Kesar Terminals and Infrastructure Ltd

@Aksh,

Thanks for the posting the link on KMLL - They have posted new pictures - the progress is substantially better than the last pictures they had posted about 4-5 months ago.

If anyone has had the opportunity/would be willing to look at visiting Pawarkheda, it would further add to our confidence and conviction - There was a member on MMB that was suggesting that he might be visiting this place soon, so let’s wait to see if he/anyone else would provide us insights on the visit to the location.

@Biju,

Pls have a look on google maps on the locations of Pawarkheda station and the KMLL site. You would observe that this is strategically chosen and locatedright besides the station and on one side and NH 69 on the other side. As per the new photos uploaded on KMLL website, the rail slidings are already in place now. We will try to see if we can get inputs on if they need to pay any rent for these - Our understanding is that they may not need to/don’t have to since the railways is a key party to the BOT project. Secondly, the business model would have safeguards to allow them to pay and capitalize for the infrastructureeven if it ends up getting underutilized.If you have information that will help us understand this, pls do share it.

Link: http://kesarmultimodal.com/gallery.html

Though KMLL site is very well strategically located between a railway line and NH 69, I have a question (I know it may sound stupid). As per Google maps, the site look far from civilization and I have security concerns. Has KMLL given have information on safety and insurance?

@Harbin,

Pls keep us posted if this member on MMB visits the site and gets some useful insights about on the ground realities.

Do we have any member here on VP from Hashangabad Dist., MP who can help with this pls?

@Vivek Kumar,

Valid points. I don’t have any specifics on your concerns but I’m sure mgmt would have taken appropriate measures with regards to insurance etc. as this is a standard industry practice. I’ll update you if I have any specifics.

@All,

Sharing few more links on actual project site of “Composite Logistics Hub”…

Pawarkheda where the project is located:

Itarsi, near by railway junction:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itarsi

I think this is the actual project site:

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@22.6684484,77.7521947,1557m/data=!3m1!1e3

Apart from this, I’m trying to reach out to some contacts who can provide some insights into the project specifics and on the ground realities. I’ll keep you all posted.

Meanwhile, stock is showing strong uptrend with good volumes. It touched an all time high of 359 today, breaking out of resistance of previous high of 325, and if not for overall declining market, it would have closed even higher. Anybody with technical know-how can provide potential upside/downside from here pls?

Draft concession agreement for Composite Logistics Hub at Pawarkheda (not sure if this is the latest one)

http://www.mpwarehousing.com/TENDER/File_48.pdf

1 Like

hi all, doing my best to get more info but sometime it gets difficult to reach people as they are busy with work,i am invested in ktil for long term, i will wait for development/qtly results.

The photos were indeed good to see @ kmll website.The stock has moved above the pivot line, macd charts show strength, the technical charts show -pivot @338,r1 at 362, r2 at381 with a stop loss at 309.Targets could be 371,428,486 for long term.All the best investors

Stocks when recommended by a blogger usually go up for the first two-three days and then usually correct/consolidate for next few sessions.

Bhaumik, I have started going through the tender. What I have understood so far is that the concession period will be 30 years + 20 years [ if both parties agree] @ annual fees of Rs.1/-.

Today, came across this news item…

Biyani looks at acquiring cold-storage company to drive food business:

Pls make a note of this…

“The company plans to open two more such food parks in Kharagpur in Bengal and Madhya Pradesh, he said.”

Some Random Thoughts…

For a Food Park, won’t he need agricultural goods, cold storages, logistics and transportation facilities and a strategic central location?Could this be at Itarsi in MP as it’s a commercial hub for agricultural goods and a major railway junction with NH-69 connectivity? Pawarkheda just 8 km away…Composite Logistics Hub…Mandi Board…advantage KMLL?

What do you think? Views invited…

I believe KTIL / KMLL have been very intelligent with the location choices they have made so far. Continuing the trend, this pawarkheda project seems another proof of their ability to convert location into an advantage. Any project from the food sector in the area certainly seems like advantage kmll

@All,

I was really missing senior VP member’s views in this thread, so queried it to Hiteshbhai. Reposting his unbiased views for all:

//quote:

advait,

I havent looked at kesar terminals in details but from numbers it seems good. I dont know the quantum of debt but if it is too high relative to its size I would be careful bcos of a precedent set earlier by Arshiya in a similar space.

Regarding whether one can enter or not is one’s own call one has to take.

unquote//

Request the forum members to update on debt situation. How much are they planning to raise? What will be the impact on financials? Will they be able to service the debt easily. Just wanted to be sure that it should not become a debt trap by going the Arshiya way.

Disc:Watching and waiting for entry

just started reading this book- Zebra in lion country:Ralph wanger-dean of smallcap investing-just comparing his tipsto KTIL- fits perfectly.

