Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

I made this post some time back, I hope it answers your query as well:

You could look at companies your screen returns and find out their historical performance. In fact, this is one of the criteria for a good screen that I mention above (Tweak around your screen to ensure it throws a bunch of great companies).

I would seriously advice against this, even if you do find one. Screener has very generalized data and you can’t find out the value of a company from generalized data. You can, of course, use it to calculate some basic Ratios or find growth trends etc., But that should be it.

The way I suggest Valuation should be done is take half a day, settle down with the company’s AR on one hand and tea on another. Use the internet extensively to do research whenever required. If you need a Valuation model which works like that, here is mine:

I personally use Screener to identify companies, MoneyControl to do basic Ratio Analysis, Stock Mojo to find out miscellaneous details about the company, ResearchBytes to access the concalls and of course, ValuePickr for getting perspectives on the stock.

2 Likes