Navneet Publications - a good com in education sector

Q1/Fy 13-14 Results out…

Total Income up 10.5% to 395.74 Cr from 358.2 Cr.
EBIDTA up 2% to 116.18 Cr from 113.95 Cr.
Net Profit DOWN 1.1% to 71.01 Cr from 71.8 Cr.

EBIDTA margin is 29.4% v/s 16.7% (MQ-13) and 31.8% (JQ-12)
NET Profit margin is 17.9% v/s 8% (MQ-13) and 20% (JQ-12)

Total Raw material costs as a %ge to Income is 53.4% v/s 45.4% (MQ-13) and 51.4% (JQ-12)
Employee costs to Income is 4.4% v/s 9.9% (MQ-13) and 4.3% (JQ-12)
Other expenses to Income is 12.9% v/s 28% (MQ-13) and 12.5% (JQ-12)

Financial costs to EBIT is 3.8% v/s 9.1% (MQ-13) and 3.7% (JQ-12)
Tax Rate 34% v/s 36.7% (MQ-13) and 32.2% (JQ-12)

SEGMENTS (with Contribution to Sales%):
PUBLICATIONS (63%): Sales up 11.7%, PBIT up 8.7%, margin 40% v/s 20.3% (MQ-13) and 41.1% (JQ-12)
STATIONARY (36%): Sales up 9.1%, PBIT DOWN 14.5%, margin 13.2% v/s 17% (MQ-13) and 16.9% (JQ-12)

EPS 2.98 v/s 3.01

At 03:10 pm on 06/08/2013, stock on BSE trading at Rs. 54.50/- DOWN 3.4%
(Sensex down over 450 points)

Results came out and are not so encouraging,

Revenue - 39574 lacs Vs 35820 growth 10%

PAT - 7101 Vs 7108

EPs - 2.98 Vs 3.01

Inventory has shown a stiffgrowthfrom 5664 to 9790, so may be the spill over of book purchases due to delay in syllabus release, which we discussed earlier is coming true.

But i think overall the downfall in market is presenting better opportunities compared to this.

so, i sold out today.

Even I sold out today after looking at results… Dissapointed with the sales growth.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Classmate-brand-from-ITC-crosses-1k-cr-mark/articleshow/28814318.cms

I guess this ‘dereservation’ will bode well for Navneet as well. Not heard anything from the Navneet management on this front though.

Hi,
I read the thread and saw that the 1000 crore topline was kind of a benchmark for the company, but as per screener.in figures, the company has not been able to cross it as of yet. Looking at it now, the TTM standalone sales stand at Rs1029 crore, if the company reports sales over Rs1000 crore for FY16-17, will this act as a trigger for the share price? Looking that the share price hasn’t grown much in the past.

Hi, I am not tracking Navneet now

Okay, thanks :slight_smile:

There’s an element of discretionary spending in terms of the guide books. This leads me to believe that if demonetisation is not effectively resolved till around Jan end or so, there’s a chance that people will not buy the guides or will buy fewer than they would otherwise buy. (Most people on this forum are fairly well to do, think in terms of the common man please). Since the Mar Q is quite important but Jun Q generates max sales, my guess is that there is bound to be some impact but not a catastrophic one.

Buyback at 125 levels is certainly a promising sign.

However, longer term, navneet has an unassailable brand. 20yrs ago I was using their guides and people still use them. Compared to tuitions and classes, these are small expenses so I don’t see a major threat to their business model. Esense and stationary are ventures they can afford to experiment with and even if they don’t succeed hugely, given conservative mgmt, overall free cash flow is nearly certain and also it’s a recession proof business.

Disc: long, prepared to buy more on dips. Biased :wink:

2 Likes

Investment Thesis - Long
Date : 13 June 2018

Navneet Education Limited is in 2 lines of businesses – Publication (since 1959) and Stationary (since 1993) and is based out of Mumbai.

1. Publishing Business

The business contributes 55% to company’s total revenue (80% to profits) as of Mar 2018. Company is a publisher of workbooks (48%), supplementary material like Guides/Digests (35%), and last minute revision material (17%) catering to students from Grade 1 to Grade 12 studying in the state board schools of Gujarat and Maharashtra.