Latest updates comes from my friend:(another co-worker in ktil also owns shares of ktil)

KTIL-has a total of 100 employees(incl HO) , KMLL project work is progressing but looks like beginning/mid of 2015 it will be functional. KTIL has a very reputed management, my friend has worked there for 4and a half years and his salary was on time credited before 3rd of every month.KTIL chairman a very honest and comes from a very old and royal family i believe(he used the word royal) Also added that if we visit HEL-Hindustan aeronautical limited- a central government organization in bangalore-Mr kilachands grandfathers statue is erected and is something which they are proud of.KTIL also has major chemical distributors like CJ SHAH, KLJ GROUP, PETROCHEM and many others -major clients.

i was indeed very happy and relieved to learn about the management of KTIL, seems a very strong and very well connected management, can take the business to next level. :-))

I came across some updates posted in Money Control Forum: contributor-sarojpatni2

I went to the office of KTIL to find out the revenue and net profit projection of KMLL but despite my visit and several mails they have not given me any details though the company secretary is promising me to send the same within a week whenever I have called him.
However since my two days visit to PAWARKHEDA was to find everything about this project I travelled about 200 kms. around their site, visited three MANDIS at Kheda,Hosangabad and piperiya. Met the mandi officials and wholesale food grain dealers. Each of them were very positive about the project. This whole region is a huge food grain growing belt for Soyaben,Rice, moong and Chana. There are several big Soya oil producers like Ruchi Soya , Sawaria oil are located within 70 kms. radius of KMLL… They send their finished product all over India and export also. At present they are using Bhopal,Hosangabad and ITARASI stations.Once KMLL starts their railway project they will shift to their site to avoid logjam and lack of infrastrucure at these stations.
The project is located between Itarsi and Hosangabad right on the highway and existing running rail line passes just next to their boundary wall.The moment they get permission from Railways they may start loading unloading through their railway warehouse as inside the boundary everything is almost ready.
As the promoters are of 75 years experience they must have selected this site after going through each and every possibilities and must be convinced about a great future. Whatever is their projection after my visit I am convinced the project will be a huge success.

Apart from the 89 acre land allotted for this project additional 25 acre is given to them for developing Agro processing warehouses and shades to rent out to the small manufacturers which they were planning to develop in the 2nd phase only. But due to very good demand from the interested parties they are planning to build the same in the 1st phase only.
As per initial plans they were planning to build one Custom Bonded Warehouse to rent out to exporters but one big towel manufacturer and export house based about 13 km from this project is willing to hire the entire warehouse, now they are planning to add one more Custom Bonded Warehouse exclusively for exporters only.

The following are my observations:
(1) This is first such project if not in entire India than at least in MP. The 1st phase is 80% complete .3 warehouses are 100% complete and they have started renting out the same. In one of the warehouse saw one company keeping their goods and 50% of the area is hired by them?the constructions is of international class and very futuristic looking.
(2) 800 meter long rail warehouse is also complete. All the rail tracks are laid inside the project.they are waiting for the permissions to start from the Railways and expecting to get it by December 2014. State govt. is very helpful but Central govt. and Railway permissions are taking time. But it should start by Jan. 2015. Once it starts renting out the warehouse is just a matter of time because at Itarsi station I was told by railway staffs that everyday about 250 passengers trains coming and going hence loading unloading of goods train is very time consuming. Entire rail infrastructure at Itarsi station is 50-60 years old. Once KMLL project starts it`s rail project people are ready to shift their work to them.
(3) They have 4 tracks inside out of which one track is exclusively for container services. The container storage area is 90% ready. 2 tracks are at both side of rail warehouse and in a day they can handle 5 rakes of goods train.
(4)Work on the 3800 ton Cold storage is going on very fast and by December 2014 it should be also complete .
(5) Office building plus Custom office area is also 90% complete and should be operative by Jan 15.
The project head was with me for the entire time and the entire project is being constructed on war level.
Overall I was very impressed with the project and will invest more in KTIL on every dip.
Looking forward to questions from other boarders and will write more about the project in coming days as I spent two entire days to enquire about the viability of this project .

Thanks Vijay for sharing the favourable inputs by Saroj Patni after his recent much needed visit to the facilities.

BTW, In aniticipation of favourabe Q2 results and riding on in with the overall bullish market sentiments today, it broke the old high of 360 to touch new high of 387, eventually closing at 371, a good 14% jump.

Please share if anybody has worked out the projections for the Q2 result which is due on 5 Nov.

aksh,Vijay, must be bumper results, warehouses already 100% complete and left for rent, also ktil comes with results only on 2nd week November, this time early on 5th?

