Hindustan Zinc - Galvanize Capital of Investors?

It is market and when there is buyer there is seller. Appreciate your effort to bring counter viewpoint which is always helpful. Thanks for providing critical view on Zinc price.

I, however, continue to hold my positive view the article highlight about forward selling of Nyster as one reason to project lower prices. The other way to look at despite forward selling by the producers, the Zinc inventory is still declining and demand supply situation in deficient. Even a marginal strength in demand, could result in spurt in market. Having said that, increased forward selling by all miner could work on decline in price.

Further, the enclosed article indicate short price with target of USD 2400 per tonne. Even at lowest estimated level, it is still higher than FY17 average Zinc price of $ 2,364 per tonne. Jan to May 2017, Zinc price is USD 2700 per tonne. So average realisation during FY18 is expected to be better, even in worst
case, during FY18.

Discl: I have invested in the company and hence my views may be biased. Investors are advised to do their own due diligence.

2 Likes

Hindustan Zinc results announced. As compared with Q1FY17, sales and profit shown signficant growth. However, if compared with Q4FY17, there has been lower production of metal, lower realisation (due to decline in LME price also rupee appreciation) and higher cost of production. We shall get more insight in earning call at 4 Pm today.
http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/002214fb-5c76-4a7b-95f7-485271d6110f.pdf

2 Likes

Mr. Duggal expects the price to firm up to $3000/t. https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2017/07/21/asia-s-biggest-zinc-producer-sees-prices-heading-to-decade-high

1 Like

Interesting article providing insight into Hindustan zinc business

2 Likes

Good article.
How management handled capex and drive growth.

Hindustan Zinc Annual report for FY17 provided following updated information sourced from Wood Mackenzie data.

Company continue retain mine lfe of more than 25 years. Expected to spent around $ 350-360 million during FY18 on on-going mine expansion projects, fumer and smelter debottlnecking. The company expect to have metal and mine production higher than FY17. Traget to reach more than 1.2 million tonnes mined metal capacity by FY2020. In FY17, the company achieved 906,984 tonnes (Zinc+Lead) production which indicate CAGR of 10% p.a. volume growth during FY17-20 period.

Price outlook continue to remain optimistic for Zinc as well as Lead in international market.

Disclo: Among my top 5 holdings and my view may be biased.

1 Like

There’s plenty of positive and negative stories (1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5) for Zinc metal.

The biggest negatives are from the miners/producers themselves viz. A) forward selling/hedging at current price levels by the producers and B) voluntary production cuts and mine closures.

2 Likes

Interesting link shared by Rahul Jain on Zinc expected supply. According to the article, increase supply in medium term is likely to keep Zinc price under check

Thanks Rahul for sharing this link

1 Like

Booming Metals Rally Signals Optimism on Global Growth

COMMODITIES

Investors pile into industrial metals, pushing prices of copper, aluminum and zinc to multiyear highs

Prices for copper hit their highest level in nearly three years last week.
Prices for copper hit their highest level in nearly three years last week.PHOTO: KHAM/REUTERS

By Ira Iosebashvili and Amrith Ramkumar
Aug. 21, 2017 5:30 a.m. ET
Bullish investors are pushing the prices of copper, aluminum and other industrial metals to multiyear highs, betting that recent signs of resurgent global growth and falling supplies will stoke demand for raw materials.

Prices for copper hit their highest level in nearly three years last week, and zinc reached its highest price in a decade. Aluminum has climbed to three-year peaks and iron ore has rallied nearly 35% since the end of May. Shares of miners have also soared, with the MSCI World Metals & Mining Index up roughly 13% during that span.

Driving the gains are expectations that this year’s nascent rebound in global growth will continue, with major economies around the world shifting into higher gear after a long period of lackluster performance. Many investors are also betting that reduced supplies and a selloff in the dollar will continue boosting prices, which had fallen in recent years alongside other commodities as new producers saturated markets.

The recovery in copper and some other base metals “has really only just begun,” said Christopher LaFemina, an analyst at Jefferies. “There’s much more to go.”