Of the above, workbooks are prescribed by schools, and thus the company has a marketing team of 350 members (as of 2016) who convince schools to prescribe Navneet workbooks as a part of student’s curriculum.

Reference Guides are suggested by school teachers or the tuition teachers and the choice is generally based on the content, author and some level of social proof (tend to stick with the known names since reference books are in addition to the normal textbooks and purchase rarely exceeds more than 1 reference book per subject)

Company’s “21 most likely questions” are last minute revision sets that are targeted to 10th and 12th Board exam aspirants since they cover a subject in a concise manner such that the entire subject can be revised in 1-2 days, and continue to remain the top selling revision sets over the years.

Long standing association with schools along with focus only on 2 state boards has resulted in the company having a market share of 70% in Gujarat and 65% in Maharashtra in their addressable markets, with low competitive intensity as can be seen from below -

Due to their size, NELI is one of the few publishers that have a variable royalty model with the authors wherein royalties are paid at a rate of 2-8% of the sales value (average royalty – 3.5%), while the industry practice is of payment of a lumpsum royalty. This not only helps in creating a stronger cost structure, but it also creates a network effect in terms of attracting new authors, since addition of a new author on Navneet’s roster leads to increase in sales and increase in sales brings in even more authors lured by the variable pay.
Below is the comparison of the cost structure of Navneet with S. Chand, pan India CBSE publisher -

As of Mar 2017, company has a total of 225 authors on its roster (some being retired school principals, exam setters, etc.), while as of 2014, they had retail touch points of 60,000.

1. Stationery Business -

94% of company’s stationery business is related to paper stationary like notebooks, drawing books etc. (55% - Domestic and 45% - Export) while the remaining 6% includes pencils, erasers, crayons, etc. (all domestic)
The organized paper stationery market in India is only 20% of the total INR 100b market with ITC (Classmate) and Navneet being the top 2 players. ITC has been gaining market share over the years on account of high spend on Advt. and higher margins and credit period to dealers (its total market still 4%, while NELI has 1.4%).

In the export, 73% of the company’s exports are made to US (Walmart pvt label being a major customer), with remaining exports in EU and Africa. 100% export stationary is manufactured in house, while 50% is outsourced in domestic business. Exchange rate fluctuations and paper prices are important factors for this low margin business (10 year Average margins – 10.6%) and there is no competitive advantage here. The retail touchpoints total 85,000 in India.

Risks to an investment in Navneet -

1. Acquisitions

a. K12 Techno - In 2011, company acquired 25% stake in international school chain K-12 Techno Services (manages Orchid International schools) for 488mn (7% of 2017 NW), which has been loss making currently.

b. Britannica – in Dec 2016, company purchased the curriculum business of Encyclopaedia Britannica (India) Pvt. Ltd. For 762mn (11% of 2017 NW). This division publishes content for CBSE and is currently used by 6,000+ schools and 5mn students. Based on FY2016 financials, this is a low margin business (3%) with NELI paying 1.1x Sales and 33x PE.

c. Company has been increasing its in house investments in e-learning (digitizing its content and offering to students through hardware), committing 1,566 mn (23% of 2017 NW). Although the sales have been growing at 30% CAGR since 2011, the division has not yet broken even and as yet, is making losses.
2. In 2017, the government mandated all state education boards to follow uniform Math and Science syllabus. The same might leave NELI open to competition from national level content providers.

However, the above can be mitigated with vernacular expertise (80% students study in te state specific language) and the existing author school relationships.

1. Syllabus Changes
    Since 2nd hand books are the biggest competitors to NELI’s current sales, syllabus changes bring in the bulk of the revenues and any shift in syllabus change timeline (currently once in 6 years) may lead to decline in revenues for the company.

Other important points –

1. In case of Navneet, the adverse M Score overstates the chances of manipulation. More than 50% of company’s revenues are clocked in June quarter, due to start of the school term investments in inventory and receivables in March is very high.

2. In its last 23 years, company has never earned below cost of capital, has paid a dividend in all years and has SD of 3.5% over average RoNW of 24%.

