Digitization- A game changer for TV18?

Lets take few indicators…

1. FMCG companies and all other companies are competing. Customers have opened their wallets to buy. They have to advertise. They will pay more money for advertisement.

2. TV Today network in Q3 shows sudden jump in sales. Profits shoot up. This is very important. This shows that TV companies are fixed cost businesses. As sales go up profits shoots up.

3. World over TV companies are great cash cows. Why can’t this happen in India?

4. Digitization will mean atleast the TV companies will hold their valuation if not go up. Risk reward favours the investors.

I have myself read peter lynch books. He has given good insights but applying his principals at wrong places may not work out.

I am loaded up in TV companies

TV18

TV Today network

Zee news

People gets irritated with ads while watching program/movie on TV. Also YoTube has startedmonetizing it’s video platform so more and more advertisersmay turn to them.This technologies may be great substitute of TV channels.

This might betemporaryimpact of digitization and may be used byincumbentinvestorsto lure retail/new investors.

World over TV companies were allowed to become great cash cows in absence of Internet penetration and alternatives.

what is the use of investment if they just hold valuation and not go up.

principals are, by definition, time-less and also place independent otherwise they are just methods.

People startedmonetizing advertisersmay turn to them.This channels.

Do not agree on the above part. I think Internet penetration in India is still under 10% so it has long way to go before it actually eats into TV ad pie. Also, even today in US(with 75% internet penetration) TV advertising is much much higher then internet advertising. Moreover, If you watch youtube, you still see ads in videos so people will get irritated there too.

If you also take into consideration, the low speed of broadband in India, you will understand that video ads are not going to shift anytime soon to Internet. Although I must say, things could be slightly different 5 years from now with better internet connectivity and launch of 4G which will create a shift to video on mobiles.

Hitesh Sir,

As I said, I respect your views a lot. I am not even suggesting TV18 as the next big thing (thats the first thing I learnt from Peter Lynch’s book).

My views were only due to the following facts :

1). Whevener any sector has gone through Digitisation/shift in technology a lot of developement/money is made. Happended with Stock Exchanges when they changed from Floor Trading to computer based/with Telcom Sector during Telecom Revolution etc.

2). The Rights Issue proceeds should help them repair balance sheet and reduce interest costs

3). The carriage fees and the subscription revenues should kick in with digitisation.

The major and the biggest negative is the Management. Do not trust Raghav Bahl or Mr. Ambani.

Was only investing for the change in the industry.

1 Like

I think this is quite a beaten down sector. Infra and media might churn out a few bagger (although they are horribly managed sectors and with the most stretched balance sheets). The Balance sheet might just start improving from here with digitization and interest rates cycle peaking out.

It is difficult to predict whether they can be 3 baggers from here but who has ever predicted the markets. I believe there are quite a few opportunities contrary to many here (humble apologies for my opinion).

There have been Hindustan Dorr which has wildly fluctuated from 125-25-125-25 and many more for reasons unknown - may be because markets are open everyday morning :slight_smile:

You will however have a few sleepless nights buying a tv18 though. It might be better to buy unichem and enjoy some time with your kids…

~Supratik

I have internet at home and also TV at home. If i have to just remember an AD that i saw last, i cannot recall AD from YouTube but i can recall AD from television AAj tak or CNN IBN channel. People don’t surf just to watch you tube site. Youtube is just one portal. There are many other reasons why people hook to internet. But in case of TV they just hook to view the videos. So advertisers will have more impact with TV viewership than with internet. Also the televisions are now becoming very attractive with LCD, Plasma’s with digitization picture quality will change for good. People will spend more time watching channels. I see TV viewing more as a relaxed entertainment but net for doing more useful stuff.

But digitization will clearly bring some looser and some winners in the sector.

To an extent, I agree with your argument…you have a mobile but you continue to have a calendar at home and a watch on your hand.

1. FMCG companies and all other companies are competing. Customers have opened their wallets to buy. They have to advertise. They will pay more money for advertisement.

People gets irritated with ads while watching program/movie on TV. Also YoTube has startedmonetizing it’s video platform so more and more advertisersmay turn to them.This technologies may be great substitute of TV channels.

Youtube should share ad revenues with the content providers.Point here is content value is getting increased and obviously some of the tv channels who hold content over the years should get better revenues.

**This may not be true with news channels as they should always show current affairs, but with entertainment channels (Sun and Zee) the way they can generate additional revenue for the content is increased.

Who will watch you tube? No one does

Yesterday i asked Mr Ramesh Damani regarding the fall of TV18. This is what he has to say:

Question

Sir can you tell me why stock of TV18 has crashed and do you see value in it to buy it at current market price?

