Eicher Motors

@Sathya57 has RE bikes started selling in Dubai ? Does RE have stores in Dubai ?

Exclusive showroom opened in June 2015 I guess but dealerships in some format should be there before too.
http://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-enters-dubai-12154500.html

yes, RE has a showroom and warehouse in Dubai. its in an well know industrial area layout. RE still has to find traction with the other expats. have traditionally seen RE been ridden by Indian expats here. very affordable when u compare with other roadsters.
Dubai resident

3 Likes

I am in a Latin American country these days and believe me, Bajaj Pulsar 200 is everywhere here. It sells at 2 times the price in India, is used as a workhorse (mid level bike), unlike India where its sold as a premium bike and Bajaj showrooms are everywhere around the country.

Bajaj is the only large Indian brand visible in this market. RE has started out, but hasn’t made that much of a splash yet. I do get to see loads of Harleys, some Suzukis, Hondas and distinctly cheap Chinese branded bikes. Yet, I get to see around one RE a month maybe.

My only concern, as I have been saying in earlier posts is about the quality of RE bikes. If the quality is decent, maintenance issues are taken care of (Bajaj AFAIK has mechanics travelling from India to Latam for training the local staff in maintenance), there is no reason why RE couldnt become the darling of the world. The PE ratio would then be totally justified.

Disclaimer: Waiting for a fall to invest in Eicher since 4000 levels :wink:

4 Likes

I look at RE being in a phase that is similar to what Harley went through between 1998-2003 Harley.xls (984.5 KB) (see data from fact sheet and graph below).

In case of RE,in the last five years, revenue growth was approximately ~5x. However, till FY17E, I am expecting profitability to grow ~3x. The rest is icing on the cake viz be in VECV or new intros like Multix…They all will keep the mind share going but the real beauty is to replicate what Harley did in volumes. If all these pan out, I expect the valuation story to be similar to what Harley commanded in those fabulous years. Also, from 2003, inspite of not so fantastic growth, the bull market before 2007, made it a 10 year story. Of course, trouble started with the strike in 2007 and it took many years to recover from there for Harley before they rediscovered their mojo…

PS - Invested. views are positively biased. This is not buy/sell reco. pl do your own research

Royal Enfield sets up direct sales subsidiary in the US

To cater to the North American market, niche bike maker Royal Enfield has set up a direct distribution subsidiary in the US, its first outside India.

The company, the two-wheeler division of Eicher Motors also plans to open its fully-branded retail stores in the US that will sell its entire product line up of motorcycles and gear. Royal Enfield’s first fully branded retail store in the US will soon be launched in Milwaukee that will retail its entire product line of motorcycles and gear.Over the next 18 months, the company plans to launch several such stores in key metropolitan areas across the US

In 2014, Royal Enfield sold more that 3 lakh bikes globally. In 2015, the company aims to produce 4,50,000 motorcycles to support its growth strategy globally.

Read more at:

2 Likes

Wow! In lion’s den!!, the choice of Mikwauke, where Harley is HQered

4 Likes

Royal Enfield takes the middle path in global ride
Enfield sees potential to become a key player in the market for middle-weight motorcycles worldwide

A blog reviewing RE Bullet bought in 2011. Quality issues it seems still continue: http://www.wirally.com/2015/08/buying-bullet-not-read/

1 Like

I am somewhat disappointed seeing this. Growing up in Chennai I had been to RE plant both during student days and later during my earlier sales engineer days in 70s and I used to be appalled by the lack of quality in the bikes they produced. The earlier promoter did not have the kind of scale, money power to invest, outdated technology and volumes were pathetic. I thought everything had changed with the advent of Eicher. Agreed that its 1 guy but I have written to the so called investor relations email id. Knowing India and how everyone is treated so cheap, I really don’t expect a response but let me see

@Janit

Thanks for sharing useful review Janit. While a good company need to have customer satisfaction at the top most criteria for successful business, I would think it would be far fetched to extend one example and generalize that RE has quality issue. If RE has consistent quality issue, that would have definitely reflected in slow down in demand.

Having said that, even a one instance of such dissatisfaction shall be addressed at the earliest by the company.I would continue to hold my shares as I believe this incidence being exception then rule.

Other member may give their opinion as well. Once again thanks for sharing link.

Discl: I hold Eicher share and my view may be biased.

1 Like

Some Interesting news though not confirmed from the company.

http://www.shifting-gears.com/2015/08/17/410cc-royal-enfield-himalayan-to-be-priced-rs-1-65-lakh/

2 Likes

Nice review, worth reading. Considerig Eicher’s recent sales growth, this should definitely be an exceptional case.

Just think about it - When Apple launches their iPhone every year, there is some issue or the other always with their phones over the past few years.

These phones have had major Network call drop issues/buggy iOS updates, etc. When iPhone 6 was launched last year remember seeing popular YouTube videos of how keeping it in your pocket for a long time would bend the phone itself. (And this is real, not a joke)

How much of this negative publicity / feedback has hurt Apple? Their quarterly revenues are more than the yearly GDP of a lot of countries.

I think some of these companies have reached a cult status and they need to commit some major bounders for people to sit up and take notice.

PS: Not invested and don’t have much knowledge about Eicher’s business model.

1 Like

RE enters Indonesia:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/mccode/news/article/article_pdf.php?autono=2701701&num=0

1 Like

RE (All chrome and shine) features in the new Macklemore song: http://imgur.com/gallery/FN6asnO

Sales of Royal Enfield Rocking for the month of August.

Commercial vehicles

L/MD volume increases:

Monthly sales up by 27% 1988 units from 1571 and Exports up by 6% from 241 to 255 units.

HD volume increases

ETI sales up ETB from 485 to 569.
VTI sales up 60 to 100.

Bus sales down.
Only 452 units compared to 515.

So for the month of August, RE is having the run as usual with the Low/Medium/High Duty vehicles doing good and recovering. Only drag seems to be the Bus division.

1 Like

I would say RE growth of YoY 59% is better then expectation assuming order backlog continue to remain same. Since November 2014, when RE annual sales growth was 51.9%, this is only time when growth rate exceeded 50%, and that too on larger base.

Further in CV also higher growth rate in Volvo truck also indicate better prospect at least for sales realisation for Volvo truck is very high. Not sure how it would impact margin of CV business.

Overall, number for August 2015 exceeded my expectation (assuming wait period of 4-5 months for RE).

In next conference call, I expect formal announcement of new plant of 500,000 units in TN by the company.

I had a chance to speak with my colleagues and friends who own RE. Most of them are satisfied with the vehicle. However there has been feedback from old users that there are certain minor issues with the clutch, engine oil leak etc… Some of the new users are extremely happy. Overall all of them are proud to own this retro designed bulky beast. They do not have any interest to switch to any other bikes. Also they are proud to refer this machine to others

I strongly believe. since now they are planning to make it big in the rest of the world, they make look in to all the intricacies in details and resolve all the minor issues.

“CAFE RACER” Themed bike Continental GT International Launch, London. This video is awesome and from the feedback received from experts feel like RE can make it big in the coming years.

Was browsing through the continental GT and found this:

3 Likes

New Target of 22,500 by Religare.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/mccode/news/article/article_pdf.php?autono=3005681&num=0