Mahesh's Portfolio

The returns of the portfolio came down to 6.9% in this ongoing fall. The problem that I’m facing is that left with no money to invest when there’s a big fall like this. Have to wait till the next payday!. Maybe that’s the price one has to pay for remaining invested all the time in equities.
So thinking seriously about SIPping a small amount (5% of my monthly investible ammount) in a debt fund on a monthly basis with a thought of using the corpus to invest in stocks only with a fall in NIFTY of > 10%. It will be a great help if anyone who’s doing it could throw some light on your experience.

I have a diversified portfolio too, but not as big as your’s. I have invested in a few stocks purely looking at numbers, did not do any kind of research. So, as I had gained a year of experience, when the markets are down, I started selling off these un-researched stocks and started investing in the stocks I have conviction in, I think I am doing the correct thing. You may consider it.

Thanks @chaitanyaC for the response. Yes I too did that to a certain extent.

Update on the portfolio:
The overall return is 4.5%. byke hospitality has fallen so much that it’s investment has become negligible. Many others have fallen, but luckily till now didn’t have any corporate issues or scams.
As the majority of the investment was done in the last three years and mostly from mid cap it took a toll on the return. (In addition to the monthly investment, had been adding stocks). Understood the hard way the need to have some giant cap and large cap for portfolio for stability.

Started a SIP in the following stocks in the last eight months in addition to the existing portfolio.

1. TCS
  2. HDFC bank
  3. Asian paints
  4. Britannia
  5. Pidilite
  6. Nestle
  7. P and G
  8. L and T

All of the above names were always in my watchlist since 2012 when I started stock investing but everytime they looked expensive. So adding them monthly without any emotions attached.

1 Like