Reply from Ramesh Damani

No particular reason for the fall. Market is sluggish

Hi Rakesh,

With technology improving and increase in the boradband penetration this segment will increase.

1). Tablets will become one device for streaming of this content. e.g. I have wifi in my house and lot of time I watch the news on my mobile.

2). With wifi cost coming down and with probably Mukesh Ambani bringing in a cheaper 4G technology more and more people will be moving to broadband.

3). We will be shifting to on demand videos gradually…

Although this will take time but with internet embedded in tv’s and with wifi availability, youtube will become more of an defacto.

how many people will watch you tube.

http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.aspx?id=39487&boxid=26937104&ed_date=2013-2-20&ed_code=820040&ed_page=10 Link: http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.aspx?id=39487&boxid=26937104&ed_date=2013-2-20&ed_code=820040&ed_page=10

Its not question of how many people going to use it. Once it is there in home, more and more people will start using it. Broadband is going to be there in most of the city home ( whereever students are there ). With this combination the carraige provider will be the worst hit because content provider needs to be there but carraige provider will be the telecom operators.

Found an interesting Sectoral Analysis article from Capital Market -

http://www.capitalmarket.com/CMEdit/story49-0.asp?SNo=616642

Link: http://www.capitalmarket.com/CMEdit/story49-0.asp?SNo=616642 http://www.capitalmarket.com/CMEdit/story49-0.asp?SNo=616642 Link: http://www.capitalmarket.com/CMEdit/story49-0.asp?SNo=616642

Some Excerpts from the above link:

"Industry Status

… is expected to grow at a CAGR of 17% over 2011-16, to reach Rs 73500 crore in 2016. The share of subscription to the total industry revenue is expected to increase from 65% in 2011 to 69% in 2016. The TV industry continues to have headroom for further growth as television penetration in India is still at approximately 60% of total households.

The move towards Digital Addressable Systems (DAS) is expected to bring a sharp change in market dynamics of the industry. Digitization would drive the much-needed structural change in the Indian broadcasting distribution, enabling fair monetization of content and equitable distribution of pay revenue. Incumbent broadcasters would be the key beneficiaries of effective implementation of digitization, since it would drive pay revenue, enhance entry barriers, and reduce carriage cost, followed by MSOs. Also, Digitization would erode the longstanding advantage of cable arising from tax evasion and underpayment for content. Consequently, higher cable tariffs would provide pricing flexibility to DTH operators.

However, the phase II digitalization has started. The phase II covering 38 cities across 14 states with 1 million plus population is the most important phase of digitization. Implementation of Phase II involves far more practical challenges compared with the Phase I. Phase II envisages digitization of ~23m subscribers compared with 8-10m in phase I. The government has mandated digitization deadlines as follows: â Phase I by end-October 2012. â Phase II about 38 cities by March 31, 2013. â Phase III all other urban area by end-September 2014. â Phase IV rest of India by end-December 2014.

Post successful implementation of digitization, broadcasters are set to gain on both the revenue front as well as the cost front. On revenue front, better subscriber addressability will lead to substantial increase in subscription revenues. At the same time, carriage and placement fees are expected to reduce as the channel carrying capacity in the cable network will increase. Besides, higher subscription revenues would help in reducing dependence upon advertizing revenues, which is more cyclical in nature. For mature broadcasters with large and established networks, the benefits of subscription revenues are expected to flow through the bottom-line without additional costs"

Other Developments

Bharat Business Channel, direct to home TV arm of Videocon Group, has received approval from market regulator SEBI for its proposed Rs 700 crore initial public offering. This will be second DTH company after Dish TV, which will be listed on exchange. The proposed IPO would comprise at least 25% of equity capital, giving a valuation of Rs 2800 crore to Bharat Business Channel. The company plans to use the funds for acquisition of set-top boxes, outdoor units and accessories thereof, repayment/prepayment of certain indebtedness and general corporate purposes."

Union Budget 2013-14

The impact of the Union Budget on MSO players is negative. Instead of MSO player’s demand of reduction or elimination of custom duty on Set Top Boxes, the Finance Minister has doubled it from 5% to 10%. As a result, there will be rise in Set Top Boxes prices. This may impact the process of digitalization and may future delay the entire India’s digitization process beyond December 2014. As per industry estimates, the total capex to be incurred over the four phases of digitization is estimated to be USD 5-8 billion, with the MSOs responsible for most of it.