3. Due to the change in syllabus once in 6 years as mentioned above, the company’s revenues grow in a non – linear manner with 2 years of soft revenue and 1 year of strong revenues (when syllabi of multiple years change), as can be seen from below –

Valuation: Naive DCF with the following assumptions -

EPS Growth Rate - 13%
FCF/EPS Ratio - 45%
Terminal Multiple 14x
Starting EPS - 9.4

The valuation band comes to 80 - 160 after applying 35% MoS to the DCF value, and with CMP of 130, a case for an investment can be made.

8 Likes

Hi Folks,

Just read through the topic.

I have been mulling over this one point. I can read a lot about NCERT text books v/s the private publishers. Looks like the private publisher text books are mostly 3-4x of that of NCERT text books. Some time last year, MoHRD made NCERT text books mandatory for CBSE schools and banned them from using private publishers text books. CBSE released a circular following this. This is after widespread complaints from the students and parents that the schools (mostly private schools) are forcing them to buy private text books which are must costlier. Schools are even opening small couters of publishers on the site and sell costlier stationery items bundled.

However again recently CBSE did a sudden U-Turn and cancelled the earlier circular. And the MoS HRD updated in the Rajya Sabha that there is no such rule of mandatory NCERT text books, the schools are free to choose.

One cant be blamed for doubting a collusion between the schools and the private publishers, resulting from the incentives or commissions - either to the school or to the sales agents.

If this is true, it is a serious issue and an ethical one. I believe Navneet is more into state boards however they are trying to go more into CBSE. And there is an increasing trend of centralization of boards, with more schools migrating to CBSE.

I am trying to see how rampant this issue of schools exhorting students and private publishers exploiting them. Questions in my mind:

1. I believe students vouch by the better quality of private text books however if there is such a huge difference in price, how can the poor and middle class afford the private text books.

2. Even if the private text books are far superior, if the collusion and the resulting overpricing and exploitation is rampant, how can one morally support such a business by investing in it?

3. How is Navneet which is the case in point and the major other competitors like S Chand, faring in this matter? Are their books fairly priced for the superior quality?

The private publishers enjoy good margins, however if this is due to such a collusion, how will it be sustained. There will be some clamp down at some point in time.

There is a moneylife article on this:

Appreciate your views on this.

Thank you.
Johns George

4 Likes

Great explanation. Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of questions for you if you are still following this company (I welcome views from others familiar with Navneet as well)

Do you think Ed-tech companies like Byju’s (Well funded and valued at $9 billion) will be a threat to their publications business?

I know that they have been expanding their stationary exports. I think they are well placed to multiply those numbers because of their pre-existing relationships with Walmart and Target, who will now find more options to substitute Chinese stationary items. Do you any substance in that thesis?

hi @Pavandeep_Singh

yes, i continue tracking this company since it forms a part of my portfolio.

1. with respect to Byjus, i think they have some of their own issues (https://the-ken.com/story/the-loan-crisis-at-byjus/) and as banning on online schools from Class 1 - 7 in Karnataka shows, digital learning in children cannot replace the actual classroom experience.
    Having said that, Covid has clearly given an impetus for a lot of digital formats to work out and something might end up sticking for the long term, replacing Navneet. However, bulk of company’s revenues come from vernacular which has not been affected by online to a large extent.
    Further, Navneet has nearly lost this year since bulk of its publishing sales and profits come in June quarter and with schools closed in Mah and Guj, the severely affected states, i doubt any of these revenues would come back.

2. to be honest, i dont find their stationary business to be as good as publishing since most of these sales are B2b and solely determined by the price at which Navneet can supply. Even if Navneet can replace papaer coming from China, i dont think ut can improve the margins to such a large extent, despite increasing the sales base.
    What i have been happy with is that they have been prudent in expanding the stationary business and have preferred margins over sales growth. Further, when paper prices shot up significantly in 2018, they were largely unharmed.

trust this was helpful.

Disclosre: i hold. this is not a reco.

@bozo_investor That’s really helpful. Actually I am not too worried about the traditional publications segment as Navneet serves the masses and it will take some time for them to shift to digital books (this has not even happened in most developed countries). What I think is that the acquisitions they made in the e-learning space will not hold up. They will definitely be disrupted there by some well funded company. I think the growth can take place through either of these two avenues:

1. The Indiannica division might get them inroads into the larger market, however, I am not so sure as to how they will stand up against the larger currently existing publishers in CBSE.

