash from operating activities after tax. And if you add income from income from investments RS.25.29 crs. as shown in Cash flow statement. It will be Rs.102.63+25.29 = 127.92 crs cashflow for Fy2015 and Rs.133.88 for Fy14. So company is generating enough cashflow from operations to fund IT4. As they spend around Rs.160 crs for IT3 which is one of the best building with all facilities for the construction of 0.8 million sqft. So their Capex for IT 4 will be 300-350 crs for sure and they already allocated Rs.100 crs in FY15 so they need around Rs.250 crs in next 3 years for IT4. and if you count cash flow for next three years it will be easily more than Rs.300 crs. Now for expansion of Exhibition center i do not have their capex plan. If any one has that idea please post it or raise an question in AGM. I do not thing they will plan to redevelop IT1 and IT2 untill IT4 will be ready. As per my calculation company do not need this much of cash and cash equivalent of Rs.400 crs. As once IT4 will be ready it will further generate more cash to redevelop IT1 and IT2

Thanks
Prashant.

1 Like

cashflow year FY09 FY10 FY11 FY12 FY13 FY14 FY15
Operating Cashflow after Tax 1 43 78.41 72.55 55 117 103
income from investments 6.07 10.3 7.09 10.36 17.61 16.47 25.29
Total cashflow for compnay 7.07 53.3 85.5 82.91 72.61 133.47 128.29

so if you see average total cashflow for last five yrs :100.556 crs
Average cashflow for last 7yrs : 80.45 crs.

Regards,

Prashant

1 Like

If this is the case, they should be giving higher dividends. I understand not wanting to take debt. But piling up cash on books tends to lower RoCE and RoE which might put off potential investors in the stock.

I may be going. But still in 2 minds. Never attended an AGM before. Anybody else going?

-Barath.

Did anyone attend the AGM today? Any takeaways

AGM was held in one of the Exhibition Halls after a gap of two years. The last two AGMs were held in IT Building 3. Now the building is completely rented out with big names like HSBC, Blackrock/Blackstone and other marquee names as tenants.

Chairman Sumant Patel was on the chair and answered the questions of investors patiently.

Main takeaways:

IT Park

Clearing of land for IT Building 4 has begun. Construction will begin soon. Designed by an international firm of architects, the building will confirm to the LEEDS Green Building norms. Construction will be undertaken by Larsen and Toubro which built IT Building 3.

As mentioned earlier IT Building 4 will have 17 lakh sq ft built up area. It will be taller than IT 3 building which is just 8 lakh sq ft. Already Rs 95 cr have been spent in purchase of FSI/TDR for the building. Sumant Patel expects the building to be completed in two years’ time. (He said the same thing when IT Building 3 was being constructed, but construction took three years.)

For the first time management presented some kind of a roadmap on how it plans to use the land available with NESCO. Sumant Patel has indicated that there would be two more IT Buildings- that is ITB 5 and 6 and these would be much taller. NESCO will stand to benefit from the new Maharashtra government policy which allows for 200 per cent of base FSI for IT Parks.

When the land bank at NESCO is fully utilized, by current estimates, it will have an IT Park spread over 40 lakh sq ft built-up area. Patel said it is still not decided whether IT Buildings 1 and 2 would be redeveloped or whether ITB 5 and 6 would come up in available land. I got the feeling that they may redevelop the two old buildings after exhausting the land bank.

Bombay Exhibition Centre:

Revenues from Bombay Exhibition Centre fell in FY 2015 because of the downturn in the economy. Many exhibitions were cancelled and a few were combined as organizers were not getting response from exhibitors.

The situation is improving and more exhibitions are being held at NESCO this year.

The management is still negotiating with the Maharashtra government for permissions to develop the Bombay Exhibition Centre. Some clearances had come from the previous Congress government, but talks are being held with the present government to complete the process. (This problem is familiar to all those in the real estate business. Politicians will always look into the clearances given by previous governments.)

At present Bombay Exhibition Centre is scattered over several halls spread throughout the NESCO complex. These will make way for multi-storeyed exhibition centres which will have a total area of 15 lakh sq ft when complete. The Maharashtra government has allowed hotels to be part of exhibition centres, but NESCO management is not very keen on building a hotel because of poor economics. But they may consider a four-star hotel if required, Sumant Patel said.

Nesco Hospitality

As promised in earlier AGMs, the management has put up at least two food courts - one near the exhibition centre and another at IT Building 3 under the NESCO Hospitality subsidiary. Several big brand names including niche companies have set up shop at the food court which is basically an open air facility with overhead tarpaulin during the monsoons. With several young people flocking to the complex, these establishments are expected to become very profitable in the coming years.

NESCO Hospitality has also tied up with Kangaroo Kids to set up child care faclities for children of employees working in the IT offices.

Patel indicated that the subsidiary would be entering the entire hospitality value chain.

Indabrator

The capital goods division of NESCO has received good orders with the turning of the business cycle and is expected to be very profitable.

Other takeaways:

There was persistent demand for bonus shares and higher dividends. But Patel said funds were required for further expansion of NESCO Park.

I asked him about the Rs 400 crore worth of investments in the balance sheet. Patel replied saying the funds were required for constructing IT Park 5 and 6. I told him his projects were proceeding so slowly it would be at least ten years before IT Park 5 and 6 and free cash flow thrown by existing businesses alone would help fund capex. Patel replied saying things would move a lot faster now and ITB4 would be ready in two years and work on the other two buildings would also begin soon.

Other observations;

I reached the venue 30 minutes early and used the time to go around the premises since it the weather was pleasant. (It rained during the past AGMs). With ITB 3 completed the entire area resembled a lively college campus with many young people hanging around smoking and chitchatting.

ITB 3 occupies just five per cent of physical land area. The land being cleared for ITB4 falls at the back of ITB 3 and extends towards the end of the plot taking an ‘L’ shape. I got the feeling that the management wants to prevent giving away land to the municipality for road expansion and hence the built-up area is at the edges of the plot leaving the centre open for roads, gardens and other civic amenities.

I may have missed a few points, so I will post them as and when I they are available.

9 Likes

I re-looked at the AR for this year today and was not too sure about a couple of things…

1. They have shown an expense of 8 Crs towards Rates, Taxes, Water charges & Service Tax. The same charge for the last year was 1.2 Crs. Why is there a huge jump in this expense? This is significant, considering it works out to about 7% of the company’s PAT for the last year!!

2. Contribution to political parties & donations of about 3.2 Crs. Probably “contribution” towards the FSI & building approvals. Maybe this should be treated as an investment rather than an expense.

Would appreciate if somebody in the know-how can elaborate on the above 2 pointers.

Hi shivkumar
any discussion on the competitive threat from the new convention centre coming up at BKC and how the management plans to respond to it ?

Fantastic. Thanks for the takeaways.

no. i had planned to ask but forgot.