Data Sources - MorningStar.in, Screener.in etc

Hi,
When doing fundamental quantitative Analysis (Common Size, Ratios) of companies i used two data sources (Balance Sheet, P&L, Cash Flow statements) so far.

1. MorningStar.in: (I am using the free services)
    PROS:
    Data is very descriptive and detailed (like Assets, liabilities, Equity, detailed Cash Flow). Its very much similar to how
    its mentioned in the Annual Reports.
    CONS:
    I Observed that latest 2 years data (2017, 2018) is not accurate. The previous 8 years it’s accurate.

2. Screener.in:
    PROS
    Latest data is accurate.
    We can create our own template and get the analysis in one go (FCF, COGS etc we need to calculate later).
    Latest data is accurate
    CONS
    The data is not descriptive. Like for example the balance sheet data sheet is not like the ones in the Annual Report. So
    to calculate ratios i end up taking data from MorningStar (Net Fixed Assets, Current Liabilities etc). Even the
    Cash Flow data is not descriptive (for FCF calculation).

Do you people have suggestions on data sources? Even if its a Paid data source please give details/Suggestions.

Regards,
Ravi Krishna Yendru

4 Likes

There is a + sign on screener, that expands the data
Some formulas are not accurate. I have created my own excel spreadsheet and scripts in autohotkey that goes to various sites and pulls data nice on the excel spreadsheet
The excel sheet then calculates remaining formulas - the whole excercise take a milisecond for basic data
Only morningstar for instance has historic P/E - I managed to download json files for all companies so P/E data json file is on my pc. The script opens that file and populates data on spreadsheet
Everyone goes through this, finding data at numerous locations. Sometimes you will find screener down or taken completely private or subscription based. In which case you can pull the same data from bse website
There is no one size fits all unfortunately
Screener also tries to implement as much features as they feel are needed and within the limitations imposed by the people they get their data from. I think historic p/e is not part of that as its not there on screener but ratestar has it.

1 Like

I use http://www.ratestar.in/home.

They have a nice interface, haven’t checked for data accuracies though.

They also have a android application which is pretty decent as well.

1 Like

Looks a exact replica of Stockaxis

There are a couple more:

https://trendlyne.com/

I have used the free versions and found these quite useful. Mojo has a premium version also. May wish to try.

Regards

Sandeep

1 Like

Any data you get from these sites is only the beginning as most of the time there are errors
For instance look at 20 microns, 2017 cash flow
Gurufocus & morningstar says operating cash flow was 52.38 which matches with annual report however look at others:
Screener & ratestar reports 2017 operating cash flow as 44.47 and
Trendlyne reports at 53

As always check key figures at different places - for me are operating and financing cash flow, and eps

2 Likes

Yeah i observed the same. There are inconsistencies in each one of them. Agree that we need to check from multiple source.

You guys could also check out our new prototype ‘Tijori’ for a quick business overview of a company. Fundamental quantitative analysis is still not available on the site but it should be out in the coming weeks.

5 Likes

Is there a way to find Morningstar’s rating of whether the company has a Wide Moat, Narrow Moat or no Moat from the company’s page on morningstar?

Take for e.g. Hindustan Motors

https://www.morningstar.in/stocks/0p0000buz6/bse-hindustan-motors-ltd/overview.aspx

From that page, I cannot find out the Moat rating for the company.

I have to go to https://www.morningstar.in/tools/quantitativeratings.aspx & search for the company alphabetically & check it’s Moat rating.

Is there an easier way to do this?

How do you get the json data?

I’ll send you a private message, if you have used a scraping program before like ruby nokogiri or python than its lot easier. If not then let me know what you are looking for from that site and I’ll scrape and upload for you to download

I would like to know this as well (Scrapping data from Morningstar.in).

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi Edward, Can you send me the details as well? I want to try as well…

Hi Edward

As you mentioned earlier that you find discrepancies in the data on various websites. While downloading, how do you decide which one to trust?
And how are you scrapping this data. Could you share this info with me as well?

Thanks

I use autohotkey which populates my excel
It’s the same like downloading excel from screener but because I have notes in my master sheet, I like to cut and paste screener data into excel. This is done via a script so I don’t get any html formatting

Data is quite clean now, you can’t avoid, sometimes the company itself misleads, not the process feeding it to screener. As in the case of shivalik rasayan, they consolidate the entire profit of medicamen into shivalik instead of 60pc that they own
There is no way to check from automatic data unless you read the annual report
But even then I missed it until someone from valuepikr brought it to my notice

I am not much aware about Autohotkey. But I have heard about python web scrapers. Is it something like scraping multiple pages at Screener and saving that data to excel?
Is it allowed over Screener.in website?

If you scrape one page, I dont think it will use a lot of resources at screener server to serve it. I dont scrape all pages, its pointless as screener screens does it more efficiently

Just wondering if there were any data repositories like Quandl for the Indian market that provide historical daily data in the form of APIs? I’m not a fan of web-scraping (BeautifulSoup) but can do if Quandl like things don’t exist.

2 Likes

I also have a question about obtaining data, and I thought I would ask it here instead of creating a new thread. If that is not correct procedure, please let me know.

The following chart shows a graph returned for Cipla from ratestar.in.

This chart is really a bunch of tabbed charts for the following financial data, extending up to 10 years in the past.

Chart Price | P:E | P:BV | EV:EBITDA | MCap:Sales | EPS

The data in these charts is very useful, assuming it is accurate. However, there does not appear to be an option to download this data. I haven’t yet created an Ratestar account, and it’s unclear what I would gain from creating an account. I’m surprised that there is no option to download the data. The only reason I can think of is that there is some legal restriction on sharing the data.

So my question is, where could I find historical data like this that I could download? 10 years would probably be sufficient. Anything further back than that would probably not be very relevant, though it would be nice to get historical data even further back. I’d be fine with paying for it, as long as it did not cost too much.

The usual outcome of a data download seems to be an Excel spreadsheet, but I don’t care what the format is as long as I can easily convert it to a CSV or TSV (comma or tab separated) format.

Ratestar doesn’t seem to have a paid option. The other two services that are mentioned in this thread are Morningstar and Screener. Only Screener seems to have a paid option, which I have not tried yet. I don’t see any download options for Morningstar. The free Screener option lets you download some data, but it does not include the historical data that I mentioned above.