Global investors view demand for base metals as an important gauge of economic health, as they are the building blocks of construction and used to make everything from airplanes to smartphones. A continued rise in metals prices could help push up inflation in the U.S. and abroad, giving central banks a freer hand to raise rates or taper the massive monetary policy programs they have employed to kick-start growth in the aftermath of the financial crisis.

The rally in the metals sector affects everything from currencies in developing markets to debt from commodity-producing countries, some analysts said. Rising metals prices are a boon to countries like Australia, a major iron ore exporter, as well as Indonesia and Chile, which produce nickel and copper, respectively. The Australian dollar has risen almost 7% against the U.S. dollar since the end of May, while the Chilean peso is up roughly 4%. The iShares J.P. Morgan USD Emerging Markets Bond ETF has risen in five of the past six sessions through Friday and posted an 11-session winning streak in mid-July, its longest in more than five years.

With the backdrop for metals looking more supportive than it has in years, investors have piled in. Net bets by hedge funds and other speculative investors on a higher copper price stood at 120,175 contracts for the week ended Aug. 15, the highest level since the Commodity Futures Trading Commission began recording the data in 2006.

ADVERTISEMENT
The one-sided positioning and pace of the rally has concerned some investors, who worry that prices have gotten ahead of fundamentals and disappointing news could spark a rush for the exits.

“When the whole world gets crowded into one trade, it typically ends in tears,” said Christopher Stanton, portfolio manager at Sunrise Capital LLC. Mr. Stanton took profits on most of his copper and nickel positions last week. “If anything, this is a market begging to be shorted.”

Although analysts have cautioned that some investors have gotten ahead of fundamentals, recent supply disruptions and a strengthening global economy have continued to fuel the rally. The International Monetary Fund most recently projected global gross domestic product growth at 3.5% for 2017, up from 3.4% last July. The IMF raised 2017 and 2018 growth estimates for China, the world’s top metals consumer, citing strong credit growth and fiscal support. It also increased euro area growth projections, highlighting diminished political risks.

UBS Wealth Management advised clients to take a position in aluminum earlier this month, saying the metal will benefit from tighter supplies and stronger global growth.

That backdrop has buoyed metals prices, which have in turn supported stocks of miners such as Freeport-McMoRan Inc. and Glencore PLC. Shares of Glencore, one of the world’s largest coal, copper and zinc producers, have surged more than 20% since the start of June, though still well below a high reached in 2011. Freeport’s shares have climbed roughly 23%.

Lucas White, a member of global investment management firm GMO’s focused equity team, last year urged investors to buy shares in natural-resource producers as a way to take advantage of beaten-down commodity prices. A year later, Mr. White still believes “there’s good value in the mining companies,” and is “overweight” the sector.

“We believe these companies can generate earnings and cash flow,” he said.

Expectations for future supply shortfalls are fueling gains as well, some analysts said. Aluminum prices rallied recently after China cut its refining capacity and cracked down on illegal producers of the metal as part of an effort to fight pollution. Falling global stockpiles and production cuts have helped boost zinc prices by more than 20% this year. Although the International Copper Study Group, an organization of copper-producing and -consuming countries, currently sees refined copper usage and production almost equal, some analysts including Mr. LaFemina expect supply to taper off while demand growth stays steady.

A weaker dollar is also buoying prices, as metals are denominated in the U.S. currency and have become more affordable to foreign investors. The WSJ Dollar Index, which tracks the currency against 16 others, has declined roughly 7% this year.

A potential source of trouble could come from China. Economists have previously anticipated a broad slowdown in the second half of the year, as China’s leaders signaled they would continue efforts to tackle rising debt levels and curb home speculation. Evidence that growth may be cooling came last Monday, when data showed that the pace of Chinese industrial output, retail and housing sales and fixed-asset investment decelerated in July from the previous month and came in below economists’ expectations.

For now, however, investors are confident that China will prevent growth from slowing too much ahead of a key Communist Party leadership shuffle this year. And while some data wobbled in July, key metrics like total social finance—a broad measure of credit that includes bank loans and nonbank lending—remain robust compared with prior years, said Jerry Lucas, a senior strategist at UBS Wealth Management.