Outlook

Digitization of cable-TV networks is expected to raise end-user ARPU as well as increase the share of broadcasters. After a couple of decades of paltry increases, growth in Indian pay TV ARPUs is likely to accelerate. A meaningful improvement in ARPU hinges on tariff hikes. Digitization is likely to drive step jump in subscription revenue of large incumbent networks allowing them to increase investments in existing and new channels.

Q4 is Poor, Sales Up by 17.75% and NP down by 45.17%, Dividend declared Rs1.5.

CONFERENCE CALL - from Capital Markets

Hathway Cable and Datacom

Expects ARPU in cable busienss to grow from Rs 105 to Rs 120

Hathway Cable and Datacom held its conference call for discussing results for quarter ended March 2016.

Key highlights:-

• On Y-o-Y basis, for the quarter ended March 2016 standlaone operating revenues grew 23% at Rs 331.92 crore. The loss at net profit level stood at Rs 45.91 crore against Rs 76.99 crore in the corresponding quarter of last year.

• On Y-o-Y basis, for the year ended March 2016 standalone operating revenues grew 14% at Rs 1166.38 crore. The loss at net profit level stood at Rs 171.34 crore against Rs 175.22 crore in the last year.

• On Y-o-Y basis, for the year ended March 2016 consolidated operating revenues grew 13% at Rs 2064.92 crore. The loss at net profit level stood at Rs 163.13 crore against Rs 180.45 crore in the last year.

• Subscription revenue from cable TV operations after adjustment (netting off LCO commission and entertainment tax) grew 10% to Rs 812.7 crore. Placement (carriage) revenue dropped to Rs 598.8 crore from Rs 626.9 crore a year ago. Activation revenue stood at Rs 227.9 crore, up 177%.

• 2.2 mn STB deployed in FY16. Hathway has 10.6 million cable TV digital subscribers, which is 87% of its total universe. The multi-system operator (MSO) has the highest number of digital subscribers in India. Its total cable TV subscriber base is 12.3 million.

• The company has 2.4 mn digital subscribers in phase 1, 4.2 mn in phase 2 and 4.1 mn in phase 3 and 4.

• Primary subscriber base of company is ~ 6.50 lakh

• HD subscriber stands at 100k.

• On a consolidated basis, the company deployed one million STBs in Q4. With this, Phase III subscribers increased to over 4 million. Hathway has an inventory of 1.2 million STBs.

• The exit ARPU (average revenue per user) for cable TV stood at Rs 105 in Phase I, up from Rs 100 in FY15. For Phase II, exit ARPU was at Rs 86, up from Rs 67 in FY15.

• Subscription revenue from broadband operations grew 61% to Rs 399.3 crore (Rs 3.99 billion) in FY16. Exit broadband ARPU was up 26% at Rs 670 from Rs 530 a year ago.

• Hathway invested Rs 206 crore in the broadband business and homes passed increased by one million to 3.3 million by the end of FY16. Its broadband footprint expanded to West Bengal and Central India.

• The company said it had completed the majority of technical infrastructure upgrade, which resulted in improved customer service and reduced customer churn.

• Broadband – The company is acquiring new customer at ARPU of Rs 840.

• The company is doing lot of thing to take any competition in broadband. It has put fiber to home in Kolkata and now started in Delhi which has high speed.

• Pace for digitalization in phase 3 was slow. Delhi high court has been designated by Supreme Court to take cases of stay given by various high courts. The mgmt expect it will end very soon.

• In Q4, Hathway Connect portal launched, which empowers LCOs to manage their networks with complete autonomy.

• Hathway connect - portal system – 45% of LCOs has already migrated and rest will migrate in next 40-45 days.

• The company has converted all its customer to prepaid mode in phase 1 and 2.

• Content cost – up due to contract for phase 3 area for content cost in Q4 done, but monetization will take some time. There is also normal increase in content cost. Content cost inflation is 10%. The company had major deal with broadcaster on fixed fee basis for 1 year and in some case for 2 years.

• Content deal is net deal of carriage. Net content cost is 27 per subscribers. Net content cost will go to Rs 30 per subscribers in FY17.

• Standalone Capex for FY16 for broadband was Rs 250 crore and for cable Rs 207 crore.

• The mgmt expects ARPU in cable to grow from Rs 105 to Rs 120 gng forward. Packaging and Hathway connect - portal system will help ARPU growth.

• Migrating subscribers to new pack will get completed in 30 days.

• Capex – For FY17 is Rs 300 crore out of which capex for cable will be around Rs 150-200 crore which will be mostly maintenance capex.

• Future capex will be fund through cash accrual basis. Funding for next financial year is arranged.

