Habits of an Investing Pro

I was reading some articles on Warren Buffett and was thinking what are the habits of a great investor.

This article showed one:

One of the students asked what he could do now to prepare for an investing career. Buffett thought for a few seconds and then reached for the stack of reports, trade publications and other papers he had brought with him.

âRead 500 pages like this every day,â said Buffett, or words to that effect. âThat’s how knowledge works. It builds up, like compound interest. All of you can do it, but I guarantee not many of you will do it.â

Remarkably, Combs began doing just that, keeping track of how many pages and what he read each day. Eventually finding and reading productive material became second nature, a habit. As he began his investing career, he would read even more, hitting 600, 750, even 1,000 pages a day.

Another One:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-22/weschler-rise-from-grace-leads-to-role-advising-buffett.html

Like Buffett, Weschler sought an edge by studying company filings and dozens of other publications. The former hedge-fund manager once told David that he didnât make an investment unless he had spent 500 hours studying the idea.

Some earlier posts by Donald mentioned some:

1). Be a prolific churners of stocks & ideas

2). Devour large number of annual reports

3). Take one idea at a time and do a PHD on it

4). Have a absolute open mind and be humble and listen to everyone

Any more specific habits?

1). See corporate announcements every day like

2). Large large bulk/ block deals?

3). Track good investors

Would really appreciate some insights here.

Also, what is the time and cost efficient way to do the above? J

Regards

1 Like

This article showed one:

http://www.omaha.com/money/investors-earn-handsome-paychecks-by-handling-buffett-s-business/article_bb1fc40f-e6f9-549d-be2f-be1ef4c0da03.html Link: http://www.omaha.com/money/investors-earn-handsome-paychecks-by-handling-buffett-s-business/article_bb1fc40f-e6f9-549d-be2f-be1ef4c0da03.html

I believe envisioning, imagining and balance sheet reading/interpretation plays a huge role. e.g. SKF and FAG - two bearing companies, same amount invested at the same time may have very different results. Competent technology with both. But profitability can be hugely different.

At the time of investment, I looked at only engineering capability and world class standing of products. I could not envision or interpret co-relationship between labour costs of production and related profitability.

AK

1 Like

In addition to the good pointsalreadymentioned, i will suggest to listen to the management conference calls too (at researchbytes.com)

Brokerage-firm analysts also attend the con-calls. A couple of times I in past few days, I invested in a company after hearing their new con conference calls. The stock moved up 10-15% in 4-7 working days (brokerage firms / mutual funds may have bought into the stock) and then brokerage firms came up with buy rating (with higher target price).

2 Likes