Gajendran Portfolio

Dear Seniors,
I am new to this forum. I am attaching my stock Portfolio here. Kindly have a look and share your valuable feedback on my holding

Asian Paints Ltd 4.3
Avanti Feed Ltd 1.2
Bajaj Finance Limited 5.3
BHARAT PETROLEUM 2.8
Dilip Buildcon Limited 9.9
DEWAN HOUSING 6.3
HAVELLS INDIA LTD 2.2
IDFC Bank Ltd 1.9
INDUSIND BANK LTD 11.4
LARSEN & TOUBRO LTD 12.8
L AND T FINANCE HOLDINGS LTD 2.9
MARUTI SUZUKI INDIA LTD 5.7
Mahanagar Gas Ltd 1.5
MOTHERSON SUMI 0.6
RBL Bank Limited 6.9
RELIANCE INDUSTRIES LTD 2.6
STATE BANK OF INDIA 8.5
STERLITE TECHNOLOGIES LTD 1.2
Tata Global Beverages Limited 0.2
TATA MOTORS LTD 5.6
YES BANK LTD 6.2

Asian Paints Ltd 4.3
Avanti Feed Ltd 1.2
Bajaj Finance Limited 5.3
BHARAT PETROLEUM 2.8
Dilip Buildcon Limited 9.9
DEWAN HOUSING 6.3
HAVELLS INDIA LTD 2.2
IDFC Bank Ltd 1.9
INDUSIND BANK LTD 11.4
LARSEN & TOUBRO LTD 12.8
L AND T FINANCE HOLDINGS LTD 2.9
MARUTI SUZUKI INDIA LTD 5.7
Mahanagar Gas Ltd 1.5
MOTHERSON SUMI 0.6
RBL Bank Limited 6.9
RELIANCE INDUSTRIES LTD 2.6
STATE BANK OF INDIA 8.5
STERLITE TECHNOLOGIES LTD 1.2
Tata Global Beverages Limited 0.2
TATA MOTORS LTD 5.6
YES BANK LTD 6.2

Your portfolio is good enough. But returns will be slow, say 10-12% annually, due to balancing factor of one going up and another going down. Do not think for windfall gains with your portfolio and you have to be patient to hold for a long term of at least five years. It is better to chose a maximum of 11 stocks in one’s portfolio finding out the best investment opportunities like when a company is implementing expansions with their own reserves due to heavy demand of its products, rising OPM, promoters raising their own stake etc. I shall advise you to discard some of the companies which are giving low returns replacing by some other companies with promising futures. Please go through the discussions on Bhansali Engineering Polymers on this forum and also another stock viz. Mysore Petro. I shall suggest another from my side is Tanfac Industries.

1 Like

@psarma123 sir, thank you so much for your feedback and new ideas. I am too thinking to trim my portfolio size to 10-15 stocks. I have started in Mar-2016 only, so far my overall gain 26%. Tata motors & IDFC Bank biggest laggards in my portfolio (-20%) so far.

When you start trimming your portfolio then remove the stocks which are laggards. Do not sell your winners.

Well its a good selection of companies if you are new in the markets (less than 1-2 years). Well I personally believe one needs to ask self about the expectations from the stock market when one invests into it. While many would suggest restricting to 5-10 companies, I personally dont believe in such as long as I see potential in the stocks i invest in. I have invested in more 150 companies and have been investing in the market since 2002 and have been fortunate enough to have 30-40% annualized return.

Sadly most indian companies doesn’t have the best corporate governance and best interest of the investors; similar is the case with the brainless indian government which keeps changing policies year after year (telecom, coal scam, breweries, Nestle Maggie saga etc). Hence as a personal policy, I don’t believe in allocating more than 5-10% in any company no matter how bullish I am.

As it takes efforts of 2-3 years for a company to show some sustainable growth, do have the same patience with your stocks as long as its financial results are in line with your expectations. Sometimes
stocks dont run for 2-3 years but when they do, they compensate more than your patience.

P.S - Defense Companies can give good returns for the ones who have the patience to hold for 3-5 years. Also adding some pharma stocks can give good returns with 3-5 years patience. (Aurobindo Pharma, Granules, Sun Pharma, Alembic Pharma etc)

1 Like

can you throw some light on defence stocks that is worth looking at from a 3-5yr time frame

Thanks bbbutra sir & Pandi sir.
Any stocks suggestion on defence sector for 5 years ?

I have invested in the below stocks which are into defense sector as well. Its more safer since you are not just relying on Indian government for the orders, everyone knows how good our politicians are when it comes to interest of our economy as against the vote bank.

1. Bharat Forge
  2. Bharat Electronics
  3. L&T
  4. Tata Motors
  5. Reliance Infra (Pipapav is a subsidiary, however its better to play defense as well as construction to minimize the risk)
  6. BEML
  7. HCL
  8. Zensar Technologies
    9)Titagarh Wagons

M&M is also into it but I am yet to invest in it. My total exposure in the above mentioned companies is around 10% of my portfolio. Will look to increase more during corrections.

Thanks for sharing the details.
In one of the interview with DD Sharma he did mention about Tata Power that it has projects (directly/indirectly) related to the defence sector. Any thoughts on that?

I do hold Tata Power as well. Tata Power’s SED division designs, develops and produces strategic defence systems. It is a prime contractor to the ministry of defence for indigenous defence production. However, Tata Power performance overall has been quite a disappointment and hence not that excited for it.