Manappuram Finance

There exists a section in Pat Dorsey’s book - The five rules of successful stock investing which was very well written and can help you. I could not paste the section here, but could find the note by same author on same topic at following link.

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=106836

Hopefully this will help to self discover the answer.

3 Likes

Big breakout on the daily charts. If it manages to remain at these levels tomorrow, it will confirm a breakout on the weekly as well.

4 Likes

If you are not running a PMS or MF scheme, you are answerable to yourself. Too much of good thing is actually good at times. At one time I had only two stocks Page and Hawkins. Page was 60% and it went up 6x and in hindsight I was a fool to exit completely at 14k. I had a process to determine sale and Page was a perfect fit at that time. My basic model showed me <20% CAGR for 3 yrs but the market is supreme. My learning is if something is doing well, let’s don’t disturb. I will never give 60% allocation to manappuram due to its multiple risks to its biz model. I will tolerate upto 40% only in the condition that earnings are catching up adequately.

Disc: 17% allocation

4 Likes

Irrespective of how good the company is or how well it is expected to do; 37% in one company is not a good position to hold.

2 Likes

I believe a concrete statement that 37% is not a good position to hold irrespective how good a company is not appropriate. It’s quite subjective. Buffet once said:

"Charlie and I operated mostly with five positions. If I were running 50, 100, 200 million, I would have 80 per cent in five positions, with 25 per cent for the largest. In 1964, I found a position I was willing to go heavier into, up to 40 per cent. I told investors they could pull their money out. None did. The position was American Express after the Salad Oil Scandal. In 1951, I put the bulk of my net worth into GEICO. Later in 1998, LTCM was in trouble. With the spread between the on-the-run versus off-the-run 30-year treasury bonds, I would have been willing to put 75 per cent of my portfolio into it. There were various times I would have gone up to 75 per cent, even in the past few years. If it’s your game and you really know your business, you can load up.”

4 Likes

I do agree it is subjective. If one is at peace and is able to sleep well while holding such a position the it is absolutely okay.

Fact that @maheshkumar made a post here despite of sitting on a good profit means that he is not very comfortable with the position (I could be wrong, if he can clarify, and will stand corrected).

If I have 37% money in one company, I will have to make sure that out of all my time spent on stock research I have spent 37% time on that company to keep a strong conviction.

As for WB quote, most people are not WB. What worked for him may not work for us.

(In 2014, I had a concentrated portfolio of 3 stocks and while I made a lot of money, I was definitely restless during that time.)

1 Like

Yes of course, all are not WB and may be no one can. And that is the reason I say it’s quite subjective and a concrete statement isn’t appropriate(not saying it’s incorrect). It’s just an example that I have quoted there in support of my statement, I’m not being specific here. May be that’s a view point derived from your personal experience, and it need not be same for everyone in the same way as you said what worked for WB might not work for everyone.

I personally don’t let price gyrations affect the sell decision. I would sell when -

1. Fundamentals of the business have deteriorated.
  2. Thesis which led to buy decision is not valid anymore.
  3. There is an alternate investment opportunity with ‘much - much’ better potential return than the existing position (especially when investor has limited investable surplus)

Disclosure: Manappuram is 45% of my stock portfolio. No intention to sell.

3 Likes

I agree with @Vikrantydv and @KalyanKool on this. A stock shouldnt be sold just because the price has gone up.

Specifically for this case, in my opinion this is just the beginning. Manappuram is an excellent business franchise which has been plagued by temporary problems such as demonetisation and GST. There are multiple triggers in place for this business - a depressed valuation is just one of them. The growth prospects of gold loan business are bright as well. Even if the price of gold remains stable at these levels, organized players can take market share away from unorganized sector which still accounts for majority of the market. And if the price of gold starts going up, Manappuram will benefit disproportionately.

Although you have to build your own conviction, but if I was you I would not sell.

Disc: Invested and adding more.

5 Likes

The recent breakout was on a speculation. So hold tight, there’s no reason to sell (as per me).

mangement response:
http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/88060c38-e312-4c71-846e-3351e754e221.pdf

Disc: Invested

2 Likes

I think the management has quickly clarified as the promoter has been buying from the market and maybe even looking to add more.

1 Like

Manappuram Finance’s long term weekly chart (10 year)

4 Likes

Sorry, what does this chart mean? a 10 Yr breakout? what are the implications if yes?

3 Likes

It’s basically a breakout of the stock’s price from a flat trading range (this makes better sense from a one-year perspective, during which period the stock has been trading roughly between 90 and 110). The breakout is probably a sign that the market is ready to bid up the stock higher (towards its fair value).

3 Likes

KPMG report predicts that value of organised gold loan market in India will grow to Rs 310100 crore by 2020 at a three year compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13.7 per cent.

3 Likes

Shareholding pattern is out a while back and DSP Black Rock Micro Cap fund has increased stake from 1.38 to 2.22. Dolly Khanna’s stake remains unchanged.

AIM/Hedge funds have increased stake, Quinag increased and no. of shareholders declined by 3k. All point to further positive consolidation.

4 Likes

Board meeting on 23rd to discuss investment proposals. Al though the disclosure doesn’t explicitly clarify on the term ‘investment proposals’. I am assuming it is related to someone buying a stake or taking over the company. Also the board meeting is happening in Mumbai rather than Kerala.

http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/341b44bb-23de-46b5-8128-89a9e2d21c24.pdf

2 Likes

The only problem is I am not clear if Manappuram going to invest or other way round? THere are some board meeting that day and prominent ones include Edelweiss and RBL. I think operationwise RBL is a perfect fit while Edelweiss has different client base compared with Mamnappuram.

Disc - Invested in Mana and Edel

1 Like

They said “investment proposals”. I think this will be some entities willing to invest in mana. Even i thought it cd be mana investing in some other company (inorganic), but more than one proposal makes me bend towards more than one company buying stake in mf. All speculative, and i can be completely wrong.