2. The stationary exports might gain traction because of the China issue but as you said, this is a very commodity-like product and there might not be a lot of headroom to grow here. However, even without the China tailwinds, they have been growing the stationary export segment quite handsomely while maintaining margins, and this can continue.

Additionally I see that you have held this stock through the downfall (it has lost maybe 70% of the price). Do you feel the market has been unfair to Navneet, as they have no corporate governance issues, have shown growth and have such great return ratios? Thank you.

hi @Pavandeep_Singh

agreed with your points.
from what i understand, their e-learning business eSense has not been acquired, but has been built in house. if Byju cannot disrupt the school going experience , i doubt anyone else can (only 46 listed companies of all the ones listed are more valuable than Byjus o_o).

in fact, i think their 2 acquisitions havent been very good capital allocation -

Acquisitions Price per share Rationale View
School business 488 2 “with the partnership with K12, we see an excellent opportunity to service this market and improve the quality of education delivery at affordable prices” poor capital allocation as later the affordable school segment was hived off and currently the business has 10 international schools and the returns of the company are poor.
CBSE Curriculum Business 1566 7 “The coming together of the two companies will help enhance Navneet’s footprint and access to newer markets. It will also significantly augment Navneet’s intellectual property.” Neutral. Positives - increase in school footprint, technical support in digital content from Britannica UK and no incremental investments expected. Negatives - low margin business, customers with different purchase habits.

in their 2019 AGM, even the mgmt admitted that the britannica acquisition hasnt panned out as well as they had thought, but were quite gungho about the school business.

no view on the stationary business since i still dont understand where they are getting an advantage / what returns on capital they are earning.

in indian markets, ITC proved to be a strong competitor in stationary to an extent that they had to scale down to 8 states from 15+ states earlier.

yes, i have an unrealized loss of almost 50% on the stock currently. I think i am no one to comment on how the market values a certain business. However, i hold these points to be true for me -

1. above CoC returns since 1990s.
  2. overall growth in business has been 14% and i think that will continue at this only. so buy price 120 did not factor much upside from rerating.
  3. there is significant lumpiness in the company’s revenues, with boost once in 3 years as 9th and 10th syllabi change.

so will continue to monitor the business and see how it pans out. i doubt i can make 15% CAGR in the next 5 years from the stock, but it’ll be interesting to know what went wrong in my assessment.

trust this helps.
Umang

6 Likes

It would be good to have some expert review on the impact of the new education policy on this stock.

I understand with new syllabus, there is going to be major changes in books, and which means more business??

Anyone still tracking this stock? With schools expected to re-open in hopefully couple of months, things should start getting back on track.
Even if we discard the impact of NEP, a normal FY22 would mean that the company is availlable at a 10 PE multiple of FY22 earnings. Seems like a value buy.
Prabhudas Liladher recently came up with a research report. Attaching the same here.43175-10742e5a9f184c68abfa9c173c7053b3.pdf (757.6 KB)

2 Likes

I am a absolute rookie. My understanding is by the gut:
CHARITY is navneet groups MO
Navneet has massive residential complex of 26 1RK highrise buildings in Dombivli: available to jains for staying as long as they want: at a deposit and no rent. you can vacate it and move on but you cannot sell it to anyone.

They have Hira Moongi hospital Mulund, Mahavir hospital Dombivli : doctors offer treatment at charitable rates but high volumes of patients / subsidies/ tax benefits make sure that overheads break even

Their management has been fairly good to retail investors. Many mutual funds are invested in it so its a safe bet.

So basically when everyone likes to buy fancier, more appreciative brands, i think this co to stock market is like wagonR is to cars: its worth what it costs, fairly reliable and “boring”

I like boring because boring is sensible and predictable

3 Likes

Board consider Buy-back:

Naveneet publications acquired 14.29% stake in SFA Sporting Services Pvt Ltd for 75cr.

SFA had a turnover of only Rs 39 lakhs in the year ended March 2018, which rose to 5.28 cr in FY19 and Rs 7.33 cr in FY20

I am tracking Navneet for quite sometime but not invested. They have done few acquisitions in this year but I couldn’t understand the rationale behind the price they paid for SFA. If any one has some idea, please throw light on this.

1 Like