Q2 result is out with decent set of numbers…

http://www.bseindia.com/corporates/anndet_new.aspx?newsid=8b64eec4-28fa-4d20-b0c8-0835dccd35c3

very good set of numbers i must say ,aksh and other seniors what are your targets? 4 digits doesn’t seem far :-))

I still remain fearful about the current ratio. It seems the balance sheet has gotten weaker in the last 6 months. Now, it might be able to sail through this and strengthen it’s balance sheet, but with these numbers, I remain fearful.

Anyone who has insights?

Short term liabilities are ~13cr and short term assets are just ~5.8 cr. What is the plan of the management to sort this out? Where is the additional money going to come from in such a short time? Do they have some deals in the pipeline? Have they announced that they’ve raised some money? Are they going to raise debt and has it been approved? How much debt and at what rate? Is the parent company going to help out? It’s a 240 Cr MCap company, so these amounts can make a difference. The profit in this q was flat at around 3.7Cr, so can’t rely on that either.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but this seems to obvious to ignore?

On the first look,KTIL business model looks easy and simple to understand but when we dig deeper,there are some unanswered questions.

Currently they are operating at capacity in Kandla,Guajrat,the future growth has to from capacity expansion or better realizations.Their other 2 projects at Kakinada,AP and Pipav,Gujarat are still work in progress.However,all their focus is currently on building Kesar Multi modal logistics park(KMML) in MP which is expected be a game changer for the future growth of KTIL.

KMML is a special purpose vehicle in which KTIL has 99% stake.This is a 89 acre project under public private partnership,land was given on a long-term basis for 33 years which includes creating warehouses like rail warehouses,agro warehouses,creating cold storage facilities,Container Frieght services,Container Depot and rail sidings to connect to the railways.This logistics park will be accessible by multiple modes like road,rail. Business model looks convincing since the logistics in India is still a developing sector.Organized retail and growing consumption among Indians have created the need for parks like this.This business has a high entry barrier and less competition.If a park like this is set up in an area like Phaerkeda,there is no point in creating similar one closer to this area.It does not make any economical sense for the competition to get the painful approvals,building the infrasturture and finally finding no takers for their project.So,in that case KMLLâs choice of location is really good based on the available information in the public domain.More over,one of the memberâs comment about this area being the grain belt adds comfort about this location choice.It is conveniently located next to the rail track and National Highway clearly shows the managementâs business acumen in selecting the location.These kinds of business requires huge support from the government, since they need permission from Railways,Highways and various other government agencies.Since MP is under BJP rule and now the central government also comes under BJP rule gives much needed relief on the political front.Both are pro-business governments.

On the management front,since the promoters have rich experience and the kind of team they have built shows their credibility and commitment to this project.

So,far the business model and the management look good.

But,There are so many unanswered questions still about this project.In one of the posts,i read that they took debt to the tune of Rs.400 crores.

1)How will this debt affects the balance sheet of KTIL?How much will be transferred to the KTILâs book?

2)Even if we consider 11% interest for this loan,interest payments will cross Rs.40 crores each year. Current balance sheet has a debt of Rs.55 crores and if we add Rs.400 crores it will be 7-8 times the current debt level.To pay the interest and cover the depreciation,the sales have to grow exponentially in the forthcoming years.How much sales KMLL will contribute from the current KTILâs sales of Rs.30 crores?

3)What will be maintenance cost of the KMLL?As per one of the report shared by harbin,for a project of this scale,the maintenace cost will bearound Rs.20-Rs.25 crores per year(Infrastructure,Equipment,other recurring costs).

4)What about the occupancy level of the rail warehouses,agro processing warehouses and cold storage?I know this is too early to comment on.Even if we take 50% capacity utilization,it has to generate a sales of atleast Rs.400-Rs.500 crores.Even if we take a OPM profit margin of 20%,it will be Rs.100,then there are Interest and depreciation.Will the sales grow 10 times In the next few years?

5)How do they fund the other projects in Kakinada and Pipav? May be equity dilution?

If we get to know about the financial part,it will provide a better picture and adds conviction to allocate a large amount of capital.

Please bear with me if I have stated anything incorrectly.I am still new to investing.

@Sambath,

If I recall it correctly, As per one of the ARs, total capital outlay required for KMLL project is 150 cr that is also in stages and they have tied up with some banks for the same. I think, MANDI board, MP being one of the major stack holder in the project, financing the project should not be a big concern as is the execution and timely completion of the project. Whatever info. we have received on this so far is satisfactory, though it needs to be tracked further.

@Shan,

I’ve not looked into the issue of current ratio that you talk about but high short term liabilities could be because of high payable in lieu of the advance received and if so is a good sign. It needs to be dug further though.

Disc: Invested