Jagran prakashan

Interesting to note the expansion in to Audacity:

We earlier had this discussion about the future of print media as the digital seems to be the future. It may still be some more years before the trend catches up with Hindi print media but one of the main newspapers in UK (Independent) announced “online only” service going forward and plan to close down the “print” edition for good.

Two main reasons quoted were downward trend in print subscriptions as well as fall in advertising revenue. I believe every newspaper company knows the digital is the future as the internet / smart phone users grow in India. I don’t see any immediate threat for JP but adaptability and leveraging thru other media (read Radio) will be key here.

best regards
Amar

I don’t take newspapers. Remember taking TOI and ET combo 6 years back. Now using iPad, smart phone laptop etc you get news from 5-6 different newspapers. Having said that an urban trend generalisation for a leading Hindi newspaper will not be right esp in a country like India. With Internet penetration a long way to go, Internet literacy still to catch up…print media is here to stay for quite some time. Radio play is definitely a bonus…I am somewhat bullish on newspaper business as its business model is easier to understand. Disc invested

3 Likes

Since it is evident that the revenue generated by advertisements play a major portion in newspapers business, in the current scenario it is very difficult for the news papers through electronic media to compete with that of print media. Since, the main reason is the use of ad blocking softwares in websites to reduce ad traffic, while in print media I cannot help but notice an ad let alone blocking it.
Any discretion is welcome.
Disc:Not invested.

1 Like

blackstone backed jagran prakashan likely to dilute stake in its radio business.disclosure invested

@tigershark Plz give the source of info

vcc circle i get their news letter once a week , it was the main headline in yesterdays letter but this piece of news if one needs to read the full article have to pay for it.

vccircle to be exact

As Vivek mentioned - you need to subscribe to read the complete article.

Only headline accessible… Looks like they are selling stake to fund next round of radio auction

thank you @tigershark @gurjota and @wpf123

Interesting but isnt the radio business now merged with parent company? So will they be diluting the stake in listed Jagran prakashan? Can you share some key points?

In one of the last two concalls someone had asked the question about demerger of radio business and management had told that they do not rule out possibility of a demerger in the future if it creates shareholder value. So while diluting stake that might be an option.

Need to watch the developments though.

1 Like

What percentage of total revenues come from the radio business?

You need to go through investor presentation for that.

1 Like

Got it here - > http://jplcorp.in/JPLWeb/UserFiles/Jagran_Result_Update_Q3_FY15.pdf

Segment---------------------Q314(Rs Crores)-----------------------Q315(Rs Crores)
**1.**Advertising-----------320.4---------------------------------------338.4
**2.**Circulation-------------92.4---------------------------------------100.0
**3.**Others-------------------41.1-----------------------------------------32.1
(Must be
the radio
one alone)

Conclusion- Revenue from radio segment declined from 9.1% to 6.8%. Others increased

Reminds me of ‘diworsification’ from the book one up on wall street.

ricky,

Jagran is focussed on radio biz in areas where it is strong in the newspaper biz. If u go through their rationale, there is a lot of synergy between the two businesses. They can offer bundled packages for advertisement to their suitable clients. And both businesses come under the broad category of media.

And regarding comparing the two quarters u need to dig a bit deeper to find out exact contribution from radio. Others also included out of home advertisement. (OOH) where their focus is progressively reducing. There is even mention about selling some of the assets in the segment.

If u are invested/interested in investing, try to go thru company’s annual report/presentations/concalls etc as there is a wealth of information.

7 Likes

@hitesh2710 and others

Annual reports - I can get them online
What about concalls and Presentations ? Where to get them?
Please guide me.

Please use
reserchbytes

1. Researchbytes doesn’t contain concalls and presentations for all companies.

2. Even worse, many companies themselves doesn’t provide concalls and presentations of their own company (for example, I searched for concalls and investor presentation for Rexnord Electronics and Controls within the company website but I couldn’t find anything).

what to do!

What if I am unable to find conference calls/investor presentations for certain companies, neither in websites like researchbytes , nor the company website itself .

Whats the process to get more info in such cases?

1. I guess one can call the company itself. How much likely that the company will ignore such calls?
  2. What are other possible options?
1 Like