“China is trying to do a fine balancing act going into Party congress this fall,“ Mr. Lucas said. “No one’s interested in rocking the boat.”

Write to Ira Iosebashvili at ira.iosebashvili@wsj.com

2 Likes

Zinc continue to remain deficient globally, alhthough extent of deficiency declined as per International Study group latest press release on Zinc and Lead
http://www.ilzsg.org/generic/pages/list.aspx?table=document&ff_aa_document_type=R&from=3
Referred to August 2017 PDf release for more details

Another link from Platt Metal providing update on Chinese situation in Zinc
https://www.platts.com/latest-news/metals/hongkong/about-60-of-zinc-lead-mines-in-chinas-sichuan-26788467

2 Likes

Zinc price spike sparks flurry of miner listings

http://www.mining.com/web/zinc-price-spike-sparks-flurry-miner-listings/?utm_source=digest-en-mining-171013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digest

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Hindustan zinc announced Q2 production which is increased by 30% in volume with significant jump in silver production. Price at LME also gone up and board indicated interim dividend as agenda item in next meet on October 23.
http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachHis/be493e3d-53fe-473a-ae42-c9c6946167c4.pdf

Discl: HInd zinc is my second largest position in portfolio. Investors are advised to do their own due diligence as my view may be biased due to my holding.

5 Likes

So far, so good for HZ. Dhiraj’s analysis and this below article make a lot of sense…but its not in my nature to trust bullish predictions when things are going good. I will have to come to terms with the guilt of selling too soon. :disappointed:

Analysts expect Hindustan Zinc’s EBIDTA to rise to Rs 15,000 crore by FY20 and its net profit by 34 per cent to Rs 11,000 crore. Based on these estimates, the company’s stock is trading at 5.6 times FY20 EVEBIDTA and 13.5 times expected FY20 earnings.

2 Likes

@vasuadiga

There are no permament winner and looser. Further, something might not appeal despite having all factors to support the company. I have biase in many case as I have seen promoter dark side very closely while dealing as bank person in stress assets. I never get comfort on such company despite all other factors are good and many time miss multi begger. However, my conviction level would always remain low in such companies and hence despite great price rise, more likely I am going to book profit after 25-35% gain due to limited conviction. So nothing wrong in booking out early. In fact, my hypothesis can completely turn 180 degree in case negative news for china, new mine becoming operational or Vedanta group taking control. There might be some other unknown factor which can completely ruin the case.

Personally, I evaluate my risk profile and then company propsect at given price. It matches, then invest else pass with specific comment on why it was rejected. Investment is very individualistic process like spiritualism in my opinion. You had your logic and rationale for selling and i also concur with your view to conservative when market is full of optimism.

Having said that, I still feel that we are proabably yet to reach end of bull phase and may continue to see positive surprises. I may be completely wrong after 6 months. However, that is my current view on the company.

Discl: Hind Zinc is among my top 2 holding and my view may be biased due to that. investor are advised to do own due diligence before taking any decision.

5 Likes

Moderate results by Hindustan Zinc.
http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/ae37a7b1-eab8-472a-aecb-b81b03386290.pdf
Highlight from Conference call and press relase

Cost
The increase in zinc price was partially offset by high coal/coke prices. Coal price increase from $ 48 during FY17 to around $ 80 per tonne during Q2FY18 ($ 100 per tonne currently). HZL has already arranged from 40% of coal requirement. Further by end of December, it is expected to receive domestic coal which shall reduce depedence on imported coal. The company increase COP (without royalty) to $ 900-950 tonne. The increase in employee cost was also due to effect of increase in salary which was effective from July quarter. HZL is in discussion with workman union for long term wage agreement from 2017-2022 period for which it provided some amount which also resulted in higher increase in employee cost.
There was some increase in cost of due higher development work in mine. HZL expect that development work to result in improve propsect of higher mine production and have positive impact on company fortune in medium term. Mine wise development area is provided in press release. As per press release, Capital mine development increased by 77% yoy to 9765 mts during Q2FY18 across all mines.
HZL may save around $ 20-25 per tonne next year when shafts are fully operational.