• The company is fully funded, no plan to raise capital.

• Standalone gross debt stood at Rs 1,583.6 crore and net debt at Rs 1,526.6 crore, as of 31 March 2016.

Siti Cable Network

Content cost expects to grow 15% on LTL basis in FY17

Siti Cable Network held its conference call for discussing Q4 FY16 results.

Key highlights:-

• On Y-o-Y basis, for the quarter ended March 2015, consolidated total revenues grew by 39% at Rs 356.7 crore. The company saw turnaround at net profit level at Rs 8.1 crore against loss of Rs 45.3 crore in the corresponding quarter of last year.

• For Q4, carriage revenue was Rs 63.4 crore (-14% YoY), subscription revenue was Rs 147.9 crore (4% YoY) and activation was Rs 78.2crore (271% YoY). Broadband revenue was Rs15.9 crore (101% YoY).

• The company added 1.1 mn video subscriber and 25500 broadband subscribers in Q4. The total cable subscriber stood at 12.2 mn, digit subscriber at 709 mn and broadband subscriber at 132500.

• The company has 2.2 mn in phase 1 and 1.5 mn in phase 2.

• Highest seeding for a particular year at 2.7 mn in year.

• Siti Cable now has the largest Pan India presence at 312 cities, in line with its strategy to expand in Phase 3 areas across different geographies

• The company is now offering 45+ HD Channels with 8 additional channels in the pipeline in the near future

• Broadband - Added ~4.5 lakh home passes and ~72,000 customers in FY16; Looking to aggressively roll out broadband in select geographies in the near future.

• The promoters infused fresh funding of Rs 530 crore. This was the first tranche of the previously announced Rs 680 crore funding. The Funding will be utilized primarily for debt reduction

• DAS 3 – 14 to15 High courts has given stay order. All cases has club under one in Supreme Court. The mgmt don’t expect any future delay in DAS 3 and expect this issue to settle in July.

• The company has 2.7 mn STB inventory. The mgmt expects this entire inventory will get consume in one to two quarter, once the stay order is lifted.

• 12 mn analog customer, 7.9 mn has been digital. The mgmt expect entire customer base will convert in rest of the year.

• Collection – monetization of DAS 3 will have major impact on the company as it has major part of customer in DAS 3 areas, which is still paying analog amount

• Activation revenue looking low QoQ due to acquisition of MSOs/LCOs

• Realization of STB - Rs 1000 on avg. realization on STB. Cost is around Rs 1150.

• HD – added 25k customer in FY16 and looking at adding 300k in FY17. Retaliation – net of LCO and net of tax will be Rs 50-60 above standard one.

• No subsidy on HD STB.

• FY16 - content cost was Rs 359 crore,

• The company is focus on putting infrastructure and acquiring customer in broadband. 200K plus adding customer in broadband in FY17.

• Broadband ARPU is at Rs 600 and expect to go Rs 750-800 in next 2 – 3 years period. Right now focus is on acquiring customer. Once acquired 1 mn customers then can raise ARPU.

• At end of FY16. Broadband customer retention is at 92%.

• There was increased provision for doubtful debt. Provided Rs 47 crore in FY16.

• Total capex for FY16 was Rs 636 crore out of which for Cable was Rs 582 crore and broadband was Rs 54 crore.

• 10.2 to 10.5% will be avg, cost of debt gng fwd.

• Foreign currency debt Rs 328 crore.

• Carriage fees expect to grow by 10% FY17.

• Content cost on fixed fee basis with major of broadcasters. Content cost expects to grow 15% on LTL basis in FY17 + new market addition content cost.

• Phase 1 collection – increase of Rs 10 -15 expected this year. It will go from Rs 100 to Rs 110 .

• Phase 2 collection – current at Rs 75, expects to take it to Rs 90.

• Total Debt is around Rs 1060 crore and net debt is Rs 730 crore. Net debt may go Rs 150-200 crore by March 2017 end

• Capex – Rs 300 crore year on year for broadband for next 5 yrs. From next yr, cable will have only maintenance capex , which will be not more than Rs 100 crore.

• 13-13.5 mn subscriber base expected ate end of complete digitalization

Disc: Not invested in either. But tracking the MSO players such as above.

All looks ok but I doubt they would slow down investments in filling white spaces. They need to have more channels to build bargaining power vs. MSOs. Jio would like them to invest more in content to fuel consumption of their data. Normalisation of earnings is not their priority at all. Their OTT is popular but it is due to their higher programming costs vs. competition like Zee or Sony. Surely they appear to be better prepared for the digitization wave but not sure about earnings.