Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

I went through the articles but couldn’t find the answer.

I have a question regarding buybacks.

If promoters are not participating, would that increase the acceptance ratio of retail shareholders or would it remain unaffected.

Also, when does a buyback have to be approved by shareholders.

Thanks

I want to know from where we can download audio of conference calls. One source I am aware of is stockadda. But shouldn’t they also be available on the company websites or some official source.

Thanks

Does anyone know how record day and settlement for cash based trading works

So if record date for determining rights or dividend is 15th Feb and I sell on 15th Feb, does it mean I am still eligible to apply for rights issue as I have to only deliver the stock later on settlement date

Would appreciate if anyone knows how it works

Thanks

This is a query on taxation of debt funds:

If a person invests in a debt fund in their parent’s name who doesn’t have any income, how will the profits (say 1 lakh) be taxed in the following two scenarios?

• Sell within 3 years leads to STCG acc to tax bracket- so no tax
  • Sell after 3 years leads to LTCG, 20% with indexation. In this case the person will end up paying tax.

Thus selling after 3 years is counter-productive for such individuals, correct? Or am I missing something?

I think there is no tax if the total income from any and all sources fall below the basic exemption limit. So it does not matter, how a person has generated income if it is below 2.5 lacs and 3 lacs (if they are senior citizens).

1 Like

Hello.
Similar kind of buyback was done by DCM Shriram last year. What they did was they selected the time duration in which they will buy fixed no of shares i.e. Allocated capital / 450. However, since it is open market and hence the price can go lower or higher than Rs. 450. In such scenario I noticed that big retailers, fund mangers, etc. sold their holdings in the buy back period along with some retail investors. For DCM shriram, buy back price was Rs. 450. When buyback started the market price was Rs. 300. They continuously bought the shares almost each day and published the no of shares bought and remaining on their website. Once they reached the allocated capital limit or number of shares, whichever is earlier, they stopped. For DCM shriram, the allocated capital was not fully utilized and hence later on they had given the dividend to the remaining shareholders.:slight_smile: Also note that for DCM shriram the price went higher than 450 also. I myself sold @465.
Happy investing.

1 Like

Hello…

I am quite a novice at investing and still finding my legs in the accounting world…

Question - Why is the figures of “Depreciation & Amortization expense” differ in P/L statement and cash flow statement ?

From P & L Statement :

From Cash flow statement

• This is from GNFC’s AR 2014-15

Thank you

Can some one explain this or point to some guide. What is the difference between these three and why so big price difference between these?

These options have different Expiry, June 2020, 2022, 2023.
The longer the duration to expiry, higher the time premium for uncertainty you are carrying.

1 Like

As Lokesh put it, these three options expire each a year apart. The longer the duration, the more chance of the Option expiring “In The Money” and hence higher the premium (Price) of the Option.

Think about it this way. Say, you want to short a stock. You’re already convinced that the stock is bound to fall. But there’s a problem. You don’t know when the stock will fall. Given this scenario, for which Option would you pay more? The one expiring in 3 months or the one expiring in 3 years? Obviously, the one with 3 years’ expiry, becasue there’s a higher chance that the stock will fall within 3 years than it will within 3 months (Assuming no other Inside Information, market manipulation or anything of the sort).

3 Likes

Thanks, I did not realized we have multiple year options available. Got confused if it has any thing to do with weekly options approved recently.

@rupaniamit

Is it correct to think that, if Debtor days are increasing, then the company will be able to have that much lesser inventory turnover, and hence lesser operating profits, FCF and RoE.

As a solution, a company could use short term debt to fund the increasing debtor days and bring a balance to the other ratios. This will, however, affect the margins. Hence, if the nature of the business is such tht the margins are small to begin with, then taking on additional debt will not help the bottom line.

For ex. Harita Seating has OPM 6%. Debt costs upwards of 8%. So it makes no sense for it to take on any debt.

A humble request. Pls use minimum accounting jargon in your replies. :slight_smile:

@dineshssairam

For Tata Chemicals.
It has a good OPM of 20% even better it was able to reduce it debtor days from 85 to 45 in 3 years. That is a good improvement, right? These numbers are one of the best. Management now has spare cash to cause more sales.

But not quite, its Sales figures have been falling for past 3 years. Then what is the strategy?

I don’t follow the Chemicals space or really any Commodities company. So take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

1. Yes, Tata Chemicals has improved their Cash Conversion Cycle largely owning to a drastic improvement in Receivables Days.

2. Yes, the company has also been able to generate a good amount of Cash in its Balance Sheet.

3. But no, they have not deployed to Cash into Fixed Assets, which leads to Sales generation. Their Fixed Assets have actually reduced over the 3 year period. So, the fall in Sales isn’t a surprise.

I have no idea why any of this happened though. I’m answering from a purely theoretical perspective.

1 Like

FII/FPI 28-Jan-2019 6678.52 6455.08 +223.44
DII 28-Jan-2019 3717.26 3624.94 +92.32

If both the FLL and DLL bought today…how come the nifty sensex and midcaps corrected that much today…I dont think retailers can bring market down…any clues?

@jamit05 - I am not a big fan of financial jargons myself. Will try my best to keep things very simple.

I will assume that company business economics demands investment in Working Capital to generate incremental growth. As you rightly said, if debtor days are increasing, it will put pressure on the company’s WC. Either company has to fund WC from internal accruals or outside debt. Let’s assume that company takes additional debt for investment in WC and then see impact on each item that you have mentioned independently:

Inventory Turnover: Company should be able to have right inventory levels (because of debt) to support growth in sales. So no big impact at a high level.

Operating Profits: No impact to EBIT or EBITDA. Increase in interest cost should reduce net profit margin.

FCF: Lower net profit means lower FCF as some cash was given away for principal and interest payment.

ROE: Lower NP but higher leverage should balance ROE and there should be minimal impact depending on the weightage of NP to leverage.

As I mentioned above - one needs to check what impacts ROE more. Decrease in net margin or increase in leverage and to what magnitude.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Amit

3 Likes

Hello,

Can someone please point me to a resource where upcoming de-mergers can be tracked.

Thanks

1 Like

Since there is a lot of uncertainty in the market (and its still very expensive), I am thinking of parking my excess cash (viz about 10% of my total networth) in a liquid fund. Right now it’s in my savings account.

I am thinking of putting it in a liquid fund for the next 2 months and will look to invest as we near closer to elections or maybe even post the elections.

1. Is this a good strategy?
  2. Where are you folks parking your excess capital as you wait and watch (And if it’s in liquid funds, what are some of the better ones?)