Profitability
Lower other income (due to lower investment resulting from special dividend) and higher taxes resulted in lower profit growth vis EBITDA. HZL also reversed Rs 291 Cr being District mineral foundation liablity as per favourable ruling by Supreme court.

GST
No change on GST for the company, marginal decline in zinc was offest by higher silver GST.

Production
The company also hedge 25% of annual production during the year as per press release.
The company is way to achieve 1.2 mn during FY20 and exepct to increase 1.5 mn tpa long term.
The company indicate total metal production of 0.95 mn tonnes per annum metal production during FY18. Average grade of Zinc mune was around 8.13 grade in Q2FY18 vis 8.4 grade during Q2FY17.
Around 80-85% of mine production was underground and expect to have neglibile share of open mine during FY19.

Global market
Zinc metal is likely to remain in deficit from 1-1.5 mn tpa during 2018 with global improvement in major economy growth and would continue to remain deficit in medium term. China is also adding to demand for zinc. Increased demand growth (around 1 mn tpa ) from Fertilizer sector as land nutrient. Inventories are multi-year low. Even with expected increase in mines, Zinc would continue to remain in deficit in short to medium term. Zinc price may remain in range of $ 3000-3500 during the next quarter.

Discl: HZL is among by top 2 holding and investors are advised to conduct their own due diligence before investing. Futher, my view may be biased due to my interest in the company.

7 Likes

Hindustan Zinc Ltd. - Stock Note 181017.pdf (769.3 KB)
Latest research report by HDFC SEC.

3 Likes

Good insight analysis. Thanks dhiraj dave

From G Chokkalingam, whom I respect a lot…

It is already reported that many users of metals like zinc are unable to make any meaningful profits by using the metal in their own outputs. Such booming prices would obviously bring down the profitability of metal users and ultimately hit their demand for metals.

Disclosure: I still own metal stocks NATIONALUM & NMDC, which together form a big part of my portfolio.

1 Like

@vasuadiga

Thanks for sharing the view. It is difficult for any peson to predict cycle correctly. The key reason for increase in metal prices increasing global economy growth rate. The global economy growth rate is expected to remain strong in 2018 and 2019.

I would just like to provide two forecast of World bank on which we have discussion on thread. In October 2016, World bank forecast for Zinc price was as under:

Let us look at World Bank October 2017 forecast

Within a year only Price forecast increased by $ 300-400 per tonne !!!

Personally, in my opinion, we would still see zinc price going up for medium term. I am neither an expert nor have any rationale to justify my opinion, but that why it is “opinion”. It may be completely wrong.
However, key point about longer gestation period to new supply to commence, declining quality of ore requiring higher prices for reinvestment and stong global economy growth rate driving improved demand for zinc are the main factor which shall drive consumption.

When article cover about higher prices of zinc on consumption industry, I would like to refer to Wood Meckensie report which has been shared on thread referring to Zinc price being non-remunerative for almost decade which resulted in lower investment by miner/producer in the exploration.

Further, I also try to see how much supply is likely to come in market. I refer to one old presentation of Zinc player which provided expected growth in zinc supply by mine in slide 9.
http://www.minmetalsresources.com/en/Investors-and-Media/Reports-and-Presentations/~/media/Reports%20and%20Presentations/Presentations/2014/IZA%20Update%20Feb%202014.ashx

The largest supply was expected from Dugald river which was expected to commence from 2016 as per the presentation. Find enclosed latest update on the mine which still expect to commence operation from first half 2018. So nearly 30% of 2017 incremental supply just did not came ! Hence, I believe that supply siutation is likely to remain short in medium term.

Discl: Hind Zinc among my top 2 holding and also added during last month. My view may be biased and investor shall do his/her own due diligence before investing.

2 Likes

This was among my worst Exits.

I bought Hind Zinc many many years back at Rs 10 average price for 20K shares.
Sold them at Rs 25 (average) and it never looked back.

And, I never invested in Hind Zinc after that.

2 Likes