Need Review - my folio

Dear fellow boarders…I’m new to the forum and need your expert inputs my folio…I know i need to reduce the count of stocks and would be thankful for any inputs/views to improve the folio returns.

Thanks!!

many stocks in small quantity are free holdings… so kindly guide if I should book profit in those or keep them holding as well.

It would be welcome if you could put up a few lines about your investment thesis in each of the stocks you own, or in the stocks in which you are the most bullish.

Among the list put up by you, I own and like KCP Ltd. Among the rest there are quite a few interesting companies but a lot many other duds like mtnl, moschip etc which you could get rid of to reduce the no of shares to a more monitorable level.

rgds
hitesh.

Hi GKG,

Investment process always starts with a philosophy which is more important than even stock selection and the weightages. So first you should detail and know why you have been buying a particular type of stocks, do you really have a good idea about these many stocks, have you used such products and services to be able to form a knowledgable opinion and so on and so forth.

Secondly, prima facie your portfolio is excessively diversified. If a retail investor like you has to be so diversified, you might just invest in a diversified Mutual fund or an index rather than take so much pain.

Thirdly, your portfolio has mostly small caps - this is when BSE small cap index is up 6x in the last 3-4 years. So a retail investor who is excessively present in small caps without having a good idea about the same is likely to be burnt very badly because valuations are looking peakish today. Many of the stocks which never used to command more than 10 P/E are today being touted as cheap at 20 P/E. So I would suggest changing your exposure towards large caps.

Many more thoughts are there in my mind but owing to time constraints, these are my prilimnary observations.

2 Likes

Thank you so much sir for the prompt response…
below are my inputs/thought process behind these picks…

Long term holdings (5+ years):
3MIndia – Unique product mix/ long history of innovation/
ABFRL – good mix of brands/ consumer demand of urban india
ATUL – long history of the consistent growth
EicherMot – increasing numbers in CV and bikes market
EmamiLtd – consumer play/able management and good product mix
NBCC – debt free PSU/kind of monopoly for Govt infra work
STERTOOLS, SADBHIN, APARINDS – future demand/infra story
Delta, wonderla - urban entertainment…seems promising demand and growth in future

Others:
ASTRAMICRO – defense play
BINANIIND – possibility of value unlocking
DLF – very old holding based on housing demand that time
GATI – based on dolly Khanna blog
GDL – expect to see good growth
HDIL – Infra story
Justdial – consumer story / got in @ peak
KCP - based on dolly Khanna blog
KESORAMIND - based on dolly Khanna blog
KITEX – consumer story
KothariPet - based on dolly Khanna blog
LASA - based on dolly Khanna blog
MCLEODRUSS – tea export
MTNL – need to sell
OMKARCHEM - based on dolly Khanna blog
ORIENTPPR - based on dolly Khanna blog/ demerger story
PENIND - based on dolly Khanna blog
SHK – unique company in perfume export
SHREEPUSHK - based on dolly Khanna blog
SUDARSCHEM – chemical play clone from Vijay Kedia Sir
UNITECH - very old holding based on housing demand that time

rest of them are free holdings which I might sell any time.

Thank you @8sarveshg for your valuable inputs…I would try to implement your last point.

I quite like your idea of cloning. If you have a good idea about whom you are cloning and have a definite idea about investment merits of the company, its quite rewarding as I can see from your PF.

About old holdings still being in PF, its never too late to sell them. In case of losers its always a good idea to cut them off as early as possible although sometimes you might be proven wrong and stock might go up a lot. But as investors these are things we always have to learn to live with.

5 Likes

Thank you @hitesh2710 sir!!.. I need your inputs about increasing my stake in Delta and Wonderla…going through the VP thread as well…

SCRIP CODE Allocation
3MINDIA 15.79%
STAR 15.39%
NBCC 10.45%
NITINSPIN 7.22%
KCP 6.19%
TATAMOTORS 3.78%
EQUITAS 3.65%
STERTOOLS 2.97%
KESORAMIND 2.68%
DeltaCorp 2.50%
Voltas 2.31%
BEL 2.03%
ABFRL 2.00%
QUESS 1.95%
GATI 1.84%
Astral 1.78%
PENIND 1.65%
HDFC 1.38%
LGBBROSLTD 1.23%
PEL 1.22%
GDL 1.01%
SHREEPUSHK 0.94%
IBULHSGFIN 0.71%
EicherMot 0.63%
TTKPrestig 0.60%
DCAL 0.58%
GodrejProp 0.57%
Manugraph 0.50%
SHK 0.50%
Alphageo 0.49%
DLF 0.48%
Waterbase 0.47%
Wonderla 0.44%
GRUH 0.39%
RAIN 0.37%
HINDOILEXP 0.32%
SURYAROSNI 0.32%
OLECTRA 0.31%
RAMASTEEL 0.28%
INFY 0.23%
ROHLTD 0.23%
GANESHHOUC 0.22%
Monsanto 0.20%
TALBROAUTO 0.15%
HIMATSEIDE 0.13%
PIDILITIND 0.12%
UNITECH 0.11%
REPCOHOME 0.11%
DONEAR 0.11%
COMPINFO 0.09%
Mercator 0.09%
JUBLINDS 0.09%
VadilalInd 0.08%
AtulAuto 0.07%
Chromatic 0.05%
Grand Total 100.00%

SCRIP CODE SUM of Value today
HDFC 16.10%
HDFCBANK 14.45%
PNB 10.42%
DABUR 7.66%
IGL 6.63%
HINDUNILVR 6.17%
INFY 5.71%
3MINDIA 5.37%
NBCC 4.17%
TATAMOTORS 3.39%
STAR 2.53%
NITINSPIN 2.20%
BATAINDIA 2.16%
Astral 2.03%
Voltas 1.42%
ITC 1.28%
EQUITAS 1.14%
TCS 1.08%
BAJAJFINSV 1.06%
STERTOOLS 0.92%
RELAXO 0.67%
KESORAMIND 0.65%
QUESS 0.63%
KCP 0.35%
OLECTRA 0.34%
GodrejProp 0.34%
NESTLEIND 0.32%
NAUKRI 0.30%
RAIN 0.24%
Alphageo 0.13%
BIRLATYRE 0.07%
IBULHSGFIN 0.05%
YESBANK 0.03%

Intend to move to more concentrated folio with less than 10 scrips from different sectors (usually within top 2 sector leaders)